Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not saying it makes it at all likely, because if nothing else how do you convince your troops that attacking a NATO country is anything but suicide, but I guess triggering Article 5 with troops you then claim are totally not yours and then being able to say perfidious Wagner lost the whole war for Russia could be a way out, sort of, kind of

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

MrQwerty posted:

Article 5'ing over some dead chickens is definitely stupid enough to be plausible in this timeline

66 million years ago: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs got wiped in an explosion

2023 AD: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs get wiped in an explosion.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

He's not going to attack Poland whilst his army has their collective dicks stuck in a Ukrainian woodchipper.

Its yet more clumsy attempts to encourage certain narratives to develop in the West, specifically among those of anxious dispositions (Willos, pre-2022 Germans, etc) to start thinking "Whelp, we gave Ukraine a chance but its counteroffensive failed, now is the time to sit down and iron out a peace deal before things start escalating - we can already see signs that it might!".

And for those saying that "But people thought he wouldn't attack Ukraine either!" - yeah, but Russia spent many many months building up its forces there, to attack a much weaker opponent than the combined forces of NATO.

If they continue to massively build up forces in Poland over several months (and lol good luck doing that when fighting an active war in Ukraine) then we can revisit their motives. But at the moment its pure theatre/infowar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Normally I'd just say it's hot air for an internal audience but I have to believe at this point the Russian federation really is stupid enough to attack into Poland.

i sorta get the logic because its basicaly a dumber version of Imperial Japans plan with pearl harbor and the strikes against UK/etc. they plan is "ok we invade poland a take a much as we can and hold it hostage and then force the homo nazis IMPs of the NATO to pull all support of ukraine then try to win a good peace".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the strike against pearl harbor made a ton of sense strategically, but the japanese were working on bad intel. the point was to catch the Enterprise or another carrier in port and sink her. the loss of a strategic asset like that would've seriously changed the tenor of the war in the pacific and given them a ton more momentum in forcing the US to stay in its own hemisphere. there weren't many illusions among tojo's in-crowd over what was gonna happen when the US eventually got around to entering the war.

unfortunately for the japanese, all 3 carriers were out on maneuvers and the consolation prize of a couple sunk battlewagons turned out to be nowhere near enough to hamstring the US response, especially after it turned out the Enterprise herself was so goddamn tough that she got the nickname "gray ghost" among the IJN. they beat the tar out of her like 3-4 times and she kept loving coming back.

by comparison, there's exactly 0 chance that any incursion into poland would hamstring any strategic response from anyone, even if wagner somehow rolled up and took warsaw.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ronwayne posted:

66 million years ago: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs got wiped in an explosion

2023 AD: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs get wiped in an explosion.

lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, my sources are confirming the nukes are launching at dawn

Mushrooms in the Morning Wood

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

spankmeister posted:

That church had nazi tattoos

That church had nazi tattoos and took pictures of itself playing with kittens.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just seems a waste of time and energy to get worked up over propaganda and maybes. Save it for when things definitely happen since we're all just posters on a message board.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tigey posted:

He's not going to attack Poland whilst his army has their collective dicks stuck in a Ukrainian woodchipper.

Its yet more clumsy attempts to encourage certain narratives to develop in the West, specifically among those of anxious dispositions (Willos, pre-2022 Germans, etc) to start thinking "Whelp, we gave Ukraine a chance but its counteroffensive failed, now is the time to sit down and iron out a peace deal before things start escalating - we can already see signs that it might!".

And for those saying that "But people thought he wouldn't attack Ukraine either!" - yeah, but Russia spent many many months building up its forces there, to attack a much weaker opponent than the combined forces of NATO.

If they continue to massively build up forces in Poland over several months (and lol good luck doing that when fighting an active war in Ukraine) then we can revisit their motives. But at the moment its pure theatre/infowar.

tbf even Willo called bullshit on this one.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

I hope I'm not in a timeline so stupid we start a nuclear war at the hen house.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I feel like you gotta say Wagner is doing *something* useful. Can't be that puccir's "best" troops are going to sit out the end of the war! No no they're holding the line against the Winged Hussars!

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Cuckoo coop coup.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The polish army is uh, well equipped, and unmatched in its artillery doctrine. While it's a small 200,000 man force they are not to be taken lightly.

Wagner at it's height sat at 76,000 soldiers. Now it's closer to what, 25,000?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tiaz posted:

THIS CONTRACT IS SEALED

full size, which really is above limits

it isn't quite, but is mostly 3x3 "pixels per pixel", so to say, so scaling that down 3x gets us

hitting the cap would be like 1.4x from here and I'm not a good enough pixel toucher to make that anything but a mess.
you don't have to buy it ofc, but if you feel like it there you go :)

This needs animation. So badly.

I love it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The polish army is uh, well equipped, and unmatched in its artillery doctrine. While it's a small 200,000 man force they are not to be taken lightly.

Wagner at it's height sat at 76,000 soldiers. Now it's closer to what, 25,000?

And is even more undersupplied now than it was when it was a Russian asset.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah I watched a few Wagner convoys rolling through and they had zero heavy equipment or armored vehicles at all. It was all Scooby Doo vans.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah this can't be anything more than just saber rattling

Because it would be the most incredibly stupid thing in the world for Russia to do if they tried

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Runa posted:

Yeah this can't be anything more than just saber rattling

Because it would be the most incredibly stupid thing in the world for Russia to do if they tried

They would absolutely get rolled as soon as they crossed Poland's border. And I have no doubt they know that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CommieGIR posted:

They would absolutely get rolled as soon as they crossed Poland's border. And I have no doubt they know that.

rolled is a very light way of putting it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

love a good understatement

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

rolled is a very light way of putting it

It would be the end of the world as we know it

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

redshirt posted:

It would be the end of the world as we know it

Yeah, but I feel fine

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
wrong thread

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ronwayne posted:

I hope I'm not in a timeline so stupid we start a nuclear war at the hen house.

Does that mean we live in the Skyrim timeline?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Drone_Fragger posted:

Reminder that russia was opposed to the space shuttle, and built their own, because they thought the states real plan was to fill it with nukes and then suicide bomb the kremlin with it.

To be fair to them, the reason they thought that was that they had their own rocket scientists go over the published Shuttle materials, and they told them that Shuttle will never be effective at its stated goals and that it will be a worse launcher than the rockets it replaces. Then they assumed this meant that it had to have nefarious secret goals. Jokes on them, NASA (and the congress, and the AF) just hosed up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The shuttle had nefarious purposes involving in orbit maintenance on spy satellites, but ended up just doing that with the hubble.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Lammasu posted:

Does that mean we live in the Skyrim timeline?

The Russophobic epithet "Chicken Chaser" is from an entirely different timeline.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The shuttle had nefarious purposes involving in orbit maintenance on spy satellites, but ended up just doing that with the hubble.

The shuttle serviced and recovered a whole bunch of satellites. The whole point was to have something with a toolset and trunk space onboard to do poo poo the conventional rockets didn't - and it did that fine.

It wasn't meant to be a more efficient way to put people or satellite payloads into orbit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

the popes toes posted:

The Russophobic epithet "Chicken Chaser" is from an entirely different timeline.

They call him Czar.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Shinjobi posted:

Just seems a waste of time and energy to get worked up over propaganda and maybes. Save it for when things definitely happen since we're all just posters on a message board.

I dont think anyone in the thread expects it to happen, were just loling at how much of a shitshow it would be if it did happen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

Same as it ever was.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Tuna-Fish posted:

To be fair to them, the reason they thought that was that they had their own rocket scientists go over the published Shuttle materials, and they told them that Shuttle will never be effective at its stated goals and that it will be a worse launcher than the rockets it replaces. Then they assumed this meant that it had to have nefarious secret goals. Jokes on them, NASA (and the congress, and the AF) just hosed up.

They realized it was dumb but still attempted to build their own hoping to figure out it's secret purpose after constructing it?

lol

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

tiaz posted:

THIS CONTRACT IS SEALED

full size, which really is above limits

it isn't quite, but is mostly 3x3 "pixels per pixel", so to say, so scaling that down 3x gets us

hitting the cap would be like 1.4x from here and I'm not a good enough pixel toucher to make that anything but a mess.
you don't have to buy it ofc, but if you feel like it there you go :)

tiaz posted:

I don't think I could halve the US flag and keep it legible. Honestly I'm not great shakes at pixel touching myself, the machine did the resize operation. Here's a try at replacing the US flag with a UA one but we probably want a real deal creative convention poster for this/adding dustclouds for a hauling-rear end animation

These are awesome.

If the thread comes to a consensus I'll.buy whichever

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

weg posted:

They realized it was dumb but still attempted to build their own hoping to figure out it's secret purpose after constructing it?

lol

They thought it might be a nuclear space bomber kind of thing.

quote:

The report concluded that an American space shuttle, launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and flying from south to north over the Soviet Union, could make a “dive” in its orbit as it passed over Moscow, and release a nuclear weapon. This technique would enable a weapon to be deployed from the shuttle and detonate over Moscow 200 seconds later, far faster than an American submarine-launched ballistic missile could accomplish the same task. This nuclear dive-bombing would presumably be part of a knockout punch to destroy the Soviet command and control network before the USSR could launch a counter-strike.

According to Shubin, the report went to the Central Committee of the Communist Party where a debate took place, resulting in Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev ordering that a set of alternative measures be developed to secure the country from such an attack. Shubin writes that the report was circulated among several Soviet organizations and that it had a significant impact on the Soviet space program. But what the report actually said was not known publicly, and so over the decades it has only been told and retold and distorted by people who had never seen it. Shubin is the first to uncover it.
https://www.thespacereview.com/article/3855/1

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

redshirt posted:

Best thing to do when your invasion is failing? Open up a second front against the most powerful military alliance.

I take it you’ve never heard of the IJA and IJN.

So I expect Putin not to have heard of them either.

Uh oh.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How's this?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
:lol:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

tbf even Willo called bullshit on this one.

Jesus Christ well that settles it then