Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife is informing me that "something racist happened in some decade where it was filmed"
I assume more than usual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I spent this 4th of July in a small rednecky town and saw surprisingly little Trumpery. There was a Brandon sticker at the front of the gun range, but it was tastefully subtle.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

My wife is informing me that "something racist happened in some decade where it was filmed"
I assume more than usual?

Apparently the music video was filmed in front of the site of an infamous lynching in 1927. And included footage from BLM protests as part of its threats, while conspicuously missing anything from, oh, say... January 6th. It's not subtle.

I haven't directly watched it to confirm anything, nor would I actually know about the courthouse where the lynching happened anyway. But also hate-watches are still engagement numbers so gently caress that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeahhhhh buddy I tell u whut u better not do that in a small town, otherwise people will stare at you silently and refuse to engage with you, then talk about how you’re Different after you leave

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Everyone in Florida who finds out I'm from Chicago asks about the shootings.
Florida has for the last few years on record about 1000 more deaths each year from shooting than Illinois

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeahhhhh buddy I tell u whut u better not do that in a small town, otherwise people will stare at you silently and refuse to engage with you, then talk about how you’re Different after you leave

Specifically talking to the local priest who is a good man but we don't let around the kids for reasons that we rather not talk about.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Okuteru posted:

Come to think of it, when was the last time urbanite musicians sang a negative song about rural areas? Someone like Taylor Swift wouldn't be caught dead singing a song about small towns dying to drug use and domestic issues.

The Killers did a really poignant album Pressure Machine about Nephi, UT where Brandon Flowers spent some time growing up. The album contrasts both the reasons people love living there and the problems they’re facing. It’s got people struggling with drugs, a gay guy contemplating suicide, a cop extrajudicially killing a wifebeater, teenage girls getting railroaded into domestic life, all that jazz.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

The Killers did a really poignant album Pressure Machine about Nephi, UT where Brandon Flowers spent some time growing up. The album contrasts both the reasons people love living there and the problems they’re facing. It’s got people struggling with drugs, a gay guy contemplating suicide, a cop extrajudicially killing a wifebeater, teenage girls getting railroaded into domestic life, all that jazz.

I feel like a lot surburbanite bands have songs about how small town life can be both magical and mundane/boring/bad. My favorite band Barenaked Ladies have a song basically every album about how small town life is confining.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Even a gay high school friend of mine who is usually nominally liberal is posting "Us 1% who are not offended by everything need to stop catering to the 99% who are" :jerkbag:

Why loving Jason Aldean is the hill these people have decided to die on is mystifying. This town where my friend and I graduated high school has a history of being a rough place. Thirty-plus years ago an openly gay guy like him might have been lynched or harassed by the same people he's standing up for now.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Upsidads posted:

Everyone in Florida who finds out I'm from Chicago asks about the shootings.
Florida has for the last few years on record about 1000 more deaths each year from shooting than Illinois

The best part about Chicago is that chuds have been conditioned to think it's an active warzone so they generally stay away. Ok, maybe that's not the best part but that's because Chicago is an amazing city.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Even a gay high school friend of mine who is usually nominally liberal is posting "Us 1% who are not offended by everything need to stop catering to the 99% who are" :jerkbag:

Why loving Jason Aldean is the hill these people have decided to die on is mystifying. This town where my friend and I graduated high school has a history of being a rough place. Thirty-plus years ago an openly gay guy like him might have been lynched or harassed by the same people he's standing up for now.

Except they're loving offended by and hate everything.

Bud Light, teachers, atheists, curse words, Greta Thunberg, Bill Maher, Hollywood actors, SNL, sexually active women, the liberal media, Disney movies, bathrooms, kneeling for the anthem, people who dislike guns, people who recycle, abortion, Soros, the FBI, Fauci/vaccines, rich athletes, vegetarians, social media moderation, proud black people, openly gay people, green energy, defense and trial attorneys, "activist" judges, democrats, immigrants, unions, science, drag queens, COVID masks, musicians/rappers, California/NYC/DC/Chicago, early/mail in voting, the USPS, Zelenski, France, healthcare...

Hell, I could save time and just list the poo poo they're NOT offended by: The Bible, guns, cops and the flag.

And the things they like: The Bible, guns, cops, and the flag.

Also BBQ

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Conservatives seem to intentionally keep their world very 'small' which makes it easy to feel like every aspect of it is under attack. If my whole existence is chicken tendies, nerdcore music, smash bros final destination fox only no items for instance then everything different than that is going to feel like a threat. People enjoying broccoli becomes an attack on my food tastes. Rap is bad and "not real music" because it's not like my music. Girls getting into vidya games and being critical of Big Titty Fox McCloud or whatever becomes an attack on my tastes and an omen of things to come.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thirty-plus years ago an openly gay guy like him might have been lynched or harassed by the same people he's standing up for now.

"If I'm a Model Minority I'll finally be accepted by everyone, including these face eating leopards! Ow oof ouch the leopards are eating my face" seems to be the most common reason for that poo poo. Alternately, gently caress You Got Mine ladderpull but I'd assume you'd already know if he was like that.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ColdBlooded posted:

The best part about Chicago is that chuds have been conditioned to think it's an active warzone so they generally stay away. Ok, maybe that's not the best part but that's because Chicago is an amazing city.

They say that about every blue city.

Panfilo posted:

Conservatives seem to intentionally keep their world very 'small' which makes it easy to feel like every aspect of it is under attack. If my whole existence is chicken tendies, nerdcore music, smash bros final destination fox only no items for instance then everything different than that is going to feel like a threat. People enjoying broccoli becomes an attack on my food tastes. Rap is bad and "not real music" because it's not like my music. Girls getting into vidya games and being critical of Big Titty Fox McCloud or whatever becomes an attack on my tastes and an omen of things to come.

So 4chan?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pogonodon posted:

"If I'm a Model Minority I'll finally be accepted by everyone, including these face eating leopards! Ow oof ouch the leopards are eating my face" seems to be the most common reason for that poo poo. Alternately, gently caress You Got Mine ladderpull but I'd assume you'd already know if he was like that.

"All those other minorities are getting their faces eaten because they walk around yelling I DON'T WANT MY FACE EATEN if they stayed quiet they'd be fine hey where did my face go"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BiggerBoat posted:

Hell, I could save time and just list the poo poo they're NOT offended by: The Bible, guns, cops and the flag.

And the things they like: The Bible, guns, cops, and the flag.

Also BBQ

Note: “the bible” here meaning the abstract concept of a holy book that makes them good people and everyone else bad people.

Confronting them with the actual contents of the book they use for this purpose is likely to offend them even more.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Soricidus posted:

Note: “the bible” here meaning the abstract concept of a holy book that makes them good people and everyone else bad people.

Confronting them with the actual contents of the book they use for this purpose is likely to offend them even more.

True. It would probably be on DeSantis' school library poo poo list if any of these idiots ever bothered to read it

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The right has been spending a few days frothing about the US women’s soccer team not singing the national anthem. They aren’t mad at them for kneeling or not putting their hands over their heart, they’re mad that they’re not singing.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1683180784016924673

I don’t watch sports at all, so please tell me if I’m the idiot here, but that’s never been a thing, right? The few times I have watched the beginning of a game, all I can remember is people standing reverently. Everyone is focused on the one person singing, and I don’t recall audience camera pans ever showing anyone mouthing the words.

It’s a really good demonstration of the right’s ability to make up new things to get mad at.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
But if they don't sing magic song freedom doesn't happen

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Freest fairest country in the world"

:laffo:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You occasionally see people mouthing the words on the field but it's in an absent-minded way, it's not like they're standing there belting out the song.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The USWNT always gets shat on for the dumbest things and this is just the next in a long line of extremely dumb poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Runcible Cat posted:

"All those other minorities are getting their faces eaten because they walk around yelling I DON'T WANT MY FACE EATEN if they stayed quiet they'd be fine hey where did my face go"

I remember ages ago, like back when Dubya was still in office, one of my gay friends had this spoken word track she had been listening to where the gay speaker was basically going off about how they as a whole needed to have some goddamn dignity if they wanted to be taken seriously. Rainbow shirts were one thing, but the assless chaps and sequined feather boas were just putting targets on their backs and making them look like idiots and :words: and old gay man yells at gay cloud.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Soricidus posted:

Or asking what version they mean. Does it include the Deuterocanonical books? Apocrypha? The Song of Solomon?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

darthbob88 posted:

Or asking what version they mean. Does it include the Deuterocanonical books? Apocrypha? The Song of Solomon?

That's my go-to when people say they want the Ten Commandments, is "which version?" Since there are like six different Christian versions alone. My personal favorite is the Samaritan version since it has a commandment saying that the real holy mountain is Mount Gerizim no takebacks.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Killer robot posted:

That's my go-to when people say they want the Ten Commandments, is "which version?" Since there are like six different Christian versions alone. My personal favorite is the Samaritan version since it has a commandment saying that the real holy mountain is Mount Gerizim no takebacks.
Love that mountain. It's still around, but where's that temple :sad:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do ads count for political mail?

I saw this pop up on my timeline on Twitter and about died laughing. They astroturfed this movie so hard that they're having to run ads to get people to use the tickets they bought so that people stop talking about how all the sold out theaters are empty.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do ads count for political mail?

I saw this pop up on my timeline on Twitter and about died laughing. They astroturfed this movie so hard that they're having to run ads to get people to use the tickets they bought so that people stop talking about how all the sold out theaters are empty.

What's extra fun is, unless they've fixed it, you can claim as many tickets as you like so you can keep those theaters empty.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What if you use those tickets and just see another movie?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

What if you use those tickets and just see another movie?

The theater probably assigns someone to follow you

"No really sir, I'm here to see the movie on my ticket"

"Bullshit, no one wants to see that movie, admit that you're trying to sneak into Barbie you gently caress"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i feel like the astroterfed bulk ticket buys they did is a ticking timebomb. my local public radio mentioned the movie as a surprised dark horse hit in 3rd or 4th place, that might get some media/movie peeps to sniff around and pull at some threads strings

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have an hour drive to meetings this week and this morning, I had to listen to my coworkers talk about how amazing that movie was.

My boss said “why doesn’t our government do something about this? Probably because they are connected to it and make money off of it.”

I just drove quietly. They also went off about how people are constantly trying to grab your kids at Walmart. They also talked about how kids today are messed up because 1) they do not go to church, 2) they are whiny babies compared to their generation and 3) they do not get spanked anymore.

I get a wonderful hour long drive with this thread going through my head.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have an hour drive to meetings this week and this morning, I had to listen to my coworkers talk about how amazing that movie was.

My boss said “why doesn’t our government do something about this? Probably because they are connected to it and make money off of it.”

I just drove quietly. They also went off about how people are constantly trying to grab your kids at Walmart. They also talked about how kids today are messed up because 1) they do not go to church, 2) they are whiny babies compared to their generation and 3) they do not get spanked anymore.

I get a wonderful hour long drive with this thread going through my head.

In what god-awful place do you work where in order to get to meetings you have to (1) drive (2) for an hour (3) in a shared vehicle (4) with people who openly embrace boomer mentality (5) while discussing the latest product of the Rush Limbaugh School of Cinematic Arts

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Public education in a rural area.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Public education in a rural area.

Of all the places you could work with that mentality public education is probably drat near the worst, christ

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I just started last year so I am not rocking the boat. The Principal likes to tell the students that their purpose of going to school is to make them into future taxpayers. I had so many kids last year make comments about how “if that is the only reason to come to school, then they do not want to.” I do not share that same mentality and my room is a place where that is not the focus.

But I am happy to work there because I know I am helping the kids. I had a trans student come up to me last year and ask what my political preference is. I told the student that it did not matter because all of the students are welcome and seen in my room and I am truly happy that they are there. The student said that they asked because other teachers that are conservative are not very supportive of them. I told the student again that I cannot control other teachers but they will always be welcome in my room and I am honored to be their teacher. The student teared up and said thanks as they raced out the door for the lunch.

I will put up with that car insanity (and much more) if I am the one who is there for those kids.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just started last year so I am not rocking the boat. The Principal likes to tell the students that their purpose of going to school is to make them into future taxpayers. I had so many kids last year make comments about how “if that is the only reason to come to school, then they do not want to.” I do not share that same mentality and my room is a place where that is not the focus.

But I am happy to work there because I know I am helping the kids. I had a trans student come up to me last year and ask what my political preference is. I told the student that it did not matter because all of the students are welcome and seen in my room and I am truly happy that they are there. The student said that they asked because other teachers that are conservative are not very supportive of them. I told the student again that I cannot control other teachers but they will always be welcome in my room and I am honored to be their teacher. The student teared up and said thanks as they raced out the door for the lunch.

I will put up with that car insanity (and much more) if I am the one who is there for those kids.

Thank you, on behalf of the trans teen I never got to actually live as. This isn't really the thread for it but poo poo like this makes me have some modicum of hope

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

CuddleCryptid posted:

Of all the places you could work with that mentality public education is probably drat near the worst, christ

You would be amazed in how many reactionaries work in public education. My sex ed teacher in High school was a born again Christian who showed pictures of rear end Gonorrea and always went harder on discipline with the LGBT kids. loving hated that woman.

Also, you're a good dude, Bizarro Kanyon.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Dameius posted:

The USWNT always gets shat on for the dumbest things and this is just the next in a long line of extremely dumb poo poo.

My favourite was from the Olympics, when they knelt during the national anthem in the opening match, then proceeded to lose 3-0 to Sweden. Lots of right-wing media gloating over how they should have focused on soccer in stead of being woke, without even bothering to crop out the fact that a lot of the Swedish footballers were kneeling too from the news photos they used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Skios posted:

My favourite was from the Olympics, when they knelt during the national anthem in the opening match, then proceeded to lose 3-0 to Sweden. Lots of right-wing media gloating over how they should have focused on soccer in stead of being woke, without even bothering to crop out the fact that a lot of the Swedish footballers were kneeling too from the news photos they used.

My favorite is still the og, all the dumb perl clutching over Chastain celebrating her penalty kick.