Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66247915

BBC posted:

As they approached Rostov-on-Don, the fighters were given orders to surround all the law enforcement agency buildings in the city and to occupy the military airport. Gleb's unit was told to take control of the regional offices of the Federal Security Service (FSB).

As they approached the building it appeared to be completely locked and empty. They flew a drone overhead to check for any signs of life.

Eventually, after half an hour, a door opened and two people came out onto the street.

"They said, 'Guys, let's make a deal'," Gleb recounts. "I said, 'What's there to make a deal about? This is our city'.

"So we just agreed that we would leave each other alone. They came out to smoke from time to time."

It's kinda comforting to know that it was as much a disorganised shitshow for those involved as it was for all of us watching on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.rferl.org/a/putin-lukashenka-wager-poland/32515408.html

Wagnerites are sabre-rattling again. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it's amazing how 3 years ago "Russia prepares to invade Poland" would cause at least a little concern and now it's about as serious threat as North Korea nuking US.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Golf shot
https://i.imgur.com/vTDVIVP.mp4

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

To be fair, golf was famously invented during the unsuccessful invasion of a relatively peaceful nation by a horde of orcs. Old Bandobras Took would be proud.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I thought for the first half second it was a guy who just walked up to some mines and underhanded the grenade into them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Whatever happened to the Leopard 1 tanks Ukraine was supposed to get from Germany?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Charliegrs posted:

Whatever happened to the Leopard 1 tanks Ukraine was supposed to get from Germany?

They're being used by Ukraine to fight against an invading military force if Russia. Some got blown up there. What did you think was happening to them?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 23, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The only stuff that hasn't shown up in combat footage are the Challenger 2s. The Russian bots on twitter like to claim it;s because Russia destroyed them and/or their ammunition as they were being delivered. The more prosaic explanation is they have a lot more Leopards 1 & 2 so it probably makes sense to use those initially.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Leo 1s aren't really what you want to use for armored breakthroughs in 2023 if you have almost any other tank left.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My mistake. I'm sure I've seen them in footage but Onyx hasn't documented any losses.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Charliegrs posted:

They got a small batch of them a few days ago according to the news articles, they likely have not been deployed yet.

I think yall are mixing up Leopard 2s and 1s.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pablo Bluth posted:

The only stuff that hasn't shown up in combat footage are the Challenger 2s.

With so few of them, and with logistics that share nothing with anything else, the most sensible use for Challenger 2s is to use them as a reserve somewhere you really don't expect to fight but need to cover anyway. Like on the border with Belarus.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1683307790654222336

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

They're being used by Ukraine to fight against an invading military force if Russia. Some got blown up there. What did you think was happening to them?

You're thinking of Leo 2s.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Christo Grozev with some details on the buildings that were likely targeted

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1683300653458677762?t=bmrNcdQjpflSfU1NKMvvfw&s=19

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

You're thinking of Leo 2s.

Yeah, looking at our local news, the first batch of Leo 1s has just arrived this month, 25 from Denmark and Germany.

More batches are planned, but currently, it'll take until 2024 before all 100 promised tanks are delivered.

There were short-lived hopes to get more faster, but the Swiss hosed it up again: Swiss companies own about 96 Leopard 1s currently mothballed and in storage in Italy, but the Swiss refused a request by Rheinmetall to buy them back.

Since this forces the other nations to continue trying to find some surviving Leos in their sofa cushions, relations to the Swiss have taken another nose dive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
And this night's Russian strike on Odesa area was on a Danube port and grain storage there.

Meanwhile a Ukrainian drone hit some ammo storage in Crimea.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Russia attacked the port of Reni last night, which is 200-300m from the Romanian border. That is metres, not miles.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Anders Puck Nielsen on the loss of the grain deal and naval consequences, 14 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPcPZP-6os :ukraine:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I can't imagine there's much of any military target in Reni, so this is 100% the next step of them targeting food infrastructure, right?

As I understand it, Reni is one of the Danube ports and is already the second biggest grain export location after Odessa, and projected to become the first.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Has anyone seen any analysis or does anyone have a take on why combat helicopters are not a subject of any weapon supply talks? Russia successfully utilizes KA-52s and it is another point of arms disparity between Ukraine and Russia.

My uneducated guess is that Russia has a lot of AA capability and while F-16s can be outfitted with sufficiently long range missiles, helicopters would be easy pickings.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Exactly that imo. Pantsir etc are unreliable vs missiles but will shut down an Apache group

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

Has anyone seen any analysis or does anyone have a take on why combat helicopters are not a subject of any weapon supply talks? Russia successfully utilizes KA-52s and it is another point of arms disparity between Ukraine and Russia.

My uneducated guess is that Russia has a lot of AA capability and while F-16s can be outfitted with sufficiently long range missiles, helicopters would be easy pickings.

Per German sources (this was before the counter-offensive) it was stated that Ukraine simply did not need more transport helicopters and attack helicopters would be to vulnerable. Hopefully that view has changed.

Nosre posted:

I can't imagine there's much of any military target in Reni, so this is 100% the next step of them targeting food infrastructure, right?

As I understand it, Reni is one of the Danube ports and is already the second biggest grain export location after Odessa, and projected to become the first.

It seems Russia is just poking Ukraine (and anyone who trades with them) in the eye by attacking food infrastructure. I do not foresee them continuing such attacks, giving other priority targets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Russia is having some success with helos but they have lost about a hundred of them against Ukraine’s lesser air defense capabilities. I think the potential rewards of donating new models of attack helicopters aren’t worth the cost as Russian air defenses seem to still be quite capable. Helos are expensive, maintenance hungry, difficult to use, and thirst for blood.

various Ukraine supporters have donated Soviet gear that the Ukrainians already know how to use and fly, mostly Mi-8s, but also Mi-24 attack helicopters, and there have been more donations of utility helicopters including Sea Kings from the UK.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I wonder how many KA-52s are left in inventory and how quickly they can produce replacements.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Agree with those assumptions - others are far better placed to comment, but from a layman's perspective, I would query whether Attack Helicopters are what Ukraine needs most at the moment.

I know they'll take anything they can get, but they probably don't need its anti-armor capabilities as much, due to the strength of capabilities they already have in this area (AT missiles, artillery, their own tanks, mines, etc). And although they could be used in a strike role, as you said it looks like an extremely hostile work environment for helicopters, with tons of Russian SAMs and MANPADs, and Russian fighters with long-range AAMs loitering in the distance. They would have to fly extremely low all the time, and doing this is risky even in models you have years of experience on, it must be even more dangerous doing it in a new craft you are not familiar with.

There's probably also a political angle - the US appears to be sensitive to escalation (even if most people here disagree, its clear its a factor in Biden's decision making, at least when it comes to expanding what types of weapons they send), alongside the fact they probably don't want to see the Russians showing off burning wrecks of Apaches (as that might hurt future arms sales).

Finally, whilst some European countries are more gung-ho, they have much smaller numbers, and the French, Brits and Italians all use different models.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Just Another Lurker posted:

I wonder how many KA-52s are left in inventory and how quickly they can produce replacements.

I doubt much of anything with lots of ICs can be replaced at more than a glacial pace currently

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Around 200 Ka-52's were produced, of which Russia had 133 as of early 2022 (the rest were exports, though it's possible some were produced but not delivered to the Russian military as of early 2022). Oryx has confirmed 34 Ka-52s destroyed and 1 captured. The maintenance situation on the remaining airframes is uncertain. They're only 20 years old, but have likely seen heavy service in the past year. "Around 100" is probably a reasonable estimate.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It's like a lot of the US's luxury air to ground assets Apaches, AC-130's, Predator Drones etc all predicated on the idea that they have air superiority.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Apaches were designed to fly (and die, to be fair) around the Fulda Gap. They're absolutely designed to operate around lots and lots of anti-air. Fair call on the other two though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I could see a case for Kiowas (US army recon helo) to direct artillery fires, but those little things fly low/fast and hide behind hills with only their little sensor-bulb sticking out.

As stated earlier though, helos are maintenance intensive, require expensive training, and are just as likely to eat their pilots as anything else :v:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/HoansSolo/status/1683461193246167041?t=xQAg5b1bqn0RiGHEWZceJA&s=19

*~*Russia's legitimate security concerns*~*

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

20 thousands shells. That's a few hours of Russian fire at its most intensive.
Shame about those 1+ million cluster munitions destroyed by the European NATO countries.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Anders Puck Nielsen on the loss of the grain deal and naval consequences, 14 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvPcPZP-6os :ukraine:

This is really interesting - especially the timing of the bridge attack. Ukraine would have suspected that attacking the bridge at the exact moment the grain deal renews would cause Putin to cancel it, which makes the argument that they tricked Putin into doing this quite compelling if it really does benefit Ukraine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I could see a case for Kiowas (US army recon helo) to direct artillery fires, but those little things fly low/fast and hide behind hills with only their little sensor-bulb sticking out.

So do Apaches, at least as of the Longbow (AH-64D model). That said, I don't think rotary attack aviation is a good investment for Ukraine right now. As amazing as they seem to be handling logistics, every new platform takes capacity and skill away from something else.

On that note, If I could wave a magic wand, I would have the West try to do the following:
  • Expedite 155mm ammunition production. Push the bounds of the possible with the companies that make this stuff. Go to them with silly ideas like, "If we give you $10B, how fast can you produce 1M shells per month? What if we gave you $20B?" Throw money at that problem until it doesn't scale.
  • Figure out medium-range air defense. We can give Ukraine good long-range air defense (Patriot) and short-range air defense (Stingers and Gepards), but we haven't figured out a good, inexpensive mid-range option other than NASAMS. Maybe the answer is NASAMS. Regardless, Ukraine needs a lot more air defenses that can engage targets 10-20km away from the FLOT.
  • Simultaneously, figure out how to scale production of Stingers and get all Stingers all-weather optics. Day-only optics aren't enough.
  • Throw money at the small, relatively inexpensive stuff so that Ukraine has no shortage of it: small arms ammunition, grenades, smoke munitions, mortar ammunition, and also more smoke munitions.
  • Expedite XM30 design, selection, and procurement. This doesn't help Ukraine now, but makes it far easier in 2-3 years for the US to just give Ukraine all of its Bradleys. We should probably just give Ukraine another 1,000 Bradleys now. We likely have enough of them.
  • Expedite production of PrSM so that we can provide Ukraine with ATACMS. Also, procure 10x what we originally planned. It turns out a hot war with a peer needs a lot of these.
  • Expedite Poland's acquisition of Abrams and K2 Black Panther main battle tanks. This would let Poland send all of their remaining T-72 (and derivatives) to Ukraine, and focus those production lines on keeping Ukraine supplied with replacements.

CeeJee posted:

20 thousands shells. That's a few hours of Russian fire at its most intensive.
Shame about those 1+ million cluster munitions destroyed by the European NATO countries.

For context, during the Russian Donbass offensive last summer, Russia was often firing over 30,000 shells each day. If the rest of Europe is like this, Europe is not ready for a war with Russia, even with air superiority. Don't forget: air superiority takes time, and Russia has changed its air defense command and control doctrine since 1991.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

raverrn posted:

Apaches were designed to fly (and die, to be fair) around the Fulda Gap. They're absolutely designed to operate around lots and lots of anti-air. Fair call on the other two though.

Apaches are also designed to operate with terrain that is less flat. The entire point of the Longbow radar system is that the helicopter can peek from behind a hill for 10 seconds, fire, and duck back down again. This is expected to work great against the kind of AA and air assets that the Russians have... ...but it is predicated on the existence of hills, that are of sufficient size to hide behind. And those are kind of in short supply in Ukraine.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1683447334883979264#m

It's kinda funny how Rybar's description of Ukrainian attacks line up with how Ukraine described Russian attacks in Bakhmut. "Meat assaults" indeed.

nitter version:
https://nitter.net/Osinttechnical/status/1683447334883979264#m

On the helicopter front, I would imagine that's more a case where there are still donations of helicopters Ukrainians already know how to fly and operate and there wouldn't be a massive increase in capability that makes moving to western versions worth the effort?

It seems like helicopters in this war are for doing long range lobbing attacks in areas where you can be relatively certain there's no AA, so I'm not sure how western ones would do that job better. It's not like fighter jets where the current Ukrainian versions can't match up at all because of the radar.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

For context, during the Russian Donbass offensive last summer, Russia was often firing over 30,000 shells each day. If the rest of Europe is like this, Europe is not ready for a war with Russia, even with air superiority. Don't forget: air superiority takes time, and Russia has changed its air defense command and control doctrine since 1991.

The thing with not having air superioty is that it hard to fire 30000 shells a day when all of your artillery pieces have been blown up. Russia wouldn't even be able to lob that much artillery because its hard to hide giant cannons from planes.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The UK sent a few Sea Kings to Ukraine. I think it was more because they were sitting around unused rather than being something really needed. They’re also transport not combat choppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

mustard_tiger posted:

The thing with not having air superioty is that it hard to fire 30000 shells a day when all of your artillery pieces have been blown up. Russia wouldn't even be able to lob that much artillery because its hard to hide giant cannons from planes.

I think you're underestimatung how long it would take NATO to destroy Russian GBAD. I think they would do so, but I'm unconvinced it would be fast.