Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tighclops posted:

That makes sense I guess, but they didn't show him entering another wormhole or anything like that so it just seems like he condemns himself to a pointlessly slow death lmao

Who says Western audiences can't deal with ambiguous endings without closure? Not Nolan!

Cooper made the ultimate sacrifice for Catwoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Hot take: Ken did nothing wrong

There was definitely a (tongue-in-cheek) take thread about how Ken is the underclass and Barbies are the bourgeoisie but I have not seen this movie (nor do I plan to) so I couldn't speak to how accurate it was

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously though these both seem like perfectly fine movies to see, I just can't do theaters (2-month-old)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Hot take: Ken did nothing wrong

i mean the movie does imply the kens are as oppressed in barbieland as women are in the real world —— are they just supposed to take it?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i mean the movie does imply the kens are as oppressed in barbieland as women are in the real world —— are they just supposed to take it?

The Kens were happy in their servitude before they were corrupted by male Feminism

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Best part of interstellar was when they leave that guy on the ship by himself for like twenty years and then Matt Damon blows him up. That guy really got the poo poo end of the stick.

Man I might rewatch interstellar tonight.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's crazy that they're on a reconnaissance ship and can't point a telescope at water planet and see the old one had loving crashed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

"we're getting the beacon signal loud and clear but despite the fact that there's no visible land anywhere on a planet with two prominent mountains of water we're still gonna go down to check if we can move humanity to here"

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Ya it didn't make much sense but Chris Nolan needed his big bombastic tidal wave scene and it owns.

edit: vvvv yeah they left their crewmate alone in the ship while all that was going on. For them it was only a few hours maybe but for him it was a few decades lmfao

netizen has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Jul 23, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Am I remembering wrong or did they give up decades of time based on that decision too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

netizen posted:

Ya it didn't make much sense but Chris Nolan needed his big bombastic tidal wave scene and it owns.

edit: vvvv yeah they left their crewmate alone in the ship while all that was going on. For them it was only a few hours maybe but for him it was a few decades lmfao

have the planet surrounded by thick radar-impenetrable clouds. cake had + eaten

e: they don't even have to be radar-impenetrable, radar wouldn't help in that situation (the pings would still be subject to time dilation so at best it'd be months-years of waiting for a map to resolve) it just needs to be cloudy

indigi has issued a correction as of 00:10 on Jul 24, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also I forget do they explain how does wormhole tech provide food or do we assume 99.9% of humanity starved to death

e: to be clear I think it's a good movie anyway though

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
All the best and brightest survived so that's all that really matters. Humanity shall persevere!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

netizen posted:

Best part of interstellar was when they leave that guy on the ship by himself for like twenty years and then Matt Damon blows him up. That guy really got the poo poo end of the stick.

Man I might rewatch interstellar tonight.

His name was Mann as well. We suck.

He was meant to be the best of us, and he's a loving coward, to quote Cooper.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

have the planet surrounded by thick radar-impenetrable clouds. cake had + eaten

e: they don't even have to be radar-impenetrable, radar wouldn't help in that situation (the pings would still be subject to time dilation so at best it'd be months-years of waiting for a map to resolve) it just needs to be cloudy

The only thing wrong with that whole chapter is Wes Bentley not being able to hop into an open hatch to save his life. That, and the loving trailers ruining that whole tidal wave. Zimmer's score is great for this too, since every tick in the metronome like track is a whole day going by back on Earth.

I had Kipp Thorne's book that tied in with the film and the time dilation of that water world really got to me. The fact that the previous mission basically landed just before them boggles my tiny ape brain.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Guess the publication

quote:

The women in Taylor Sheridan projects tend to be lone wolves. They also tend to fit into specific, narrow archetypes: the vulnerable naif (Kate Macer in “Sicario”; Jane Banner in “Wind River”); the ferocious badass (Beth Dutton in “Yellowstone”; Hannah Faber in “Those Who Wish Me Dead”); the steely matriarch (Beth’s ancestors Margaret and Cara, who anchor the “Yellowstone” prequel series “1883” and “1923”). The screenwriter is himself a lone wolf, posing for magazine covers in a cowboy hat while denigrating the use of writers’ rooms, and rose to the top of Hollywood’s hierarchy in part through a shameless embrace of genre tropes.

Sheridan’s latest series for the streaming service Paramount+ takes its title from another kind of predator — one who travels in packs. “Special Ops: Lioness” isn’t just the first Sheridan show to feature a true multiplicity of female leads; it’s also the first to have an explicitly gendered premise. But just because “Lioness” features more women protagonists doesn’t mean Sheridan has grown any more nuanced in his depiction of them.

Loosely — very loosely — based on a real CIA program, “Lioness” follows an initiative that embeds undercover agents with high-value terrorism targets, forming relationships with suspected leaders’ wives, girlfriends and female family members to gather intelligence. (Sheridan’s inspiration was in fact designed to allow religiously sensitive, same-sex body searches of female suspects, here a jumping-off point into the creative deep end.) In the opening scene, Lioness leader Joe (Zoe Saldaña) loses an operative when her cover is blown, forcing Joe to call in a drone strike that kills the spy along with her adversaries. As a replacement, Joe recruits Cruz Manuelos (Laysla De Oliveira), a Marine whose ability to do pull ups is presented as qualification for the job.

Sheridan has long cultivated an image in contrast with liberal cultural elites without quite aligning with their opposite. “Yellowstone” was famously rejected by HBO before earning a reputation as the “red state ‘Succession,’” though its politics have always been more ambiguous — or maybe just more muddled — than straight conservatism. As the above synopsis implies, “Lioness” has no such ambiguity. The show is an unabashed work of military propaganda that positions the United States Armed Forces as the “strong” who “protect the weak,” a group that apparently includes the entire Middle East as well as vulnerable members of U.S. society.

In the single chapter of the eight-episode season provided to critics — despite a two-episode premiere — there’s no hint of curiosity about the circumstances that pit the Lioness team against the Islamic State in Iraq despite the lip service paid to establishing a democracy after the fall of Saddam Hussein. There is, however, a stunningly ham-fisted scene in which a younger Cruz runs from her violent abuser and into a recruitment office, where an imposing officer scares off her persecutor before coining the kind of faux-profound bon mot that’s a signature of Sheridan dialogue: “In war, if you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’.” Cruz quotes her onetime savior when Joe explains the premise of the Lioness program, underscoring the implication that it’s a global superpower’s job to look out for the underdog by any means necessary. If you don’t agree with that vision of U.S. hegemony, this is not the show for you.

“Lioness” also stars and is executive produced by Nicole Kidman, whose presence on TV has gone from a momentous event to disconcertingly normal in just a few years. But Kidman appears in only a single scene of the series premiere as Joe’s supervisor, admonishing her for losing her direct report. (Intensifying the show’s right-wing overtones, the first Lioness mole is found out when one of her companions spots a Christian tattoo.) Rather than conduct a more careful search for her next mentee, Joe selects Cruz, a ferocious combatant who has no background we know of in either espionage or Iraqi language and culture. She can, however, shotgun a beer.

By the end of the first episode, penned by Sheridan and directed by John Hillcoat, Cruz has miraculously ingratiated herself with a potential asset. We’ve also gotten a glimpse of Joe’s home life, which includes two daughters and a husband who serves as their primary parent while his wife is off at war. Sheridan doesn’t just give the leads of “Lioness” masculine names like “Joe” and “Cruz”; he also gives them stereotypically masculine conflicts like feeling estranged from their children due to a stressful job. Even Cruz’s abuse segues into a storyline in which her physical strength is equated with her worth. 

It is perhaps predictable that the Sheridan take on pop feminism would weaponize women’s liberation in service of the military industrial complex. After all, that rhetorical sleight of hand is as much a cliché as the rest of “Lioness,” which shows the strain of a single writer cranking out scripts for each of his half-dozen shows on air. “Lioness” may be a first for its creator in some respects, but in others, it’s more of the same.

The first two episodes of “Special Ops: Lioness” will premiere on Paramount+ on July 23, with future episodes airing weekly on Sundays.

when did Variety start criticizing support for US imperialism

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah the scene fuckin ruled they just could of done a bit of narrative cleanup since the highly trained astronaut/physicist would immediately realize the implications so you gotta give them a reason to check it out despite that.

I read Kip Thorne's book Black Holes & Time Warps as a nerdy little 8th grader and the thought experiments in that continue to blow my mind

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there's an anecdote in that book where he's hanging out with a Soviet physicist and they're talking about some characteristic of x-rays and Kip is like "drat someone should do some experiments to figure this out" and the Soviet guy says something like "don't worry, our governments have it figured out" and Kip realizes it's a key component of controlling fission

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

there's an anecdote in that book where he's hanging out with a Soviet physicist and they're talking about some characteristic of x-rays and Kip is like "drat someone should do some experiments to figure this out" and the Soviet guy says something like "don't worry, our governments have it figured out" and Kip realizes it's a key component of controlling fission

Gonna rewatch Oppenheimer and figure it out for Kip.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tristeham posted:

shes right

she's right but she's also wrong

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

it's crazy that they're on a reconnaissance ship and can't point a telescope at water planet and see the old one had loving crashed

the accountants truth

netizen posted:

this guy gets it

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

taylor sheridan is a poor man's craig zahler

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Given they basically unified physics by getting the data they needed from inside Gargantua, I expect they have mastered wormholes given the new version of the Ranger he steals is smaller and nowhere near able to do anything but a short hop in space.

Don't think too much about that part. Else you'll be wondering about how Caine's lot at NASA got the O'Neill station up in space.

I kinda like the argument with the Principal at the start. It shows you how hosed the planet is where they're literally getting everyone to do as much farming as they can as society collapses around them. They stop getting okra because of the blight, even. They have no love for those who talk of a time when things like MRIs exist, and can't imagine anything better. It's actually a horribly depressing slow collapse that will only accelerate as the blight kills off anything making oxygen later on ("The last people to starve, will be the first to suffocate.") meaning everything is on borrowed time.

Obviously we need film to happen and it's Hollywood, so Cooper gets out there to use a science to win. That's my only real disappointment, which as my friend mentioned, exonerates the human ingenuity and technology angle.

In other news, just got done with the rest of Black Mirror season six and "Mazey Day" and "Demon 79" show the Red Mirror thing to be more likely now. The latter was great.

this whole conversation is just making me realize how silly it is that the movie dismisses the importance of studying farming as a dead end since it seems like the odds of someone pulling off an amazing miracle cure out of their rear end are about as likely as they actually end up doing with the spaceships given that their original plan was stupid and doomed and is only redeemed by ridiculous wormhole bullshit no one could have reasonably foreseen

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

insane clown pussy posted:

taylor sheridan is a poor man's craig zahler

yep

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Some Guy TT posted:

this whole conversation is just making me realize how silly it is that the movie dismisses the importance of studying farming as a dead end since it seems like the odds of someone pulling off an amazing miracle cure out of their rear end are about as likely as they actually end up doing with the spaceships given that their original plan was stupid and doomed and is only redeemed by ridiculous wormhole bullshit no one could have reasonably foreseen

Agreed... BUT... also there's an out. The whole film, like Tenet, is essentially a closed time-like curve. The events that lead to the mission happening are a paradox, so it was always ordained that things would play out this way, because we already basically did what we needed to do.

Though, yes, the "I'm gonna adventure man and science this poo poo" take is not the smart way to deal with biosphere collapse that is already way too far gone. I guess it's the equivalent of ignoring palliative care and expecting an rear end pull miracle cure when you have stage four pancreatic cancer. It becomes a totally different film experience then.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
speaking of Nolans, my partner and I just finished watchng the 1970s Westworld movie for the first time. I've seen the TV show, she had not. so it was kinda interesting to bounce off it

a few thoughts:
- it actually looks pretty good for it's time.
- michael crichton was such a hack that he basically wrote Jurassic Park twice. seriously this movie was basically just 1993 Jurassic Park but filmed in the 70s
- it's interesting some of the technology concerns that they had in the 70s was not about sentience, infact, it's not mentioned once. I kept waiting for the movie to go into robot sentience or feelings or whatever, but no it's just not there.
- rather the concern at the time was The Other disobeying humankind. or rather breakdown of humans to control The Other. contrast this to the TV show which was more into "are robots people?" -> "does it matter?"
- the materialist ideal that millionaires going to the theme park to abuse "humans" isn't really mentioned or even considered. the guy who lives at the end isn't even like a good guy or anything nor even contrasted to the others who did die. infact it does zero to explore psychopathy of rich except maybe some things at the start advertisement for delos
- it was kinda interesting that the TV show apes so much about the movie too though, like the people coming into clean up and fix up robots, drive lovely buggies around at night, and lot of "behind the scenes" stuff i didn't expect it to have but it did. which was pretty cool
- 70s computers kick rear end. we should bring back mainframes
- papa brolin looks almost exactly like josh brolin
- it was interesting that the one things they couldn't get right was the 'hands' considering even "AI" stable diffusion garbage today struggles with hands too. narratively though it was basically not used at all, which was kinda weird
- the third act, while kinda neat, went on for too long imo then just sort of ends abruptly. i'll rarely complain about movies being too short but seriously it felt like there should have been a 4th act to wrap it up.

while it wasn't great, I actually think i enjoyed some of the movie more than the Nolan Mystery Box Man in Black maze labyrinth garbage the TV show went ham on, if only because I'm sick of Mystery Box, but it was definitely much narratively weaker and kinda not well-paced. kinda a shame season 2-3 was so loving bad because they could have done something a lot better with the show than... whatever the gently caress that was. I never watched the last season although maybe i should just for completeness

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Jul 24, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They Cloned Tyrone is fun. I don't know if its quite worth reupping your Netflix sub for exclusively, but its a solid, well-made movie that doesn't get bogged down in its message but doesn't forget about it either. Third act is a little wobbly as these kinds of movies tend towards, but nothing crippling.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm catapulting into this thread to say that Los Alamos was Oppenheimer's Barbieland

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I just realized something: Oppenheimer is a brand movie.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oppen Heimer style

is this anything

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
late. very late.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Saw M:I last night, it was very fun and I'm glad Hayley Atwell looks to have graduated away from the MCU into a proper blockbuster - my main issue though is, with all the emphasis they put on these crazy real stunts, I wish there wasn't so much post processing with all the motion blurring, lens flaring etc, it ends up looking not too dissimilar from CGI anyway.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

shocked to hear that michael crichton might be a hack writer

indigi posted:

i just read 'trinity', the biography of (one of the) manhatten project guys who gave nuclear secrets to the soviets, and there's a bunch of details about early hydrogen bomb experiments that were taken by the soviets and have been declassified in the soviet archives but are still state secrets in the us

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

josh04 posted:

shocked to hear that michael crichton might be a hack writer

i just read 'trinity', the biography of (one of the) manhatten project guys who gave nuclear secrets to the soviets, and there's a bunch of details about early hydrogen bomb experiments that were taken by the soviets and have been declassified in the soviet archives but are still state secrets in the us
the americans learned their lesson after some british physicist supposedly reverse-engineered some declassified results into classified equations/constants.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oppenheimer pretty alright tbh. Barbie good but completely thematically incoherent. Movies are fun. That's my take this morning

I read an article in the Rolling Stone that people on the bird site were lauding as amazing writing about the Barbenheimer experience but it doesn't get very far past "wow movies that make you think about life and death sure are weird". I only know of Miles Klee in passing as a Twitter personality but as competently written as it is, sometimes I think wow, creative nonfiction sure can be a huge waste of time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/MCU_Direct/status/1683193352672428036?t=cq1ART4bOIA2nSghwe52Kw&s=19

They are selling an empty box containing no physical media and people will buy it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yep

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I thought Barbie was way too on the nose toward the end when the characters started monologuing and explaining all of the movie's metaphors, but I'm seeing a lot of praise online for how those monologues were powerful, so I guess people can still appreciate terrible delivery if they like what it's saying.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1stGear posted:

They Cloned Tyrone is fun. I don't know if its quite worth reupping your Netflix sub for exclusively, but its a solid, well-made movie that doesn't get bogged down in its message but doesn't forget about it either. Third act is a little wobbly as these kinds of movies tend towards, but nothing crippling.

AV Club had an angry review that conceded that the film was good but insisted that actually drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes are not holding African American communities back but are a charming part of the community.

It was real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Doc Fission posted:

Duly shaken by this story, and the recognition that I was born into its aftermath, I had trouble coming back to my senses. A bustling mall did not make for the easiest reentry into linear consciousness, either. Thankfully, a quick lunch at Panda Express proved suitably mundane to bring me down to earth, and afterward, I met up at a bar with my friend Anna, who would join me for that afternoon’s screening of Barbie and, like dozens milling around the area, was wearing pink for the occasion. Over beers, I gave her a poor synopsis of what had transpired that morning, lingering on the hyped sex scenes — was Oppenheimer really such a fuckboy?