Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Watching with my wife I refuse to skip an intro to any Trek. It's PYLON TIME BITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The DS9 theme is the best Trek theme though, so skipping the intro means you'd miss it. :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I fuckin love those pylons

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The ds9 intro is great and the length is alright unless you're watching episode after episode and not skipping it then it can get a bit tiring.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Confusedslight posted:

The ds9 intro is great and the length is alright unless you're...a bit tiring.

:hmmyes:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

The DS9 theme is the best Trek theme though, so skipping the intro means you'd miss it. :colbert:

*seasons 1-3 only

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Only real trek fans listen to the opening every time, yes, including enterprise

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm making her listen to the Enterprise theme because it's the only way she'll see the mirror universe theme that's been spoiled for me already. I need to see it through her eyes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tighclops posted:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

Only real trek fans listen to the opening every time, yes, including enterprise

I'd like to think there is a difference between being a fan and a large portion of ones brain to be missing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Just keeeeeeep circling.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just watched the end of Enterprise Season 3 again, and I love how they waste literally no time after the Xindi/Sphere Builder threat is over to move straight to alien Nazis

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
As much as I love the DS9 theme, I think Voyager has the best intro theme.

Lower Decks theme has been racing up the ladder too.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just watched the end of Enterprise Season 3 again, and I love how they waste literally no time after the Xindi/Sphere Builder threat is over to move straight to alien Nazis

ENT season 3 is a wild ride. It starts out rough, gets better, gets rough again, pulls it together for a pretty banger run of eps leading into the season finale, and then ends with some of the purest WTF you can imagine.

pyrotek posted:

*seasons 1-3 only

I'll allow it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a long stretch in the middle where the main plot of the season (finding the Xindi weapon) gets mostly ignored. I didn't remember that at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's a long stretch in the middle where the main plot of the season (finding the Xindi weapon) gets mostly ignored. I didn't remember that at all.

Season 3 of Enterprise is one of those few Classic Trek shows/seasons that really could have benefited from a modern TV 10 episode season, because like barely half of its episode count mattered to the plot.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TNG is the best theme. Majestic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 3 of Enterprise is one of those few Classic Trek shows/seasons that really could have benefited from a modern TV 10 episode season, because like barely half of its episode count mattered to the plot.
There's a whole episode where half of the senior staff turn into weird frog people

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I'd say split the difference and go for 15? You could safely jettison about a third of the season and not lose anything, but it was a long rear end season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
But we will absolutely keep the cowboy planet episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Yes. The cowboy planet stays.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

On the one hand, it's one of the single dumbest episodes in the whole run of ENT, which is saying something. On the other hand, Connor Trinneer looked real good in his cowboy getup, so who can say what the truth is?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reed phasering T’Pol and then shrugging is an underrated Trek moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Reed phasering T’Pol and then shrugging is an underrated Trek moment.

It was Enterprise's "Indy brings a gun to a sword fight and just shoots the guy" moment.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
that whole sequence owns because it's shot like a typical 00's action scene with shakey cam and overcranked camera shutter speeds but it's starfleet phaser guns vs. fuckin cowboys while an electric guitar wails with the western music soundtrack

ENT had no business being that cool

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dr_rat posted:

I'd like to think there is a difference between being a fan and a large portion of ones brain to be missing.

The Enterprise theme slaps

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

this is my one post for this thread about nearly dying in the icu and being very strongly convinced on ketamine that the theme song to enterprise contained the secrets to everything and texting my mother a lot telling her to listen to it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deep Space Nine has the worst opening out of any Trek, and the way in which it's bad also makes it extremely non-thematic to the show itself, and really shows how little the show creators knew of what the show would be like. All the other Treks have big sweeping scores about the ship going on its adventure from point A to point B as the ship zooms by in the background, but the only real idea that the DS9 opening has is that it's not going anywhere. The station isn't going anywhere, so all the camera can do is slowly pan back and forth as the music just toddles around. I think at one point it even sounds like the music is kinda confused at how to keep going. The show itself is largely unconcerned with thinking about the exterior of the station, and it's more of a tighter character-driven drama. The station in the opening looks quiet and isolated, but in the show it's supposed to be bustling and full of traffic.

I don't think the musical style is particularly evocative of the style of show either, although that's kinda subjective. I would think that since it is stepping away from the high-minded philosophical side of things to focus on ground-level politics and moral ambiguity, something other than a grand orchestra would be appropriate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Deep Space Nine has the worst opening out of any Trek, and the way in which it's bad also makes it extremely non-thematic to the show itself, and really shows how little the show creators knew of what the show would be like. All the other Treks have big sweeping scores about the ship going on its adventure from point A to point B as the ship zooms by in the background, but the only real idea that the DS9 opening has is that it's not going anywhere. The station isn't going anywhere, so all the camera can do is slowly pan back and forth as the music just toddles around. I think at one point it even sounds like the music is kinda confused at how to keep going. The show itself is largely unconcerned with thinking about the exterior of the station, and it's more of a tighter character-driven drama. The station in the opening looks quiet and isolated, but in the show it's supposed to be bustling and full of traffic.

I don't think the musical style is particularly evocative of the style of show either, although that's kinda subjective. I would think that since it is stepping away from the high-minded philosophical side of things to focus on ground-level politics and moral ambiguity, something other than a grand orchestra would be appropriate.

I have to disagree a bit - you see ships taking off and docking with DS9, and you see the wormhole opening and a ship going through. It's very evocative of being a location yes, but a location where things happen - even though it's not going anywhere, people are coming to it, and there's a beautiful space thing just like there is in every other pre-Enterprise opening. It's got that same idea of "what this show is and where it is in space" as the TOS/TNG/VOY openings, I think, it's just very different due to it not being about a spaceship.

Unrelated, and what I originally came to post, but "Real Life" is a pretty great episode by the end even if it starts off so silly. And you're all mean for picking on the Doctor about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

I have to disagree a bit - you see ships taking off and docking with DS9, and you see the wormhole opening and a ship going through.

That was all added with the season 4 update, though. Which improved the visuals but seriously messed up the music.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I get that it would be out of sync with the others, but yeah it would've made so much more sense for the DS9 intro to have mostly sweeping visuals of the promenade and other inside locations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That was all added with the season 4 update, though. Which improved the visuals but seriously messed up the music.

Oh! I was unaware. My bad then.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
ds9 theme is long enough to go take a piss or grab a snack it can stay on sometimes imo

voyager for least worst intro though

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The TNG theme suffers a bit from the fact that it sounds so much better in the movies. The TV version sounds slightly rushed and lower budget by comparison.

The DS9 theme has the advantage of being done by a frequent composer for the series, so they used it within the show a lot more. Even though the title arrangement is petty sleepy.

Voyager theme is the best stand-alone.

Last night I felt nostalgic for the days of watching whatever's on TV, so I put on Pluto and it turned out to be a good choice because "Duet" was on. (Well, first "Dramatis Personae" was on, but that meant I got to see all of Duet.) It's still great, but for whatever reason I'm compelled to try to nitpick it just to see if there are any ways it could be improved, or if it really is perfect.

One nitpick is that it definitely feels of its time in the sense that the Internet was barely a thing yet, and so people are surprisingly in the dark about anything happening outside the station. It feels like it should've been pretty easy to Google Gul Darheel and find out that he's dead. But they do a pretty good job of explaining that away during Odo and Dukat's conversations, which lay out how the Cardassian government purposely keeps a tight lid on that kind of info and it's not easily accessible. Still a little hard to understand in this day and age, but not unprecedented -- it's similarly hard to know the whole truth about what's going on in Russia or China, for example. So that pretty much still works.

My next possible nitpick is that Kira seems to assure Maritza that his plan was noble and might've worked, but it just wasn't right for him to die... Which I'm not really sure about, because it seems like someone would've eventually found out the truth, as they did within the episode. I can very easily imagine Gul Dukat hearing that the Bajorans are executing "Gul Darheel" and poking his head in to ruin their fun. I think it still works as Maritza's character motivation, I just don't understand why Kira seems to agree that it was a logical plan.

Which brings me to my ultimate point, which is that I can't shake the feeling that the episode would've been even better if Maritza was supposed to have truly lost his mind. Like his guilt drove him into this really deep "method acting" sort of thing and he pretty much truly believed he was Darheel. His breakdown at the end would still reveal his true feelings about himself being a coward, but that could all still be done in third person -- talking about the cowardly filing clerk who tried to silence the screams and "died" in some sense. That whole monologue would still work, perhaps even better. (Maybe I'm just being dull and this was actually supposed to be happening in the episode, but it seems like he comes out of it too quickly for it to be an actual mental issue.)

The only catch is, I'm not sure how he gets to the station in that version. I suppose he wouldn't have the presence of mind to turn himself in. So maybe the way they did it really was the only way for it to work, at least within budgetary constraints. Ultimately just a minor nitpick. The emotional core is all there.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 24, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've got to go with the classic: TOS theme is the best.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Enterprise is the Trek I'm least likely to skip the intro on. Y'all need faith of the heart

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is today opposite day and nobody bothered to send me the memo?
Haters on DS9 theme?
People like the Enterprise theme?
:wtf:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The DS9 theme is the best, because it's the only theme you can sing along to by singing Meow Meow Meow Meow. At least until season 4.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
DS9 theme has always been mid, ENT theme has always loving rocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

DS9 theme has always been mid, ENT theme has always loving rocked.

DS9 theme sets up atmosphere of the show really well, and the changes to the theme reflecting the changes to the space station work really well. Just a great TV theme song.

The ENT theme was picked as all they had when they were picking the theme was a cd 40 best 90's love songs 17!!! and they chose one at random.