Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PhazonLink posted:

ooofff if thats what his hair is like maybe he should keep wearing the beanie. or try to get an expert to tell him what looks best with what he's got/can do.

or go bald (like has any man just shaving it all looked worse?)

That's Tim Poole, unless Matt Taibbi wears a beanie too and I've just never registered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
loving idiots. There's a whole scientific method involving peer review for questioning things that have "been decided". It's just you get super mad when it relates to something like gender, and would rather listen to an anonymous facebook posts bout vaccines.

:fuckoff:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Conservatives are really hung up about the idea of what I call "The Revelation" in their culture war issues. "Try that in a Small Town" is a perfect example of this. I groaned when I first heard of this song, because that phrase has been typed on Facebook for years now. They see what they perceive to be gross moral injustice but reassure themselves that they will be vindicated in the end, because there's no way anyone is getting away with that stuff where they live.

Which presents a contradiction--if they think their "small town" (often a rather large, sprawling, heavily developed exurb) won't tolerate such problems then there's really no need for them to have anxiety about it in the first place. And yet, when they see a curated video clip of a black teenager sprinting down the sidewalk, sucker punching an older white person then running off, they freak out. They'll boast that things like that only happen in "Democrat controlled cities" and tell people that's why they themselves don't live in such places. So obviously they care on an existential level. The phrase "Try that in a small town" is a Coping Word more than anything. It reassures the conservative "This situation makes me fearful, but I also believe it can't happen here because where I live people are good and moral and won't tolerate it" (older liberals can also be susceptible to this thinking to some extent as well in the form of being offended by explicit bigotry yet pretending it can't occur in their community)

They do this with other issues as well; like they think that one day every trans kid that transitioned is going to suddenly "come to their senses" and regret their choices. They love to claim that there's going to suddenly be this huge surge in lawsuits against medical providers when that happens.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think that's accurate but it stills ties into conservative anxiety and personal responsibility. If something bad does happen in their town, they can take of it all by themselves. Law enforcement is cool, great, etc. but they don't actually need it.

On another note, I think Jason Aldean is absolutely a manipulative piece of poo poo and knows exactly what he's doing riling up his base.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean it's all grievance politics at its core. The "Safe" suburbs being invaded by the feral urban horde, ruining the whiteopia they created. Dissent will not be tolerated.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I think another aspect of the whole "small town justice" mindset is that, deep down, a lot of people know they're just talking poo poo. They know that they would never walk up and punch a protestor, or confront someone over their blue hair and pronouns. But, they know that someone from their community will, because they hype each other up until the point where the least-stable people among them will be totally okay with actually doing the crimes. From my experience, most small towns have the guy who openly talks about wanting to slaughter Democrats with guns and everyone just kinda tolerates them. That's the guy who's gonna actually do it. Conservatives know this, but saying it's some sort of collective "we don't tolerate that 'round here" lets them pretend that they, personally, are John Wayne, and that's what they're really after.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've lived in some "bad" neighborhoods in SF, Philly and Atlanta and nothing I experienced was ever as bad as things were made out to be. I've also traveled a lot through the US and been to (but never really lived in) my fair share of "small towns" and experienced "southern hospitality" first hand quite a lot. I did not find the people who lived in them particularly welcoming, polite or kind at all. There was fear and bullshit no matter where I went or where I lived and, believe me, small towns get up to as much violent and drug addled bullshit as anything I saw in the big cities. Meth, opioids and mean, ignorant, stupid people abound.

It was just that homeless people were more visible in large cities more than anything - for obvious reasons - and that people were more densely packed in so maybe a person brushed up on the chaos/crime a little bit more often. I think I've also heard more gunfire in the rural areas that I've spent time in.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, when I think of small towns I think of: opioid abuse, domestic violence, guns guns guns, corrupt police departments, meth, no jobs, poverty, boarded-up businesses, high crime, seething anger, bad services (schools, hospitals), racism, small-mindedness, and deaths of despair.

It's interesting how all the pathologies that cities supposedly suffered from in the 1970s and 80s have migrated to rural areas in the 21st century.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
In 2020 I helped my friend, his wife, and his newborn move across the country. I drove their second car with his wife's pink bike strapped to the back of it. When we were passing along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida the good ol' boys would frequently be mean mugging me whenever we stopped. As soon as you don't check all the boxes for "white, christian, conservative, straight" all that so-called Southern Hospitality goes right out the window. Plus I was wearing a mask so it's like I basically murdered all their kids right in front of them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My dad moved to a "small town" to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city after he divorced my mom (reality: he resigned from his nursing job+lost his nursing license for stealing morphine from patients :gonk: so he had to move far enough away for nobody to know about this, with a small enough community friendly enough to his new wife that he could reinvent himself to become a likable old man without any of the baggage attached to his old career or family).

He'd often talk about how much he liked it there, how everyone looked after one another, people said hello to each other and they were all close with their neighbors, the air was fresh and clean, everything was small and never crowded. And yet, with zero self awareness he'd tell me these crazy anecdotes. Like how how his sailboat was constantly being broken into and vandalized, how he almost got carjacked driving down the road to pick up his mail, how he had to get dogs to fend off the tweakers that would randomly wander into his back yard and rip flowers out of the planter boxes for no goddamn reason, etc. My youngest brother had to switch schools because my stepmother got in some feud with another PTA mom and the rival had her kid take it out on my brother. Every other year they had to evacuate because of massive wildfires or dealt with flooding.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

And I don't like having such a low opinion of such a large swath of the country, but it's hard not to.

I've always been interested in social sciences, and sometimes read articles or books to better understand these people. There are countless articles and books written by liberals trying to understand them.

I highly doubt there is anything even remotely like that on the right. Why try to understand what motivates liberal voters if you can just deny election results instead? They don't need to understand liberals because to them any liberal electoral victory is illegitimate and a threat to the country.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mustang posted:

In 2020 I helped my friend, his wife, and his newborn move across the country. I drove their second car with his wife's pink bike strapped to the back of it. When we were passing along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida the good ol' boys would frequently be mean mugging me whenever we stopped. As soon as you don't check all the boxes for "white, christian, conservative, straight" all that so-called Southern Hospitality goes right out the window. Plus I was wearing a mask so it's like I basically murdered all their kids right in front of them.

They did what? Actually mugged you? Or made fun of a pink bicycle?

And yeah, everyone who's all about "small town virtues" seems to think they're all like Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show where it's a simpler way of life, folks are real friendly, now, and everyone looks out for each other. Also, everyone's white.

John Mellencamp wrote a town called "Small Town" that seems to sum it up and is better than that new one everyone's on about but, like Bruce Springsteen, he's among the musicians whose work is totally misunderstood by some of their fans. There's a whole list of well known songs that "patriots" have adapted as conservative anthems that are deeply critical of the United States and it drives me nuts. But the songs say "Born in the USA" and "Oooo, that Red White and Blue" so they're good songs.

This latest dust up reminds me of that Toby Keith poo poo from 2002 but, IIRC, he changed his tune over time and faded into obscurity once he started questioning the teachings of Rush Limbaugh or something.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 23, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BiggerBoat posted:

mug as in the face, like mugshot

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

And yeah, everyone who's all about "small town virtues" seems to think they're all like Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show where it's a simpler way of life, folks are real friendly, now, and everyone looks out for each other. Also, everyone's white.

John Mellencamp wrote a town called "Small Town" that seems to sum it up and is better than that new one everyone's on about but, like Bruce Springsteen, he's among the musicians whose work is totally misunderstood by some of their fans. There's a whole list of well known songs that "patriots" have adapted as conservative anthems that are deeply critical of the United States and it drives me nuts. But the songs say "Born in the USA" and "Oooo, that Red White and Blue" so they're good songs.

This latest dust up reminds me of that Toby Keith poo poo from 2002 but, IIRC, he changed his tune over time and faded into obscurity once he started questioning the teachings of Rush Limbaugh or something.

Stared in an uncomfortable way. My wife is Latina, and whenever she goes up to where my brother live she gets gawked at because she's like the only non white person in the area.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah like giving you the stink eye or however you want to phrase it. Just staring at me looking pissed, presumably because of some combination of driving a car with a pink bike on it and a mask on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My mom, in typical tone deaf boomer liberal fashion, got me a Tshirt with Biden+Harris on it :psyduck: and I often joke about wearing it it when I go visit my brother but my wife is too worried I'll piss off the wrong chud.

Still, it often makes me wonder with all the posturing they'll do with their MAGA hats and big trucks and whatnot how they'll handle when the antagonism is on the other foot. I know there's a lot of projection on their end, which is what makes me curious about how easy it would be to trigger them.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Somewhat related to vanishing RWM figures and also thread relevant: the gently caress ever happened happened to the Drudge Report?

I monitor and subject myself to some of this poo poo and I haven't so much as heard the word "Drudge" mentioned in probably more than five loving years. Maybe longer. Did he get cast out as a Never Trumper, retire, die or just fade out like MySpace? He must have committed a cardinal sin somewhere.

This might be because I’m old and became politically aware during the 2nd Clinton Admin/Lewinsky scandal but Drudge is still one of my go-to page visits to get a pulse for what is animating the right and just breaking political news. He’s definitely not the “sets the agenda as shadow producer for RW media” as he once was though - it was really interesting to see how HARD against Trump he was during his presidency and continues today.

He has always had an interesting ability to cultivate heterodox articles and perspectives, including media and showbiz stuff, and just bizarre news.

Apparently his traffic is way down from the past couple of years as everything has become algo driven but still has a pretty wide reach

https://www.axios.com/2020/07/21/matt-drudge-report-traffic-book

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
wasn't drudge report sold late in the trump presidency?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tarezax posted:

mug as in the face, like mugshot

Panfilo posted:

Stared in an uncomfortable way. My wife is Latina, and whenever she goes up to where my brother live she gets gawked at because she's like the only non white person in the area.

Mustang posted:

Yeah like giving you the stink eye or however you want to phrase it. Just staring at me looking pissed, presumably because of some combination of driving a car with a pink bike on it and a mask on.

Oh, OK, thanks. So...because OP had a PINK bicycle on their rack?

Now I'm even more confused. You sure you weren't going 10 mph under in the passing lane or had your blinker on for 10 miles? Any "offensive" bumper stickers that might express an empathetic view of any sort?

Assuming it even matters at all, how did the muggers know that OP didn't just have a wife and 3 daughters who like riding bikes? Maybe someone can write about a song about trying that in a small town.

As for the mask, the trick is/was to make sure that your mask is some version of an American Flag. Encountering one in the wild renders the conservative confused and puts them in a conflicted fight or flight state since they are not sure whether to worship the mask, spontaneously rise and burst into a rendition of Star Spangled Banner or hate it on principal for its Fauci communism. It was a common tactic during the pandemic for people looking to have it both ways; being a Freedom but also complying with mask mandates.

"Yeah, I'm wearin' this mask (against my will) but 'USA USA USA' so suck it, libs. My mask got an Eagle on it"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 23, 2023

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
For people that complain so openly about cancel culture, here's an app to cancel your sliced bread if it's too "woke".

Sorry Frosted Flakes, your mascot posed for a photo with a transsexual. I cannot consume you for breakfast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just minding my own business, riding my pink bicycle with my Biden Harris N95 mask :smug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Andrew Tate still trying to act like a big boy

https://twitter.com/SaeedDiCaprio/status/1683087720216756225?s=20

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Why does this supposed alpha male or whatever even care what his daddy thinks?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It doesn't matter because his dad has been dead for awhile. He was a famous chess player.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I meant more like it's a weird contradiction to encourage people to be hyperfocused on doing things that will make other men like you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His core audience is 12-17 years old, so it kind of makes sense.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

If you have a good dad, making him proud is easy. I'm sad his dad sucked.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel bad for all these broken people whose dads obviously did not love them, nor provide the guidance and wisdom they needed to avoid turning into stupid misogynist CHUDs.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"Not deep in his heart."

Gotta love those CHUD weasel words. See, even if your Dad says he's proud of you, I, a random stranger, know what he really feels.

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023

Xand_Man posted:

"Not deep in his heart."

Gotta love those CHUD weasel words. See, even if your Dad says he's proud of you, I, a random stranger, know what he really feels.

Not even to mention that, even if true, who’d want to make their father proud if that’s all they’d accept?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's just genetics, man. Dad loves the poo poo out of you, but he'll be disappointed every time you don't arrive stridently, stained with the blood of your enemies. That poo poo's hard-coded.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My dad is not an “express his emotions” type at all. I do not know if he has ever directly said that he is proud of me or that he loves me.

Back in 2017, I wrote a book because I thought it would be fun. At Thanksgiving, he came up and told me that he read the whole thing, loved it and that it was the first book he had read for fun since he graduated in 1968. He then proceeded to tell my aunts and uncles how good the book and how they should all buy it.

My mom, on the other hand, who constantly says how proud she is of me has not made it past chapter three because she falls asleep every time she reads.

Parents are weird beings and this rear end in a top hat has no idea what he is talking about.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is this literally the worst thing ever said on air on Fox News?

https://twitter.com/DecodingFoxNews/status/1683605276472008705

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

What day is it?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Conservatives have long believed that everyone who can’t work deserves to die, and that some people deserve to die no matter what work they can do.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure there is a famous sign that summarizes Gutfield!’s point

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Conservatives have long believed that everyone who can’t work deserves to die, and that some people deserve to die no matter what work they can do.

So conservatives believe life is basically one big Nazi camp? That would explain a lot actually.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Charlz Guybon posted:

"What about gender"

It's like shave and a haircut for them. They can't help it. They have to burst through the wall.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mustang posted:

I don't understand how conservatives aren't completely exhausted from being angry at everything all the loving time.

They'd be exhausted and depressed if they weren't angry all the time. Adrenaline addiction is a real thing. If you're sad you're weak, if you're pissed it numbs the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mechanical Ape posted:

So conservatives believe life is basically one big Nazi camp? That would explain a lot actually.

For everyone else. They themselves would be camp staff, or approving civilians back home ala the women of Hamburg who happily bid at auction for the confiscated home goods of their neighbors who'd been sent to the KZ.