Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I went to a small Catholic school for years 6-7
Memories

Meeting two Korean kids and them teaching me how to spin plates

Having a disagreement with a bully and both of us being placed on the school oval on chairs until we were friends

A loving miracle where a large tree branch fell right along the length of a bench that a class had been sitting there 1-2 minutes prior

Learning to play poker from a poker for dummies book that was randomly in the library

Doing ballroom dancing and not being entirely poo poo at it

A super religious teacher who just refused to believe bathyspheres and how deep they go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Jestery posted:

I went to a small Catholic school for years 6-7
Memories

Meeting two Korean kids and them teaching me how to spin plates

Having a disagreement with a bully and both of us being placed on the school oval on chairs until we were friends

A loving miracle where a large tree branch fell right along the length of a bench that a class had been sitting there 1-2 minutes prior

Learning to play poker from a poker for dummies book that was randomly in the library

Doing ballroom dancing and not being entirely poo poo at it

A super religious teacher who just refused to believe bathyspheres and how deep they go

:cool:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

CAMP FARTING ROCKS posted:

it probably wasn't named echidna by the Goodjingburra people

Well the sign says Booniny.

Rolls off the tongue mate.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

As a side note to the current poll if a plastic bag is small enough it is no longer a zip lock bag it becomes a saddie (you know I'm not sure I've ever had to spell this before, is it one or two d's?). You're not asking a mate to pass a zip lock bag to you at the pub when you're having nose beers.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

CAMP FARTING ROCKS posted:

it probably wasn't named echidna by the Goodjingburra people

Our most well known native animals don't have conventionally Anglo names, either. It's all a bit weird.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Kangaroo is an indigenous word iirc, the story I heard is that it’s from “gunguru”, which was the local indigenous name for them when roos were first encountered by Europeans (when Cook stopped to repair Endeavour up at what’s now Cooktown in 1770)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How many things are now called what amounts to the local term for "gently caress off whitey"?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Inceltown posted:

How many things are now called what amounts to the local term for "gently caress off whitey"?

Isn't that where oval office came from?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Inceltown posted:

Some place names just mean poo poo like “white man in a hole”

quote:

Coober Pedy is considered by the senior Western Desert people to be the traditional land of the Arabana people country, but Kokatha and Yankunytjatjara people are also closely attached to some ceremonial sites in the area. The origin of the name of the town (decided in 1920[8]) is thought to derive from the words in the Kokatha language, kupa piti, usually translated as "whitefella – hole in the ground", or guba bidi, "white man’s holes", relating to white people's mining activities

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Speaking of place names, let’s check how Sydney’s suburb of Blacktown got its name, because yes it’s exactly what you think it is

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

webmeister posted:

Speaking of place names, let’s check how Sydney’s suburb of Blacktown got its name, because yes it’s exactly what you think it is

Blacktown Australia posted:

1820s - A number of land grants were made. The Native Institute, known as ' Black Town', was built at Plumpton to assimilate the Aborigines into European ways. It was abandoned by 1833.

It would appear so.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Inceltown posted:

As a side note to the current poll if a plastic bag is small enough it is no longer a zip lock bag it becomes a saddie (you know I'm not sure I've ever had to spell this before, is it one or two d's?). You're not asking a mate to pass a zip lock bag to you at the pub when you're having nose beers.

Never heard that. It's always been a baggie where i've lived.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wait till you find out why it's called Boundary Street.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Caedes posted:

Never heard that. It's always been a baggie where i've lived.

Short for satchel.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

wikipedia posted:

Lake Wendouree (/ˌwɛndəˈriː/) is an artificially created and maintained shallow urban lake located adjacent to the suburb of the same name in the city of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. The name Wendouree comes from a local Aboriginal word wendaaree which means 'go away': a story is told that when settler William Cross Yuille asked a local Indigenous woman what the name of the swamp was, that was her reply.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

webmeister posted:

Kangaroo is an indigenous word iirc, the story I heard is that it’s from “gunguru”, which was the local indigenous name for them when roos were first encountered by Europeans (when Cook stopped to repair Endeavour up at what’s now Cooktown in 1770)

There's the apocryphal story that Cook asked what they called kangaroos and the dude said "kangaroo" which meant "I don't know what you're saying". Wish it was true

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Wait till you find out why it's called Boundary Street.

history posted:

Two streets in Brisbane's West End and Spring Hill - either side of the city's CBD - are called Boundary Street.

But the little-known story behind the name of the bustling inner-city roads is one of the strict racial segregation governing Indigenous communities in Brisbane in the mid-1800s.

The streets marked a perimeter line Aboriginal locals had to stay outside of after 4pm between Monday and Saturday and all day on Sundays.

Police troopers lining the street would drive out the unwanted Indigenous workers after a day's work using cracking stock-whips, according to the State Library of Queensland.

'For whites in Queensland's colonial towns the problem remained of keeping Aborigines at a sufficient distance to contain them as a perceived social and moral liability, whilst maintaining them near enough, as a cheap expendable labour force.

In solving this problem the metropolitan police became a vital ingredient – allowing Aborigines into the township for desultory and dirty labour by day, then driving them out at "curfew" times each evening.'

Looks like I just found out :(

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
gently caress off Blow

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Jestery posted:

gently caress off Blow

Why?

I seriously didn't know about Boundary St.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
gently caress off blow

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Inceltown posted:

The name of Melbourne's yearly festival Moomba is a word which, in a at least a couple of Aboriginal languages (there are many) means "Stick it up your arse."

This isn't just rumour, I've seen it in a book about Aboriginal languages.

And it's exactly what I might suggest if I had suffered decades of systemic racism and was asked by a government worker what to name their festival. :five:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BigBadSteve posted:

The name of Melbourne's yearly festival Moomba is a word which, in a at least a couple of Aboriginal languages (there are many) means "Stick it up your arse."

This isn't just rumour, I've seen it in a book about Aboriginal languages.

And it's exactly what I might suggest if I had suffered decades of systemic racism and was asked by a government worker what to name their festival. :five:

Yes, this is what I'm here for. Wendouree is what made me think there has to be more of them out there.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's even on the official wikipedia etymology section for the festival

quote:

The festival was originally named Moomba by organisers in the belief it was a native word meaning 'let's get together and have fun.' Credit is usually given to Bill Onus, a unionist and member of the Australian Aborigines' League for proposing the term, which he used in a play, Aboriginal Moomba in 1951.[4] In 1969 Luise Hercus glossed the word mum (rhyming with 'vroom')[5] as meaning 'bottom, rump', and suggested mum-ba meant something like 'bottom and..', and had been introduced from Healesville usage as a joke.[6] In 1981 Barry Blake analysed the word as combining as mum (anus) and –ba, a locative suffix meaning 'at, in, on'. This would give the sense of 'up your bum/arse'.[7][8]

Onus himself, according to his daughter-in-law, who said she had heard the story from Onus's wife Mary, had picked up the word from a word list of indigenous terms.[4] Some say he did it to get back at the city council for having deliberately upstaged the traditional Labour Day march with a popular carnival. Lin Onus, his son, stated that indeed his father had intended to play a prank in passing on the word with this sense.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

have an extremely cursed australiana image

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao at saluting the flag and WAY more white people see alcohol as an obligation than a choice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I knew I never trusted that bluey character.

Always seems like a right wanker.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Why is that show so popular. It's for children but adults are stoked about it for some reason

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Because its not the dull 2+2 is 4 poo poo that is usually made for kids. And it has Ray "Rabs" Warren in it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Peccadillo posted:

Why is that show so popular. It's for children but adults are stoked about it for some reason

While I will agree that the love for it is incredibly overblown, you do have to contrast it against all the rest of kid's TV which is mostly zero-effort dreck.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Guess I need to have a kid

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Because its not the dull 2+2 is 4 poo poo that is usually made for kids. And it has Ray "Rabs" Warren in it

Also the lead singer from Custard plays the dad.

And if you have alittle kid and are subjected to the morass of candy coloured mediocrity that is young childrens TV, then Bluey is a breath of fresh air. A breath of fresh air where the dad is voiced by a 90s Queensland Indie Rocker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dr_rat posted:

I knew I never trusted that bluey character.

Always seems like a right wanker.

Bargearse is gonna show up to piss on your front door for this.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Also it tackles things that are on the mind of every child, like the state of origin and the ashes and was is dad so grumpy and sleepy today

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Non Compos Mentis posted:

And it has Ray "Rabs" Warren in it

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also the lead singer from Custard plays the dad.

Absolute Gen X bait, aimed squarely between the eyes of 90's kids who now have kids of their own, oh it's Dave McCormack, how hip, he who refused to play Lucky Star in 2000 while supporting Steve Malkmus, saying "we dont play that old poo poo", but then gladly did it while supporting TMBG a few months later

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

spaceblancmange posted:

"I am a loving dog."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

What the gently caress kind of "australian" has ever saluted the flag?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

spaceblancmange posted:

spending ages adjusting my dictionaries so the key words are underlined by MS word

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Lone Badger posted:

We had to do it at Monday morning assembly when I was a little tyke. I have no idea why it was only on Monday.

We had to recite this pledge and the boys had to salute.

quote:

"I love God and my country, I honour the flag, I will serve the Queen, and cheerfully obey my parents, teachers and the law".

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

The seig heil is still a salute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lolie posted:

We had to do it at Monday morning assembly when I was a little tyke. I have no idea why it was only on Monday.

We had to recite this pledge and the boys had to salute.

Your school was hosed mate.