Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my doctor was trying to use speech to text instead of just typing out notes and every time he got to a vaguely medical word he had to repeat it like 5 times and then give up and type it

also it's great hearing him list out loud poo poo that's wrong with me in front of me but not to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

training a transcription model on medical transcriptions would probably be quite doable if they actually tried to do that though

the existing ones presumably just aren't trained on that kind of data

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol my doctor was just complaining to me about how garbage the medical speech to text software he uses is and then asked if i could fix it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

training a transcription model on medical transcriptions would probably be quite doable if they actually tried to do that though

i imagine it's not the training data that's the problem, it's the speech to text. theres a lot of jargon and pronunciation can be all over the place

i mean, that's not going to do anything for the llm spitting out hallucinatory data or stop it from randomly switching medicine names around or something, but basic summarization in a litany of formats is not a problem for them until they start making things up

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i imagine it's not the training data that's the problem, it's the speech to text. theres a lot of jargon and pronunciation can be all over the place

i mean, that's not going to do anything for the llm spitting out hallucinatory data or stop it from randomly switching medicine names around or something, but summarization in a litany of formats is not a problem for them
What I'm saying is that the reason the existing speech to text models aren't good at medical terms is because they aren't trained on that type of thing. If you include medical transcriptions when training one, you could presumably get much better results.

Of course if they're just using chatgpt there's no training data involved in the summarization process so they can't fix that part if they wanted to

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

apparently according to him on the screen where you enter prescriptions if you say weird drug names it gets it every time, but if you say them anywhere else it has no idea what you're saying

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
medical software is enterprise software for all the ancient enterprise software reasons so you can never expect it to be good and if its good you can expect it to rapidly go to poo poo

they still havent gotten off of mumps, why would you expect them to be able to do anything in any way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are a handful of places where this kind of AI poo poo might be useful in healthcare:
suggestions to the doctor based on medical history (dont actually need AI for this, just codified policy and procedure)
suggestions to the doctor during the consult based on speech to text keyword triggers that still require the doctor to accept or ignore (also probably dont need AI for this, but if trained properly it could get good at speech to text)
mass analysis of transcripts and medical data/history/outcomes to find unknown correlations that can be passed off to a human for study.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

medical / AI related, this 'long but worth it' Tumblr post about the KOKOBOT mental health bit that Tumble management have partnered with has some yikes moments:

https://www.tumblr.com/charlesfosterofdensen/723689352281178112

If you're having a type of issue, it will connect you to another user with a similar issue to try and work things out between you, I don't have to explain how bad an idea this is even surface-level before the opportunity for abuse of the system.

edit: ugh the Tumblr management are trying to ride the twitter discontent wave to gee up account signups by adding a 'log in to read more' blocker, that's only just been added. fucks sake.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 24, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

medical / AI related, this 'long but worth it' Tumblr post about the KOKOBOT mental health bit that Tumble management have partnered with has some yikes moments:

https://www.tumblr.com/charlesfosterofdensen/723689352281178112

If you're having a type of issue, it will connect you to another user with a similar issue to try and work things out between you, I don't have to explain how bad an idea this is even surface-level before the opportunity for abuse of the system.
This is crazy because even assuming it actually works as intended, why would connecting people to other people with the same issues even be a good idea?

But of course once you add people trying to abuse it jesus christ

like just the thought of someone telling it "oh yeah I'm totally an abused minor, please connect me to some abused minors thanks" is just loving terrifying

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
about 15-35% of all doctor time throughout the united states is spent dealing with this bullshit, with software production value i would not accept from high school interns. direct traceable fatalities in the hundreds, costs in the tens to hundreds of billions. they need to learn to write a db crud app before trying ml poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

This is crazy because even assuming it actually works as intended, why would connecting people to other people with the same issues even be a good idea?

like just the thought of someone telling it "oh yeah I'm totally an abused minor, please connect me to some abused minors thanks" is just loving terrifying

peer support without mediation is a great idea, just look at cspam e/n

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 24, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

mystes posted:

:eyepop: I wish you could read the whole thing without a signup bug in the way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

if you have ublock origin or a similar rules based filter, this should solve the login wall problem

code:
||assets.tumblr.com/pop/js/modern/async-login-wall-*.js$script,redirect=noop.js

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah that's horrifying and it pretty much seems like the worst idea ever. It really seems like someone should stop it but I guess it's not illegal or anything somehow so it's probably going to take a lawsuit after children are harmed by it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

that's insane

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

about 15-35% of all doctor time throughout the united states is spent dealing with this bullshit, with software production value i would not accept from high school interns. direct traceable fatalities in the hundreds, costs in the tens to hundreds of billions. they need to learn to write a db crud app before trying ml poo poo

one of the biggest problems with EHRs is that they're designed to be customized for every provider that uses them which will always create bad outcomes, not just in terms of software quality but also in the poor medical processes they promote.

that said if traceable deaths to EHRs is only in the hundreds its probably doing waaaaay better than written paperwork.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and yeah that's a lawsuit waiting to happen, goddamn

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
last page, but jeff issues outstanding:

setting it so that people have to be logged in to buy other people's avatars. this would give admins the power to find and permaban people who buy others really loving lovely abusive avatars. this is solely a jeff thing that everyone wants done but he hasn't done yet. there is not a technical limitation to this. it is literally just in jeff's hands.

the front page. jeff promised to revamp this and has failed to do absolutely anything with it. you have to work to get to the front page now, as somethingawful.com just redirects directly to the forum.

jeff has also failed to give us any of the updates re: forums financing/operating costs/other stats.

these are just three things while there are further policy and tech things that he could be working on, but he doesn't. he's actively disengaged, and i wish he'd hire a community manager so that poo poo could get done.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

one of the biggest problems with EHRs is that they're designed to be customized for every provider that uses them which will always create bad outcomes, not just in terms of software quality but also in the poor medical processes they promote.

that said if traceable deaths to EHRs is only in the hundreds its probably doing waaaaay better than written paperwork.

i do some support work for a consulting radiologist and every single time she gets patient record data from a hospital, it's in a different format and a different app. even the metadata for the images is formatted differently depending on what brand of machine it went through, and half the time the basic poo poo like time and date are wrong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

peer support without mediation is a great idea, just look at cspam e/n

or like, most of reddit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yo what the gently caress, who would ever think this is a good idea to make

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

yo what the gently caress, who would ever think this is a good idea to make

people selling llms as a solution to anything

this is the "exuberance" phase of new tech and there are plenty of charlatans willing to tell you it will cure what ails you and everyone else too

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

last page, but jeff issues outstanding:

setting it so that people have to be logged in to buy other people's avatars. this would give admins the power to find and permaban people who buy others really loving lovely abusive avatars. this is solely a jeff thing that everyone wants done but he hasn't done yet. there is not a technical limitation to this. it is literally just in jeff's hands.

the front page. jeff promised to revamp this and has failed to do absolutely anything with it. you have to work to get to the front page now, as somethingawful.com just redirects directly to the forum.

jeff has also failed to give us any of the updates re: forums financing/operating costs/other stats.

these are just three things while there are further policy and tech things that he could be working on, but he doesn't. he's actively disengaged, and i wish he'd hire a community manager so that poo poo could get done.

there's a front page?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

yeah this

like idgaf about whether fyad exists but how about no ironic racism and slurs? doesnt seem like a high bar

agreed, unless it’s really funny like doublesur

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

there's a front page?

not anymore there isn't

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

agreed, unless it’s really funny like doublesur
what's doublesur?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not much, what's up with you?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this system was designed by someone who has never had any actual problems ever and it shows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

or like, most of reddit

absolutely damning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i do some support work for a consulting radiologist and every single time she gets patient record data from a hospital, it's in a different format and a different app. even the metadata for the images is formatted differently depending on what brand of machine it went through, and half the time the basic poo poo like time and date are wrong

In theory CMS was supposed to come up with standards for all EHRs to use and then give money to providers to buy EHRs that meet those standards but all CMS actually knows how to do is the "give money to providers" part so the standards are a joke.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

this system was designed by someone who has never had any actual problems ever and it shows
It was probably designed entirely by people who were popular and or bullies in high school

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

It was probably designed entirely by people who were popular and or bullies in high school

no mystes, it's a piece of software

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
one interesting avenue of research on ai in medicine is some degree of guidance for doctors on treatment plans. not like where you let the ai doctor diagnose you and completely design your path through the healthcare system, but there are a lot of cases where somebody might be suffering multiple morbidities. and many times the “optimal” treatment plan for one condition will not only be contraindicated for another but also change how a third, fourth, or fifth might react. that’s a lot of information to keep straight in the moment

post hole digger posted:

it was snape kills dumbledore whenever that book came out too once lol

as i die my last thought will probably be that dude driving up to a barnes and noble and screaming that out with a woman running after him, going “you biiitch”

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Shaggar posted:

In theory CMS was supposed to come up with standards for all EHRs to use and then give money to providers to buy EHRs that meet those standards but all CMS actually knows how to do is the "give money to providers" part so the standards are a joke.

the hospital I worked at had a small dev team that just handled HL7 translations between systems in just that one hospital because nothing followed the standard at all

I can’t loving imagine doing that as a job 40 hours a week.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

idk about the whole medical ai thing. on one hand my doctor has given me provably bad advice that makes sense at face level. on the other i'm kind of cooling on any enthusiasm i had for ai poo poo. it's often embarrassingly wrong, unwilling to admit that it's wrong, and is just kind of incapable of nuance.

both sides suck in a lot of ways. the humans will be happy to bring their biases to the table and gently caress up care for everyone. the machines just follow the biases of all the data they have and can only just spit out what statistically goes together which is its own problem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
for the record i only mean academic research, i’ve yet to see a private company do something really great with it in a patient-facing sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Eeyo posted:

it's often embarrassingly wrong, unwilling to admit that it's wrong, and is just kind of incapable of nuance.

okay, sure, but it must be worse than your average doctor somehow

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah that does also describes lots of doctors.

it is hosed either way, but i guess i'd just prefer to take my odds with the humans. at least i can read a human, those loving machines are black boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at least i can sue a doctor for malpractice