Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who watch Hestu's dance every time, and Hitlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You can just use monster parts for cooling/heating shields too. I mostly used Keese wings. If the game didn't prioritize picking up items over swinging your elemental shields, they'd be so much more useful :eng99:

Remote bombs are really good for shields. They let you do bomb jumps without wasting regular bombs. You can even shoot out multiple with a multishot bow to fuse several while only spending one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
As someone who left the thread in late April, and went low contact on Zelda youtube and articles until I beat the game yesterday, I'm still getting used to zonai-wing shields allowing ground-level bullet-time jumps.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Luff posted:

You can even shoot out multiple with a multishot bow to fuse several while only spending one.

What?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Yeah, you can fuse them to your shields while they're counting down

Edit: Oh wait they're called time bombs. I meant those

Luff fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 23, 2023

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I fused dragon shards to most of my shields since they look awesome and have the same heating/cooling effect as gems.

I have a top tier Zonai shield fused to my Hylian shield since it feels appropriate and I assume it makes the durability really high.

As for swords, a Stalnox horn on a Dusk Sword is my go-to fashion for wandering around town

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Concluding thoughts for now:

The Good:

The main Zelda plot worked better for me than in BOTW. Climactic battle was nifty.

I really liked the Depths. Something about lighting up the darkness, and the general atmosphere just worked. I would have enjoyed more Yiga camps to plunder, more arenas, and more weird, unique locations.

Caves were cool! Caves in BOTW were pretty under-detailed, so I was impressed how much effort went into them.

Some nice jump-scares. Evermean, Gloom Hands, blinsided by little Frox, encountering Big Frox, Gleeok, or Resident-Evil Gerudo Town the first time were all great.

Fusing made combat more interesting and rewarding.

The Bad:

Interacting with Sages/wills was more irritating than beneficial. I didn't enjoy the Temples much.

Being so sprawling, I didn't feel like I connected to anything as much as I did in BOTW. The heart was still there, but it was spread too thin.

Very disappointed with the sky islands. The Temple of Time was neat, some of the Spheres were cool, but otherwise, I didn't feel like there was much reward in exploring.

Too many useless Zonai devices. Either needed a way to buy specific stuff, or recycle capsules that aren't going to get used.

Clothes and upgrades were crazy expensive.

Misc:

Yunobo should have gotten to keep his Lucha mask.

I'm too dumb to build anything that works.

I killed myself with canons 95% of the time, but wouldn't stop using them.

Really need an auto-pickup function. Or a poe-attractor.

If there's a sequel, I hope it leaves Hyrule and Ganon entierly. Do something different.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Failson posted:

Concluding thoughts for now:

The Bad:

Too many useless Zonai devices. Either needed a way to buy specific stuff, or recycle capsules that aren't going to get used.

Misc:

I'm too dumb to build anything that works.

These two are very much connected, I ended up playing with the different kinds of devices and it made building stuff much more fun compared to just slapping down a base with wheels on it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Failson posted:

This exists, the constructs who convert Crystalized Charges to Energy Cells will convert Charges to a Zonai device of your choosing after you have maxed out your Energy Cells.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Klungar posted:

This exists, the constructs who convert Crystalized Charges to Energy Cells will convert Charges to a Zonai device of your choosing after you have maxed out your Energy Cells.

I've played for hundreds of hours and am nowhere close to maxing out the battery. Not a realistic way to solve this problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just finished the game:
All temples, all shrines, all lightroots.

Better than BOTW.

Fusion was neat, but NOT the answer to the combat. If anything it just gave them a pass to give mobs to much hp

Shrine puzzles were fun the right way and always cheesed if you couldn't figure it out (good)

The depths is good the first time, and when you encounter the lava. Tedious otherwise.

Gleeoks are a welcome addition to the stable.

I liked every temple, but I wish they figured out how to have the sages not tell the same story which surprised the descendants in the same way every time.

gently caress weapon HP.
Game is still bad, imo but they're getting there.
Can't wait to see how I'm tricked into buying botw3

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 24, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I've played for hundreds of hours and am nowhere close to maxing out the battery. Not a realistic way to solve this problem.

Are you not doing anything in the depths, I have more crystallized charges than I know what to do with and I definitely maxed out my battery before I hit 200 hours. Granted, I never spent zonaite on autobuild so maybe that burns through resources if you don't like playing the capsule gacha for whatever reason.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Coxswain Balls posted:

Are you not doing anything in the depths, I have more crystallized charges than I know what to do with and I definitely maxed out my battery before I hit 200 hours. Granted, I never spent zonaite on autobuild so maybe that burns through resources if you don't like playing the capsule gacha for whatever reason.

It's a lot of charges and the constructs only sell so much. I'm only at 10 batteries.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Minibosses drop crystallized charges, and large ones can be found in a bunch of chests in groves and smaller mines. Yiga bases always have one next to the schematic, and bosses usually guard a huge one worth 100.

Additionally, every major mine has a forge construct, so you don't have to wait for one to restock if you have a bunch of zonaite burning a hole in your pocket.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Minibosses drop crystallized charges, and large ones can be found in a bunch of chests in groves and smaller mines. Yiga bases always have one next to the schematic, and bosses usually guard a huge one worth 100.

Additionally, every major mine has a forge construct, so you don't have to wait for one to restock if you have a bunch of zonaite burning a hole in your pocket.

If you have the right masks and/or just don't give a gently caress you can also run into monster camps and mine their Zoanite then zoom away(some of them have a Chu Chu or Like Like posted as a guard to stop Majora's Mask shenanigans though). Just dropping by to raid one now and again will let you end up with a surprisingly large amount of Large Zoanite

Even if you mostly ignore those just clearing out the mines/bosses will get you a ton.

e: also yeah you should never run out of crystals to buy unless you've mined a truly astounding amount of Zoanite or haven't done anything at all in the Depths

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 24, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just realized even though I did the Tarrytown family quest weeks ago I never bought my plot of land and started to build my house :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can max the battery in a couple of hours?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

CainFortea posted:

You can max the battery in a couple of hours?

I don't know man. Everyone says there are arrows everywhere and I'm constantly low on arrows. I mine every zonaite deposit I come across (though I do autobuild a lot), I've done all of the boss refights, I fight every depths boss I see, and I'm like a third of the way through the blue bar.

I have a feeling a bunch of people are just playing a hyper-optimized game and I'm just not? Can't imagine maxing out the battery in "a couple of hours," that just sounds like a loving lie. The fastest method I know of, boss refights, gives you 1200 total, which gets you a quarter of the way there, and requires you to fight twelve bosses AFTER unlocking them by beating their respective dungeons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have a feeling a bunch of people are just playing a hyper-optimized game and I'm just not?

I feel like that a lot of the time when I see advice online, like my experience is just a completely different game. I don't know what to make of that battery comment, I finished the game at around 110 hours while specifically spending a lot of time doing the rounds re-fighting minibosses for the crystalized charges after blood moons, and I ended up with 8 1/3 batteries. That seems fine, I dunno what I would do to change that without just looking up optimal grind strategies or something instead of playing how I felt like.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I just past play the game and have fun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't know man. Everyone says there are arrows everywhere and I'm constantly low on arrows. I mine every zonaite deposit I come across (though I do autobuild a lot), I've done all of the boss refights, I fight every depths boss I see, and I'm like a third of the way through the blue bar.

I have a feeling a bunch of people are just playing a hyper-optimized game and I'm just not? Can't imagine maxing out the battery in "a couple of hours," that just sounds like a loving lie. The fastest method I know of, boss refights, gives you 1200 total, which gets you a quarter of the way there, and requires you to fight twelve bosses AFTER unlocking them by beating their respective dungeons.

Each of the boss re-encounters gives you 100 crystalized charges. There's 12 of them, so 4 batteries.

You get 5 Huge Charges (300 crystalized charge) by defeating Master Khoga through the whole quest line. That's 5 batteries.

Just doing those two things will get you 9 entire batteries.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Each of the boss re-encounters gives you 100 crystalized charges. There's 12 of them, so 4 batteries.

You get 5 Huge Charges (300 crystalized charge) by defeating Master Khoga through the whole quest line. That's 5 batteries.

Just doing those two things will get you 9 entire batteries.

Yeah idk, this sounds like 30+ hours of gameplay at least, if you're exploring the depths moderately efficiently and not following a guide. Maybe you can do it in a few hours if you're following a guide and trying to optimize your Batteries Per Hour, but that sounds extremely unfun.

I got a full set of batteries and upgraded maybe 2 of them by the time I was done with the game and honestly there isn't really a solid reason to get even that many.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If you enjoy exploring the depths, raiding camps, killing bosses, and all that jazz, the batteries will come.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Murdstone posted:

I just past play the game and have fun.

This is all I did, and I didn't read or watch anything online about the game until I beat it. Didn't get so much as a single YouTube recommendation since I was avoiding it so much. I just wandered around and explored whatever caught my fancy or looked interesting, beating up monsters and smashing up rocks along the way. Nothing close to what anyone would call optimized, especially since I had the HUD turned off and didn't use the hero's path in the Purah pad until the very end of the game, since I wanted to remember places by the landscape rather than waypoints and lines on a map. Maybe it's because I did most of my exploring on foot instead of using vehicles in the depths? I can see missing a lot of stuff if you're dashing straight from point A to B on a hoverbike.

As for arrows I had the same issue until I started breaking boxes. It feels like most of the time you're only getting single arrows, but it definitely adds up, especially with the 5x and 10x bundles. I went from always being under a hundred to never going below 500 arrows once I started doing that. I also always bought arrows from shops once I had a decent income, gotta do my part to help out the local economy. If you're short on cash, there's also someone in Rito village that trades fish for arrows at a decent rate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mymla posted:

Yeah idk, this sounds like 30+ hours of gameplay at least, if you're exploring the depths moderately efficiently and not following a guide. Maybe you can do it in a few hours if you're following a guide and trying to optimize your Batteries Per Hour, but that sounds extremely unfun.

I got a full set of batteries and upgraded maybe 2 of them by the time I was done with the game and honestly there isn't really a solid reason to get even that many.

It might take you 30 hours if you RP walk the whole time.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alxprit posted:

If you enjoy exploring the depths, raiding camps, killing bosses, and all that jazz, the batteries will come.

That part's the problem for me, for a long time I didn't go into the depths much because there's so much poo poo to see on the surface as it is.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kind of curious about other peoples' path maps to see if they look any different depending on playstyle. 285 hours according to my profile.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've been loving off A LOT in this game and it was just the other day that I got the first full set of batteries and am now 1 extra and building towards the double battery situation. I rarely use any Zonite to build poo poo, and if I do, it's a low level build like a hoverbike, so that probably helps. Also I put a teleport ring next to one of the refineries in the depths and when I finally have a lot of Zonite I hit that place up and the one in the sky island across the way from the temple of time and purchase as much as I can of the refined crystals. What makes me nuts is that you cannot pay for smaller refined crystals with large zonite, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Built my house, using 15 units. At first I was upset that I had a large open air wall on my 2nd story but then I realized I could angle my house to get a sunset view. Also my horse can be boarded and I can have him watch me while I cook :3:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mymla posted:

Yeah idk, this sounds like 30+ hours of gameplay at least, if you're exploring the depths moderately efficiently and not following a guide.

It's not even 1 for the quest stuff, they tell you exactly where to go each time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Mulva posted:

It's not even 1 for the quest stuff, they tell you exactly where to go each time.

Tbh I don't think anyone except you just built an airplane and flew past all the statues straight to the quest objective.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mymla posted:

Tbh I don't think anyone except you just built an airplane and flew past all the statues straight to the quest objective.

I didn't build an airplane. I only ever explored on foot. What I did do is snag the towers early and jump in from above, which makes getting to the places they told me to fairly easy.

Like the actual hour may be spread over 15 because you don't focus on it and decide to organically go to those parts of the world, but it's the easiest loving quest in the world. "Go here, all the statues point to the end point". And you do the stuff and you get a neat power and a ton of batteries. Pretty fun fights too. It's just a fun little thing to do.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I didn't even use the statues very much, I saw the stuff under the plateau and wanted to see what was under the major towns. I did follow the Zora statues at one point before the abandoned central mine and was very confused with a big empty nothing area, since I didn't have autobuild yet. I gave up on boss refights pretty early on (besides colgera :hellyeah:) and still ended with 9 full batteries

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I was on 3 total batteries for a while and had no idea how people were getting more until I stopped avoiding monster camps. They each have like 6+ zonaite ores and drop large zonaite, so now I just clean them up in between doing depths stuff and get like 2-3 segments worth of battery each time

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

I don't know man. Everyone says there are arrows everywhere and I'm constantly low on arrows.

Arrows are in almost every wooden crate. Almost every Stable has those wooden crates. Every stable has a shrine nearby. Some of them also have a free axe for you, many of them will have an axe blade at the Hudson Stand nearby.

Every time I feel like I'm running low on arrows,, I do a tour of all the stables, and get over a hundred arrows in about ten minutes for free.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

I was on 3 total batteries for a while and had no idea how people were getting more until I stopped avoiding monster camps. They each have like 6+ zonaite ores and drop large zonaite, so now I just clean them up in between doing depths stuff and get like 2-3 segments worth of battery each time

I did that for about 2 full batteries before I realized it was way easier to just go beat up bosses and then zoop full battery!

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

maltesh posted:

Arrows are in almost every wooden crate. Almost every Stable has those wooden crates. Every stable has a shrine nearby. Some of them also have a free axe for you, many of them will have an axe blade at the Hudson Stand nearby.

Every time I feel like I'm running low on arrows,, I do a tour of all the stables, and get over a hundred arrows in about ten minutes for free.

I mean *without* doing a tour. I do plenty of tours, and stay afloat, just not playing normally (and I am indeed a crate breaker. The crates will give me like three arrows after a fight I just used twenty).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

Yeah likewise "just do the boss refights ez" but I dunno I've explored at least half of the depths and come across I think one of them? Filling out batteries isn't hard if you make it your goal and grind it out but you don't inevitably get there.

Also I found the explanation for how to upgrade confusing when I came across the robot on tutorial island and immediately forgot about it. I'm trying to learn 10 other systems already, why are you throwing this at me 20 minutes into the game

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Once I realized that some mines held armor pieces and some specific geographical features in groves held special weapons in the Depths I went to every one that I could find on my map along with the Yiga hideouts and more often than not found the medium charges, so I had a decent amount of battery by the time the endgame rolled around and I only think I did one refight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Yeah likewise "just do the boss refights ez" but I dunno I've explored at least half of the depths and come across I think one of them? Filling out batteries isn't hard if you make it your goal and grind it out but you don't inevitably get there.

All the boss refight areas have the same shape on the map. As you're going around lighting up trees you just look around and go "oh there's one there" and go kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I love the house in theory, but the room limit needs to be like twice as high and there should be rooms with windows

I did my floorplan as efficiently as possible with triangle pieces and I basically was able to only get one of each utility room and nothing decorative for outside so it looks like a big bunker