Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They're making an outer worlds sequel so... Maybe that'll be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It wasn't very good but I enjoyed it. I'd have been pretty disappointed if I hadn't been warned it was more like, idk, Kotor than FNV, and I shouldn't hunt the map for a zillion side quests.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just hit 100 hours in Skyrim and I haven't experienced any savebloat. I've never been able to do first person poo poo with a controller very well, and I don't have a console anyway. The current, definitive PC version has been running pretty well on my middle-of-the-road, two year old laptop. My buddy has been warning me about some bugs that have never come up. For example, he said back in the day, the Dawnguard expansion added random vampire attacks inside towns. This would sometimes result in the death of important NPCs, or just NPCs you want to have around. So you could have a vampire show up in Whiterun and just waste the fucken blacksmith. The game would not give these NPCs plot armor or replace them, so if the vampire killed shopkeepers in particular, that town was just hosed. Apparently folks made mods to give NPCs plot armor for these attacks. It hasn't been an issue for me because I haven't had any vampire attacks. I have the Dawnguard content, so this version may have just wisely scooped out the annoying vampire attacks inside towns. :shrug:

I do keep experiencing some... odd behavior on the part of the town guards. Sometimes when I fast travel to a town, there's like ten guards, maybe the whole garrison, all heaped on top of each other, right next to my spawn point. They all just promptly climb off each other and go about their business, but it's weird as hell.

Maybe related to that, sometimes I'll get a glimpse of a guard blazing past me like The Flash just as I spawn into town. Like, she's covering 100 yards in a second. It's as though the game is Dark Helmet playing with dolls in that scene in Spaceballs, and the PC has barged in on them loving around with where the guards are supposed to be and then scrambling to snap them back into place in a split second.

"Did you see anything?"

"No, Todd. I didn't see you playing with your dolls again."

"Good!" :tinfoil:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

my favorite skyrim savebloat story is apparently darksydephil would quicksave so much on his xbox during his playthrough that his one save almost filled up the hard drive or something

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Spaced God posted:

my favorite skyrim savebloat story is apparently darksydephil would quicksave so much on his xbox during his playthrough that his one save almost filled up the hard drive or something

DSP manages to engineer his own mind boggling situations that are somehow always the game's fault. Like the one time, forever embedded in my memory, is when he saw that you switched characters in Code Veronica X and assumed that you never switched back or something so he put all of his weapons on one character and got trapped in a boss fight with no guns, and then had to replay multiple hours of the game complaining about how no one could possibly have foreseen this. He is a glitch of reality.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I loved Outer Worlds, now FO4 and 76 were pure jank.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah I thought TOW was fine. Once I had tempered my expectations, I had a great time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've mixed up Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds so much I still don't know which is which.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Byzantine posted:

I've mixed up Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds so much I still don't know which is which.
:same:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Byzantine posted:

this

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's easy, in Outer Wilds you're flying around in space exploring outer worlds. But in Outer Worlds, you're...also basically doing that? gently caress :negative:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

When I get them confused I just consult this convenient image:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Paper Tiger posted:

Very helpful

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have learned that they're... both PlayStation 4 games. :eng101:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Even the central figure in the outer wilds one is confused by this if the stance says anything

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LookieLoo posted:

You guys make it sound like Bethesda sucks rear end?

Kinda, yeah. Unfortunately nobody else is making games of that type.

LookieLoo posted:

Outer World's has been in the back of my mind for a while now but I think I'll just forget it. Who actually made it? The same team as NV?
Different team in the same company.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zereth posted:

Kinda, yeah. Unfortunately nobody else is making games of that type.

Different team in the same company.
Is Obsidian one of those situations where the company still exists but basically none of the talent from their "classic" catalog that everyone loves is still there?

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Is Obsidian one of those situations where the company still exists but basically none of the talent from their "classic" catalog that everyone loves is still there?

No, a lot of the staff is still there but Outer Worlds and New Vegas have completely different leads in basically every department. And they still make good games. Pentiment rules.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wapole Languray posted:

No, a lot of the staff is still there but Outer Worlds and New Vegas have completely different leads in basically every department. And they still make good games. Pentiment rules.
Ah, then I probably have them confused with another developer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's plenty of those. Lots of which are owned by EA and Microsoft.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In New Vegas, the grenade launcher is the only item in a list that's internally called "Minigun". The minigun is in a different list, called "MinigunForRealzImSeriousGuys". This only comes up when modding the game, but it's hilarious.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dabir posted:

There's plenty of those. Lots of which are owned by EA and Microsoft.

:v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Paper Tiger posted:

if combat there be, in the worlds are ye

if immortality's involved, that's wilds, problem solved

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

want new vegas in space? the outer worlds is your place!

prefer groundhog day more? through the wilds take a tour!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whoooooooo explores a system whose sun's gonna blow?
OUTER WILDS
exploited and talky and time going slow?
THE OUTER WORLDS

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Meowywitch posted:

They're making an outer worlds sequel so... Maybe that'll be better

Outerer Worlds

And if there are vast expanses of rolling green hills, that's Outer Wolds.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Feargus Urquhart

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, that's a pretty :black101: name.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Outer Worlds had the core of a good open-world game in it, but it was dragged down by a million bugs and bad design decisions. Also mediocre writing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Gynovore posted:

Outer Worlds had the core of a good open-world game in it, but it was dragged down by a million bugs and bad design decisions. Also mediocre writing.

it wasn't open world though it was super linear. it felt like playing a demo, as if most of the areas were blocked off for the full game but that would never come.

the bugs were some of the only interesting things going on in the game.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Who cares if the game was perfect when it gave us the modern capitalist anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvANy49Kqhw

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Jul 25, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Not even sure if it's technically a glitch or just weird emergent behaviour, but anyway: I'm playing Stranded: Alien Dawn, which is a neat Rimworld-like. As usual for the genre, you can build a variety of leisure items and structures for your people to enjoy, and one of those is a practice target for them to shoot with ranged weapons. They will decide by themselves from where they shoot it, so those with snipers will do it from further away than those with pistols. The fun part is: They absolutely do not care whether they are indoors or outdoors at the time as long as they can draw a line of sight to the target.

So as a result, occasionally my characters will finish cooking in the kitchen, decide they're bored, and just whip out their gun and start blasting out the window. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chamale posted:

In New Vegas, the grenade launcher is the only item in a list that's internally called "Minigun". The minigun is in a different list, called "MinigunForRealzImSeriousGuys". This only comes up when modding the game, but it's hilarious.

Which grenade launcher? The single shot one, the breechload one, or the actual grenade machinegun? I hope it's the second one :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

haha, we do like to have fun here, but seriously folks, Outer Wilds is incredible, it's like an Escape-The-Room game where the room is a star system and the theme is existential lonesomeness. play it today on all major platforms.

Sentient Data posted:

Who cares if the game was perfect when it gave us the modern capitalist anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvANy49Kqhw

hey i hadnt seen this before and i like it :cheers:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/onlyabidoang/status/1681728951360847872

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Hello my baby, hello my honey...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Arrath posted:

My first action in any bethesda game is player.modav carryweight 9000

Gotta love being able to be a crazy packrat, couldn't do it without console access. And then mods, yeah. Can't live without them.
No console on...console, but FO4 does have mods available. I'm the same way - if you're going to force me to pick up every goddamn tin can and busted fan, you're going to give me the room to do it! Since it's on console, you don't get the super gross sex mods which is nice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hate building and it does a good job towards killing FO4 for me

Especially since the supply boxes don't even connect with each other unless you get a high level perk on a SPECIAL stat that I personally tend to leave at 1

gently caress

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
love will

bows1 posted:

Feargus Urquhart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles