Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Been sayin Ubisoft goes steamworks byebye always on DRM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Tenkaris posted:

When I see 2 used this way, I wish I thought of 2 fast 2 furious, but I don't

I think of

For a minute I was like "is that one movie where they make up a fake amazon tribe" and no that was an entirely different movie

helluva poster though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I saw that movie in theaters. It loving sucked!!!
I feel like I saw a movie in theaters very much like that one but without tim allen.

it also loving sucked!!!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Violen posted:

whats everyone gaming tonight

finished up The Ascent, gonna finish up Expeditions Rome and hopefully start and finish Dreamscaper in the week or so before they leave gamepass.

I’m digging Expeditions Rome a bunch, but probably not enough to justify buying it right now if I don’t finish it.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

TheSwizzler posted:

For a minute I was like "is that one movie where they make up a fake amazon tribe" and no that was an entirely different movie

helluva poster though

oh god I forgot all about this movie, and it was probably the first time I ever saw Natasha Lyonne in anything which is why I am grateful for the memory lapse tbh

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

TheSwizzler posted:

helluva poster though

Did this come out around the same time? Wtf I forgot about this movie until you posted it

Time to go look at a list of all the weird parallel movies that came out at almost the same time about slightly similar plots, as if two studios took the same pitch and made movies at the same time

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like I saw a movie in theaters very much like that one but without tim allen.

it also loving sucked!!!

Jungle 2 Jungle was an American adaption of an equally poo poo French film. I guess it says a lot that this was the kind of crap someone looked at and decided it needed to be repackaged to American audiences.

It did lead to a fun Ebert evisceration at least: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/little-indian-big-city-1996

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

oh god I forgot all about this movie, and it was probably the first time I ever saw Natasha Lyonne in anything which is why I am grateful for the memory lapse tbh

oh no

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuns with Guns posted:

Jungle 2 Jungle was an American adaption of an equally poo poo French film. I guess it says a lot that this was the kind of crap someone looked at and decided it needed to be repackaged to American audiences.

It did lead to a fun Ebert evisceration at least: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/little-indian-big-city-1996
that's the one! what a loving pile of poo poo

the ebert review is good yeah. I love whenever he'd review just the most godforsaken garbage imaginable. his North review is probably the best example of his dumpstering of horrible movies, this quote will live in my brain rent free for all eternity:

quote:

I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it. Hated every simpering stupid vacant audience-insulting moment of it. Hated the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hated the implied insult to the audience by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

roger ebert's best writing came when vincent gallo mocked him for having cancer and ebert told him that chemo was less painful than sitting through the brown bunny

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

roger ebert's best writing came when vincent gallo mocked him for having cancer and ebert told him that chemo was less painful than sitting through the brown bunny

:iceburn:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

roger ebert owned, gently caress cancer

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

There was. They were permabanned for suicidal posting.

I think I see a connecting thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheSwizzler posted:

helluva poster though

sometimes you see a sentence on wikipedia that gives you a lot of insight into the author

quote:

Because Veronica has become sexually involved with him during her participation in his deceit, she assumes the role of a mother toward the children, though she is not explicitly said to marry James.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Tenkaris posted:

Did this come out around the same time? Wtf I forgot about this movie until you posted it

Time to go look at a list of all the weird parallel movies that came out at almost the same time about slightly similar plots, as if two studios took the same pitch and made movies at the same time

i remember deep impact and armageddom coming out at the exact same time as a kid and thought it was weird but the one that always gets me is that priscilla queen of the desert came out exactly one year to the day before to wong foo came out despite the fact that to wong foo started production much much earlier and i wonder if that was a nod to the fact that they got pipped at the post and maybe held back release

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Endorph posted:

sometimes you see a sentence on wikipedia that gives you a lot of insight into the author

That is a weird-rear end way to phrase that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

the ebert review is good yeah. I love whenever he'd review just the most godforsaken garbage imaginable. his North review is probably the best example of his dumpstering of horrible movies, this quote will live in my brain rent free for all eternity:

Is there any Good version of the "modern day fairy tale" concept that North and Book of Henry were going for? ...Elf with Will Farrel?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mycot posted:

Is there any Good version of the "modern day fairy tale" concept that North and Book of Henry were going for? ...Elf with Will Farrel?

in literature, probably Bulgakov’s the master and Margarita comes close, plus it’s a great novel.

but fairy tales were pop culture anyway so all pop culture is pretty much analogous there.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Captain Invictus posted:

Lazy casting, or genius casting?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i remember deep impact and armageddom coming out at the exact same time as a kid and thought it was weird but the one that always gets me is that priscilla queen of the desert came out exactly one year to the day before to wong foo came out despite the fact that to wong foo started production much much earlier and i wonder if that was a nod to the fact that they got pipped at the post and maybe held back release

Not that I recommend going there for any reason but there is a list of examples on TV tropes where they refer to it as Dueling Works, but I didn't see it there. I did find this on a trivia page for Priscilla:

Follow the Leader: To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, which had none of the edge this film had.

drat shots fired

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Been playing Octopath Traveller 2 all weekend and just been going around mugging everyone and picking their pockets, just being a general menace to society.

Game rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

A lot of Pixar movies are pretty much this, Toy Story comes to mind.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

Not that I recommend going there for any reason but there is a list of examples on TV tropes where they refer to it as Dueling Works, but I didn't see it there. I did find this on a trivia page for Priscilla:

Follow the Leader: To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, which had none of the edge this film had.

drat shots fired

it's true

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Been playing Octopath Traveller 2 all weekend and just been going around mugging everyone and picking their pockets, just being a general menace to society.

Game rules.

Right you are, Ibblebibble.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If I'm ever in Kuala Lumpur I'm going there just to try Lord Mountbatten’s Balls.

I didn't know they landed there.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mycot posted:

Shrek

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I think Stardust is supposed to have that vibe and be alright but I haven't actually seen it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I think Stardust is supposed to have that vibe and be alright but I haven't actually seen it.

The Fletcher Hanks comic? It's a lot of things but I don't think it's meant as a fairy tale.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheSwizzler posted:

helluva poster though

Academy award winning actor.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Fletcher Hanks comic? It's a lot of things but I don't think it's meant as a fairy tale.

I meant the Neil Gaiman film

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

mycot posted:

The television series Pushing Daisies comes to mind,
The movie Coraline,
Most of Wes Andersons work?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Game rules.

hell yeah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Haven't seen the movie, but the book was pretty solid.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
God I just love melee I'm getting back into it and I'm having so much fun princess peach Rules such a cool character top tier blorbo. This is getting me back into Rivals as well

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Gallo also took cheap shots at Ebert's weight, to which Ebert had one of his all-timer retorts:

"It is true that I am fat, but one day I will be thin, and he will still be the director of 'The Brown Bunny.'"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Crescent Wrench posted:

Gallo also took cheap shots at Ebert's weight, to which Ebert had one of his all-timer retorts:

"It is true that I am fat, but one day I will be thin, and he will still be the director of 'The Brown Bunny.'"

Vincent Gallo still has that incredibly racist sperm sale ad* from 20 years ago up and as far as I know is still mostly riding the notoriety of brown bunny because who else is going to do anything with him other than as some sort of weird stunt riding his dodgy coattails of notoriety.

*it’s really unpleasant, I don’t recommend looking it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crescent Wrench posted:

Then Roger Ebert gave the recut version of The Brown Bunny a good review and it felt like a victory lap on his part.