Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Something magical has happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Happy Page 2000, thread. I never had the occasion to share this while I was going through the BSF backlog so here it is now as a 2000 page gift.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I can't believe I've read two thousand pages of comics, and some of them were even good?!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Jul 24, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

Couldn't find a good break point here, it's a little longer than usual.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated

Ever been so depressed you just lay down and went to sleep in the snow? Anyway, it seems like tengu can sense possible converts, but let's see what happens.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Has it been long enough for someone to start posting newspaper Spiderman again? That's what got me here in the first place but I caught it near the end.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

CONFUCIUS IN THE BLACK FOREST

THE MAN WHO HATED HIS FOOTPRINTS

THE MAN WHO HATED HIS SHADOW

fool.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kind of like your first cat but without the calming effects of purring.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

This guy visited us several times now, apparently he likes to eat the dead rats or cat leaves for us. Though he prefers the cat food we give him.

Spoilered for dead rat carcass
https://i.imgur.com/iSIC0OX.mp4

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Gertrude Perkins posted:

What the hell, this is the first magic eye I've not been able to get in ages. Is it because of the line in the middle?
Yeah, I don't know what's going on. Normally I can't not see magic eye pictures but this one utterly refuses to work for me, even with the white in the middle removed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

false knees
25JAN2017 - 14FEB2017

beed

false knees
22FEB2017 - 22MAR2017

bah!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

KennyMan666 posted:

Yeah, I don't know what's going on. Normally I can't not see magic eye pictures but this one utterly refuses to work for me, even with the white in the middle removed.

The horrible irony here is that it says "you can do it"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Donald Duck - Ekol's Pendulum

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Quark coming off pretty justified to be honest. Don't these people know how to deal with kids?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love how much euro duck comics love cousin fethry

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

knowing how the book ends has me worried tho :v

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 31

Takako-san chapter 32

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. Do wholesale merchants send people around to restaurants to pitch them on new ingredients and products?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

THE MAN WHO HATED HIS SHADOW

Well, I know what I call it. I call it "selling my labour because it's literally the only way I can survive". But hey, thanks for the story, little wise man.

Might be a controversial opinion, but I bloody hate eastern wisdom. A preistly caste masquerading as wisdom obscuring the emptiness of their philosophy under a big heap of sophistry. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how it was designed to appeal to the masses in ancient China to help people cope with powerlessness in a world of oppression and torture, and that's spot on. But that makes it worse, not better.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Oct 6-13, 1940)

I'm pretty sure the composition/background in the first page's big panel is lifted from a famous painting, I can vaguely picture it but I can't think of the name or the artist off the top of my head.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Emzedoh posted:

Quark coming off pretty justified to be honest. Don't these people know how to deal with kids?

In short and with a thousand year hindsight?

Unfortunately no.

We learned of the development of the brain, for example, on the previous century. In many places children have been little more than miniature, inexperienced adults until very recently.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Fortis posted:

Happy Page 2000, thread. I never had the occasion to share this while I was going through the BSF backlog so here it is now as a 2000 page gift.

Blasphemous Pop Saga Epic

Fagtastic posted:

Well, I know what I call it. I call it "selling my labour because it's literally the only way I can survive". But hey, thanks for the story, little wise man.

Might be a controversial opinion, but I bloody hate eastern wisdom. A preistly caste masquerading as wisdom obscuring the emptiness of their philosophy under a big heap of sophistry. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how it was designed to appeal to the masses in ancient China to help people cope with powerlessness in a world of oppression and torture, and that's spot on. But that makes it worse, not better.
I'm like 50/50 on it for these reasons. There are some tidbits of wisdom that are ageless and still apply, but then there are also the handfuls of "yeah the world is actually in perfect order if you just go with the flow so stop trying to change anything" that have aged extremely poorly

Kill Six Billion Demons
cw: nudity, I think the last bit for the rest of the comic out so far

quote:

Alt: ...

quote:

…!
Alt: Rude awakening

quote:

How… many… how…
Alt: ... many times have we been here, Allison? How many times have you woken up, broken, in a foreign bed? The bed won't always be there, Allison. It's dark and cold, and the lake is silent. Your friends have gone home. Nobody is there anymore.

quote:

… it’s …. calm…
Alt: ... here. It's calm here. The mirror reflects all pain. The Machine stands monumental. It was built over my family's seat of power. It's been hollowed out and filled with gentle repose. Rest, and be warm.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Are you curating these Gunshow comics, or are they somehow all classics?

I am not curating them at all, we're just at the point in the comic's run where KC Green had found his stride and was churning out hits every week.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fagtastic posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…..

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

William Blake posted:

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat.
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp.
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Nael age 6 posted:

The tiger
He destroyed his cage
Yes
YES
The tiger is out

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

the holy poopacy posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions…..

Well yes! Exactly!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CheeseThief posted:

Has it been long enough for someone to start posting newspaper Spiderman again? That's what got me here in the first place but I caught it near the end.

It's been a while, I'd like to see it too. I'm not really set to do a longer posting project myself right now, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the newspaper spiderman thread in the comics forum is reposting it at several different points in its run right now. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845273

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It was funny, when it turned out that Stan Lee was actually an active contributor to the newspaper Spider-man, and not just a name credit.

They promised a replacement comic when Lee died, but I guess newspapers are dead enough that it wasn't worth it. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

It was funny, when it turned out that Stan Lee was actually active contributor to the newspaper Spider-man, and not just a name credit.

They promised a replacement comic when Lee died, but I guess newspapers are dead enough that it wasn't worth it. :(

Yeah and it turned out the rest of the team (who got increasingly large latitude as the strip went on, but were still working with stan until the last couple of years) was a few nobody ghost writers and artists, Alex Saviuk, Joe Sinnott, and Larry Lieber.

Finding that out when the strip ended was a huge suprise, it was like looking behind the curtain and finding out the Wizard of Oz was actually Gandalf.

quote:

Joe Sinnott's son posted this to FB.

quote:

My dad, Joltin’ Joe wants to thank all the fans for their support of the Spidey strip through the years. Now at 92, and working for Marvel for 69 years, Joe can finally say that he is “officially” retired! What a great run, dad. We need to thank the following creators for their work on the Spidey strip during Joe’s incredible 27 year run on the strip: Stan Lee and Roy Thomas, who made this all possible. Letterers Stan Sakai and Janice Chiang, Pencilers Larry Lieber, Ron Frenz, Paul Ryan, Sal Buscema, Fred Kida, and for the past 22 years Alex Saviuk. Also a huge thanks to the inkers that “filled in” for Joe from time to time: Jim Amash, Terry Austin, Bob Wiacek, Mark Sinnott, Belinda Sinnott, Tim Estiloz and Jim Tournas. Thanks for making Spidey look good all these years Dad. I love you, Mark (your son and biggest fan)

Apparently Stan got all his friends in on the strip because it was fun, paid decently, and was not that much work.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jul 24, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fagtastic posted:

Is this unique to eastern philosophy?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

French Philosophers are mostly about excuses to justify who they want to gently caress.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fagtastic posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fagtastic posted:

Might be a controversial opinion, but I bloody hate eastern wisdom.

'Eastern wisdom' can't be an actual thing and still include both Confucius and Zuangzi (see, for example, 'Confucius and the Bandit' from a few days ago).

You may also be interested in Mozi.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tunicate posted:

Yeah and it turned out the rest of the team (who got increasingly large latitude as the strip went on, but were still working with stan until the last couple of years) was a few nobody ghost writers and artists, Alex Saviuk, Joe Sinnott, and Larry Lieber.

Finding that out when the strip ended was a huge suprise, it was like looking behind the curtain and finding out the Wizard of Oz was actually Gandalf.

Apparently Stan got all his friends in on the strip because it was fun, paid decently, and was not that much work.

probably the craziest revelation was

https://twitter.com/usagiguy/status/1110567765734113281

(seems like he wasn't on the strip anymore by the time it ended, Janice Chiang had taken is place by then, but still he was on the strip well into the 00s, possibly early 10s)

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I mean I always had that impression that basically all pre-industrial philosophy is about coping with the difficulty of existing in the world, because existing in a world without industrial technology was loving difficult and painful. When you had a baby you didn't even want to give it a name for a year or so because chances are it wouldn't survive that long and naming it would make you a lot more sad about it when it died from something you didn't even understand.

It's only with the development of the proletariat and working class consciousness that we've ever had an actual logical way forward for humanity that lets us imagine a world that isn't run mostly on pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
As Confucius said: man is just a miserable little pile of secrets.