Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

I lol'd. Excellent work!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Can't see what it says in Dark Mode; try giving the text a border like the :lol: smilie?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajPFWfZu_iQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:perfect:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

:lol: truly outstanding, great job!

Zero VGS posted:

Can't see what it says in Dark Mode; try giving the text a border like the :lol: smilie?

this would be a nice upgrade

CommieGIR posted:

This needs animation. So badly.

weg posted:

This is excellent, the big one could make a good gang tag instead. Especially if it has little animation to it like it's hauling rear end.

funnily enough while ass_burgerer was working on the emote animated version I was working on the gang tag! how's this?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I want a gang tag!

And Moscow is waking up to a drone strike from Ukraine. Obviously Russia is talking about terrorism and how nothing bad happened, drones were shot down dispite a few highrises blowing up yada yada yada.

And this is clearly retaliation by Ukraine for hitting Odessa. It's too bad they could only muster two drones.

Here's CNN but it's all over the news: https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/23/europe/ukraine-russia-drone-attacks-hit-moscow-intl-hnk/index.html

zone
Dec 6, 2016

tiaz posted:

funnily enough while ass_burgerer was working on the emote animated version I was working on the gang tag! how's this?

:perfect:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EasilyConfused posted:

tbf even Willo called bullshit on this one.

Ballshit

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ngl, this thread is pretty rad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Oldsmobile posted:

I want a gang tag!

And Moscow is waking up to a drone strike from Ukraine. Obviously Russia is talking about terrorism and how nothing bad happened, drones were shot down dispite a few highrises blowing up yada yada yada.

And this is clearly retaliation by Ukraine for hitting Odessa. It's too bad they could only muster two drones.

Here's CNN but it's all over the news: https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/23/europe/ukraine-russia-drone-attacks-hit-moscow-intl-hnk/index.html

“Russia claims Ukrainian drone strikes hit two non-residential buildings in Moscow“

What kind of monsters hit non residential buildings

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

hahaha, yes!

tiaz posted:

yeeesssss!!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I want one of those awesome gang tags too. :)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gantag j want!!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Gangtag please...!

(Might be just a tad large though...?)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm also aboard the gang tag train, please

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Cable Guy posted:

Gangtag please...!

(Might be just a tad large though...?)

spot checking it does look like they tend to max out at 180 ... but the full himars starts out at 192 :cry:
I'll see if ~the algorithm~ can do something useful with that

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gangtag please!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

This owns.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Gang Tag! Gang Tag!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A gangtag would be nice! :haw:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Finally, a way to make tankies angry without even talking to them

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1683349977009889281
POCCNR ran into some more bad luck today in Crimea. The Gvardeskoye airfield was struck again, and another location as well.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

tiaz posted:

spot checking it does look like they tend to max out at 180 ... but the full himars starts out at 192 :cry:
I'll see if ~the algorithm~ can do something useful with that

alright, did it again with a downscale to 170 or something, here's a 180px wide. I didn't see any heinous jankiness arise from that scaling but let me know if you do!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

beer_war posted:

People weren't kidding when they said Russian state media urges people to come to Crimea.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1681335580565676038?s=20

"There aren't any problems. Everything is wonderful."
https://twitter.com/StratCom_AFU/status/1675766222720253952

You know the world has truly gone mad when Ukraine and Russia are both advertising Crimean beach vacations but for VERY different reasons.

Russia: Everything is wonderful in Crimea
Ukraine: Stay away from Crimea

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't know how gang tag protocol works but I can request them if someone comes up with a finalized version

I think admins need to go through and approve them

I think sebmojo is our resident admin curator so I might wait for him to give the go-ahead because he'd probably be the one we lean on to approve like 50 gang tags, so someone should send him a PM

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh, I should have checked the thread; I was tinkering with the himars gif in downtime minutes too. Came up with this:

aniviron fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 24, 2023

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
A lot of times someone just buys it as an avatar. Then anyone can use a link to that avatar in their custom title, or a mod can edit it in. So you don't need admin approval, but it would save :fivecbux:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Toxic Mental posted:

I don't know how gang tag protocol works but I can request them if someone comes up with a finalized version

I think admins need to go through and approve them

I think sebmojo is our resident admin curator so I might wait for him to give the go-ahead because he'd probably be the one we lean on to approve like 50 gang tags, so someone should send him a PM

Yep, PM an admin to get it uploaded or a local GBS mod can request it. I think it's a bit too tall at the moment, in general needs to be about the height and width of 180x50 and less than 150kb I think.

Schweinhund posted:

A lot of times someone just buys it as an avatar. Then anyone can use a link to that avatar in their custom title, or a mod can edit it in. So you don't need admin approval, but it would save :fivecbux:

That also works and of course it's a 5bux to the site if you do it yourself.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I like all small himarses :3:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Holy poo poo.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Dwesa posted:

I like all small himarses :3:

AHAB (all himarses are beautiful)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

psilo posted:

AHAB (all himarses are beautiful)

Herman Melville knew :tinfoil:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Warbadger posted:

It wasn't meant to be a more efficient way to put people or satellite payloads into orbit.

It was absolutely meant for that too. All the early materials were breathless about how it was going to launch every day and provide massive, cheap space launch capacity.

It was only after it had launched and it turned out it required a billion dollars to recondition after every launch that it was descoped. However, by that time, it had already killed most of the per-existing launch industry in the US, and this eventually resulted in Arianespace getting most of the commercial market in the west for a few decades.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

tiaz posted:

These both own. Worthy of a gangtag

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I would love a gangtag too please :hellyeah:

So glad that this thread was reincarnated

Set
Oct 30, 2005

tiaz posted:

Aww, it even has the shark mouth!

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Tuna-Fish posted:

It was absolutely meant for that too. All the early materials were breathless about how it was going to launch every day and provide massive, cheap space launch capacity.

It was only after it had launched and it turned out it required a billion dollars to recondition after every launch that it was descoped. However, by that time, it had already killed most of the per-existing launch industry in the US, and this eventually resulted in Arianespace getting most of the commercial market in the west for a few decades.

There's a lot of factors that compromised the shuttle.

NASA studied a number of concepts for a reusable launch vehicle, some of which would be more effective but more expensive to develop. Most concepts would be fully reusable too:

Nixon ended up authorizing the design that would be the cheapest to develop, even though everyone already expected it to be the most expensive in operation.

To secure continuing funding amidst the post-Apollo budget reductions, NASA wanted to make the military a key stakeholder in the project. This added some complicating design requirements. For example, the air force insisted that the vehicle should be able to launch into a polar orbit, deploy a satellite, and then land back at the launch base one orbit later. This means the shuttle needed the capability to steer some 1000 miles to the side when re-entering, as the Earth will have rotated by that amount under your orbital path in the hour it takes to go once around. To be able to do that, the shuttle would need to have much bigger wings that it otherwise would, which dramatically increases the area that needs protecting by a heat shield. This rules out the tried and tested metallic heat shields, which means relying on the fragile tiles that not only led to the loss of Columbia, but were extremely time consuming and expensive to service after each flight.

There's a comprehensive book on the subject available here : https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4221.pdf . It's a case study in feature creep.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I desire a HIMAR tag for the glory of Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
gang tag would be nice, although one with UA flag would be more adequate, I guess?

edit3: ah, it already has small UA flag, cool

edit: last night Russians attacked port city that is right on the Romanian border :wtc:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1683411042330632192

edit2: welcome to xitler or whatever is twitter's new name :shrug:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 24, 2023