Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
that artist is clearly taking the piss out of herself and her works while saying goodbye to the former publication and coworkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

World Famous W posted:

that artist is clearly taking the piss out of herself and her works while saying goodbye to the former publication and coworkers

But she didn't write that explanation on a big label in every panel so how are we supposed to know that <:mad:>

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

DMX? Really? I'm no expert on gangsta rap, but I'm pretty sure he was at his peak in the mid-2000s.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys, it's a tribute to Elon Musk, and the fact that X gonna give it to you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

JamesBont posted:

DMX? Really? I'm no expert on gangsta rap, but I'm pretty sure he was at his peak in the mid-2000s.

Well, he certainly isn't at his peak now.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Seeing people clutching pearls about gangsta rap 30 years later is a treat. Like, I don't claim to be super knowledgeable about the genre, but it seems like every white person over the age of 45 or so got "RAP = HATES WOMEN" rubber stamped onto their brain circa 1995 and haven't spared a single thought about it since.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Like there is some Rap that isn't great about the topic but you can say that about any music genre.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Seeing people clutching pearls about gangsta rap 30 years later is a treat. Like, I don't claim to be super knowledgeable about the genre, but it seems like every white person over the age of 45 or so got "RAP = HATES WOMEN" rubber stamped onto their brain circa 1995 and haven't spared a single thought about it since.

I mean, it's the same crowd who got "CIVIL RIGHTS = BAD FOR ME" stamped into their brains circa 1965 so.....

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hunt11 posted:

Like there is some Rap that isn't great about the topic but you can say that about any music genre.

Yeah. You know the outrage seekers are specifically looking for the songs that confirm their notion of "Look, it's all sexist and glorifies violence" while ignoring the majority of songs that do no such thing.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

the_steve posted:

Yeah. You know the outrage seekers are specifically looking for the songs that confirm their notion of "Look, it's all sexist and glorifies violence" while ignoring the majority of songs that do no such thing.

Imagine how horrified Tom would be to learn that a number of rock and roll songs were about sex and drugs.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

JamesBont posted:

Imagine how horrified Tom would be to learn that a number of rock and roll songs were about sex and drugs.

My rule of thumb when it comes to music is "Always assume the song is about sex, then be pleasantly surprised if it isn't".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Randalor posted:

My rule of thumb when it comes to music is "Always assume the song is about sex, then be pleasantly surprised if it isn't".

That's kind of an outdated boomer mentality because in the 50s and 60s they had to be circumspect, so now they assume that it's still like that even though now if you want to sing about sex and drugs you can just do it outright.
Leads to some real dumb outcomes, like the FCC banning "Rocky Mountain High"
(although I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that "Give it Away" is literally about giving things away)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You guys heard of this “Too Live Crew” the kids are listening to?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's kind of an outdated boomer mentality because in the 50s and 60s they had to be circumspect, so now they assume that it's still like that even though now if you want to sing about sex and drugs you can just do it outright.
Leads to some real dumb outcomes, like the FCC banning "Rocky Mountain High"
(although I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that "Give it Away" is literally about giving things away)

I more just started that rule of thumb because it would annoy the hell out of Mrs Randalor when she would ask me what I thought a song was about on her favorite radio station.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on fears about the Tories dumping green policies – Following Labour’s failure to win in Uxbridge being blamed on the Ulez tax, Rishi Sunak could take note and row back on environmental commitments"

Telegraph:

Keir Starmer says Labour must ‘face up’ to electoral damage of Ulez

Times:

Evening Standard:

Twitter unveils X to replace famous blue bird logo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

I don't normally listen to rap, but the last time I remember hearing about a rap song causing controversy was Lil Nas X's Montero (Call me by your name) and that was just because the video was too gay for Conservatives. Good song, I don't remember it glorifying any criminal activity or degrading women though.

I mean it does if you think being gay should be a crime, which a lot of conservatives do.

Anyway, it was a great song with a great music video, here's a convenient link if anyone wants to listen to it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k&ab_channel=LilNasXVEVO

I like this one, and I'm sad the nib is shutting down. I didn't always enjoy all their comics, but a lot of them were good and it's always a bummer when a bunch of people lose their jobs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

JamesBont posted:

Hey be fair, a bunch of them were also about how badly they wanted to have sex with children.

E: Like, a bunch of them, drat.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

Hey be fair, a bunch of them were also about how badly they wanted to have sex with children.

Yeah, I really want to know what happened in Western culture in the 60s and 70s there with approaching normalizing of pedophilia.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

That's different because that music was popular when they were young so it's just good old fashioned real American fun. Only boring old people like their parents would object to songs about fuckin

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I really want to know what happened in Western culture in the 60s and 70s there with approaching normalizing of pedophilia.

I think there's just something distinctly awful that happens when an unguided rebellious spirit gets absorbed by consumerism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You'll have to wait until next Sinfest Sunday to find out how it was actually because Joe Biden turned 21 and invented pedophilia.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Originally I was going to say that rock was also songs about wanting to have sex with young girls, but they had already listed sex so... :shrug:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

VitalSigns posted:

That's different because that music was popular when they were young so it's just good old fashioned real American fun. Only boring old people like their parents would object to songs about fuckin

This, plus sure, the old rock songs were about coercing 15 year old girls into sex, but at least they were never called bitches and hoes. They did their pedophilia respectfully.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember being young thinking that oldies bands were all, like, high schoolers and that's why they were going to go steady with the homecoming queen and celebrating being sixteen and stuff. I miss that innocent mindset.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Brawnfire posted:

I remember being young thinking that oldies bands were all, like, high schoolers and that's why they were going to go steady with the homecoming queen and celebrating being sixteen and stuff. I miss that innocent mindset.

To be fair, you can write for teenagers without being a teenager. YA literature, for example, is full of great stuff not written by pedos.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

True. Then there's really confusing ones like "Go Away Little Girl" which... the loving lyrics... But Donny Osmond was thirteen when he sang it.

I think it's also just particularly hard to get away with "little girl" as a term of endearment.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It was the interval between the old moral code being broken down and the establishment of a new code based on consent first and foremost (circa the 90s).

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Xander77 posted:

It was the interval between the old moral code being broken down and the establishment of a new code based on consent first and foremost (circa the 90s).

Which, the right is still mad about the concept of consent. Often, when it's brought up, I'm reminded of that thing Matt Walsh did where he played a stock scream every time the word "consent" was used.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Which, the right is still mad about the concept of consent. Often, when it's brought up, I'm reminded of that thing Matt Walsh did where he played a stock scream every time the word "consent" was used.
It's also why a lot of middle-aged (well, septegenerian now) men went with "I didn't leave the left, the left left me".

Edit - in unrelated news, guess who is still around and still making cartoons?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 24, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It's actually quite beautiful in it's own way, just doing away with the old, family unit reproduction and inheritance based sexual morality and doing whatever felt right instead. It had some bad results though, because people are not always nice to each other, and don't always understand things the same way as their victims.
But yeah, consent between equal adults is actually a super good code in my opinion (disregarding the can of worms that is children's sexuality).

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Vib Rib posted:

Shut up wokescold, you're distracting me from this interview with Ted Nugent about how all Democrats are either pedophiles or support institutional pedophilia.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Knight:

Australia retains the Ashes after the fourth Tests ends in a draw as rain stops the last days of play.

Wilcox:

Le Lievre:

Spooner:

I don't think Chris Bowen has made any big announcements in the last couple of weeks, he's just always there in Spooner's mind.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 24, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Christ, I wish.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Lub as a tweeter (or is it "an x-er", now given Elon's deranged rebranding of Twitter as X?) more than as a cartoonist:

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1683234556797755395

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The Punic Wars, at least.

This is just the most recent regression.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-01-23-ancient-carthaginians-really-did-sacrifice-their-children

quote:

Ancient Carthaginians really did sacrifice their children

After decades of scholarship denying that the Carthaginians sacrificed their children, new research has found 'overwhelming' evidence that this ancient civilisation really did carry out the practice.

A collaborative paper by academics from institutions across the globe, including Oxford University, suggests that Carthaginian parents ritually sacrificed young children as an offering to the gods.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Randall Enos - Oh Buoy

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

I really enjoy that foot being right in his eye.

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

Mike Thompson

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Goddammit stop depicting war as an anthropomorphic figure like this. Wars don't just happen for no drat reason. They are not acts of God. Intentionally or not, it downplays the responsibility of politicians and other assorted demagogues that are actually causing wars.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I really don't like this one, it's almost incomprehensible but worse, it makes it seem like the Fifth Amendment is a bad thing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I really don't like this one, it's almost incomprehensible but worse, it makes it seem like the Fifth Amendment is a bad thing.

Yeah, it easily moves into the "If they did nothing wrong, they should have nothing to hide :smuggo:" logic they usually use when Good people plead the 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that's one tortured metaphor