Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Moira literally can't do anything to stop Mercy from rezzing. It's incredibly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Moira literally can't do anything to stop Mercy from rezzing. It's incredibly frustrating.

I mean that kinda makes sense. Moira is a selfish hero that can heal and teleport herself away, sometimes even gaining height and stuff. So her not having a stun, yeah fair.

Hashy posted:

There isn't a hero that cant obliterate a mercy on command with 80% accuracy

The critique is that Mercy has to have 0% accuracy to be effective, and game changing, while the others have to have accuracy, and consistent accuracy. 100% accuracy with shots 5 seconds apart does nothing.

I think the mention above from someone that just having so much healing is probably the root cause of so many of the frustration and struggles.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the issue isn't really that it's mercy healing a target. the issue is the relationship between how healing and damage works in general in overwatch.

it's a similar outcome whether it's ana or moira or baptiste pocket healing the zen

healing being so powerful you can overpower 100% shot accuracy over like 5-7 seconds on a squishy target in the open is certainly unique to overwatch, but it will be its downfall

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 24, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Opioid posted:

Why not… kill the healer?

Sure lemme walk through the other four members of their team and do that.

That poo poo only really gets done at top end and even they find it hard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

healing being so powerful you can overpower 100% shot accuracy over like 5-7 seconds on a squishy target in the open is certainly unique to overwatch, but it will be its downfall

yeah, the central problem is that perceived input does not match perceived output in a satisfying way the majority of the time. getting kills in OW2 often feels like rolling a random TF2 crit, assuming that you aren't randomly fragging people going on weird solo flanking missions

it creates a negative feedback loop on both ends: playing DPS isn't as fun because all the accurate shooting in the world feels meaningless most of the time due to overwhelming healing, while playing support is unbelievably stressful due to the huge consequences you dying has on your team's ability to stay afloat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Javik the Seer posted:

I mean that kinda makes sense. Moira is a selfish hero that can heal and teleport herself away, sometimes even gaining height and stuff. So her not having a stun, yeah fair.

It's not about not having stun.
Moira has the lowest DPS out of all the characters and she and Winston are the only characters that don't have any way of stopping a Mercy from rezzing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't think Moira should be able to interrupt Rez, that seems fine.

A big fuckin munky landing on her head should tho

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i throughly support a power creep arms race between moira and mercy aka the two lowest skill ceiling characters in the whole game because it would mean bronze matches would be even more hilariously dumb than they are now

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't think Moira should be able to interrupt Rez, that seems fine.

A big fuckin munky landing on her head should tho

I'm hearing here that Winston should have stun on his landing and honestly i'm all for it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just want the 6v6 to come back and no set loving roles. Like maybe no one wants to play as a tank or everyone wants to be a tank, it shouldn't matter!

Making overwatch esports ruined overwatch. Could’ve been a fun game but they wanted esports.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dogstile posted:

I'm hearing here that Winston should have stun on his landing and honestly i'm all for it.

Concussive Missile grade knock back imo.

With a stun if you land directly on a non-tank target

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
No more stuns plz they suck!!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah stuns are healthy and i truly do miss a time where you had more than like, two options to stop a nanoblade.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

lol this doesn't happen

Please go ahead and show some videos of a DPS landing 100% of their shots for 7 seconds on a squishy who is being healed and them not dying

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't touched the game in months because it just keeps getting worse and worse every patch and I was annoyed instead of having any fun at all with it.

Me and my friends jumped over to Omega Strikers instead. It's not an FPS but it scratches the same itch as OW used to with team-based gameplay of varied interesting characters without a big focus on high APM (like the MOBAs), that our friend group can play together.
And the matchmaking isn't loving infuriating like it is in OW2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Double post

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I seriously have never seen worse matchmaking than OW2's current one.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Codependent Poster posted:

lol this doesn't happen

Please go ahead and show some videos of a DPS landing 100% of their shots on a squishy who is being healed and them not dying

They won't be able to because it doesn't happen. You either hit enough shots to kill them fast enough, or you don't which means they get healed. The only exception recently was that wonky mercy does 50%+ more healing under 50% health, and she still had to be actively healing them before they started to receive any amount of damage, unless it was a tank/beefy target.

If a solid dps is hitting someone, consistently, they will die, no amount of direct healing can change that. Even Moria's massive HPS (orb + piss) isn't going to stop two hanzo arrows, junk wombo combo, echo beam+gunk.

Nothing short of a live saving cooldown will prevent their deaths.

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't touched the game in months because it just keeps getting worse and worse every patch and I was annoyed instead of having any fun at all with it.

Me and my friends jumped over to Omega Strikers instead. It's not an FPS but it scratches the same itch as OW used to with team-based gameplay of varied interesting characters without a big focus on high APM (like the MOBAs), that our friend group can play together.
And the matchmaking isn't loving infuriating like it is in OW2.

Jack Trades posted:

I seriously have never seen worse matchmaking than OW2's current one.

Of a game you're not playing?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Of a game you're not playing?

I played until a bit into the Liveweaver season and then a couple of matches at the start of this season and it's only gotten worse.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's not like it happens in a vacuum. When people are hitting 100% of their shots the other person is diving in and out of cover, the problem is that healing is so fast that literally a second in cover is enough to nullify what you just hit.

I just came off a game where I was hitting the vast majority of my shots. We won, I outdamaged most of the lobby, it still feels kinda unsatisfying knowing that the only reason the other team died was because I had someone attached to me holding left click and they had a bap trying to do the same thing but getting hosed by sheer virtue of hit character not being as easy to use as "left click and hide in cover".

There's almost no reason to call out "x is low" because by the time you actually dive them, they're full. Even if you call and they immediately dive, the travel time is long enough for a full heal to happen. That's kinda silly.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m no game designer, so I couldn’t tell you exactly what’s wrong other than Overwatch isn’t fun and has been on the decline since role queue. I understand it’s too late to make big changes but I don’t know what you do.

Make a super support like you have a super tank already and replace one of the supports with dps?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah lets just continue with the sunk cost fallacy of role queue despite the game dropping off continually. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hire me blizzard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

Nah lets just continue with the sunk cost fallacy of role queue despite the game dropping off continually. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hire me blizzard.

Jack Trades posted:

But don't worry, considering the direction current OW team is taking, it won't be long until every character is just Soldier 74, so the people that just want to play CoD but with more fuckable characters will get what they want soon enough.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i hope anyone that genuinely thinks soldier 76 is fuckable is in long term therapy

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i hope anyone that genuinely thinks soldier 76 is fuckable is in long term therapy

I thought they were called GILF fuckers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but that's a lot of people.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

There's a whole generation of early 20's women who'd have to be in therapy here. Especially in his grillmaster skin.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol this doesn't happen

Please go ahead and show some videos of a DPS landing 100% of their shots for 7 seconds on a squishy who is being healed and them not dying
in my example scenario i was ana shooting a zen + mercy pocket with 100% accuracy in the ow2 beta

200/(93.75-55)= 5.2 seconds

you can achieve similar scenarios with soldier ultimate + damage falloff + no cover + any strong healer pocket

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

and if you are a soldier who lands say 100% of your close range bodyshots on someone being pocketed by mercy + ana regular unboosted shots, you simply can't kill them

it's why 4v5s w/o ults and especially 3v5s can be basically unwinnable, which makes the game a lot more stale

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So you were actually a support who couldn't kill another support who was getting pocketed. You weren't a DPS at all. But you were Ana and you didn't use your nade to cancel out that healing?

And for your Soldier example, you're talking about someone getting pocketed by two healers and not being able to kill them. So again, that's not what you said.

Again, if you're a DPS and you're landing 100% of your shots for 7 seconds, you are going to kill a squishy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

lol this doesn't happen

trance and/or lucio ult, especially if the dps is a soldier ult

e: lol

I got silver 5 on support even though I lost way more games than I won, and bronze 2 on DPS even though I won more games than I lost. Granted I know I'm not a very good DPS and belong in the silver/gold tier at best, but it was weird since I was getting a lot of eliminations and damage. I also felt like I wasn't doing as well with heals or staying alive as a support.

This ranking stuff is weird.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
I dunno there's a lot of negativity in this thread, like weird hyper-over analysis. Game's got problems yeah but I still love it. r/aita?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

im depressed lol posted:

I dunno there's a lot of negativity in this thread, like weird hyper-over analysis. Game's got problems yeah but I still love it. r/aita?

several of the people hyper over analyzing played the game at an extremely high level, which incidentally is the level the game just completely falls apart at.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
yea you cant take the game seriously anymore, just qp in comp and dgaf about losing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's definitely not hyper over-analysis when they're doing it. It's just an honest read from the perspective of people who used to play at a serious level.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Oh I believe super-high level players have valid criticisms, but man I read the last hundred posts and I got that kinda gut-sinking feeling like "god drat it, am I going to have to learn a new game?"

Like, I peaked mid-masters Season 4-5 in OW1 and pretty much solely play quickplay nowadays because of how weird and blame-gamey people in comms get, lost in their 'ladder-climb, my number gotta go up!' mindsets, maybe due to their ego's denying their own mistakes and poo poo.

I just like to pew pew with the boys :(

Edit: Yeah "hyper-overanalysis" was poor phrasing. But ah whatever.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 25, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

trance and/or lucio ult, especially if the dps is a soldier ult

e: lol

lol did you really read through my post history to find a post from... 9 months ago to try and prove something? I'm a lot better than I was even though I'm old and have zero mechanical skill, and even climbed ranks! That doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

I bet you're one of those people who are like "you can't coach/commentate if you never played in the pros"

Anyway people keep coming up with moving goalposts to try and defend some insane hyperbolic statement so there's no point in continuing to talk about it.

Mystery Heroes still remains the best mode.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Like the McCassidy nade is trash, but I make clips like this and make my friends laugh.

"S-tier got'em"

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1673863058937053184

I just am actually getting a little concerned the ship isn't gonna get course-corrected and there will be this echo-chamber/deathspiral of "OVERWATCH 2 BAD" and like... what the gently caress am I gonna play? Vermintide 2 until the day I die?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

several of the people hyper over analyzing played the game at an extremely high level, which incidentally is the level the game just completely falls apart at.

even at the low end, scenarios where you visibly see yourself doing nonstop accurate damage and getting zero eliminations or finding any purchase that allows your team to advance is unbelievably frustrating from a gameplay perspective. you certainly can go HAM as genji with dragonblade, but that still means you're spending a whole lot of the game bouncing around like a stuntman on a trampoline hurling cardboard shurikens at people

i think it's important to emphasize that even MOBAs generally do not follow this kind of gameplay loop anymore: if you trade well in lane in league, then you will gain a tangible pressure advantage, and if you poke sufficiently before an objective then you can get that objective entirely for free without ever having to fight. system healing and pure healer champs are such rarities that you have to treat your HP seriously or risk being put into lethal, a situation that is almost entirely absent from OW2 if you are not actively running off into the open a million yards away from your team. it ends up creating a high skill war of attrition, which is, for me, both wearying and unrewarding

im depressed lol posted:

Oh I believe super-high level players have valid criticisms, but man I read the last hundred posts and I got that kinda gut-sinking feeling like "god drat it, am I going to have to learn a new game?"

i don't think it's too late for them to turn the ship around, and even some modest updates and a consistent content stream is likely enough to keep the game going well into the future if its current style of gameplay happens to be your jam. i just personally find it tedious in the same way i found it tedious when league's system healing got so wildly out of control that nothing you did to anyone ever stuck, and while riot was smart enough to extricate the game from that state, i'm not entirely sure the OW2 team is up to the task, a situation i find disappointing given how much i otherwise enjoy the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i dont think skill level really factors in as much. anyone at any skill level is going to eventually hit a disgusting series of shots or plays at their rank and then have it be rebuffed often unceremoniously and frustratingly by the game's core design. i've watched some of emongg casting bronze replays, and one of his bingo card slots is fights lasting forever.

having too little feedback or reward on shooting things is a big problem. it's why the overwatch team felt they had to do something about getting rid of double barriers....years later after many complaints.