Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

There Bias Two posted:

This page actually reminded me of the art style of Tails Gets Trolled.

How did the comic end up like this? I'm so confused. How does an artist's apparent skill decline to this point?
I think the degrading and roughness in the last few panels is supposed to be stylistic, like him coming apart as the realization and grief crashes over him, losing his humanity as he gets closer to being whatever he was before Jerrek. Kind of like how Annie got increasingly cartoonish during The Tree to represent dissociation.

It's just... ugly. We don't care about Jerrek like we cared about Annie, and the art in the comic has kind of gone downhill in general lately like coolusername pointed out. So, it doesn't look or feel nearly as deliberate as it's intended to.

I'm fine with the art quality dropping - my dude is having or had a baby, yet still manages to pump these out on a perfect thrice-weekly schedule, it would be weirder if it DIDN'T change - but when it dovetails with the writing going so south in really unpleasant ways, even tainting once-beloved characters, it's harder to feel as charitable, I think.

Randalor posted:

It really feels like there's at least one story that Tom wrote, but never made it to the comic, but he thought it saw the light of day. Lana's had all of, what, 3 major appearances in the comic, and just kinda hung out in the background the rest of the time
Coming soon to Gunnerkrigg side comics: The One Where Lana Gets A Compelling Character Arc And Actually Exists As A Person Independent From Her Love Interest

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dammerung posted:

An angry face! The angriest face!
Oh that's a much better thing to remember. I'm going to remember that for a while instead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Image as thread title etc

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

How did the comic end up like this? I'm so confused. How does an artist's apparent skill decline to this point?

I've said this before, but it doesn't have to be anything more complex than burnout. Imagine trying to maintain investment and creative momentum on a project for almost two decades. Hell, I'm lucky if I can focus on one thing for a few weeks at a time before I get sick of it!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I know it's a bit of a "closing the barn door after the horses got out", but I kinda wished he would go to a less-set schedule, especially after his baby was born. Look at Order of the Stick, where Rich Burlew had to go to a less pressing schedule for health reasons. Sure, he may only update once every few weeks/months, but his comics overall are much better written/drawn (fight me), and overall tend to be much more polished in every regard.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

Guess what page the angry face is from. Guess what Tom felt a need to remind us of here.

I don't know, what page?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Our three memories of Lana: fleeing a train, sitting in an apartment, and having an extremely uncomfortable encounter with equally uncomfortable ethnic analogues.

RIP

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Our three memories of Lana: fleeing a train, sitting in an apartment, and having an extremely uncomfortable encounter with equally uncomfortable ethnic analogues.

RIP

The fourth memory is her getting nommed by Coyote. I will admit I did like the panel a few pages back where she's saying "Hello there!".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know, what page?

Pants Donkey posted:

RIP
Guess

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

RIP

i think this summarizes her impact as a character very well.

e: she is not even mentioned on loup's page.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's kind of funny that Loup isn't even mentioned in the "cast" section of the site, let alone Jerrek or Lana. Though I guess Tony isn't on there either so it's just kind of a forgotten section of the site lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A cast page that never gets updated is the free space in webcomic bingo.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bongo Bill posted:

A cast page that never gets updated is the free space in webcomic bingo.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Splicer posted:

Reynard is me. "Oh I'm supposed to feel emotions about all of this Jerrek bullshit. Uh. Hard beans my man"

Lmao this.

I think the one positive of Lana not being fleshed out as a character is that I care less about her getting so obviously fridged.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

This is all I could think of when I read today's update:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

We've sailed past regular British to Mustachioed Colonel at the Club after a Round of Snooker

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I had a dream about Gunnerkrigg Court where Annie, Kat, and several others went to a place where the ether was blurring with reality and thoughts and imaginations were immediately becoming reality. They all joined together to daydream about if Tony wasn't such a terrible dad, and a Better Tony came out of the haze of the ether and told Annie he loved her. I'm choosing to imagine this was canon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Splicer posted:

Also lol at his memories of Lana. Hey remember when she was wearing a tracksuit and made an anime face in a white void? And the time she made an anime face while wearing a tracksuit in a white void? Or that one time she was in a white void and made an anime face while wearing a tracksuit. Ah good times. What memorable moment will we use for the murder eyes panel? Oh yes, what about that time she made an anime blushing face while wearing tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt in a gradient void. God I miss her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's kind of funny that Loup isn't even mentioned in the "cast" section of the site, let alone Jerrek or Lana. Though I guess Tony isn't on there either so it's just kind of a forgotten section of the site lol

I dunno how that works for GK but cast pages I've seen usually just introduce the important starting characters and give like introductory info for people just starting the comic. Even saying Loup exists or that Tony is active in the comic (well he used to be) could be a spoiler.

So there's an argument for not keeping it super up to date anyways. Comics probably don't need them though since any function they serve could probably be best served with a Wiki which you go in expecting spoilers anyways.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I really don't want to believe that Lana is just forever dead.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Riot Bus posted:

With how disjointed everything is, it's equally likely that one of the following will happen:

-She's dead forever.
-She'll come back to life as if nothing happened. Maybe via Kat's intervention or Coyote didn't actually kill her somehow.
-She doesn't come back because she's actually Coyote.

And none of it will have any impact. Because there's no lead up to anything, poo poo just happens and it's whatever.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 25, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It felt way too abrupt and with zero fanfare to me to be an actual death scene, especially with Gunnerkrigg's love of mixing myth/folklore and stuff like Red Riding Hood where the wolf's belly is cut open to reveal a girl unharmed. And the long-standing issue of "Annie needs to stab Coyote and kill him, but still doesn't have a great reason to do that".

But this comic has made me say things to the effect of "this narratively makes zero loving sense and would be an obviously terrible idea if it was played straight, so it definitely won't end like that" multiple times now, just for it to end Like That, so honestly all bets are off the table at this point

Also god please compare this (and the next few pages):

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2491

To this (and the next few pages):

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2808

How do you ruin such a good loving character with such inimitable presence

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Riot Bus posted:

Coyote ate her in one bite, and has stayed large since then, so there's a non-zero chance Annie or Jerrek are going to cut Coyote's stomach open to free her.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Ah man they are gonna use the tooth to cut open Loup/Coyote and save Lana aren't they.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Coyote dying so Lana can live is the worst possible outcome so of course that'll be what happens.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Skippy McPants posted:

Coyote dying so Lana can live is the worst possible outcome so of course that'll be what happens.

he truly did become the goose wife

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The only thing more stripping Annie of the last scraps of story agency would be if she’s unable to go through with it so Jerrek does it for her, choosing Lana over Coyote’s power in a romantic scene while she stands there going :o

Therefore that’s my bet.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thing I noticed on a reread:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1831

Kat points out that Surma wasn't pressured into helping Jeanne, but Annie was, despite her intensely young age. "There must be something about you that they really want."

I wonder what this was referring to and if it will literally ever be addressed because this was 6 years ago and Tom has since decided to put the story beats on fast forward while slowly writing Annie out of relevance.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

aata just sprouting himself into the stopped time was such a cool moment for a character that had been getting a lot of quiet build

and then he just walked off the script.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Tiny Myers posted:

Kat points out that Surma wasn't pressured into helping Jeanne, but Annie was, despite her intensely young age. "There must be something about you that they really want."

I wonder what this was referring to and if it will literally ever be addressed because this was 6 years ago and Tom has since decided to put the story beats on fast forward while slowly writing Annie out of relevance.

I really do wonder when psychopomp stuff will come up again. It's been a long time, narratively. Like l people have guessed before, it probably has something to do with the New People needing a guide. But that does imply even more time loopy stuff.

Maybe because the Fates are also psychopomps, or at least death adjacent, the others know through them.

Also, yeah, re: the Lana stuff, y'all are probably right that it's going up be a red riding hood sort of thing. I do like Lana so I don't want her to be dead so abruptly. In general, I like the robots plotline a lot, so that gives her character a boost for me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't hate Lana, I just hate how much of the plot hinges on her existence while not actually giving her screen time to develop.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

It's probably related to how Annie was fated to die, but did not in this timeline. That seems like the most obvious reason psychopomps would be interested in Annie to me at least.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Riot Bus posted:

I really do wonder when psychopomp stuff will come up again.

sounds like that requires annie mattering in her own comic so don't hold your breath

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Randalor posted:

I don't hate Gunnerkrigg, I just hate how much of the plot hinges on [blank] while not actually giving [blank] time to develop.

ftfy

I did wanna get to know Lana better, and Jerrek too tbh. Annie and Kat have been pretty charmless for the last however long, so it was nice to have new protagonists for a bit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There was supposed to be an element of Loup dangling the prospect of lifting Annie's obligations to the psychopomps, so one expected a resolution where Annie successfully wrangles this reward whilst wriggling out of the meat of whatever Loup demanded (which was hinted to be ultimately pretty creepy)

Presumably involving Two Annies for maximal karmic backlash (since Loup splits Annie at the end of that exchange out of pettiness)

I wonder if this was really intended at any point and then dropped; Loup's offer is never brought up again. By c81 it seems forgotten.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
In the good timeline this comic took a year hiatus and came back good, or wrapped up at two annies with a different ending, rather than swamp crawling to the finish line :(

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Randalor posted:

I don't hate Lana, I just hate how much of the plot hinges on her existence while not actually giving her screen time to develop.

well yeah, how could you hate the contents of your fridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
If she is saved somehow, which still seems likely, it's not really a fridging. If she isn't, some months from now, I guess I can re-evaluate this assessment.