Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Atopian posted:

I've noticed that strength is slow to train, while medical/mechanical/explosives are fast.

Has anyone looked into this enough to figure out the ratios?

It depends on the leadership of the trainer and how large the gap is between the teacher and student’s <stat being trained> afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Huh, finally had my first crash.
I'm going to chalk it up to my deathblob of 20 mercs and heavy rain. But mostly blaming the heavy rain.

I wish night would look a touch more nightish.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't have a single crash during my playthrough. Few times I had that account.dat popup error.

As we've learned lately this is not a given with new game releases. So kudos to the devs.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

TeaJay posted:

I didn't have a single crash during my playthrough. Few times I had that account.dat popup error.

As we've learned lately this is not a given with new game releases. So kudos to the devs.
Same here, and the times I did get a .dat popup error was because I was savescumming a militia autoresolve. Heavy rain does seem to cause quite a bit of lag though, but only when I've got a merc with super high movement like Mouse selected which is strange.

Edit: Well, that and there were like 20 goons + militia involved, thanks a lot Smiley

Exodee fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Do we know if its intentional that there are two recipes for chemical mortars but none for standard mortars is correct or a glitch?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Croccers posted:

Huh, finally had my first crash.
I'm going to chalk it up to my deathblob of 20 mercs and heavy rain. But mostly blaming the heavy rain.

I wish night would look a touch more nightish.

Also had a first crash after the patch in heavy rain. I think a few of the options like bloom/eye adaptation can make night look less or more hosed too. It's videogame 'dark' on my machine which is about as dark as I see night in game that aren't ARMA/Stalker mods or the like.

I'm really surprised at how many unique interjections there are for mercenaries and mercenary pairs in one off quest conversations with NPCs and in general. Having MD on certain medical related quest chains vs. the other medical skilled mercs is pretty different.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is there a general sense of what the "expected" game progress route is?

I took Ernie island, went north to the mine and took that, took Pantagruel and Fleatown, then had the Biff call event, saved him, and now I'm getting a call to meet at the Refugee Camp. I gather that the Refugee Camp call is a turning point and may ramp up the difficulty? I haven't even explored more than half the map, but my squad has been finding all the recent fights easy (even the Biff waves of attacks, so I'm not sure if the Camp event is expected to hit around this point? Or should I defer it and take my time doing other things?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Is there any way to just fail the campaign entirely by ignoring all the comms and the camp event? That's about as far as I've made it in the game and it feels like the devs made it specifically to ruin your entire campaign progress and kill off your team by surprise for the lulz.

Not even sure how you are supposed to do that betrayal event without just sacrificing some random squad with a single merc into the meat grinder. Retreat from the sector as soon as combat begins?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

piratepilates posted:

I took Ernie island, went north to the mine and took that, took Pantagruel and Fleatown, then had the Biff call event, saved him, and now I'm getting a call to meet at the Refugee Camp. I gather that the Refugee Camp call is a turning point and may ramp up the difficulty? I haven't even explored more than half the map, but my squad has been finding all the recent fights easy (even the Biff waves of attacks, so I'm not sure if the Camp event is expected to hit around this point? Or should I defer it and take my time doing other things?

That's about the time when you should be able to handle it. The refugee camp event triggers a counterattack on all your liberated towns, so it might actually be beneficial to trigger it sooner rather than later. It will also start spawning enemies with better equipment.

Just make sure you enter the camp rested and ready for combat.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

piratepilates posted:

It really looks like you can go most places in various orders as long as you can fund it. You can start at Pantagruel, Fleatown, Port Cacao, or go right through to some of the eastern parts if you really want to. Pretty sure there are multiple triggers for the 'game state' events (time, getting near certain places, maybe progress on certain quests? not entirely sure)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Is there any way to just fail the campaign entirely by ignoring all the comms and the camp event? That's about as far as I've made it in the game and it feels like the devs made it specifically to ruin your entire campaign progress and kill off your team by surprise for the lulz.

Not even sure how you are supposed to do that betrayal event without just sacrificing some random squad with a single merc into the meat grinder. Retreat from the sector as soon as combat begins?

I didn't seem to have a retreat option on that battle

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there any reason to use handguns beyond Ernie Island? currently have dual pistols and an AK on Meltdown, figured the accuracy perks she has would be fine but for the most part only have pistols for alt loadouts where the other hand is holding an explosive.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

I didn't seem to have a retreat option on that battle

like there wasn't the edge of the map you could run to? Also with a properly equipped double squad, you should be able to kill everyone there, especially with heavy weapons.

DLC Inc posted:

is there any reason to use handguns beyond Ernie Island? currently have dual pistols and an AK on Meltdown, figured the accuracy perks she has would be fine but for the most part only have pistols for alt loadouts where the other hand is holding an explosive.

No. Not at all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
E: poo poo wrong thread lol

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 24, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Not to revive tire chat but I went ahead and ordered some Cosmo Muchomacho all seasons for my P2. Found a promotion online to bring them down under $90 / tire so I figured what the hell, I'll give them a try and see how they stack up against some of the more established brands. Will report back when I get them installed next week.

What?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Muchomacho!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clearly customizing his ice cream truck

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Not to revive tire chat but I went ahead and ordered some Cosmo Muchomacho all seasons for my P2. Found a promotion online to bring them down under $90 / tire so I figured what the hell, I'll give them a try and see how they stack up against some of the more established brands. Will report back when I get them installed next week.

So let me get this straight.......

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DLC Inc posted:

Yep. They are mostly for ammo conservation/sidearm use until you get some of the better ones. Then you can combine them with ambidextrous mercs in some builds that make them a lot better. An overwatch/interrupt/crit perk build of some kind makes them fairly crazy. Higher tier pistols tend to be a lot of damage at closeish range with high crit chance. And I think

Vicki also probably does better damage dual wielding multishot pistols of some sort than anything else with her special talent. Also special ammo types make pistols a lot more useful. E.g. 9mm armor piercing ammo removes the biggest weakness of the standard round.

Cuttlefush fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 24, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Never tried, but if you dual wield SMGs do they fire bursts or still single?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Dandywalken posted:

Never tried, but if you dual wield SMGs do they fire bursts or still single?

might be misremembering but im pretty sure it's still bursts. at least glock 18s are bursts. uzis might only burst with the on the move ability

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd really like to find a way to make rawhide kobayashi work. but dual wielding isn't great, and is even worse with semi-auto pistols.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

might be misremembering but im pretty sure it's still bursts. at least glock 18s are bursts. uzis might only burst with the on the move ability

Uzis burst, too, but they aren't all that great imo. I'm assuming you would also need to have both the Ambidextrous and Auto Weapons traits to negate all of the penalties, and I don't think there are any 1-handed SMGs that are worth using by the middle of the game. (Personally I only found the one Glock 18 that you have to buy, so I never had a chance to try dual wielding with them.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

I took the southern mine first and just managed to get the northern one before the first one was depleted. That was quite a pain in the rear end but luckily I just found a suppressed rifle so was able to take out a decent amount of enemies without triggering everyone.

And now the moment I'm done with that, I got the request for rescue, I guess it was Biff? In the very north of the map? It would take me at least 3 days to get there and I'd have to fight through some occupied sectors. Does anything happen if I don't get there in time?

DLC Inc posted:

I tend to keep one quipped as a sidearm, I recall in JA2 it could be faster to pull out than reloading sometimes, of if you run out of primary ammo. Maybe with some upgrades they could be useful on their own but I didn't get there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So I was looking over the JA3 spreadsheet after beating the game and it looks like I missed 2 unique weapons: The Hired Gun(AR) and Confidante(rifle). Can anyone tell me where those were located or what quests they were from?

e: never found an M82 rifle either.

And I also just realized I never found a G36 either. I am starting to not like this random loot system. Missing unique weapons I can understand. But stuff like the M82 and G36 really makes me wonder why there aren't at least one or some guaranteed weapon locations for each weapon in the game.

Looking at the spreadsheet I don't think that the G36 would likely be better than the AR-15 anyways, unless it also has a monster crit stat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 24, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

mobby_6kl posted:

I tend to keep one quipped as a sidearm, I recall in JA2 it could be faster to pull out than reloading sometimes, of if you run out of primary ammo. Maybe with some upgrades they could be useful on their own but I didn't get there.

They are also useful for shooting landmines and explosive barrels for less AP than a rifle if a bunch of enemies are crowded around one. With the scoundrel trait you can swap to pistol for free.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

G36 gets the point blank bonus unlike other ARs but yeah, Im in the same boat regarding random drops. I found one G36 in the last map sector with two M82s, never before then lol

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

For hard fights explosives are your friend. especially if the enemies locations are known ahead of time. consider placing remote C4 next to the enemies before you initiate the fight then blowing it to start. if you have any RPGs, they are a great way to start the fight. otherwise, feel free to liberally use grenades on any clusters of them. Make sure you move your mercs though, if you stay clustered, they will grenade you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

40mms in general are pretty absurd. Their accuracy and that of RPGs at long range/blindfiring out of sight should PROBABLY be looked at at some point.

Even underslung 40mm you can fire twice a turn for ~80 damage on average Id say

Mortars in contrast... kind of suck? Very lackluster AoE for a weapon you can avoid.

As for betrayal, I just shot a random soldier from a defensive spot I chose. No need to initiate convo while surrounded.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 24, 2023

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

If you know you're walking into an ambush, prepare remote detonated explosives, get your snipers in position, rolling up with only your heavily armored mercs, etc. A few grenades as a cherry on top helps too.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

I took the southern mine first and just managed to get the northern one before the first one was depleted. That was quite a pain in the rear end but luckily I just found a suppressed rifle so was able to take out a decent amount of enemies without triggering everyone.

you know you can craft suppressors, right? it took me longer than I care to admit to find the weapon mod page. you just need some scrap.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

have you tried killing the bad guys

that's what I did, worked pretty well.

new guys all carry flashbangs seemly, which is obnoxious

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Also, if you need meds, you can scrap the med/first aid kits for more.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

have you tried killing the bad guys

that's what I did, worked pretty well.

new guys all carry flashbangs seemly, which is obnoxious

Flashbangs inflicting Tired is really weird, rather than their own temporary malus/effect

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Barry doesn't suffer hyenas, he just killed an entire pack of four and an enemy soldier with a single shaped charge. :torgue:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Dandywalken posted:

G36 gets the point blank bonus unlike other ARs but yeah, Im in the same boat regarding random drops. I found one G36 in the last map sector with two M82s, never before then lol

Wait wut? Maybe I should have used them in my game through. My go to was ak 74s and FALs with M24s supporting. Exclusively 7.62mm NATO with some WP as far as ammo needs. Going 5.56mm this time, I figure Minimi’s for MG gunners and some close in dudes with G36s and AP ammo could be the move.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trillhouse posted:

you know you can craft suppressors, right? it took me longer than I care to admit to find the weapon mod page. you just need some scrap.
I do now! I actually had issue crafting anything at all because I didn't have a location with a workshop (other than Ernie but I left the island before realizing it) and sufficiently high skills.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just finished and I never found an M82 in my game :( But that's ok because my snipers were lethal enough without them. Magic was my MVP using a PSG-1 and a quick prism scope, and his special ability means endless critical hits as long as he has the high ground.

With the right perks, melee is absurdly good all the way until the end of the game. Dr Q and Igor running around with machetes and chopping everyone's dicks off worked out well for me, and as a bonus you can easily train Dr Q in marksmanship so he can still be useful outside of melee range.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

Flashbangs inflicting Tired is really weird, rather than their own temporary malus/effect

Yeah it's weird that it inflicts tired and not inaccurate. Although a protip: you become immune to tired if you have the "well-rested" buff from R&R. They can flash you as much as they want (and they will) and all it'll do is give you one turn of suppression + some minor scratch damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Totes. I stuck Meltdown with a single Anaconda (The upgrade of the Peacemaker) with Long barrel and UV Dot sight switching between AP/HP ammo when needed from mid-game all the way to end-game. Cheap damaging ammo and cheap shots.
The Deagle is ok, can't snipe with it like the Anaconda but does a touch more damage and you can put suppressors on it. I didn't care much for the .50 conversion because I didn't get a lot of SLAP ammo for it and the range decrease is blegh.

Honestly even the Peacemaker with a Long barrel is a good early-game sidearm.

I'm in the Mortars Suck camp. The one-turn delay and the random spread when they actually drop, it's poo when you could just rain 40mm instead.

Croccers fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 24, 2023