Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like george Clooney to be up in the air, out of sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

He’s great in Michael Clayton

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He’s great in Michael Clayton

Three Kings? Good Night and Good Luck? Syriana? Ides of March?

And, y'know, all the stuff he did with the Coens. O Brother Where Art Thou? is a god drat masterpiece.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also Clooney is great in Solaris. He’s both charming in memory and a bit scummy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xiahou Dun posted:

Three Kings? Good Night and Good Luck?
Honestly, the only performance I remember from Good Night and Good Luck is David Strathairn's. I forgot about Three Kings, he is good in that, and of course Oh, Brother.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Clooney has a good supporting role in Good Night. Moderately thankless, but he does a good enough job I remember it years later after only seeing the movie once.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
I love Alexander Paynes The Descendants but I know some people don’t so it probably wouldn’t change the mind of someone who already doesn’t like Clooney.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Oceans 12 is a movie about how hard it is to make a sequel to your biggest hit. The studio (Terry Benedict) says you have to pull off another job, you have less time to do it, and it's got to be even bigger than the first one.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Honestly trying to think of something dweebier than bragging about not getting the appeal of George Clooney and coming up empty.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't like I'm A Cyborg, But That's Okay, but that's okay because I can't wait to get back to my boy Song Kang-Ho with Thirst.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Human Tornada posted:

Honestly trying to think of something dweebier than bragging about not getting the appeal of George Clooney and coming up empty.

This, Clooney rules

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh I see the appeal of Clooney and like him in stuff, I just never really got excited by the Oceans "ensemble magic" (I get why it exists tho).

Human Tornada posted:

Probably your post. Omg not white America's beloved and super hip George Clooney!!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 26, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We all dweebs here. Still posting on somethingawful.com even as the world overheats and burns up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Who on earth watches the Oceans movies for the cast. Like they’re fine, but they’re not the main draw.

I watch them because movies about confidence heists rule and there are nowhere near enough of them.

If you need me, I’ll be rewatching The Sting.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They are absolutely the main draw for most moviegoers. Clooney, Pitt, and Damon were (and are) extremely popular actors. What even is that take?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jack Bandit posted:

I love Alexander Paynes The Descendants but I know some people don’t so it probably wouldn’t change the mind of someone who already doesn’t like Clooney.

I did not enjoy 90% of that movie, but the Clooney/Lillard scene is just absolutely incredible. Just an amazing use of Clooney and Lillard's star personas and acting abilities.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

algebra testes posted:

I don't like I'm A Cyborg, But That's Okay, but that's okay because I can't wait to get back to my boy Song Kang-Ho with Thirst.

I loving love Thirst. I tend to like the BC eps less when I like the movie more (except for Aliens) so I am trying to temper my expectations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd like george Clooney to be up in the air, out of sight

So, gravity?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xiahou Dun posted:

Who on earth watches the Oceans movies for the cast. Like they’re fine, but they’re not the main draw.

I watch them because movies about confidence heists rule and there are nowhere near enough of them.

If you need me, I’ll be rewatching The Sting.

The draw is absolutely beautiful movie stars doing elaborate heists these takes are INSANE

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
oceans 111 is 100% hanging with your celeb buds and watching fun glitzy things go down

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Cyborg ep was recorded so long ago its out of date because they talk about Twitter.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I want Karen Chee on every episode

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

poly and open-minded posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The "Nolan sympathized with Oppenheimer because someone shot up TDKR" take might be the most baffling and I'll considered notion I've ever heard. Gotta say, I don't like Marie Bardi very much at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gaius Marius posted:

The "Nolan sympathized with Oppenheimer because someone shot up TDKR" take might be the most baffling and I'll considered notion I've ever heard. Gotta say, I don't like Marie Bardi very much at all.

This honestly doesn’t seem more out of pocket than the weird ahistorical armchair psychology Griffin trots out every other episode

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah there’s often some weird trying to guess the reasoning of directors while ignoring interviews and such. But it’s a funny podcast still.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

"Nolan sympathized with Oppenheimer because someone shot up TDKR"

Terminal twitter brain

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

poly and open-minded posted:

This. Also, she also summed up what I felt about the movie quite nicely.

And also the Oppenheimer episode was a good one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Griffin says so much dumb poo poo I don't even hear it most the time. Like I refuse to comprehend the words, he's just a vague Guage of generalized podcast enthusiasm or disappointment.like the Playboi Carti of podcasters

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

now that scott hasn't seen has gotten into its groove and sean clements is doing a movie podcast with actual screenwriters there's basically no reason to use blank check for anything except a watchlist or to deepen an already existing parasocial relationship

it has been a zero-insight zone for a long time

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Or, you know, maybe you just find it entertaining and enjoyable to listen to

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
(psychopath voice) what insight do i gain from this

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Stuart Little gag had me in stitches. And that is why insight or no, I listen to the podcast.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

now that scott hasn't seen has gotten into its groove and sean clements is doing a movie podcast with actual screenwriters there's basically no reason to use blank check for anything except a watchlist or to deepen an already existing parasocial relationship

every one of your posts ITT is about how much you don’t like the podcast, nobody is making you listen

but really, it’s a comedy podcast and some ppl find it funny that’s literally the reason

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 9, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

R. Guyovich posted:

putting your weird robot logic aside, it's not like they're covering the same movies?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I had a similar revelation after the Sunshine episode, lol. I love podcasts for their entertainment value but I'd suggest more conventional academic route if you want to get serious about cinema. There's some very good books on the subject!

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 10, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I personally like when Griffin is really out there and you can hear David saying "...alright" just trying to reign in what he now knows is either completely unsupported theorycraft or is something that he legitimately knows is untrue. On rather rare occasions, he has just explicitly said that he can't take part in some of the wilder or more specific to named real people theories, because he has a job as a journalist.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It's also cool when griffin is doing a funny bit and david shits all over it with sudden and intense aggression

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
But... there are no bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Riptor posted:

It's also cool when griffin is doing a funny bit and david shits all over it with sudden and intense aggression

They address their dynamic in the Cyborg ep, they are Bert and Ernie and it’s a proven comedic template.