Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Someone - it might well have been in this thread - compared Chibnall's writing to that of the more novelistic AI chatbots like AI Dungeon or Kobold AI. They start off strong, throwing all kinds of ideas into the story that you wouldn't have expected, but by the end of the story, it's never really followed up on any of those ideas, and usually has forgotten how the story started in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wolfechu posted:

Someone - it might well have been in this thread - compared Chibnall's writing to that of the more novelistic AI chatbots like AI Dungeon or Kobold AI. They start off strong, throwing all kinds of ideas into the story that you wouldn't have expected, but by the end of the story, it's never really followed up on any of those ideas, and usually has forgotten how the story started in the first place.

Oh, that was me! Yeah, Flux and Power of the Doctor felt a lot like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh hey, wanna be terrified?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gross. Gisnep is the worst and so is the company they meant to write

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
lmao Disney+ may not even exist by the time it's supposed to be showing new Doctor Who episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

A real problem with Big Finish's Time War material is the Time Lords need to be just as bad as the Daleks and they're not. The Doctor needed something beyond "fighting bad" to justify being willing to genocide his people and Big Finish always makes the Time Lords out to be nit so bad. They might be building atomic bombs, but they're fighting an enemy that wants to wipe out all life in the universe and they gives them some moral justification. There needed to be some outright Time Lord villainy and they were never willing to go further than belligerent antagonists.

They've been pretty loving awful -- outside Romana (Lalla Ward seems to have tacitly quit the series tbh) pretty much every recurring timelord character is implicated in some horrific atrocities. The poo poo they do to Leela in her most recent appearance is straight comic book nazism, there's a recurring member of the war council who's a recreational vivisectionist, another regular gets a big speech about how disgusting it is that the timelords have embraced segregation because she sees that as the path to integration, their idea of an ambassador is the War Vore Master...

Narsham posted:

I still think that's an intelligible arc that pertains to the character relationships in the show, but has nothing really to say outside of that. Compare to some of the strands running through Doctor Who, whether they be an innate suspicion of authority (whether that's the revolutionary aspects of Two or Seven or Eleven, or the subversiveness sometimes displayed by Three and Five), or to some of the new series Doctor arcs:

IMO Torchwood has a fairly consistent nihilistic throughline that acts as the flipside to Davies' Doctor Who. Space and time are wonderful in theory, and for many people the universe is a gateway to wonderful things, but Torchwood focuses on the failures of this philosophy. The unknown can be horrible, lead to moral and physical corruption, and a lot of pointless, nasty death. Sarah Jane meets a space poet, but that same species turns up on Torchwood and ruins Tosh's life. That one kid goes to space and his mind breaks. Weevils are (probably) people who've been corrupted by the rift.

Simultaneously, humanity isn't an essentially wonderful creation that innately deserves anything, even saving from its own worse impulses. The show's heroes are mostly terrible, often stupid, and rarely heroic in archetype or character, but they achieve heroism by virtue of being the ones willing to jump on the grenade. Not the heroes humanity needs, or even wants, but probably what they ultimately deserve -- in the universe of the show, at least.

But you're right in that Chibnall's version of this isn't particularly successful (and let's be honest, he's being heavily bolstered by RTD during his two seasons of the show). RTD is more successful, and wrote some of the best material for the series -- but, IMO, Goss is arguably the most successful at teasing out these ideas.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what's the vibe of cardiff? rewatching nuWho now and I'm never quite sure what the jape is when it's referenced.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Khanstant posted:

what's the vibe of cardiff? rewatching nuWho now and I'm never quite sure what the jape is when it's referenced.

I've always seen Cardiff as the UK's Pittsburgh, but that might just be my ignorance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
England : Wales:: Australia : NewZealand

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s doing New Zealand a disservice.

Cardiff’s alright, if dull. I’ve had a few days there and it’s like any medium sized UK city. Nothing jumps out personality wise. It’s a shame the Experience has closed up, honestly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I put on Hide for the heck of it tonight, and aside from the weird coda at the end, this episode is a banger.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Gross. Gisnep is the worst and so is the company they meant to write
Why do people who think that's what it is think the G was backwards? That's the only part I've never understood. The P at the end? Yeah. Looks way more like a P than a Y. But that's a D at the front.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is what happens when you don't make people learn cursive in school

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Khanstant posted:

Cardiff is cool because it's in Wales and not in England (although there are still plenty of english within it)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The best thing that happened in Cardiff for me was running into Matt Smith at breakfast about an hour before leaving for London.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Why do people who think that's what it is think the G was backwards? That's the only part I've never understood. The P at the end? Yeah. Looks way more like a P than a Y. But that's a D at the front.

Because it's a backwards sloppy G? Just... Look at it. Ds don't have vertical crossbar in their G coil because they don't have one. Ds don't have a round bulb at the bottom back like an 8. It's horrible handwriting by some (oh an animator did it because Walt's real signature was somehow even uglier I guess)

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was definitely a "that's a G" kid growing up

Never looked at the rest of the logo though, and yeah, that's 100% a P at the end of it, but sure, whatever you say, Walt פisnep

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 11, Episode 7: Kerblam!
Written by Pete McTighe, Directed by Jennifer Perrott

Kerblam! summary...

https://i.imgur.com/p2yKcwQ.mp4

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

For the record, I really like your reviews, and when I sat down for a break with a fresh cup of coffee, I was very happy to see this!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks! It's good to get my thoughts down, especially if I reread them years later and see If I still feel the same way about an episode and if time has been kinder (or crueler) to it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finished series one today, did skip the 2 partner with the kids who cry "mummy" over and over, just don't like that episode and remembered it as soon as I heard the first one lol.

Doctor does Mickey dirty compared to later companion boyfriends.

I always forget how old the first series seems, I never actually watched it air on TV but feels like something I could've watched in the late 90s, although 2005 is kind of the upper bound of late 90s.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eccleston's season is hamstrung by the budget, which was blown in the second episode.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fart aliens was also an exhausting choice, but I do like the eventual arc of Harriet Jones from small time bureaucratic to PM to space warcrimer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Fart aliens was also an exhausting choice, .

Hey hey hey, let's not say things we can't take back.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The phrase "fart aliens" played a game of telephone in my brain and I remembered the sex gas from Torchwood. Now I feel shame.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I gotta be honest, I've never hated the farting aliens. Largely because they were part of my introduction to Who and to that point I was under the impression that it was a children's programme, so using that sort of humor to introduce moral dilemmas and political stakes and make it more palatable made sense to me.

Now the sex gas, on the other hand................... .... ..............

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

but I do like the eventual arc of Harriet Jones from small time bureaucratic

Who?

Yes. I know who she is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I remembered the sex gas from Torchwood.

But enough about John Barrowman

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Slitheen were a good idea let down by juvenile direction from Keith Boak weren't they? And inattention from Russell as well I suppose.

If they cut the farting down to like one joke and a little dramatic sting ("she's a Slitheen!"), and made the costume 10% less cutesy, they would have been much more successful as recurring villains

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Slitheen were a bizarre case of only looking good when they were fully CGI. The actual rubber suits were laughable with really weird legs. There’s a couple of snatches of fully CG versions, and they look so much more deadly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The best Slitheen moment was her date with the Doctor, begging for her life and trying to pull at Doctor's empathy strings, promising to turn over a new leaf, while also making a few efforts to kill him.

One the best moments of S1 for me was the Doctor telling the Daleks "no" and announcing he's going to stop them and has idea how and that must scare the Daleks.

I think it may have been the first instance of Doctor just using their reputation to intimidate and it works well here because we got to see him earn the reputation a bit and it was a taunt that had to be followed up on with action. I think later on the move becomes a bit overused or a bit cheesy at times, but here it was exciting.

Jerusalem posted:

Who?

Yes. I know who she is.

The arc was especially funny this time because I had a flash of that lady who was PM for like 2 weeks and was made to quit.

One last thing: I had forgotten how 9 died, huffing out the time vortex that Rose saw too much. They obviously weren't scheming this far ahead back then, but 10 born from some time vortex energy overload kind of goes some way in explaining why 10 of all Doctors is so sticky and keeps coming back around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah the Doctor saying no and the Daleks starting to freak out because their plan hasn't worked and oh God their worst nightmare is coming true is the best. The one Dalek complaining,"But... you have no plan!" and that just making the Doctor MORE excited is great.

Plus of course part of what makes it work is after rescuing Rose and taunting them with a big grin on his face, the moment he steps back into the TARDIS you just see him deflate because of course he's putting on a brave face.... the horrible thing he (thinks he) did and it was all for nothing, the Daleks survived and they're here doing the same old bullshit as before. Which in turn makes the moment where he chooses NOT to repeat himself and wipe everything out again land all the stronger.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also watched some little promo they made of 8 to War's transition, and although AFAIK we don't have one of War into 9, that little snippet of context helped the pathos of 9 shine a little more.

Also the lines "you were fantastic, and you know what? So was I" sends that DW shiver right down my spine.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
By "some little promo", do you mean Night of the Doctor?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
And I went into this specifically trying to pay attention to episode titles. So far I have "some promo" and "the annoying mummy 2 parter."

I looked up a guide on watch order to remember when to slot in the specials since the site I'm using has em a bit oddly grouped. Opted not to try and jam Torchwood into this, never made it far before. Might try Sarah Jane Adventures though when the time comes because her appearances in Who were so delightful.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

The arc was especially funny this time because I had a flash of that lady who was PM for like 2 weeks and was made to quit.

Now I'm picturing this scene:
Khanstant: "Oh, were you PM before or after the cabbage lady?"
Liz Truss [teeth gritted]: "I was the cabbage lady."

I am really interested to see what RTD does with the current level of SFX. It's easy to forget how much things improved since his first run in that regard.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
God I loved Eccleston in the role so so much. That first season is fire, farting aliens and all

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
One episode from series 1 that I love that I don't think gets talked about is the unquiet dead. A fun spooky story, great costumes, the actor who plays Charles Dickens is marvellous and Eccleston of course is great. Loved that episode as a kid and I always go back to it from time to time. I think it's mark gatiss's strongest script.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Gatiss fell off so hard after that, it's so disappointing. Unquiet Dead is one of my early favorites too, a great nod to the Holmes era's horror-esque serials, tight script, no annoying elements, I wish more eps had been like that throughout.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Gatiss is an annoying dude, but I feel like his Who scripts are more or less all kind of similar qualitatively, except for the dumb found footage one which is genuinely one of the worst episodes of modern Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Because it's a backwards sloppy G? Just... Look at it
Re-read my post. I said that. I was asking why people who thought it was a G think it's backwards for no good reason.