Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
His dad died in 9/11, he bought a Staten Island Ferry stoned out of his mind and he's reported to have a giant hog. These all qualify him to pitch Taco Bell breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cyril Sneer posted:

I liked his early comedy stuff but that's about it.

I remember him knocking it out of the park on his first Weekend Update appearance.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
why are there SO MANY commercials where there's basically zero content other than a bunch of people dancing? dancing for prescription drugs, dancing for fast food, dancing for interior paint. well we don't really know how to sell this product so we'll just cast a bunch of dancers for a 15 second spot.

this California vs COVID ad is the most embarrassing thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uED3Ehb5SA

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Ding ding ding-di-di-ding ding shut the gently caress UP GOD drat IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDhFnkiRRo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I just saw a Boost Inifinite mobile ad where a man is literally pissing away money into a urinal.

No, thanks.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont some modern public bathrooms have ad screens in the bathroom?

would be some great synergy to have that play while pissing in a urinal or the stall.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

would be some great synergy to have that play while pissing in a urinal or the stall.

I sense cross marketing potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yboLXvtAY

"Piss here to skip advertisement"

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I was at a conference last week and some tech company put branded splash guards in the urinals with piss puns on them, like “Urine luck if you come to our booth”

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ding ding ding-di-di-ding ding shut the gently caress UP GOD drat IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDhFnkiRRo

Might take the prize for my least favorite commercial ever, holy god do I hate it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I was at a conference last week and some tech company put branded splash guards in the urinals with piss puns on them, like “Urine luck if you come to our booth”

I feel bad for the people who have to go and put ads inside a urinal, and then they all go into the trash a week later.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Poshmark could gently caress off with these same two commercials anytime now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Vakal posted:

Poshmark could gently caress off with these same two commercials anytime now.

There’s three: The younger woman, the slightly older woman, and one with a dude selling sneakers. They’ve all been airing for a while, the one with the guy for years, and they’re all stupid overplayed.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
If they stopped playing that Samsung flip phone ad where the British woman has an orgasm just seeing the phone, I would not complain.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I know that a child's laughter is supposed to be, like, a symbol of the purest joy or whatever, but this VW commercial where the girl laughs over and over again is the most annoying commercial I have seen in a very, very, VERY long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0viJsiwHMT0

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
“Jardiance is really swell,
the little pill with a big FAT story to tell!”
-Big ol’Gal
:btroll:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DerekSmartymans posted:

“Jardiance is really swell,
the little pill with a big FAT story to tell!”
-Big ol’Gal
:btroll:

Possible side effects: fatal taint infection (seriously)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Possible side effects: fatal taint infection (seriously)

“I got my A1c down…too bad I died of the Taint Rot!”

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Medication ads warning of side effects worse than the condition they're treating are my favorite thing.

"Do you have chronic headaches? Would you prefer to risk seizures and death?"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Don't take BLANK if you are allergic to BLANK.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Medication ads warning of side effects worse than the condition they're treating are my favorite thing.

"Do you have chronic headaches? Would you prefer to risk seizures and death?"

Yeah I've got eczema and one of the medications is like, you could die. Nah I'll just live with itchy skin thanks

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

explosivo posted:

Don't take BLANK if you are allergic to BLANK.

And that's there because some genius thought "I'm allergic to BLANK but I'll take BLANK anyway", had a reaction, thought "Why didn't anyone tell me not to take BLANK when allergic to BLANK" and then sued and probably settled.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
That goddamn allergy medicine ad with that Christmas song can GTFO any time now...

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

There’s a drug commercial on Hulu for some probably made-up-just-to-sell-this-drug condition that has an acronym for a name but they don’t explain what it is or what the symptoms are so you’ll hopefully go Google it and click on the search result ad.

It is a goddamn eye injection. No, I don’t care if it’s not actually injected directly into the eyeball. gently caress that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It is a goddamn eye injection. No, I don’t care if it’s not actually injected directly into the eyeball. gently caress that.

I think I know the one you're talking about and I definitely did a "HOOO!" out loud when I actually listened to it say "so and so is an eye injection"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Reminds me of the thing that touts itself as an alternative if you have sleep apnea but don't like using a CPAP machine. You've got to actually go to their webpage to find out that what they're suggesting instead is a device surgically inserted into your throat.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Every chime credit builder credit card whatever ad can die in a fire. They’re all absolutely terrible. But I especially hate the one with the “indie filmmaker” where he talks about being afraid of credit cards but was able to use this card to help make a feature film. gently caress off dude.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And that's there because some genius thought "I'm allergic to BLANK but I'll take BLANK anyway", had a reaction, thought "Why didn't anyone tell me not to take BLANK when allergic to BLANK" and then sued and probably settled.

This same country has warning labels on peanut jars saying to be careful because it contains peanuts

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

vyst posted:

This same country has warning labels on peanut jars saying to be careful because it contains peanuts
But at least you can encounter peanuts in other situations.

How the gently caress am I supposed to know if I'm allergic to deutrexamine if I've never taken deutrexamine before?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I feel like we've been making fun of drug ads since I was a kid, at least, and they're getting worse all the time. It all feels just as bad as Happy Fun Ball, and that was supposed to be a joke. The real solution is just to not advertise prescription drugs to consumers, but that's also not profitable to do so we'll keep getting this poo poo.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

I feel like we've been making fun of drug ads since I was a kid, at least, and they're getting worse all the time. It all feels just as bad as Happy Fun Ball, and that was supposed to be a joke. The real solution is just to not advertise prescription drugs to consumers, but that's also not profitable to do so we'll keep getting this poo poo.

What, you mean you don't want to hear about the drug that treats your restless legs and has a tiny chance of turning you into a degenerate gambler?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I like the ones with crazy out of left field side-effects that you'd never even consider as a possibility. On one hand, migraine treatment might kill you has a weird logic because if it is playing with blood pressure, then...ok I can follow that.

Cipro giving you a slight chance of rupturing your Achilles Tendon? Huh?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

I only dimly recall the time before deregulated TV. The ads still sucked, but at least they weren't 100% drug commercials.

But on the plus side, haven't seen an ad for boner-pill in ages.

RIP Enzyte Bob.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you go to US Postal Museum in DC, there's a small exhibit about good old Bob. In the mail fraud section.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sash! posted:

I like the ones with crazy out of left field side-effects that you'd never even consider as a possibility. On one hand, migraine treatment might kill you has a weird logic because if it is playing with blood pressure, then...ok I can follow that.

Cipro giving you a slight chance of rupturing your Achilles Tendon? Huh?

My vague recollection is that this is because anything that happens to the test group while they're on the drug has to be listed as a possible side effect unless they're in a car accident or something, but that's probably wrong.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Failson posted:

I only dimly recall the time before deregulated TV. The ads still sucked, but at least they weren't 100% drug commercials.

RIP Enzyte Bob.

Lmao those commercials were wild

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was inspecting my butt.
And I found something wrong with my butt.
Don't make me say butt.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

SpacePig posted:

Do not taunt Jardiance

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My vague recollection is that this is because anything that happens to the test group while they're on the drug has to be listed as a possible side effect unless they're in a car accident or something, but that's probably wrong.

I do believe that is true.

That said, there's a category of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones. Cipro is the most common and widely used one. For unclear, but rare, reasons, they have a negative effect on the cell type that make up tendons. It seems to also affect the Achilles more than other tendons. They've been investigating it for almost 40 years and still haven't cracked the case.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I work in medical research and this is the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Failson posted:

RIP Enzyte Bob.

All the boner-pill ads are on right-wing podcasts, now.