Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've bested every challenge in Monster Sanctuary and gotten my team, which is premised on using debuffs to turn being a coward into being an offensive juggernaut, to level 114 in the tower - about 20 levels after enemies just randomly start to hit you for 15k. Game is way better than I'd thought it would be, and it has a randomizer and limited monster selection mode that I plan to return to when I've taken a bit of a break. Onto LISA now that it's on Switch.

The hardest battle in the game was one of the Legendary Keepers, whose team was thoroughly mediocre except for a Changeling that would crit me with bleeds 17 times a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

been playing Death's Door today, accidentally bought it a while back. it's good so far, doesn't do anything new but the combat is solid and the art design has some charm. it does have a novel way of showing damage on the enemy models instead of a health bar. more games should have that.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I've bested every challenge in Monster Sanctuary and gotten my team, which is premised on using debuffs to turn being a coward into being an offensive juggernaut, to level 114 in the tower - about 20 levels after enemies just randomly start to hit you for 15k. Game is way better than I'd thought it would be, and it has a randomizer and limited monster selection mode that I plan to return to when I've taken a bit of a break. Onto LISA now that it's on Switch.

The hardest battle in the game was one of the Legendary Keepers, whose team was thoroughly mediocre except for a Changeling that would crit me with bleeds 17 times a turn.

I promised myself to hold off on buying games for a while, given my sizeable backlog, but then your post about this game got me interested and I saw it’s on sale for a fiver so whoops

also don’t know if you’ve played Lisa before but if you haven’t you’re in for a treat

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my bony fealty posted:

been playing Death's Door today, accidentally bought it a while back. it's good so far, doesn't do anything new but the combat is solid and the art design has some charm. it does have a novel way of showing damage on the enemy models instead of a health bar. more games should have that.

Death's Door was an unexpected delight to me and the really dry sense of humour the game has is exactly my jam. I'm glad that Acid Nerve has managed to have a hit after Titan Souls went completely under the radar (despite also being a very good game)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Brimruk posted:

I promised myself to hold off on buying games for a while, given my sizeable backlog, but then your post about this game got me interested and I saw it’s on sale for a fiver so whoops

also don’t know if you’ve played Lisa before but if you haven’t you’re in for a treat

Yeah it's a real good deal for what it's going for right now, it's why I rolled the dice on it as well. I think my favorite part has been that between how niche it is and how much more team synergy matters than individual monster, there's no real OP builds or cookie cutter things to copy like with Pokemon, and even if you go searching it out specifically the best you're gonna get is vague guidelines. It's the wild west and also means a team of just stuff you think looks cool or cute is likely super viable. It's a very good Switch game.

Haven't played LISA yet but am aware of it vaguely, I'm looking forward to it

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Jul 24, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

speaking of world of darkness trash: anyone play that werewolf game that came out recently?

bought this game for $5. bold strategy to make a game about an ecoterrorist werewolf a stealth game where you game over for getting spotted.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homeless Friend posted:

a little tip for goons: you dont want to see the pixels lmfao

I can tell by the pixels

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Death's Door was an unexpected delight to me and the really dry sense of humour the game has is exactly my jam. I'm glad that Acid Nerve has managed to have a hit after Titan Souls went completely under the radar (despite also being a very good game)

They just gave me a big fuckoff hammer and thus proved that they know what makes these games good. Music is good too.

Titan Souls is $2 on Steam right now, I'll pick it up.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Death's Door is good because you can be a little crow and you do cute little hops when you move

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m really trying to give Remnant 2 a chance but so far finding it frustrating and jank, and not in the good way

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

It's a nice little simple cutesy doo simplified dark souls kinda thing. The combat is fun for what it is and it doesn't wear out its welcome too much

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't like how cavalier everyone is about forgiving/helping Akechi after he loving killed me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

I don't like how cavalier everyone is about forgiving/helping Akechi after he loving killed me

Vanilla version better IMO

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just beat Stranger of Paradise aka Kill Chaos

That wasn't half bad! the most fun I've had with a final fantasy in... A long long time.

It does have that squeenix writing where you can't tell if it's badly localised or just like that
The story is told incoherently (it's one of those games where it feels like 3 slightly diff versions of the same story strung together with some scenes missing) but is actually okay?
Like there's a pretty decent plot once you can decipher it and twists and stuff. I wasn't expecting that at all!
Theres not even any kingdom hearts time ghosts!

The super classes like Breaker and Sage were really fun, building up to dropping ultima on people or exploding a whole pack of enemies with a giant axe swing is a good time.
The gameplay is solid if a little overloaded with stuff, I only played about a third of the classes and completely ignored two entire combat mechanics.
It's sorta a combo of ff7r and (a bit of) the new GoWs but with better encounter design than ff7r except for some annoying sonic pulse bat's that keep showing up.
I did rage a couple times at some bosses but never enough to actually roadblock me.
It was satisfying as hell to style over them once I had my job combos figured out

I don't think I'll go on to do the post game stuff but I'd maybe think about doing the dlc if its chunky coz god help me... I actually do want to know more about the plot of the kill chaos game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death's Door also has sweet music, especially the themes for The Grey Crow or The Last Lord.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

and the jar granny

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Risutora posted:

and the jar granny

this one whipped yeah

my only complaint so far is that it seems like shrines are too sparse, I've defeated the frog king and have only found 2/4 of each type? maybe I just missed some or there are only 4 total in the game?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

So epic sent out another survey of what would players like to see for collaborations.
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1682809218573713408?t=S7t2oI4gCZdEd7krJ8Q1hg&s=19
This is all temperature feelers of the community, but there is 2 big things that are a bit different from previous survives like this. This time has a lot more disney animated characters/movies and a lot more Nintendo stuff.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing g the scooby-doo gang or looney toons.

I will absolutely pull out my wallet for Jojo skins and emotes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

boo boo bear posted:

headshot hue was a test that so many people failed.

The first mine you take over, the miners come back in and if you talk to them they're like "Well, mining is better than the refuge camp ... sorta"

You're already the bastard. I doubt the game is at some point going to give me the option to bail on the diamond mine-owning plutocrat who hired me and throw in with the communists. May as well lean in on being a bastard.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

boo boo bear posted:

headshot hue was a test that so many people failed.

Headshot Hue has more tests than you probably know... than any of us yet know

JA3 is seriously good though. All of the misgivings on some things I had at first have pretty much gone away. Some balance stuff could use work but if that isn't fixed by devs mods will do the trick. Absolutely blows the poo poo out of the xcom remakes.

Also definitely talk to all NPCs all the time. Click those bastards. It seems like some dialogues/quest info changes based on time/location and stuff. A "miner" doesn't say the same thing in each mine at each time. Ditto for all the other NPCs. Really surprised how many things get "noticed" and how open ended some things are. After playing more I can't believe there weren't more uncompleteable quests and what not given how many different orders there are to do poo poo in.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

indigi posted:

also bring back Game Genie

game genie is just cheat engine for console gamers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

lost a 25 relic world because i forgot how the second half of the rubricator questline worked

Sounds like a great excuse to quit or start over, which are the best parts of a paradox game.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds like a great excuse to quit or start over, which are the best parts of a paradox game.

way ahead of you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

skill issue

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I finally looked up what Checkerboard Rendering is and I'm very amused

Buddy you should look up what DLSS is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Sorry I don't believe in that AI stuff

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

a little tip for goons: you dont want to see the pixels lmfao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

Need to get Kirby in here to post about PoE lore and LALD in here to post about Destiny 2 lore.

PoE mechanic speculation videos have appeared on my YouTube feed. The time is coming. I smell league start on the horizon. Yes, I will unrust my posting fingers and give a concise overview of the lore of Path of Exile.

Ytlaya posted:

I want big triple-A Wuxia games.

Assassin's Creed, but with actual cool things, and communist sensibilities. Play as a guy/lady who is powerful at Kung Fu during the Opium Wars, and murder lots of British people.

Yes, yes yes yes

--------------

Anyways I binge watched SuperGreatFriend reading Paradise Killer. The videogame is a shockingly good who-dun-it story. In agatha-christese it is a Murder On Orient Express. I really liked it. The link was a nice 14 hour long audiobook with a futurefunk soundtrack where ridiculous combinations of words are all taken as seriously as necessary to support a series of convoluted mysteries. The visuals support a fun mood. SGF button presses a well done completionist pace. The vibe just kinda seeps in after the 4 hour mark. The melodrama was juicy after being marinated in flowery prose. I loved the married immortal characters and their portion of the plot. I like the way the videogame is constructed. First 75% is investigating and back and forth fetching to get all the things for the climax trial.

Climax trial let's you Choose-Your-Own-Adventure and decide how each of the dozen plot threads get tied up. I would get a savestate before trial and pick things other than SGF.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Dick Lickin, Suckin, and Slurpin

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the thing i mostly remember about the poe story is that you kill god twice before you get to the endgame

which of course makes it a jrpg

an ajrpg

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't think BG3 counts as a new season for PoE but I'm glad other people are excited.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

the thing i mostly remember about the poe story is that you kill god twice before you get to the endgame

an ajrpg

Oh, it's a final fantasy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

an ajrpg

what's diablo 2 then, you have to kill 9 gods to finish that

e: also part 2 of poe is really just going on a god killing spree, kitava just happens to be the last in the line lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Truga posted:

what's diablo 2 then, you have to kill 9 gods to finish that

no no, not different gods, you just kill god, twice.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

no no, not different gods, you just kill god, twice.

i was making a joke about killing meph/diablo/baal 3 times across 3 difficulties :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Phone posting, Path of Exile lore.

Act 1 through Act 5 is a series of escalations using a grim-dark mid 2000s aesthetic. Every player character is an Exile from the city cast out by the god emperor for petty crimes based on class (deep). I remember witch's and the duelists backgrounds best because Witch was voiced by Lorde, a concurrent New Zealand power player who sang a song from my youthe. Duelist has a silly twirl animation if he casts leap slam while holding a two handed sword.

In Act 3 you kill the god-emporer who is like a god. In Act 4 you murder a mountain using a soul cannon powered by the crystal skulls pried off the god-chief of the Polynesian analog and the god-champion of the arena. In Act 5 you take a swing at Kitava, the God of Hunger, but it's bullshit scripted for him to win and he inflicts your character with a -25% All Resistance debuff that lasts for ever, so Act 6-10 is a victory lap or new game plus retread of the areas previously traveled as you murder some newly resurrected gods claiming the world as their new domain. It is now a revenge story with your new friend Sin, who never betrays you throughout the whole series. This is less important than gathering the souls of the god-emporer homie trio. In Act 10 you murder Innocence, god of purity, so he can be saved by his brother Sin. Then you kill Kitava, The God of Hunger, who gives you an additional -25% All Resistance debuff, which represents what the main character personally sacrificed to save the world and saye their vengeance.

But I like the smaller interpersonal stories and Acts 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 have sweet love stories to reduce down into pitht summaries.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

alternatively, it's all maps. the whole game is maps.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the innocence murder happens in act5 but otherwise yeah that's accurate

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

kirby please tell me about kitava's hunger and kitava's torments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY