Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Meta did not stick at all other than for terminally online folks. The general public have no idea what Meta is.

Pretty much, ask a normal person about Meta and they might have heard about the Metaverse, not that it has anything to do with Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Nobody calls the Google company "Alphabet" unless it's some financial reporting poo poo.

That's because Alphabet is just a holding company created to own Google and other things. Meta was a full rebrand of Facebook Inc.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Bottom Liner posted:

Meta did not stick at all other than for terminally online folks. The general public have no idea what Meta is.

X, Meta, Alphabet. These are all genius moves worthy of executives earning millions by the month.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

OneEightHundred posted:

Most things that refer to the company refer to it as "Meta" now, the same can definitely not be said for "Alphabet."

Nobody calls the Google company "Alphabet" unless it's some financial reporting poo poo.

Facebook doesn't actually exist as a company, right? Google does and most of what people interact with is under Google. Like Meta produces Facebook and Instagram, Google produces search, Gmail, etc. Alphabet will get mentioned in the context of like Waymo because Google doesn't own them

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Most things that refer to the company refer to it as "Meta" now, the same can definitely not be said for "Alphabet."

In the case of Google/Alphabet, that was 100% by design.

IIRC, at the time, Google was going absolutely nuts with acquisitions, and the idea was to prevent these from polluting the Google brand by keeping them as separate entities (it happened right after a bunch of really bad press wrt/ Nest).

Google itself never attempted any form of rebrand. It was about the other companies sitting underneath the corporate umbrella.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 24, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone posted this version of the logo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like I've seen that exact logo before. It looks a lot like the Sharp x68000 logo but it isn't quite the same...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like I've seen that exact logo before. It looks a lot like the Sharp x68000 logo but it isn't quite the same...

It's very similar to the Linux X Window system logo for one.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

recently "meta" was an answer in some jeopardy question and nobody knew what the gently caress it was

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Google and Facebook got away with their respective corporate renamings without drama because they didn't touch the brand. Everything that was branded Google is still branded Google. Facebook.com is still Facebook.

Elmo would have had a similar no-drama corporate renaming to X if he'd left Twitter branded as Twitter; but of course he couldn't do that, because he's an imbecile; and because fascists just simply don't have any fun unless someone can see them rolling around in poo poo.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

when will elon change his name to xlon mux?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is this why elon named a kid X Æ A-12?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Remember in Glass Onion, Ed Norton's character was going on about how he wants to have his name next to the Mono Lisa? I think that's what Musky is trying to do; he wants it to be when people think/see the letter X, they want to think about him.

Which will probably be true, but not in the way he wants it to be, probably be "that moron, thinking calling all his poo poo X would be cool, loser".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Haleaziz/status/1683540760820617216

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand

Convex posted:

It is an ex bird

It has ceased to be

:laffo:

maybe it's just pining for the fjords!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Super disappointed that we've mentioned X Japan like four times but haven't posted any videos, so everyone please watch this and the maybe blow up Twitter with it or whatever.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 24, 2023

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone posted this version of the logo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I am getting some strong John Romero/Daikatana vibes from this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I see all the 13 year olds now working at Twitter after Republicans rolled back child labor laws are starting to pay off.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Imagine how uncomfortable it would be as a moderately normal human adult to tell a coworker to meet you in "s3Xy"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

imagine getting fired in conference room: s3Xy

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Musk was 100% on a coke binge and went through with this in a 24 hour period, as per Linda’s memo to employees:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/24/read-ceo-linda-yaccarinos-message-to-twitter-staff-about-the-rebrand-to-x.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

They should combine X and Z.
Oh, wait, they're already using that.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
Just completely cargo-culting the phrase, "move fast and break things."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Slotducks posted:

imagine getting fired in conference room: s3Xy

He's absolutely going to hold regular meetings in that room called "s3Xy Time"

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Speleothing posted:

Ahhh, but you see. He didn't just buy Twitter like a loser. He created x. He's a creator and a founder, not just a money guy. This is very important to emphasize that x is a transformation into a new thing that he made and nobody else.

Necromancing this but this is exactly it. He was on a tear this weekend also yelling at people that he didn't INVEST in Tesla, he FOUNDED TESLA. And trying to pretend him being fired for incompetence from Cofinity (later PayPal) was cool actually. He thinks 2 years from now he'll have the worlds biggest website, which he created and owns, and can just pretend he never bought Twitter

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

remember folks, the motto here at xwitter: break fast and move things. now get coding.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Ringo Star Get posted:

I am getting some strong John Romero/Daikatana vibes from this.

ELON MUSK'S ABOUT TO MAKE YOU HIS X

(sidenote i just read john romeros new book and it was pretty good, he talks about everything that happened with ion storm etc)

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/NobleQAli/status/1683546352029163520

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

ELON MUSK'S ABOUT TO MAKE YOU HIS X

(sidenote i just read john romeros new book and it was pretty good, he talks about everything that happened with ion storm etc)

I can imagine Musk running around the office shouting "SUCK IT DOWN!" and laughing hilariously at himself.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Super disappointed that we've mentioned X Japan like four times but haven't posted any videos, so everyone please watch this and the maybe blow up Twitter with it or whatever.

X and Japmetal in general owns. Look at these cool freaks and their crazy anime hairdos :allears:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
This is like that key and Peele sketch. "You're trying to make it a thing aren't you?"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

E the Shaggy posted:

Musk was 100% on a coke binge and went through with this in a 24 hour period, as per Linda’s memo to employees:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/07/24/read-ceo-linda-yaccarinos-message-to-twitter-staff-about-the-rebrand-to-x.html

That memo claims usage is at an all time high, could that possibly be true?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Aramis posted:

I haven't watched cable news in forever, but they (used to?) plaster twitter handles all over the place whenever someone's speaking, which put a ton of wind in the platform's sails. It being a friendly and inoffensive bird made that possible. There is no way whatsoever that CNN & co. are going to pollute their screens with edgy Spike TV whanabe bullcrap.

Few pages back but I get paid to watch TV for a living - survey writing for marketing research - and absolutely. It's loving everywhere. Especially on the Late Night Shows, although with the strike those aren't a factor right now, but it's still on lots of game shows and reality competition shows. And the Bravo reality TV nonsense poo poo use it constantly, too.

I know Musk's been trying to make this a thing for decades, but this particular aspect of that decades-long quest was absolutely the result of some manic episode and not something he planned. Like this is so loving monumentally stupid, even for him, that even with the few sycophants left at Twi - I'm sorry, X - I don't think they'd have let him do it this suddenly if he had talked about it before-hand.

This is the child who told his parents for months he wanted to be a skeleton for Halloween, and then the night before Halloween says he changed his mind and forces his mother to spend all night awake making him a dinosaur costume.
Only come Halloween night, there's still a good chance he'll demand to be a skeleton and that his father make an emergency trip to the store to buy him a skeleton costume.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A Strange Aeon posted:

If you count the bots that they've stopped combatting as usage then yes

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
So, how long until Elon starts referring to himself as the founder of X as if twitter never existed? I give it six months, tops.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

I need to keep my twitter tab open for the blue blocker plugin to do its work

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

To be fair, Musk measures usage in "unregretted usage minutes" and other made-up terms that can mean whatever he wants.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

So, how long until Elon starts referring to himself as the founder of X as if twitter never existed? I give it six months, tops.

His true believers already are trying to sell the narrative he invented twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

6 days would be a more realistic guess.