Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KirbyKhan posted:

Phone posting, Path of Exile lore.

Act 1 through Act 5 is a series of escalations using a grim-dark mid 2000s aesthetic. Every player character is an Exile from the city cast out by the god emperor for petty crimes based on class (deep). I remember witch's and the duelists backgrounds best because Witch was voiced by Lorde, a concurrent New Zealand power player who sang a song from my youthe. Duelist has a silly twirl animation if he casts leap slam while holding a two handed sword.

In Act 3 you kill the god-emporer who is like a god. In Act 4 you murder a mountain using a soul cannon powered by the crystal skulls pried off the god-chief of the Polynesian analog and the god-champion of the arena. In Act 5 you take a swing at Kitava, the God of Hunger, but it's bullshit scripted for him to win and he inflicts your character with a -25% All Resistance debuff that lasts for ever, so Act 6-10 is a victory lap or new game plus retread of the areas previously traveled as you murder some newly resurrected gods claiming the world as their new domain. It is now a revenge story with your new friend Sin, who never betrays you throughout the whole series. This is less important than gathering the souls of the god-emporer homie trio. In Act 10 you murder Innocence, god of purity, so he can be saved by his brother Sin. Then you kill Kitava, The God of Hunger, who gives you an additional -25% All Resistance debuff, which represents what the main character personally sacrificed to save the world and saye their vengeance.

But I like the smaller interpersonal stories and Acts 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 have sweet love stories to reduce down into pitht summaries.

Alternatively, the campaign sucks dick adventure mode when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I would simply stack more resistances and win

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

the innocence murder happens in act5 but otherwise yeah that's accurate

Tru doom murder head

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like Path fo Exile a lot more if I could just roll with stuff instead of needing to pre-plan a build using insane math.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

KirbyKhan posted:

Phone posting, Path of Exile lore.

Act 1 through Act 5 is a series of escalations using a grim-dark mid 2000s aesthetic. Every player character is an Exile from the city cast out by the god emperor for petty crimes based on class (deep). I remember witch's and the duelists backgrounds best because Witch was voiced by Lorde, a concurrent New Zealand power player who sang a song from my youthe. Duelist has a silly twirl animation if he casts leap slam while holding a two handed sword.

In Act 3 you kill the god-emporer who is like a god. In Act 4 you murder a mountain using a soul cannon powered by the crystal skulls pried off the god-chief of the Polynesian analog and the god-champion of the arena. In Act 5 you take a swing at Kitava, the God of Hunger, but it's bullshit scripted for him to win and he inflicts your character with a -25% All Resistance debuff that lasts for ever, so Act 6-10 is a victory lap or new game plus retread of the areas previously traveled as you murder some newly resurrected gods claiming the world as their new domain. It is now a revenge story with your new friend Sin, who never betrays you throughout the whole series. This is less important than gathering the souls of the god-emporer homie trio. In Act 10 you murder Innocence, god of purity, so he can be saved by his brother Sin. Then you kill Kitava, The God of Hunger, who gives you an additional -25% All Resistance debuff, which represents what the main character personally sacrificed to save the world and saye their vengeance.

But I like the smaller interpersonal stories and Acts 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 have sweet love stories to reduce down into pitht summaries.

playing mahjong and learning to fan dance in yakuza ishin rn

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sometime last week I decided that it would be very stupid to make a new character in Baldur's Gate 2.

Maybe I'll get around to loading an old save this week, we'll see.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

bg2 rules and it's never a bad idea to do a playthrough

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just have 39Daph on a second monitor, she just started her BG2 playthrough

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think I need to mention that adnd is dumb as poo poo.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Lostconfused posted:

I think I need to mention that adnd is dumb as poo poo.

wrong

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah that's unfair to dumb shits

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

There are a lot of bad things about ad&d but i think my most hated thing is the weapon levels +1/2/etc and how some enemies are invulnerable to lower level weapons even if you crit. That's stupid. Bg2 is fun herding a bunch of narcoleptics through dungeons though

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!
advanced dungeons and dragons was the best edition until 4e

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

sad but true

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

croup coughfield posted:

When a fighter attains 9th level (becomes a “Lord”), he can automatically attract men-at-arms. These soldiers, having heard of the fighter, come for the chance to gain fame, adventure, and cash. They are loyal as long as they are well-treated, successful, and paid well. Abusive treatment or a disastrous campaign can lead to grumbling, desertion, and possibly mutiny. To attract the men, the fighter must have a castle or stronghold and sizeable manor lands around it. As he claims and rules this land, soldiers journey to his domain, thereby increasing his power. Furthermore, the fighter can tax and develop these lands, gaining a steady income from them. Your DM has information about gaining and running a barony. God help him if he doesn't.

In addition to regular men-at-arms, the 9th-level fighter also attracts an elite bodyguard (his “household guards”). Although these soldiers are still mercenaries, they have greater loyalty to their Lord than do common soldiers. In return, they expect better treatment and more pay than the common soldier receives. Although the elite unit can be chosen randomly, it is better to ask your DM what unit your fighter attracts. This allows him to choose a troop consistent with the campaign. See Table 16: Fighter's Followers.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yep, that's BG2 alright.

Start the game as a fighter and bam, here's your loving castle, gonna have to kill a bunch of trolls thou.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Remnant 2 has a baaaaaaad case of the Whedons

ohhhh nooooooo

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

When a fighter attains 9th level (becomes a “Lord”), he can automatically attract men-at-arms. These soldiers, having heard of the fighter, come for the chance to gain fame, adventure, and cash. They are loyal as long as they are well-treated, successful, and paid well. Abusive treatment or a disastrous campaign can lead to grumbling, desertion, and possibly mutiny. To attract the men, the fighter must have a castle or stronghold and sizeable manor lands around it. As he claims and rules this land, soldiers journey to his domain, thereby increasing his power. Furthermore, the fighter can tax and develop these lands, gaining a steady income from them. Your DM has information about gaining and running a barony. God help him if he doesn't.

In addition to regular men-at-arms, the 9th-level fighter also attracts an elite bodyguard (his “household guards”). Although these soldiers are still mercenaries, they have greater loyalty to their Lord than do common soldiers. In return, they expect better treatment and more pay than the common soldier receives. Although the elite unit can be chosen randomly, it is better to ask your DM what unit your fighter attracts. This allows him to choose a troop consistent with the campaign. See Table 16: Fighter's Followers.

thats badass

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

loving landlord :thermidor:

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
Lisa is a great rpg made by one guy. All the art/programming/music/writing and it being well done is a feat. He just released a remastered version that has the follow up dlc included

Widdly Diddly also is a competitive sword dancer. There’s videos out there but I can’t find them at the moment

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

Lostconfused posted:

loving landlord :thermidor:

thats right

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Stupid Boxes posted:

Lisa is a great rpg made by one guy. All the art/programming/music/writing and it being well done is a feat. He just released a remastered version that has the follow up dlc included

Widdly Diddly also is a competitive sword dancer. There’s videos out there but I can’t find them at the moment

i got u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSud7WAVhcw

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Stupid Boxes posted:

ohhhh nooooooo

Haven't played remnant 2 yet but the dialogue for remnant 1 wasn't very good either.

The story was kinda interesting in broad strokes, and the gameplay was shockingly good (IMHO, the best non-fromsoft souls game I've played), but I skipped a lot of the cutscenes and character interactions

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

PostNouveau posted:

The first mine you take over, the miners come back in and if you talk to them they're like "Well, mining is better than the refuge camp ... sorta"

You're already the bastard. I doubt the game is at some point going to give me the option to bail on the diamond mine-owning plutocrat who hired me and throw in with the communists. May as well lean in on being a bastard.

they gave me control of the communist faction but they seem to consist entirely of 6 guys sitting around at a bar and the only impact it's had so far is people asking me not to steal their chickens. I think he picked me because I showed 3 people a pamphlet

I've kinda been getting a fallout 2 vibe from the game where it's fun and I'm enjoying it but it's also packed with jokes that aren't really landing and a ton of random references that don't fit in

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SomethingBeautiful posted:

they gave me control of the communist faction but they seem to consist entirely of 6 guys sitting around at a bar and the only impact it's had so far is people asking me not to steal their chickens. I think he picked me because I showed 3 people a pamphlet

Yeah that seems about right. Best representation of commies since Disco Elysium.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat the Igor VA in P5 is a real step down from the guy in 3/4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

indigi posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

indigi posted:

I probably shouldn't even be saying this much but there's a reason for that

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

drat horror queefs posted:

Haven't played remnant 2 yet but the dialogue for remnant 1 wasn't very good either.

The story was kinda interesting in broad strokes, and the gameplay was shockingly good (IMHO, the best non-fromsoft souls game I've played), but I skipped a lot of the cutscenes and character interactions

Does remnant's gameplay work better in coop? I played the first one back when it came out and refunded it after beating the first boss, I'm always shocked by the praise I see since I thought it was one of the worst soulslikes I've played.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

hell yeah

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

SomethingBeautiful posted:

I've kinda been getting a fallout 2 vibe from the game where it's fun and I'm enjoying it but it's also packed with jokes that aren't really landing and a ton of random references that don't fit in

that was always the jagged alliance thing. most of the things are a bit above gex tier. some things have made me actually laugh or think it was a neat reference (spoiler for meeting chimurenga with igor: he calls him cheburashka, character from an old soviet children's cartoon but you may never get those.

im not sure the extent of what happens with the communists or any other groups yet but it definitely gets a bit deeper

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

Does remnant's gameplay work better in coop? I played the first one back when it came out and refunded it after beating the first boss, I'm always shocked by the praise I see since I thought it was one of the worst soulslikes I've played.

I would avoid 2 then as it's largely the same formula. it's better coop if you've got a group of friends, it can be pretty punishing solo. pub groups are hit-or-miss as you might expect, it's not dissimilar from playing Left 4 Dead 2 with pubs except with loot

I am honestly not really enjoying my time with it, and I shouldn't be surprised as I didn't like the first one much either. but I'm between games and it fills the gap

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I was enjoying JA3 but already tired of hearing the same lines over and over within even like 2 missions

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Stefan Prodan posted:

I was enjoying JA3 but already tired of hearing the same lines over and over within even like 2 missions

so bossy

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

Cuttlefush posted:

that was always the jagged alliance thing. most of the things are a bit above gex tier. some things have made me actually laugh or think it was a neat reference (spoiler for meeting chimurenga with igor: he calls him cheburashka, character from an old soviet children's cartoon but you may never get those.

im not sure the extent of what happens with the communists or any other groups yet but it definitely gets a bit deeper

Ivan and igor are both great, backbones of my team so far. I was expecting just more action movie trope stuff and not say an entire village that's just a twin peaks reference

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Agnostalgia posted:

Yes it is definitely better with friends. Some of the gimmick bosses are incredibly annoying to solo. But, as another poster said, if you didn't like the first then you probably wouldn't like the second (I hear it's pretty similar)

It probably also helped that I went into remnant 1 with rock-bottom expectations

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I mean co op turns even the most mediocre, dare I even say bad, game into a good game. like scooping your balls out with a rusty spork is pretty miserable solo but it’s fun with friends

my point is yes it’s a good game under co-op but rather mediocre solo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Replace bad whedonesque dialogue with crazy dialogue that seems badly translated.

I'm going to kill Chaos.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
if you live with someone that also enjoys videojuegos I also really recommend the classic kid mode of passing the controller back and forth and actually watching each other play and having someone rooting for you, that can be a lot of fun even if a game isn't co op

my wife and I played through sekiro and some other games that way and it was a cool experience, even though I guess I can't say I beat all the bosses or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

I probably shouldn't even be saying this much but there's a reason for that

no I mean the real one