Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Invincible is more of a superhero world played straight that just happens to have semi-realistic consequences for the high-powered violence, not a mockery of the entire genre. The biggest thing they have in common is a take on Evil Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Looking forward to new the Boys and Invincible seasons is one of the few things stopping me from jumping off my balcony

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
wish they'd hurry up with Invincible s2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Boys is satire.
Invincible is sincere.

Both are good.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mr.Acula posted:

Looking forward to new the Boys and Invincible seasons is one of the few things stopping me from jumping off my balcony

You’ll believe a man could fly.

Invincible is fine, I enjoyed it well enough, but I think I’m full up on any new “Evil Superman” takes. Homelander continues to be the richest version of that, given the political mileage they get out of him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xealot posted:

You’ll believe a man could fly.

Invincible is fine, I enjoyed it well enough, but I think I’m full up on any new “Evil Superman” takes. Homelander continues to be the richest version of that, given the political mileage they get out of him.

Invincible goes to other places than normal with its. It's more Saiyans than Superman as it continues.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sure, hopefully it goes somewhere more complicated. I never read the comics, but I understood the show’s premise to be what if Clark’s dad was Zod and not Jor-El.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BioEnchanted posted:

It was a glorious mess and I loved it. They even did the new-52 Joker variant with the cut-off face well, partially because the actor nailed the character. He was having so much fun. (he was dead for a while so a cult that was worshipping him cut his face off to use as a mask) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMr0DqqS9Fc&t=27s

I love that after he comes back his first question is "where's my face?"

Also there's an episode where Jerome has Bruce Wayne tied to a pole and points a cannon and him, and when the cannon goes off, its full of random sharp objects. It was extremely good Joker stuff.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Xealot posted:

Sure, hopefully it goes somewhere more complicated. I never read the comics, but I understood the show’s premise to be what if Clark’s dad was Zod and not Jor-El.

The comics also started like that but became a kind of "what if we could make a new superhero in a new universe knowing all of what has come before in the history of superhero comics, and do our own take on all of that."

Its one of the few superhero comics I can read because it stays consistent over the course of its run by not constantly switching out writers and artists.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ccs posted:

The comics also started like that but became a kind of "what if we could make a new superhero in a new universe knowing all of what has come before in the history of superhero comics, and do our own take on all of that."

Its one of the few superhero comics I can read because it stays consistent over the course of its run by not constantly switching out writers and artists.

Oh man, Ultimate Spider-Man was that way for a long time and it was so refreshing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Invincible would be better if it took some of the money that probably goes to having an all-star voice cast and put it toward animation. It often looks terrible.

Biggest similarity to The Boys beyond premise is that it also gets super gory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Invincible would be better if it took some of the money that probably goes to having an all-star voice cast and put it toward animation. It often looks terrible.

Invincible is trying to look as much like the comic as it can. Sometimes this doesn't work.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think Invincible's animation/art work really well for it. It lulls you into a false sense of security since it all looks kind of generic. But when the gore and horror kick in, it goes all out in a way that really drives in the themes. The death and destruction are exactly the same things that are happening in any other superhero media — we just see what that would actually do a human body. The main thing that The Boys and Invincible have in common is showing the effects of what superpowers would do to normal people and it is gruesome.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MokBa posted:

I think Invincible's animation/art work really well for it. It lulls you into a false sense of security since it all looks kind of generic. But when the gore and horror kick in, it goes all out in a way that really drives in the themes. The death and destruction are exactly the same things that are happening in any other superhero media — we just see what that would actually do a human body. The main thing that The Boys and Invincible have in common is showing the effects of what superpowers would do to normal people and it is gruesome.

Yeah, the decision to go with screen actors rather than voice actors adds to it as well. Not in the sense that they're bad -- or that typical voice acting actors are bad either. It's more that there's a different vibe to the voice acting. Sandra Oh (Turning Red) Steven Yeun (Tuca and Birdy, Voltron), Gillian Jacobs (Rick and Morty, Ten Year Old Tom), J.K. Simmons are all accomplished voice actors, but they're giving a different kind of performance. It gives the show a slightly more grounded vibe, I think. So that fits with the grim, grounded nature of the piece, like you said.

Even Justin Roiland is very restrained in his role.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It doesn’t move very well but I put that up to how much footage they have to churn out. I’m not sure more money would solve the issue as productions get bottlenecks cause things have to be checked and approved by a limited number of people so time is really what’s more important.

Though maybe if a really stellar studio like TMS/Telecom animated it then it would look nicer.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xealot posted:

That's actually the premise of the Gods & Monsters movie. It's one of the better DC direct-to-video movies that have come out. Up there with the Red Hood movie.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Biggest similarity to The Boys beyond premise is that it also gets super gory.

Yeah, it looked cheap as poo poo, in parts. Really enjoyed it though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I'll say that Invincible didn't really work for me. On the one hand it wants to do light-hearted caping and high school nonsense, while on the other also offering excessive superviolence. Clearly they're trying to leverage the contrast between the two to have the latter be more impactful, but for me it just came off as so dissonant and artificial that it did the opposite. But then again I'm probably not the intended audience as I never was too much into traditional superhero stuff before, either.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 11, 2023

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I don’t know who Invincible was for. It looked and felt like “X Men Evolutions.” Except there was gore and Jason Mantzoukas screeches some waaacky stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Invincible's animation style was deliberately trying to be similar to the 90s and early 2000s Saturday morning super here cartoons. Batman the Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, et al. It works for that nostalgia if you grew up watching those.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Too much teen drama stuff in Invincible. Just give me the Superman bad dad plot. Get on with it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Invincible's animation style was deliberately trying to be similar to the 90s and early 2000s Saturday morning super here cartoons. Batman the Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, et al. It works for that nostalgia if you grew up watching those.

Those shows looked significantly better. Invincible is like Static Shock Zeta Project level

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perestroika posted:

Personally I'll say that Invincible didn't really work for me. On the one hand it wants to do light-hearted caping and high school nonsense, while on the other also offering excessive superviolence. Clearly they're trying to leverage the contrast between the two to have the latter be more impactful, but for me it just came off as so dissonant and artificial that it did the opposite. But then again I'm probably not the intended audience as I never was too much into traditional superhero stuff before, either.

That dissonance is intentional and it's not meant as a contrast. Mark wants the high school nonsense because it's part of normal teenage life, but he can't have it because he's not a normal teenager.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Invincible is also pretty loving brutal. The lead character gets proven not to be several times, complete with hospital stays.

It's good, and has some amazing moments, and JK Simmons is loving outstanding.

Lotta gory deaths and injuries if you are kinda sensitive to that though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's good, and has some amazing moments, and JK Simmons is loving outstanding.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esIW9BhnWt4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gen V, the spinoff, is going to be released in September. No mention of s4.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
S4 is effectively on park until the strike ends, as mentioned by Kripke on Twitter I believe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HebrewMagic posted:

S4 is effectively on park until the strike ends, as mentioned by Kripke on Twitter I believe.

Totally okay that is the case! Everyone on the show deserves a massive amount of money for their work.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Starr deserves a Jaw Emmy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmkLMXN_lpI

Sept 29th

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Looks like a bit of a mess tbh, but you can never tell from a trailer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This feels like it is missing the point of the Boys, but I still want to be hopeful that this show will be really good. I just really want the next season of the Boys already though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I watched the first three episodes last fall as rough draft edits for a focus group. I liked it, and I think it does get the themes of the main show. It's definitely a young adult TV show in some senses, but not so much that it should turn off fans unless you have a very low tolerance. It also feels like it's part of the same universe as the show in terms of writing and production.

I wouldn't say it's as good The Boys, but it's worth watching.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

I watched the first three episodes last fall as rough draft edits for a focus group. I liked it, and I think it does get the themes of the main show. It's definitely a young adult TV show in some senses, but not so much that it should turn off fans unless you have a very low tolerance. It also feels like it's part of the same universe as the show in terms of writing and production.

I wouldn't say it's as good The Boys, but it's worth watching.

Did any of those episodes cover what on earth is going on with the puppets?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT-3vhCl6N4

Homelander will be a DLC Kharacter in the new Mortal Kombat game. Also Peacemaker and Omni-Man from Invincible. (The other 3 are from older MK games)

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 24, 2023

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah that roster was on a leak for a while so now I'm really hoping the rest of it's real and I can tear up Homelander as Ghostface

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Why is the like 25th MK game called, "Mortal Kombat 1"?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Did any of those episodes cover what on earth is going on with the puppets?

No, I think someone's power is transforming into a puppet though.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Xealot posted:

They rebooted it again

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xealot posted:

It really drives me crazy. Especially since the last reboot was called, "Mortal Kombat" to make it clear THAT was the "starting over" reboot.

Mortal Kombat 1 is such a dumb title for this game. But it's already a dumb game series, so whatever, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

It does seem like they're really painting themselves into a corner with the next one, there already being a Mortal Kombat 2 and all.