Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Atlanta also snags a Rangers swingman(?) for cash
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1683517572619149322?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

all powder blue jerseys own, the Phillies ones do too

e: oh also these suck too

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1683469584601612289

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 24, 2023

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I did not expect to read the name Felipe Vasquez in a baseball press release ever again. Why even put that in there?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Why has this trade deadline just been a couple of really bad relievers so far?

C'mon MLB, do something!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Angels....the dumbest franchise
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1683511608427913220?s=20

India would be a great pickup imo
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1683464587083907073?s=20

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Trading Ohtani's the smart move for Anaheim. It's the second biggest L of all-time but the biggest is losing him in free agency for nothing.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Trading your best player while still realistically having a decent chance to make the playoffs is big loser energy/mindset. Goodbye fanbase

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You might as well get something for him, since he’s sure as hell not coming back

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

live with fruit posted:

Trading Ohtani's the smart move for Anaheim. It's the second biggest L of all-time but the biggest is losing him in free agency for nothing.

I am feeling triggered

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Why has this trade deadline just been a couple of really bad relievers so far?

C'mon MLB, do something!

supposedly teams are waiting to see what happens with Ohtani but once we get to the weekend it will probably pick up regardless.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WE ARE NOT GOING TO TRADE HIM GOD drat IT

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Isn't he in his prime?? Why is a team that is ahead of schedule trying to move guys like this?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Why don't they just offer him a 10 yr 600m deal and 15% ownership of the franchise? Seems simple.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Isn't he in his prime?? Why is a team that is ahead of schedule trying to move guys like this?

Because he's not very good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Reds saying India is on the block is baffling to me :psyduck:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Everyone is having too much fun, management knows this will help stop that

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
kinda bummed to lose Vodnik on a reliever rental, maybe mostly because of name tool, but also he’s been solid and looked like he was on an arc to the majors, and that probably gets derailed in the Rockies system. Pierce Johnson seems like he might do fine away from Coors though and there were clearly some arms they’ve been hesitant to rely on despite a ton of injuries so why not shuffle things up.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The Reds have EDLC, McLain, Steer, and CES already up with Noelvi Marte and Jose Barrero cooking in AAA. I think if they can get a premium SP for India it makes sense. Just not sure the return would be there to make it make sense.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:wrong: Those are incredibly good

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I too would love to turn an average-ish 3B who has been playing out of position at 2B into a premium young starter for my team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

The Reds have EDLC, McLain, Steer, and CES already up with Noelvi Marte and Jose Barrero cooking in AAA. I think if they can get a premium SP for India it makes sense. Just not sure the return would be there to make it make sense.

I think you nailed. it. They are loaded with infielders. That's partly why Steer was playing first base while Votto was out.
If the Reds didn't move India (maybe even if they did?), I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Senzel. Not that there's anything great about Senzel, but he's probably a non-tender candidate for them otherwise and maybe there are teams who'd like a cheap right-handed utility player.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

Trading your best player while still realistically having a decent chance to make the playoffs is big loser energy/mindset. Goodbye fanbase

14% odds according to FanGraphs and 9% according to Baseball Reference. I don't think "realistically" is the word. And it's not like the fanbase doesn't know the team sucks. Either way, they're stuck with a declining Trout and one of the worst FA signings of all-time in Rendon. The best case scenario might be the shame of losing Ohtani snapping something in Moreno's brain.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is very funny that Arte was about to cash out this winter and let this Ohtani saga be a headache for the next owner, but instead changed his mind and signed up for one last no-win scenario of his own making.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bregor posted:

Edwin Arroyo is also not too far from the majors

I can see why they might want to trade India for some pitching

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

maffew buildings posted:

Why don't they just offer him a 10 yr 600m deal and 15% ownership of the franchise? Seems simple.

Cut him in on the concessions too. Just loving do whatever is necessary

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would be so bummed if I was a Reds fan and they traded India. I mean, there’s a lot to be excited about with the team but he rules. He’s such a good piece for them in so many ways.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I bet Manfred would veto any player contract that includes an ownership stake. They definitely don’t want to set any kind of worker-ownership precedent.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

tadashi posted:

I think you nailed. it. They are loaded with infielders. That's partly why Steer was playing first base while Votto was out.
If the Reds didn't move India (maybe even if they did?), I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Senzel. Not that there's anything great about Senzel, but he's probably a non-tender candidate for them otherwise and maybe there are teams who'd like a cheap right-handed utility player.

I don’t think Senzel would get much of anything on the market, especially not starting pitching. At least he can play OF, I saw some twitter news about CES or Steer trying a corner OF spot as well but that doesn’t seem like a long term solution.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
An ownership stake in the Angels sounds like a punishment.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels valuation has increased by at least 10x in the 20 years of Arte’s incompetence at the helm. Even a small minority stake would be an absolute boon for a player throughout their retirement.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can y'all please stop triggering me by posting the Titans in Oilers gear?

tia

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The Angels valuation has increased by at least 10x in the 20 years of Arte’s incompetence at the helm. Even a small minority stake would be an absolute boon for a player throughout their retirement.

Ohtani's making $70M this year and is probably going to sign a $600M contract. I think he'll be alright.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

India only league average bat the last couple years per wRC+, that’s a little surprising to me

Still tough to trade him when the team is actually competing

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I hear ya but where he is going to play realistically? He's not great defensively and the Reds have a superior option in all the positions he could play.

He's the perfect person to trade away to get some solid value in return for them.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

I've already sized out a 1993 Piazza jersey and contacted the Dodgers season ticket office. I have no honor pal.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giving $500+ million to one player is insane and whatever team does it will be crippled by the back half of that contract.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AndrewP posted:

India only league average bat the last couple years per wRC+, that’s a little surprising to me

Not if they can get Cease or one of the M's' young pitchers back.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Giving $500+ million to one player is insane and whatever team does it will be crippled by the back half of that contract.

Ohtani brings in more money for the Angels than they pay him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

I said it before but just front load it like crazy. 80 million year on down to like 40 at the end

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AndrewP posted:

He's not great defensively, either, and they have a ton of guys who are younger and may potentially be better. Plus, Newman is above replacement level quality, I think.

It makes sense to try and deal him for a starter, which would make a world of difference for them.

Also, I didn't realize Friedl had been that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I said it before but just front load it like crazy. 80 million year on down to like 40 at the end

is it possible to structure it like 90m year 1, 10m year 2, 90m year 3, etc etc so you can reset the tax every year