Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

Won't the iMac Pro have just as much support as the tower Mac Pro? Saying because it would be nice as a collectible to have the last intel build natively running on it.

No, the iMac Pro will likely lose support 1-2 years before the 2019 (7,1) Mac Pro does. The Xeon W (Skylake) in the iMac Pro will see Intel's security support likely dropped in either late 2023 or early 2024, so Sonoma could very well be the last release or next-to-last release macOS-wise.

Comparatively, the Xeon W (Cascade Lake) in the 7,1 Mac Pro will likely see Intel security support until late 2025 or early 2026, so I'd expect macOS new feature* support probably through either the 2025 release or the 2026, with security updates for two years after that.

It's not exactly 1:1 or guaranteed that Apple stops supporting an Intel Mac once Intel drops support, but it's become an interesting coincidence recently.

* We're already seeing feature segmentation between Intel and Apple Silicon Macs with Sonoma, so this will likely continue until all Intel Macs have support dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Interesting but not surprising observations on my 2012 MBP(not retina) battery that I recently had to replace.

1)Replacement genuine used battery with ~950 cycles is still holding 90% charge. Verified with 6 full charge/recharge cycles that it is indeed holding a good charge and not just the OS reporting wrong.
2)Replacement genuine used battery actually charges faster than a new battery. Make sense if it holds less charge but I never thought about it that way.
3)Prior old genuine battery was triggering MacOS 'service battery' mode and making the Mac run painfully slow. New replacement 3rd party battery was not able to 'kick' the Mac out of this slow low power limp mode. I had to buy another known good genuine battery to get out of this limp mode but once I cleared it the 3rd party battery worked great and holds a really good charge.

Gonna hook this up to to the 30in Cinema Display I got out of a dumpster and turn it into my WFH daily.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I recently picked up an 8-in-1 anker USB-c dock for my m2 macbook air, and the hdmi connection will intermittently disconnect. The other peripherals plugged into the dock maintain connection, but on both Dell monitors i have, the screen will go black for a second then display a "searching for signal message" for a couple seconds before it automatically reconnects. I dont recall having this issue with my old apple 3-in-1 dock (which also sucked and was capped at 60hz for a 1440p monitor). Is this a known issue with these docks?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Head Bee Guy posted:

I recently picked up an 8-in-1 anker USB-c dock for my m2 macbook air, and the hdmi connection will intermittently disconnect. The other peripherals plugged into the dock maintain connection, but on both Dell monitors i have, the screen will go black for a second then display a "searching for signal message" for a couple seconds before it automatically reconnects. I dont recall having this issue with my old apple 3-in-1 dock (which also sucked and was capped at 60hz for a 1440p monitor). Is this a known issue with these docks?

My dock intermittently disconnects as well. It is a belkin I beleive

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Head Bee Guy posted:

Might be a loose connection? I’ve had that issue with an Anker Thunderbolt hub on occasion, either the hub itself or one of my cables has a real sensitive connection that has to sit just right for it to hold. Sometimes I’ll hit the desk on accident and it’ll disconnect and reconnect a couple seconds later.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Head Bee Guy posted:

Sometimes when I'm using my macbook air with my Dell monitors and I'm also charging through the dock, the HDMI will intermittently disconnect but it basically stops when it's fully charged. Try charging your laptop fully and then using the dock.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Head Bee Guy posted:

HDMI converter chips are a shitshow, they'll overheat, they'll glitch out, they'll have hotplug problems, etc. If you've got a spare downstream USB-C on that dock, try getting a different USB-C to HDMI converter dongle and plugging it into that.

HDMI Alt Mode does not exist in reality (there's a paper spec but nobody implements it) so all Thunderbolt, USB-C, and DP docks/dongles/cables need to use an active converter chip. And because they have to move such large amounts of bandwidth, and because they're poo poo-rear end chips designed to be stuffed into converters that have to hit a $5 or $10 price point, they're just awful.

my fancy name-brand Dell thunderbolt dock (using a dell laptop) at a previous job would randomly glitch out about 10% of the time when you plugged in the dock, if you were using the HDMI 2.0 port at full speeds (HDMI 1.4 was fine). it would generally reset if you unplugged and replugged the monitor cable but it's not meant for doing that 20 times a day either. they got me a replacement and the second one did the same thing too, so I attributed it to being a quirk of the converter chip and started using native displayport.

That would be my recommendation... if your monitors have DP inputs, use them.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 25, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nobody is going to like the answer, but it's, "Spend $200-$300 on a fancy CalDigit Thunderbolt4 Dock".

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

finally bit the bullet and am upgrading my 2015 MacBook pro 13 inch to a M2 Pro 14 inch in the best color (silver). I went base model, because I did research and realized the whole drive speed issue is insane and built around you tubers who love to run benchmarks versus actually do any real world work. (also, coming from an SSD from 2015 the read and write speeds of the "slow bad" drive are laughably fast).

used the education discount and on my new apple card paying 0% APR for a year which is great. Also got the matte black Dbrand skin for the bottom top, and palm rest. Next up waiting for the M3 mini pro so I can upgrade from my 2015 iMac retina.

Hoping to get 5+ years out of the this laptop (90% of what I do is word processing/web/email/music listening, the other 10% is graphic design for indie book covers with Infinity Photo, so I think I'll be fine). I am playing with AI art, but long term will probably build a PC for that.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 24, 2023

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

Nobody is going to like the answer, but it's, "Spend $200-$300 on a fancy CalDigit Thunderbolt4 Dock".

I just got a dell usb-c to display port dock and have been using a DP line to my other 4k monitor, which works and looks great.

Moving the monitor arm for my 1440p monitor (now relegated to gaming rig duties) out of the way to main the 4k looks kinda goofy, but the setup works well enough.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corb3t posted:

What about the $70 usb-c to av multiadapter (hdmi 2, usb-c, usb-a) that Apple sells?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mister Facetious posted:

What about the $70 usb-c to av multiadapter (hdmi 2, usb-c, usb-a) that Apple sells?

typical apple, it's overpriced (at one point they were just using one of the apple watch chips as a soft-converter lol) but one of the best adapters out there, it does HDR and everything, and I'd expect that to just work.

there are some Cable Matters ones that are supposedly good too but you may need to update the firmware

generally the apple store's accessories section only carries stuff that works, you don't have to buy it there but it's a good quality signal of things that have passed Apple's sniff test.

Corb3t posted:

yeah HDMI output just isn't something I'd expect to be 100% reliable on a $20 USB-C dock... especially HDMI 2.0/2.1

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 26, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah HDMI output just isn't something I'd expect to be 100% reliable on a $20 USB-C dock... especially HDMI 2.0/2.1

They're pretty much all hdmi 1.4 from reading the fine print

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
So I’ve got a 2015 iMac 5K that was given to me by a friend, and it’s been a great family computer, but the SMC’s been acting flaky. A few months ago it ramped the fans to full speed at boot and wouldn’t stop until I unplugged the machine for more than an hour, after which point it acted like nothing happened. But this past week it’s failed to come out of sleep twice, and I’ve had to unplug and replug again to make it come back. Should I be concerned, or is this simply Old Mac Trouble?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've worked on those! The clock is running out on that iMac. I can't say how long it has but start setting funds aside for a replacement. I'm not sure if that's a power supply or logic board issue, but something important is failing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My mom needs new MacBook. I want to go used. Definitely AS so it will last. What's the cheapest 15" AS MacBook on the used market? She only needs it for web.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

My mom needs new MacBook. I want to go used. Definitely AS so it will last. What's the cheapest 15" AS MacBook on the used market? She only needs it for web.

there aren't any. 15" Macbook Air just came out like a month ago

There's
13" Macbook Air (M1=cheapest, old Macbook Air design from 2018, can still be had new or refurb for not much more than used; M2=newest, newest design)
14" Macbook Pro (M1P=cheapest)
16" Macbook Pro (M1P=cheapest)
13" Macbook Pro (M1=cheapest, don't buy this one. Don't even look at these. They suck and they use an outdated-rear end chassis and you're better off getting an Air or one of the "real" Pros)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

mllaneza posted:

I've worked on those! The clock is running out on that iMac. I can't say how long it has but start setting funds aside for a replacement. I'm not sure if that's a power supply or logic board issue, but something important is failing.

That’s what I was afraid of, but thank you for saying so. Given the lax demands placed on it I’ll probably not replace it with another Mac for now, and just back it up, then repurpose a little Intel N100 NUC-alike and a small monitor for the part instead. I appreciate it, and will wipe the drive clean and hand it off to somebody locally with caveats noted.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

That’s what I was afraid of, but thank you for saying so. Given the lax demands placed on it I’ll probably not replace it with another Mac for now, and just back it up, then repurpose a little Intel N100 NUC-alike and a small monitor for the part instead. I appreciate it, and will wipe the drive clean and hand it off to somebody locally with caveats noted.

M2 Mac Mini can be had new for $599/$499 at Costco with $80 coupon until July 30/$499 thru Apple edu store, tho you'll probably prefer one in the $799-$999 loaded with 512gb and/or 16gb (Costco's $80 deal applies to all Macs it seems, so there's also 8gb RAM/512gb storage for $689, etc.

There's also places blowing out $1400 M1 iMacs for ~$1k, tho they might be Apple refurbs (which is totally great, indistinguishable from new, etc)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

M2 Mac Mini can be had new for $599/$499 at Costco with $80 coupon until July 30/$499 thru Apple edu store, tho you'll probably prefer one in the $799-$999 loaded with 512gb and/or 16gb (Costco's $80 deal applies to all Macs it seems, so there's also 8gb RAM/512gb storage for $689, etc.

There's also places blowing out $1400 M1 iMacs for ~$1k, tho they might be Apple refurbs (which is totally great, indistinguishable from new, etc)

I appreciate that. I’ll consider it, but given current finances and my buying an Air just a couple of months ago it’s more likely I’ll toss a 1080p165 monitor and that SFF PC into service in the near term after backing up the iMac. Longer term… we’ll see what M3 brings. Thank you again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Funny but workable option is to use your Steam Deck, if you have one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

there aren't any. 15" Macbook Air just came out like a month ago

There's
13" Macbook Air (M1=cheapest, old Macbook Air design from 2018, can still be had new or refurb for not much more than used; M2=newest, newest design)
14" Macbook Pro (M1P=cheapest)
16" Macbook Pro (M1P=cheapest)
13" Macbook Pro (M1=cheapest, don't buy this one. Don't even look at these. They suck and they use an outdated-rear end chassis and you're better off getting an Air or one of the "real" Pros)

Thanks. I’m just gonna give her a spare 2015 mbp15 I have and wait to switch to AS.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just got my m2 MacBook Pro 14… and it’s the best computer I’ve ever had. This screen is stunning. Blown away by it in hand on my desk. Question, for first charge, should I run it down to red before I charge it up, or just charge it now, or does it matter at all?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

LionArcher posted:

Just got my m2 MacBook Pro 14… and it’s the best computer I’ve ever had. This screen is stunning. Blown away by it in hand on my desk. Question, for first charge, should I run it down to red before I charge it up, or just charge it now, or does it matter at all?

Running batteries down on first use is a not a thing anymore, at least for general computing devices (phones, laptops, etc). The device will mostly manage its battery on its own, and you shouldn't worry about it. Apple has some pretty fancy battery management: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211832

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Running batteries down on first use is a not a thing anymore, at least for general computing devices (phones, laptops, etc). The device will mostly manage its battery on its own, and you shouldn't worry about it. Apple has some pretty fancy battery management: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211832

That’s what I thought just double checking. Amazing machine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

followup on this, HDMI 2.1/4K120 is working! actually it also even works on an intel MBP, although it causes the AMD dGPU to run at 20W just at the desktop. I haven't exhaustively tested the stability under prolonged use, but I didn't notice any immediate problems other than the fan ramp-up on Intel. Apple silicon is not bothered.

the update process is annoying, and it requires a windows machine with a thunderbolt video output to update the firmware and then applying a custom EDID to force it to DisplayPort transport mode. And I'd probably recommend emailing them (sales@cablematters.com) just to check the exact firmware for your exact model. But fwiw here's the updater and an edited EDID for the LG C1. You want to update to the 6.03.002 firmware (the larger one) even though the other one (my backup rom) is 6.03.133... not sure what's up with their version numbering lol.

I guess ninja move is just put the updater on a USB stick, take the cable matters adapter and put a HDMI dummy plug in it, and flash the adapter at costco on a laptop with thunderbolt :v: even with a NUC7i7 (pretty basic windows reference hardware!) I couldn't get it to see the adapter unless the adapter was actually running, with windows update drivers (GPU/thunderbolt/chipset?) installed. Windows Basic Driver wasn't enough.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 26, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My PC died recently and I am considering a Mac to replace it since I don’t really game any more but I do a fair bit of hobbyist coding, music and video production. Currently eyeing the M2 Mac Mini Pro and wondering if I should upgrade to the 32GB of RAM.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

My PC died recently and I am considering a Mac to replace it since I don’t really game any more but I do a fair bit of hobbyist coding, music and video production. Currently eyeing the M2 Mac Mini Pro and wondering if I should upgrade to the 32GB of RAM.

If you’re planning on long haul keeping it then maybe. How much storage?

Past a certain point of tacking on upgrades it’s a better bang/buck to just get a base Mac Studio

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re planning on long haul keeping it then maybe. How much storage?

Past a certain point of tacking on upgrades it’s a better bang/buck to just get a base Mac Studio

Terabyte of storage. I need at least enough space for a VJ set on the internal drive. I’ve heard mixed things about externals for that application. And yeah with the storage and RAM I’m getting into Studio territory.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Terabyte of storage. I need at least enough space for a VJ set on the internal drive. I’ve heard mixed things about externals for that application. And yeah with the storage and RAM I’m getting into Studio territory.

Yeah you’re basically spending Mac Studio money for a computer with way fewer ports and way worse GPU/somewhat worse CPU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What ports do I lose besides the front SD? From what I can see the M2 Pro has parity with the Studio.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

What ports do I lose besides the front SD? From what I can see the M2 Pro has parity with the Studio.

you lose the two usbc (not thunderbolt i don’t think tho i could be wrong) ports on the front two and the ports are spaced better. the mini is very crowded if you need to use all the ports and it’s a pain

tho this a bigger deal with the usb a ports i think

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I've already got two powered hubs for USB A so that shouldn't be an issue.
I am also kinda price sensitive since I have 0 computer right now and 0 money. So I'm counting how many pay cheques until I can afford a new computer and adding another grand just means more time without a computer.
My current posting rig is a iPad mini 6 with USB C dock.
Probably just going for the base mini Pro. I don't know enough about what increased GPU performance would really do for me on AS.
My performance workload has typically been Resolume, Rekordbox and OBS concurrently. My last PC just barely handled it, but that thing had like an 8th gen CPU.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah i mean i’m not trying to tell you what to do only pointing out the ports thing. i’m pretty happy with my basic bitch mini otherwise. also consider if you’re on the fence about a particular upgrade that you can take the computer back within the first bit and re buy it with an upgrade if you need it

relatedly i am moderately skeptical that a thunderbolt port couldn’t handle the bandwidth you need for external storage but since i don’t livestream my word ain’t worth much on that end

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Also keep in mind Apple offers 24 month interest free financing - if you have 0 computer now and 0 money it’s probably worth considering if you can comfortably pay the computer off within the 24 months. Especially if it’s for work stuff.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I've already got two powered hubs for USB A so that shouldn't be an issue.
I am also kinda price sensitive since I have 0 computer right now and 0 money. So I'm counting how many pay cheques until I can afford a new computer and adding another grand just means more time without a computer.

You wouldn't be adding another grand though, it's $300 assuming you're going for 32GB RAM:

M2 Pro mini 32GB / 1TB: $1899
M2 Max studio 32GB / 1TB: $2199

$300 is not nothing, but to many the extras it buys are well worth it. YMMV

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Also keep in mind Apple offers 24 month interest free financing - if you have 0 computer now and 0 money it’s probably worth considering if you can comfortably pay the computer off within the 24 months. Especially if it’s for work stuff.

The payment option depends on where you're at I think? In the US, it's just 12 months, interest free, for Macs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BobHoward posted:

You wouldn't be adding another grand though, it's $300 assuming you're going for 32GB RAM:

this^^

and buying thru the Apple edu store or from a third party seller like Costco or BH during a sale can bring that price down a bunch too

M2 Pro Mini makes sense if you can keep it below like $1600 IMO (there’s a Costco deal thru 7/31 that takes $200 off the 512gb and 1tb M2 Pro Mini with 16gb of RAM, btw)

At $1800+ the additional $300 spend to go to $2100 will buy you hardware longevity down the road. The extra CPU cores and much more capable GPU will make themselves apparent in a couple of years as your computer ages.

If you plan to flip the Mini in three years or less then that might not matter a whole lot to you, but be aware that heavily built up Macs rarely get an equitable amount of consideration on the resale market (ie a three year old M2 Pro Mac Mini that cost $1800 new with a bunch of options is going to sell more like one that cost $1200 than it will reflect its original sticker price, vs trying to sell a base model Mac Studio, and so forth. Apple likes to really overcharge on BTO RAM and storage but you can’t rly roll that cost onto the next buyer. This is why some Mac goons get the most base-spec computer they can and just plan to resell every 12-24 months rather than plow a bunch of upgrades into a MBP/etc)

Also the rumor is that the M3 models are gonna get ray tracing hardware, along with a bunch of other big upgrades in the 3nm switch, so maybe it’s worth waiting a short bit if you want, or trying to make do with the cheapest computer you can flip in 1-2 years time. IDK.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 31, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BobHoward posted:

when I was looking at refurbs, an M2 pro 32gb/1tb mini with 10gbe was almost identical price to the M1 max 32gb/1tb studio.

so essentially it comes down to whether you'd rather have M1 max or M2 pro for similar money, at least as long as you would have selected 10gbe anyway (since the studio comes with that as baseline).

if you wanted 10gbe too I think the M2 Pro Mini would probably only be like $100 or $50 cheaper than the M2 Max Studio.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also the rumor is that the M3 models are gonna get ray tracing hardware, along with a bunch of other big upgrades in the 3nm switch, so maybe it’s worth waiting a short bit if you want, or trying to make do with the cheapest computer you can flip in 1-2 years time. IDK.

m3 pro/max probably aren't coming until next spring, right? if they want a base M3 mini that's fine but it'll probably still only do the single display (I don't see apple changing that since the base M1 basically is a crossover between tablet and ultraportable laptop, it's a small chip) and only have 4 p-cores etc

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

My guess would be that M3 Pro/Max could probably debut any time between late Q4 2023 - early Q2 2023, whenever the updated MBPs are released. The MBP M1 Pro/Max was October 2021, but of course the M2 Pro/Max update was January 2023. Typically though I think Apple likes to update the MBPs in the October/November time frame, so I wouldn't be surprised if they released updated MBPs in late November/early December with release and delivery before Christmas.