Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vermain posted:

a lot of older classics are replayment roughies after decades of genre refinement and technology changes. like, dark souls 1 was a genuine classic and a significant RE4-level influence on the modern gaming landscape, but playing it today feels like you're slowly driving a person-shaped shopping cart around while enemies swing at you with all the speed and ferocity of a sliding door at a mall

Dark Souls 1 plays fine today. You want to talk about genre-defining clunkers, Phantasy Star Online, the original, is a fully 3D game whose camera controls are as follows:
  • L1: Recenter camera behind character

• No, really, that's all you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fortunately with your hacked Spread Needle +99, all you had to do was walk into a room and hold down shoot.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

a lot of older classics are replayment roughies after decades of genre refinement and technology changes. like, dark souls 1 was a genuine classic and a significant RE4-level influence on the modern gaming landscape, but playing it today feels like you're slowly driving a person-shaped shopping cart around while enemies swing at you with all the speed and ferocity of a sliding door at a mall
Have you tried Dark Souls 1 recently? It doesn't feel significantly different from Elden Ring aside from the lack of diagonal dodging.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The 7th Guest posted:

x-men has several good games huh

the old wolverine game was fun because the movie it was based on was rated PG-13 (and crap) so Logan couldn't really live up to his character, but the game was rated M, which meant he could do poo poo like this:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

should've brought up king's field

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The 7th Guest posted:

other good x games

X-Men Legends
XCOM
XIII
Xuan Yuan Sword series
Xanadu Next
Xenotilt
Xenogunner
Xmas Lemmings

Xexyz was pretty sweet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

the old wolverine game was fun because the movie it was based on was rated PG-13 (and crap) so Logan couldn't really live up to his character, but the game was rated M, which meant he could do poo poo like this:

Is Sony working on a new Wolverine game or did I imagine that?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately with your hacked Spread Needle +99, all you had to do was walk into a room and hold down shoot.

Pffft. I made it all the way to Ult difficulty with a lvl 60-70 HUcast using gush raygun and Soul Eater.

Why did I do this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Is Sony working on a new Wolverine game or did I imagine that?

Insomniac is, but it's been backburnered (marketing-wise at least) for Spider-Man 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I had a max level HUnewearl and FOnewearl in the original PSO & ver 2.0 and then maxed out another FOney and RAmarl in Blue Burst. Never did find a Psycho Wand, it was something like a 1/10,000 drop from the rare lilies for my Section ID.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

Have you tried Dark Souls 1 recently? It doesn't feel significantly different from Elden Ring aside from the lack of diagonal dodging.

it's mostly the turning speed that gets me, though this may well be due to later titles implementing digital vs. analog inputs better than PtDE did

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goddamn Spider-man is as good as I remembered it
https://i.imgur.com/dBoYMZM.mp4

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I played a couple minutes of PS1 Kings Field the other day and had my marbles mixed when I remembered how movement functioned. L1 up L2 down Right Analog turns you left and right and moves you back and forward. Very goofy. Luckily a squid killed me

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

it's mostly the turning speed that gets me, though this may well be due to later titles implementing digital vs. analog inputs better than PtDE did
Do you mean using the keyboard and mouse or something? With a controller it feels the same as all the other ones to me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

Do you mean using the keyboard and mouse or something? With a controller it feels the same as all the other ones to me.

yeah, the DS engine has fine-grained turns with the analog stick as its baseline assumption. it's what i figured out as to why i loved DS2's controls but a lot of my friends hated it: DS2 took digital inputs as a baseline, so there were dead zones where you couldn't turn incrementally on an analog stick that i never noticed due to using WASD and mouselook to move about

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Ah. I'm fairly sure they fixed that mouse issue in the Remaster, and for PTDE there's a MouseFix mod.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

Ah. I'm fairly sure they fixed that mouse issue in the Remaster, and for PTDE there's a MouseFix mod.

i played with mousefix back in the day, but that was IIRC mostly for smoothing mouselook and handling issues with LMB/RMB inputs

i admittedly last played DS1 about two years back, and i'll be doing an ER run with a friend in a month or two, though, so i'll give PtDE with 60 FPS + mousefix a fair shake after that for recomparison

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought you were talking about the mouselook being limited to the max speed of the analog sticks which is what I thought the mousefix was for. In any case I don't think PTDE with KB+M is very representative of anything - it's a straight port of the PS3 version and was never really intended to support KB+M in the first place. I didn't know anyone really played it that way. I actually bought my first XBox controller for the PC just so I could play it when it came out.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

I thought you were talking about the mouselook being limited to the max speed of the analog sticks which is what I thought the mousefix was for. In any case I don't think PTDE with KB+M is very representative of anything - it's a straight port of the PS3 version and was never really intended to support KB+M in the first place. I didn't know anyone really played it that way. I actually bought my first XBox controller for the PC just so I could play it when it came out.

nah, that's entirely fair; i'm so thoroughly invested in the KB+M ecosystem that it's sometimes hard to remember that i'm in the minority for these sorts of game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

nah, that's entirely fair; i'm so thoroughly invested in the KB+M ecosystem that it's sometimes hard to remember that i'm in the minority for these sorts of game

there are dozens of us

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Vermain posted:

KB+M brain represent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More console games should have KB+M support

Namely all FPS games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should have light gun support.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vermain posted:

yeah, the DS engine has fine-grained turns with the analog stick as its baseline assumption. it's what i figured out as to why i loved DS2's controls but a lot of my friends hated it: DS2 took digital inputs as a baseline, so there were dead zones where you couldn't turn incrementally on an analog stick that i never noticed due to using WASD and mouselook to move about

that loving thing is one of the many reasons DS2 is the worst of anything ever. Spinning the stick in a circle shouldn't make you walk in a square

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

on my pc controller I could get the kick / jump attack to work maybe 20% of the time

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2 was the best one until Dark Souls 2 2 came out

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The directional snapping is annoying but it's not that bad. It didn't stop me from beating it four times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

They should have light gun support.

Not really possible with today's TVs. Maybe? I think the console needs internal hardware to support it? There is this coming out eventually someday https://polymega.com/ that has a lightgun peripheral, and the console is designed to play Sega CD, Saturn, and PlayStation 1 games. But I am not entirely sure how exactly they make this possible. I just know retro light gun games do not work on modern TVs, and this makes me sad because I still love playing Sega Saturn games, which has many light gun games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The game just feels like garbage, like an action RPG that came out for the original Xbox

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
six ages 2 has a release date now, august 21

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Based on this video it looks like they put a visual reference on the screen, then the controller has a camera in it that lets the console calculate where it was aimed. So it's not exactly how lightguns used to work, but close enough that it can be used to control original lightgun games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

six ages 2 has a release date now, august 21

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ImWihO2wL8

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Skeleton content already off the charts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the lights goin out, cloud

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Based on this video it looks like they put a visual reference on the screen, then the controller has a camera in it that lets the console calculate where it was aimed. So it's not exactly how lightguns used to work, but close enough that it can be used to control original lightgun games

That looks really cool and accurate! I really want this console, just first waiting to see if it can actually play roms/backups. The website claims this isn't possible, but it might be like the Analogue Pocket, and other consoles that Analogue makes, where they are like " ;) ;) ;) YOU CANT PLAY BACKUPS / ROMS OFF THE SD CARD SLOT DONT TRY ;) ;) ;) "

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What would be really cool would be if they could get it to work with bias lights, so it doesn't have to occupy screen real estate but can also disappear when not in use

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

in celebration of X, what is everyones favorite game that starts with X

mine is Xenoblade Chronicles X because it has two Xs in it

X-Edge, one of several weird crossover RPGs that came out during its era. This one had Disgaea, Darkstalkers, and Ar Tonelico!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Just because i have no one to say this to, wow stardew valley is a great game. I grew up on harvest moon 64 and it really hits that ADHD do a task to not do another task sweet spot.

I love the little coal monsters in the mine that you kill for coal. They're so cute. Imagine if that was how we mined coal in real life? It would be even more traumatic. Only thing it's missing is the little elf/gnome guys from harvest moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/TEKKEN/status/1683388310972923909

I cant remember if I signed up or not back in June, if you didnt sign up then you're poo poo out of luck, there's no way to get into this next phase. I just want a release date already though.