Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GreenNight posted:

You'd think? The tech guy at the ISP said that only sales can turn our account back on because they basically have to create a new order and a new account. And there is no on call or weekend work for sales. So we're down until sales comes in on Monday and then who the gently caress knows how long.

Billing departments take a special delight in cancelling services on Friday afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

xzzy posted:

Don't laugh at pronunciation, it just means they read it and have never talked out loud about it. :colbert:

me, who once called the web server "engeenix" and was made to feel like poo poo about it.

That's fair, I definitely didn't mean any harm by it, it genuinely just caught me off guard.

NGINX is one of those things I was mentally pronouncing like "N-Gihn-icks" until I was watching some youtuber talk about it and felt very silly.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s spelled stupid as hell so pronounce it any way you want imo

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Don't laugh at pronunciation, it just means they read it and have never talked out loud about it. :colbert:
Eh, there's still a range that's reasonable and then a range that's unreasonable.

Pronouncing a word incorrectly but still in a way that makes sense in either the language being spoken or the speaker's native language, like calling a router "rooter" or pronouncing nginx "en-jinx". No problem, good effort. Likewise for not knowing those unwritten nicknames like "Sequel" for SQL.

Pronouncing it in a way that makes no sense in any language ever to exist, like calling Kali "kayla", is not the same.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
"nukeular" is the correct way to say it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

tokin opposition posted:

"nukeular" is the correct way to say it

I honestly can't hear the difference on this word and can't tell if i'm just a huge moron cause I never heard anyone pronounce it the "correct" way

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

noo-que-lar
new-clear

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Internet Explorer posted:

noo-que-lar
new-clear

Sounds the same to me boss.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It doesn't look like anything to me

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have never felt so bad about mispronouncing something in my life than the time I was at some party that had a bunch of anime nerds. I mentioned that I wasn’t big into anime and had only seen the main stream ones like DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun (Prounced Tri-gun like trigonometry) I was absolutely blasted by these nerdos. “Oh you mean TRIGUN?!?” with the most derision possible. That interaction has haunted me for years. At least it’s good knowing that I have a wife and sleep in a big bed with her.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

all fandoms are bad, but anime fandoms are the king of the turd mountain

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Having lived in England, New Zealand, and Canada (the French part), and worked with people from all over the world, I've come to the conclusion that there is no correct way to pronounce any word in the English language.

Anyone who disagrees is a pedant that hates the most powerful aspect of this dumb mongrel language

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

see queue el

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the only dumb and wrong pronunciation is how americans say zee and not zed

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Anime is good and I want to be one with the wired

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anime are just cartoons that happen to be of a style that originated in japan

its the fans that are the problem

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

tokin opposition posted:

Anime is good and I want to be one with the wired

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Anime is fine/good, anyone I’ve ever met irl who wants to talk about anime has been the worst/bad

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

Eh, there's still a range that's reasonable and then a range that's unreasonable.

Pronouncing a word incorrectly but still in a way that makes sense in either the language being spoken or the speaker's native language, like calling a router "rooter" or pronouncing nginx "en-jinx". No problem, good effort. Likewise for not knowing those unwritten nicknames like "Sequel" for SQL.

Pronouncing it in a way that makes no sense in any language ever to exist, like calling Kali "kayla", is not the same.

SQL is pronounced "Squirrel" just to annoy my DBA. Queries are questions, so "Hey Andrzej can you write me a quick squirrel question" is a legitimate ask.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

App13 posted:

Anime is fine/good, anyone I’ve ever met irl who wants to talk about anime has been the worst/bad

This is a fair take. Most of it isn’t for me, but this statement is a truism so far as I’m concerned

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Looking to streamline off-boarding a bit and I haven't really had to deal with OneDrive for Business previously so checking in to see what others are doing.

In previous jobs we've converted mailboxes to shared mailboxes and given access to whomever needed it, not sure what the couple businesses that used OneDrive had happen with that side of it.

Present job changes the Site Admin for the users OneDrive profile to another person that needs access to the files (such as incoming employee) and then converts the mailbox to shared; at least I think this is the process they follow, I'm confirming later today.

We also disable the on-prem user.

Is there a better way to handle this?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 24, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
We just let that bad boy disappear after 93 days, no files, no problems bay-beeeee

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ISP at work is finally back up. The geniuses at the ISP are great. We put in a cancelation order for services at the telco and they just canceled our entire account instead.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Kubernetes is kinda cool sometimes. A colleague of mine accidentally terminated all the nodes in one of our primary EKS clusters when updating the list of valid machine types in the node pool, which required deleting and recreating them. Reasonable mistake, we’ve all done something similar, you live and learn.

Within about ten minutes, with no need for manual intervention* on our part (since terraform did recreate the node pools when it was done deleting them), all our services were back up, provisioned, configured, scaled, and working correctly with nary a thing to do on my end.

*I did have to force boot a rabbitmq cluster but it’s a dependency for a non-critical process so nyaaaah.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 24, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Antioch posted:

SQL is pronounced "Squirrel" just to annoy my DBA. Queries are questions, so "Hey Andrzej can you write me a quick squirrel question" is a legitimate ask.

You jest but I pronounce it "skyewl." It started as a joke but I reprogrammed my brain on accident and now I can't stop saying it years after anyone privy to the original conversation is gone.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

GreenNight posted:

ISP at work is finally back up. The geniuses at the ISP are great. We put in a cancelation order for services at the telco and they just canceled our entire account instead.

Lol what the gently caress. How To Lose A Customer 101

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Let's do it at 4pm on a Friday and then gently caress off for the weekend too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Have had this or something like this happen way more than I would ever like to think about again.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Those were some of the worst calls I'd take when doing ISP helpdesk a bazillion years ago. It didn't help that a lot of that poo poo is data entry into archaic systems like "cabledata" back then, which meant punching in a 5 instead of a 3 would indicate a full service termination

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah tech support was great, not so great was that no one could fix it who was on call.

We put in the cancel order for services at our colo 3 months ago.

At least now I have the cell phone number of our acct rep.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah tech support was great, not so great was that no one could fix it who was on call.

We put in the cancel order for services at our colo 3 months ago.

At least now I have the cell phone number of our acct rep.

Anyone who can fix anything has office hours only as their first order of business at places with customer facing tech support.

A good quarter of my calls are just telling people they’re SoL until Monday or the morning.

I mainly feel bad for Hawaiian customers who have to get up at the crack of dawn just to call someone about their poo poo not working

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

tehinternet posted:

We just let that bad boy disappear after 93 days, no files, no problems bay-beeeee

gently caress that, you get 60 days to go through your employee’s email and files, if requested. Otherwise, account gets removed nearly instantly upon term, to sit in the deleted users for the 30 days.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

devmd01 posted:

gently caress that, you get 60 days to go through your employee’s email and files, if requested. Otherwise, account gets removed nearly instantly upon term, to sit in the deleted users for the 30 days.

I’d have to double check I guess but I remember it being 93. Admittedly nobody at the org I’m at gives a poo poo/thinks about that kind of stuff til it’s too late despite being warned.

whered the important document that the whole company used that we kept in a personal onedrive because we’re idiots gooooooo

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

devmd01 posted:

I think the default is 30 days after deletion to recover, right?

I have onedrives and email backed up to a NAS but yeah, normal user accounts just get deleted and I don’t offer email or onedrive access unless requested, just set to shared with an auto response saying they are no longer with the company for 30 days and then it’s deleted. Usually requests for access are only for former senior staff members.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It doesn't matter what you set the auto-delete period to because it will always be scheduled to happen less than 30 minutes after your lawyers get a notice from the federal government to retain all records related to said person.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cyks posted:

I think the default is 30 days after deletion to recover, right?

I have onedrives and email backed up to a NAS but yeah, normal user accounts just get deleted and I don’t offer email or onedrive access unless requested, just set to shared with an auto response saying they are no longer with the company for 30 days and then it’s deleted. Usually requests for access are only for former senior staff members.

Yeah it's 30 days by default but you can change it, I think there (might) be a maximum of 365 but I could just be making that up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

1. computers are evil
2. computers are the data they contain
3. evil should be destroyed

4. all data should be destroyed

QED you should delete all data as quickly as possible at all times

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The gun by printer meme is basically me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

At my last job our lawyers told us to delete everything ASAP so none of it can be asked to be brought to a court of law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

At my last job our lawyers told us to delete everything ASAP so none of it can be asked to be brought to a court of law.

See now the legality of that poo poo always throughs me off.