Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I do a lot of entertainment & media focus group type testing for my job and you're vastly overestimating peoples ability to comprehend media. If your message is not spelled out it's gonna go over their heads 9 times out of 10.

People really just shut their brains off when they watch videos on screens--and for something like barbie people arent going in expecting much theoretical discourse.

I wish people would stop making me lament the species this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I wish people would stop making me lament the species this way.

shut the gently caress up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

croup coughfield posted:

shut the gently caress up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's just like Idiocracy, guys

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Uh, excuse me, but I ordered the Starbucks with the happy ending. And foam.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

loquacius posted:

(I can also add that I have never seen a single episode of Bluey where Bandit has to go to work, but, again, Dale Jr)

I think there's at least two eps where the theme is explicitly "sometimes dad has to work", I def remember one where Bingo gets upset bc dad is on a work call and he is curt towards her. Also it is implied Bandit works from home most days.

Anyways gently caress dale raceman jr Bluey is an excellent show that somehow is enjoyable to watch both for kids and adults

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I do a lot of entertainment & media focus group type testing for my job and you're vastly overestimating peoples ability to comprehend media. If your message is not spelled out it's gonna go over their heads 9 times out of 10.

People really just shut their brains off when they watch videos on screens--and for something like barbie people arent going in expecting much theoretical discourse.

Thanks, it's nice to get confirmation from a professional that I am actually really smart.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Herzog should have done Barbie. Or played Ken. Both.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
always exciting when goons start recommending a kids show

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

croup coughfield posted:

since you are the expert goon on these things: which is better, Steven universe or star butterfly versus the my little pony

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

Anyone recommending Bluey almost definitely has kids and watches it with them, hope this helps

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

loquacius posted:

Anyone recommending Bluey almost definitely has kids and watches it with them, hope this helps

yeah some of us have a little thing called a "family"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

yeah some of us have a little thing called a "family"

I’m no expert, but doesn’t that imply a goon had sex?

Shenanigans I say.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

not at all! infact…. some goons simply work(ed) for the state department under Hillary :eng101:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
its even worse when they watch it with their kids. too tired, no more mental defenses

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Bluey can’t be a goon favourite when it literally shames them.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/05/scene-cut-bluey-episode-exercise-complaints-body-image-fat-shaming

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

This succeeded in confusing me for a second because my name is in fact Anna

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Shenanigans I say.

:gb2gbs:

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed Oppenheimer a lot, didnt feel like a drag at all even though there was a couple dozing off right next to us. The score and dialogue gets to be a bit much especially in the final third but overall it's a well made, historically accurate biopic. Massive props for portraying Strauss and Teller as complete assholes.

Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad Gita during the sex scene was so loving bad

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also missed opportunity not having "josh" from "drake and josh" say "now we're all sons of bitches" after the test

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

lmfao calling out for arjuna mid-nut

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there's a snyder cut joke in the barbie movie and like two people in the packed theater i was in laughed at it, it was really awkward lol

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I enjoyed Oppenheimer a lot, didnt feel like a drag at all even though there was a couple dozing off right next to us. The score and dialogue gets to be a bit much especially in the final third but overall it's a well made, historically accurate biopic. Massive props for portraying Strauss and Teller as complete assholes.

it was great but yeah there are some heinous Nolanisms in there.
loved that one side character (don't think they even had a name) who said every single line in a dead monotone full of dramatic pauses, speaking the wisdom of a prophet who has already read the wikipedia page about the oppenheimer hearings

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

the new mission impossible is like a 6 or 7 out of 10

too long, too slow, too talky, bad at talky, big stunts touched up or cut around

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

gaslighting me into think Ethan hunt has a backstory. but im not gaslit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also i'm real late to the party but I watched RRR the other day and it's the greatest movie ever made

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Augus posted:

there's a snyder cut joke in the barbie movie and like two people in the packed theater i was in laughed at it, it was really awkward lol

lol is that the level of social commentary ive been hearing about

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I liked the joke about fascism in the barbie movie

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In an article on Fatherly.com, a writer, who is a father complains that Bandit has to give up playing rugby to have time for his family. This man writes with absolutely no sense of gendered irony:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bring back the wheat mustache guy as your avatar

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

bring back the wheat mustache guy as your avatar

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
star trek is better yhan bluey though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Laszlo Cravensworth is the best character in all of fiction

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
Zordon actor David J. Fielding reportedly made less than US$1,000 for his work on the highly popular Mighty Morphin Power Rangers television series. Discussion of his role started when David Yost, an actor best known for his role as Blue Ranger in the beloved 90s TV series, commented on the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strikes on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/David_Yost/status/1679652898136014849

Yost wrote, "Haim Saban must be leading the talks. SMH…where has decency & respect gone. [sic] @DavidJFielding (the face of Zordon) had a similar experience. He worked one day on Power Rangers & the same footage was used in every MMPR episode."

The tweet included a link to the DiscussingFilm Twitter account that stated, "The studio's A.I. proposal to SAG-AFTRA included scanning a background actor's likeness for one day's worth of pay and using their likeness forever in any form without any pay or consent."

Fielding joined the conversation to elaborate on his compensation for the series.

"I made less than $1000 on the show as a whole. It was non-union, so no residuals. I got paid $150 for the day I filmed, and they made a billion dollars the first year. But that's fair, right?" Fielding wrote.

According to a Forbes article published in 2001, Saban made US$1.6 billion worldwide in Power Ranger toy sales by 1994.

"I got paid $150 pre-tax rate ($75 per hour non-union standard, 2-hour minimum session time) for the few sessions I did to record several episodes at a time. My last VO for MMPR was Episode 31. Robert Manahan took over after I left - I have no idea what he was paid or how much," Fielding wrote. "I was paid for the day I filmed and for each recording session I went to - not by episode. I was credited up to Episode 31, but when I left the show and LA, they removed me from the credits - which I assume is kind of standard or was back then."

The primary cast members of Power Rangers, whose likeness was used in merchandising, toys, commercials, and comics, were also poorly paid and worked 12 to 15-hour days, six days a week. In a 2014 interview with the The Huffington Post, Black Ranger Walter Jones said, "We weren't paid a lot, at all. I could have worked the window at McDonalds and probably made the same money the first season. It was disappointing, it was frustrating, it made a lot of us angry. [Haim Saban] just had absolutely zero conscience about making billions using our faces because it was his idea, and he owned it."

After the first season, the cast were offered non-union contracts. Cast members attempted to negotiate, but ultimately Jones, Thuy Trang (Yellow Ranger), and Austin St. John (Red Ranger) left the show. Yost would also leave the show and later recount homophobic harassment from the show's producers and crew. In an open letter published by Variety, Pink Ranger actor Amy Jo Johnson wrote, "...despite the fact that this was a non-union television series and I was paid peanuts and almost died a few times because of the makeshift low-budget stunts we performed, I am forever grateful." She added, "P.s. Feel free to cast me in any of the upcoming sequels. I believe I would make a wonderful villain. And I hear it's union!"

SAG-AFTRA has mobilized a strike following Writers Guide America's strike that started on May 2. The growing capability of AI functionality in media production is a point of contention in the strike as its use could threaten the livelihood of actors and writers. Negotiations between SAG-AFTRA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) have failed thus far. SAG-AFTRA is seeking residuals to match the increased proliferation of streaming in comparison to cable television, better wages, improved working conditions, and health and pension coverage.

It's the first unified strike between both unions in the industry since 1960. SAG-AFTRA represents more than 160,000 entertainment and media professionals. The WGA represents over 11,000 writers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thanks, it's nice to get confirmation from a professional that I am actually really smart.

That you bother to read shitposts on a dying leftist subforum puts you higher than you think in the "reading to inform myself and understand this world" category. Most people just want to eat, gently caress and watch TV.

Downside is that for every poster on a dying leftist subforum there are 3 to 5 on thriving far right forums.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol is that the level of social commentary ive been hearing about

there's also a scene right next to it where a man sexistly explains The Godfather to a woman lol.
For some reason screenwriters seem to be really weirdly fixated on this scenario where someone sexistly explains The Godfather, they had a scene like this in White Lotus too and it was so weird and out of place.

the movie was mostly fun and hilarious but there were a handful of parts like that where they just turn to the camera and say something really weird and specific that only screenwriters who are addicted to social media will understand or give a poo poo about

Augus has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Jul 25, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Augus posted:

there's also a scene right next to it where a man sexistly explains The Godfather to a woman lol.
For some reason screenwriters seem to be really weirdly fixated on this scenario where someone sexistly explains The Godfather, they had a scene like this in White Lotus too and it was so weird and out of place.

the movie was mostly fun and hilarious but there were a handful of parts like that where they just turn to the camera and say something really weird and specific that only screenwriters who are addicted to social media will understand.

that's most contemporary big league writing, you have to write what you know and professional screenwriters know the same 6 people who are catty on Twitter or whatever.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

As the board of directors of the German American Association of Washington D.C., we would like to express our profound thanks to the Walt Disney Company for the forthcoming mini-series Hitler, scheduled for release on Disney+ on October 29th of this year. We are eager to delve into the tumultuous era of the 1930s and 1940s in Germany by focusing on Adolf Hitler, a highly controversial figure.

GAA-DC is the oldest and largest German American association in the United States, and our annual festival, consistently recognized as the best cultural festival in Washington D.C., will also explore the era of Hitler and the turbulent history of Germany during this period as our core themes this year.

Hitler's policies and ideologies during the 1930s and 1940s Germany aimed to create a homogeneous and autarkic society. His actions have left an indelible mark on history, causing seismic shifts in the global socio-political landscape. This influence can be seen in Washington D.C. as well, particularly in the significant discourse and debates around World War II and its aftermath.

German cinema and television have made substantial strides and gained international recognition in recent years, with many German filmmakers and actors achieving success on the global stage. Several German actors, actresses, and directors have received critical acclaim and international awards, contributing to the richness of world cinema. Many German actors, actresses, and directors have received critical acclaim and international awards, including Emil Jannings as best actor for The Way of All Flesh, Christoph Waltz as best supporting actor for Inglourious Bastards, Leni Riefenstahl with best foreign film for Olympia and best foreign documentary with Triumph des Willens at the Venice Film Festival, Michael Haneke as Palme d'Or for Das weiße Band and Amour, Michael Verhoeven for Das schreckliche Mädchen, and Christian Petzold for Barbara as best directors at the Berlin Film Festivals. These are just a few examples.

We believe this new mini-series, Hitler, will join the growing list of German cinematic successes.

In closing, we would like to extend our gratitude to you and the Walt Disney Company again for supporting this mini-series about one of the most consequential figures of the 20th century. As the world continues to understand the effects of Hitler's regime and World War II, releasing this mini-series by Disney that reflects on the man who transformed Germany in such a drastic way serves as a significant examination of this historical period. Thank you for letting me share more about Hitler's impact on his country and globally, including here in the United States.

GAA-DC Board of Directors

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

indigi posted:

Laszlo Cravensworth is the best character in all of fiction

His randomly elongated vocal fries make me lol every time

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

Adolf Hitler, a highly controversial figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
you cant just provoke people into googling hitler! youll regret this!!!