Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That first jumpscare/reveal with the camera is an all timer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That is to this day the one movie I as an adult could not watch in one sitting. Ignoring little kid stuff.

I got about half-way and just desperately needed to stand in the sun and pet a cat for 10 minutes. It was already the scariest movie before the bat monsters even showed up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Descent has one of the best horror movie screams ever, EEEEEAAAARRGH*gurgle*

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Which ending did you see? The sunny US one or the darker UK one?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I vividly remember it being the UK ending the first time, but the odds it actually was are precisely zero with when and where I watched it.

I mostly bring this up to show how much more the UK cut’s ending is. C’mon. We all know she’s not getting out of that hole. We don’t have to pretend.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finishing Grave Encounters 2 just now just makes me want to rewatch The Descent to wash the taste of bad out of my mouth. Hell it made me wish I was watching House on Haunted Hill 99. Are we even sure that movie is bad bad because I feel like plenty of horror movies come out every year that wish they had scenes as fun as the creepy revolving chamber thing or the surgery scene, plus...stacked cast. I haven't seen it since I was a lil kid so it's probably just that but maybe it's time for zoomer film dorks to "reclaim" it.
I knew GC2 would suck too, im just a desperate masochist scraping for the last bits of found footage like a delicious rat in a haunted asylum. I mean the first Grave Encounters was pretty mediocre anyway.
How do you have a main character that obnoxious and stupid and not have him die a painful death unless Grave Encounters 2 really was just directed by an Alex if you get what I mean. Like gently caress you movie for just having him beat his love interest to death who he was already lovely to all the time and then have him give a stupid smile at the end of the film. Dude should've been ripped apart, I was rooting for Sean/Lance over him.

I appreciated some of the meta stuff and I guess the extra sense of humor and absurdity (there were actually some decent gags about the original and about horror in general) but wow talk about two movies that get blown out of the water by Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum effortlessly in almost every way.
It's funny that they have the crooked producer guy imply that some of the "corny effects" of the original were put in afterwards but then this sequel had the same stupid boring :geno: stretchy face ghosts. So I'm just watching like the bad film edit of the film in the film I guess??? Cool. Fun way to explain why your movie blows. Maybe GE2 is secretly genius.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 24, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh and the normal warning when Descent talk starts up: do not, under any circumstances, watch Descent 2

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
it is very funny that The Descent 2 is only compatible with the bad version of the first one's ending and is therefore not canon

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Earlier this evening, I explained to someone the plot of Highlander 2, and they were incredulous over it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Oh and the normal warning when Descent talk starts up: do not, under any circumstances, watch Descent 2

It's not as good as the first one by any stretch, but if you DID like the first one it's not ~terrible~ IMO. Certainly watchable by dumb horror movie standards.

VROOM VROOM posted:

it is very funny that The Descent 2 is only compatible with the bad version of the first one's ending and is therefore not canon

Guess I need to look this up, I've only ever seen the US cut. But even then they don't line up very well; the first one ends with her sitting in their jeep and the 2nd one opens with her stumbling through the woods with temporary amnesia :rolleyes:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gonz posted:

Earlier this evening, I explained to someone the plot of Highlander 2, and they were incredulous over it.

Ironside out there on the set choppin' off fingers for real

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. Movie opens with Freddy's DIY fingerknives project. I appreciate how it's in a tiny subwindow like you were watching it on an old TV or something.

And it looked like he had several different designs!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gonz posted:

I love Highlander 2. It's so stupid that it rules.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I think I've only read about the original UK ending of The Descent, but it definitely reads to me as a great example of how "darker" is not always "smarter." I mean, what kind of hack director ends the movie with a "Gotcha! That last act was all a hallucination!" move? (Although, as pointed out, that ending does at least preclude the existence of The Descent 2, which was bad enough to make me angry.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love Highlander 2. It's so stupid that it rules.

The only good bit of Highlander 2 is Sean Connery's first scene. Highlander 3 was better, for Christ's sake. At least that had one or two decent sword fights and Mario van Peebles eating a condom.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

On the subject of unnecessary sequels, my partner has spent several years trying to convince me that Weekend At Bernie's 2 exists and I adamantly refuse to believe it. His corpse gets beaten to poo poo and shot at the end. There's no way.

This movie is NOT real. Not even holding the physical DVD in my hand is enough to convince me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

On the subject of unnecessary sequels, my partner has spent several years trying to convince me that Weekend At Bernie's 2 exists and I adamantly refuse to believe it. His corpse gets beaten to poo poo and shot at the end. There's no way.

This movie is NOT real. Not even holding the physical DVD in my hand is enough to convince me.

I saw that when I was probably too young, and it was back when my brain assumed "Sequel/Remake is newer and newer = better". Even as a kid I watched that and though it was poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Not only is it real but it inspired a hit dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRBLmogRL4c

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Weekend at Bernie's 2 was one of those movies that Comedy Central would play periodically when I was a kid so I saw it at least once. Bernie's body starts dancing and walking when he hears music because of a voodoo curse.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
My older brother loooved both Weekend At Bernie's movies. I haven't seen them for like 30 years, but sometimes a piece of dialogue will still pop up in my head.

"Hey, don't you point at me, Charles!"
"Point-point-point-point-point-point-point-POINT!"

I think in 2, a woman actually has sex with Bernie's dead body.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That happens in 1, actually. I watched it for the first time yesterday and...well, it kinda sucks. It has a premise that has lasted and that's it. Bernie doesn't even die until an hour in and the entire thing has no energy at all. It feels like it should be a screwball comedy but the funniest part of the movie is when the end credits hit and you realize that the Costume Supervisor was named Dick Butz.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That happens in 1, actually. I watched it for the first time yesterday and...well, it kinda sucks. It has a premise that has lasted and that's it. Bernie doesn't even die until an hour in and the entire thing has no energy at all. It feels like it should be a screwball comedy but the funniest part of the movie is when the end credits hit and you realize that the Costume Supervisor was named Dick Butz.

Holy poo poo, lol, I certainly did not remember that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

weirdly i've seen this but not the original

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gonz posted:

Should’ve waited to play this first https://www.chocolatehammer.org/?page_id=6083

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Speaking of watching movies you haven't seen in forever, I watched brotherhood of the wolf after 20 years since last time. It was still very good! Some early 2000s staples like too many quick cuts during action scenes, but the story was intriguing. The costumes were fantastic, it is set in 1700s France so triangle hats as far as the eye can see. And the heroes wear those weird face mask cowl things in one scene, definitely inspired Bloodborne. Director went on to do the silent hill movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

And the heroes wear those weird face mask cowl things in one scene, definitely inspired Bloodborne.

Also in the final showdown the villain uses like a sword/flail combo weapon that is right out of Bloodborne.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

weirdly i've seen this but not the original

Yeah I think that’s not uncommon. I THINK I’ve seen the first one but if so it was once and I was 9 or something, I’ve seen 2 like 400 times on tv

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im hearing good buzz for Talk To Me anyone see it yet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm watching The Price We Pay because someone linked the trailer a few pages ago and it's fine so far. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

e: Update, I have finished the movie, I will 100% forget this movie in literally a week.

First 4/5ths of the movie are boring with basically no reason to really root for anybody. Full honesty, it's available on Peacock, I'd just fast forward and watch the last 15 minutes (where every single interesting thing happens) and just call it good. There's a really neat practical effect head explosion by high tension barbed wire coil that's probably worth seeing but I can't recommend watching the first chunk of the movie to get there.

e2: gently caress it, here's a GIF of the spoilered thing above, save yourself some time.

emile hirsch is a fucker and s2v schlock is still too good for him

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alan Smithee posted:

im hearing good buzz for Talk To Me anyone see it yet

had a chance for a press screening, but I missed it. I've only been hearing praise for it though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm gonna see it on Friday, pretty excited for it. By now, A24 horror is generally a stamp of approval.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Opopanax posted:

That first jumpscare/reveal with the camera is an all timer

That reveal is great and has been copied a bunch, but the thing you might be forgetting is there are like 4 awful jumpscares before that.

Juno is a pretty loving terrible friend though, eh?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

That reveal is great and has been copied a bunch, but the thing you might be forgetting is there are like 4 awful jumpscares before that.

Juno is a pretty loving terrible friend though, eh?

This is what happens to you when you Love Each Day.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well I went to go see Oppenheimer today and before that the trailer for the Exorcist played. I don’t remember the last time I’ve been in an audience where the entire audience LAUGHED. Just not small chuckles and chatter with whoever they were with, but big full belly laughs.

It was a scene man.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i had to look it up

i can kinda see why lol.

Still. I am a DGG and McBride fan for life so ill see that poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh yeah, someone at my theatre let out a big laugh as soon as it was apparent what the movie was, and everyone groan-laughed at the title reveal at the end.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Did anybody catch the season finale of Joe Bob Briggs on Friday? Day of the Dead, my favorite (non-comedy) Zombie of all time. My favorite horror comedy is without a doubt Return of the Living Dead

Now I know maybe there's a few of you here who don't like JBB because a few of the comments he's made over the years. I'm not here to defend those. However I believe his commentary on Romero's final great move is excellent and should be heard. It's relevant. If you haven't seen Day of the Dead (the OG.... there's a remake floating out there) it's about the institutions that run our current society breaking down. Those institutions. The Military industrial industrial complex specifically. Shudder is a great investment of your money for a streaming service (that's the end of my plug for them), but I'll be dammed if Day of the Dead doesn't get better with each re-watch. And yes Dawn of the Dead is phenomenal too but in our world run with politics what they are I think it's relevance has faded.

Just do it for nothing else if you like excellent kills and don't buy into the shade that some people throw onto the film as it's the rising star in the trilogy for many.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

HK5000 posted:

Did anybody catch the season finale of Joe Bob Briggs on Friday? Day of the Dead, my favorite (non-comedy) Zombie of all time. My favorite horror comedy is without a doubt Return of the Living Dead

Now I know maybe there's a few of you here who don't like JBB because a few of the comments he's made over the years. I'm not here to defend those. However I believe his commentary on Romero's final great move is excellent and should be heard. It's relevant. If you haven't seen Day of the Dead (the OG.... there's a remake floating out there) it's about the institutions that run our current society breaking down. Those institutions. The Military industrial industrial complex specifically. Shudder is a great investment of your money for a streaming service (that's the end of my plug for them), but I'll be dammed if Day of the Dead doesn't get better with each re-watch. And yes Dawn of the Dead is phenomenal too but in our world run with politics what they are I think it's relevance has faded.

Just do it for nothing else if you like excellent kills and don't buy into the shade that some people throw onto the film as it's the rising star in the trilogy for many.

I think I still like Dawn best but Day’s a masterpiece and I feel like it has almost surpassed the others in praise around these parts. But that’s just in this bubble and I do happen to be the chairman of the Joe Pilato fan club.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhodes imo really does elevate it. He’s so unhinged and hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dawn was my favorite growing up, Day is my favorite now. All of the original three are amazing.