Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I saw that every house becomes a giant green cube so I gave up entirely and just created a wall of weapon storage that I ascend through. No stairs, no aesthetics.

Zelda is not going to want to steal this “house”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The dawning realization of just how limited the house building was eventually led me to rewind my save to recoup some of my rupees. It’s astonishing just how poorly implemented it is.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I finally finished the whole lurelin questline

I picked submarine, then water rally for the special attraction after you rebuild the village

was super sad when I didn't get an option to create a floating hotel after i'd finished with the water rally. Had to check google to see if I didn't screw myself out of Lurelin White Lotus.

I kinda love that they moved the tarry town questline to lurelin. The atmosphere in lurelin is just perfect and getting everything for free in the coolest town is fun.

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 24, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to be able to swim under the water. Give us under water content in the next game please.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

dodgeblan posted:

I finally finished the whole lurelin questline

I picked submarine, then water rally for the special attraction after you rebuild the village

was super sad when I didn't get an option to create a floating hotel after i'd finished with the water rally. Had to check google to see if I didn't screw myself out of Lurelin White Lotus.

I kinda love that they moved the tarry town questline to lurelin. The atmosphere in lurelin is just perfect and getting everything for free in the coolest town is fun.

Bolson hanging out there makes it purest perfection.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

I want to be able to swim under the water. Give us under water content in the next game please.

puttering around in lurelin bay and i had to stop and appreciate how much effort went into the area. There's a bunch of coral reefs! even though you can't go underwater!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

dodgeblan posted:

puttering around in lurelin bay and i had to stop and appreciate how much effort went into the area. There's a bunch of coral reefs! even though you can't go underwater!

There’s a theory video I’ve seen that makes a pretty convincing case for Lurelin Village having been meant to be tied to a fifth, possibly underwater Divine Beast in BotW, and the detail put into the village and the fact that there’s an incredibly detailed underwater ecosystem that you can’t even see from above the water in this area is part of their argument.

https://youtu.be/b8WZqM6xKWY

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
God drat, the Colgera music slaps so fuckin hard

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I beat the game without doing the battery thing you guys seem to be talking about. I got one slice maybe? Lots of koroks initially so I had about the same lots of weapons, few bows, fewer shields sitch that I had in BotW. Same with hearts and stamina, filled stamina and then did about half the heart containers but not enough hearts to roll over to two rows, however many that is (seems like a lot).

Ganon wasn't difficult or meant to be after you learn to cook and eat but was pleasantly challenging with his buddies and weapon management and skill mastery and just learning to jump aside and have the right armor, ofc even if it wasn't upgraded because poo to fighting all those frox and lynels and gleeoks. One of each was fine and good. I liked the constructs fine but the ones that float up and rubix cube themselves out of range and tax my bomb arrows or something I didn't have were frustrating.

The plot stuff was all great and beautiful and the scenery was amazing and the gameplay was just buttery smooth to me and felt amazing and will be worth hundreds of hours of replaying and nitpicking like BotW was but I think I'm gonna sell my new OLED TotK edition for S2 money on swappa and wait till the holidays.

Just like the last one that was a GOAT and a marathon and you can all thank nintendo for keeping me busy and not posting here ;) :tipshat:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Ganon wasn't difficult or meant to be after you learn to cook and eat but was pleasantly challenging with his buddies and weapon management and skill mastery and just learning to jump aside and have the right armor, ofc even if it wasn't upgraded because poo to fighting all those frox and lynels and gleeoks. One of each was fine and good. I liked the constructs fine but the ones that float up and rubix cube themselves out of range and tax my bomb arrows or something I didn't have were frustrating.

You could have used ultrahand to pull off cubes in the rubix cube form, and climbed onto the cubes aimed down at you and used recall to go up.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

yeah the constructs were cool cause they asked the player to use all their powers to fight them effectively

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

d0grent posted:

yeah the constructs were cool cause they asked the player to use all their powers to fight them effectively

i went through 99% of my playthrough without realizing that flux construct cubes counted as physics objects. a bit counter-intuitive imo. you can't ultrahand any other enemy, and you can Recall some projectiles but idk i guess the flux construct cubes never read as "projectiles" to me.

even without using ultrahand or recall, I thought they were pretty easy minibosses.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Did you use ascend?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you use ascend?

yeah. You can ascend through other things that aren't physics objects, including some monsters, so that was a lot more intuitive.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

DontMockMySmock posted:

i went through 99% of my playthrough without realizing that flux construct cubes counted as physics objects. a bit counter-intuitive imo. you can't ultrahand any other enemy, and you can Recall some projectiles but idk i guess the flux construct cubes never read as "projectiles" to me.

even without using ultrahand or recall, I thought they were pretty easy minibosses.

I have no idea how to fight the III variant without ultrahand, the weak cube always shifts before I can shoot it.

So, if you find it easy without powers, how'd you do it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HootTheOwl posted:

Did you use ascend?

When I first started playing I remember going into a shrine and not quite being able to get up high enough to get onto a ledge and trying to hodge-podge together whatever ultra-handable items I could fine but I simply couldn't quite reach it and I was thinking,"Dammit I can move forward but not up, I really need to find a way to ascend that height, but I can't. If only there was a way to ascend higher up to where I needed but I can't figure out how to ascend like I want to dammit I wish I could ascend but what are you gonna do? A man can dream I guess, a man can dream."

:cripes:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I have no idea how to fight the III variant without ultrahand, the weak cube always shifts before I can shoot it.

Hide behind a corner and snipe it in century mode.
One of the first things I did was cheese them in the labarynth depths

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 25, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jerusalem posted:

When I first started playing I remember going into a shrine and not quite being able to get up high enough to get onto a ledge and trying to hodge-podge together whatever ultra-handable items I could fine but I simply couldn't quite reach it and I was thinking,"Dammit I can move forward but not up, I really need to find a way to ascend that height, but I can't. If only there was a way to ascend higher up to where I needed but I can't figure out how to ascend like I want to dammit I wish I could ascend but what are you gonna do? A man can dream I guess, a man can dream."

:cripes:
Yeah, remembering you can ascend is one of the biggest early game challenges. Like when you get stuck in a well.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A shitload of bomb arrows, when I did it. Doesn't matter if the construct swaps around its weak cube if you just throw enough AoE damage at the whole conglomeration that it gets hit anyway

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

For the humanoid form, you just stand on top of it until the weak cube shifts to somewhere on the top, and then swing wildly. It's pretty easy to climb up top when it does the hand-slam, and then you can just hang out up there. Alternately, if it gets stunned while you're not on top (by tulin usually) you can stand between its feet and do a spin attack and hit it when the weak cube shifts to one of the 4 feet cubes.

Platform form is the easiest. You bomb arrow it in the center so it gets hit by the splash damage, to get it to lower itself, then you can ascend through it and go to town. if you run out of bomb arrows, you're hosed i guess, but idk i'm a hoarder so I always had plenty. you can probably rocket-shield up to it or whatever but I never tried that.

The cube form is the hardest but mostly I just ran around and hit it with a sword or whatever. Sometimes it took a while to stun it, but its attacks are really easy to dodge. It is a lot easier to do this form quickly with ultrahand, but it's so drat easy to dodge that I wouldn't exactly call it "hard" without UH.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

God drat, the Colgera music slaps so fuckin hard

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPdP7hTplg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toGzfBjY_u4

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2023

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The music for the weird tardigrade volcano fight before the Fire Temple also slapped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtiXqQsN_1c

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Poque posted:

The music for the weird tardigrade volcano fight before the Fire Temple also slapped

Completely forgot about that, owns

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Marluxia posted:

You could have used ultrahand to pull off cubes in the rubix cube form, and climbed onto the cubes aimed down at you and used recall to go up.

Oooh, recall, recall was what I was missing.

It was only itt that I learned to teleport through talus

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Recall is the ability I always loving forget to use unless it's obviously the solution to a shrine, like in the name. Ascend I got handy with quick cause it's awesome and I want to abuse it as much as possible.

The ability triggers a drat loading screen but you don't even care unless you are really going for it through a whole rear end mountain and it starts to drag on

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Those times you can use Ascend without the loading screen are SO satisfying. Whether it’s a shallow platform or a scripted one in a shrine. Shame it doesn’t work like that every time but I get why.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I'm not smart enough for recall. The only thing my brain can ever produce is 'make projectile hit guy who shot it'

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

There's also "rock from sky becomes free elevator up". That one is my main Rewind use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MokBa posted:

Those times you can use Ascend without the loading screen are SO satisfying. Whether it’s a shallow platform or a scripted one in a shrine. Shame it doesn’t work like that every time but I get why.

I'm still confused by the presence or lack of loading screens, even in one of the early ascend-centric shrines I went through a tall platform without one, and then had to sit through loading while going through a tiny 6" thick floor. I have to wonder if there's a component related to how much junk is in memory at the time or something, it just seems weirdly variable.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I haven't done rigorous testing but I think if the camera doesn't also have to phase through an object, you don't get a loading screen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Coxswain Balls posted:

I haven't done rigorous testing but I think if the camera doesn't also have to phase through an object, you don't get a loading screen.

That was my original assumption, but the thin platform in that shrine shouldn't have required loading in that case :iiam:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

There's also "rock from sky becomes free elevator up". That one is my main Rewind use.

One of the first TotK videos I saw (I think it was in the OP of this thread!) was Link rewinding a rock up to a sky island and joyfully exploring. Oh, cool, so that's how you get up there? I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

lol jk it works like 1% of the time, mostly it gets you maybe halfway there then the timer runs out and you plummet right back down. There's probably another metaphor there for aspiring poets

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just realized today that you can start building your house, request to preview the blessing room, use it to upgrade your stealth and stamina, and thell the guy no thanks and stop building. It doesn't really save any time or anything, but I just think it's funny for him to see me use the room and then make him pack it back up.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i finally got around to fully upgrading my horse to max level and holy poo poo this beast can move at a fuckin clip.

still dumb as a sack of rocks though. gets scared over the ground having a slight, 10-degree incline, stops in the middle of bokoblin camps and just stands there placidly, etc. etc.

i'll give nintendo credit for realism, at least :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Docjowles posted:

One of the first TotK videos I saw (I think it was in the OP of this thread!) was Link rewinding a rock up to a sky island and joyfully exploring. Oh, cool, so that's how you get up there? I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

lol jk it works like 1% of the time, mostly it gets you maybe halfway there then the timer runs out and you plummet right back down. There's probably another metaphor there for aspiring poets

I do it every time anyway and then see if there’s anything cool I can glider down to

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Poque posted:

I completely understand why, since most players would not actually have flown a plane before - strange thing to say about a Zelda game - but I was bummed by how gimped the Moragia setpiece was. Does it knock you out of the sky if it hits you? It would suck if it did

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I use recall against rock-likes a lot, also the Flux Constructs when they go up into the air you can ride the blocks they shoot at you up if you use recall.

Also when you’re fighting rock gohma, recall is really useful.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo including most of the BOTW DLC items except for the magic horse saddle was incredibly rude

horses are annoying to use without that! give it back :mad:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like using recall on the icicles that King Gleeok has, only to be blasted from on top by a thunderbolt, then putting on the Thunder Helm and doing it again. Not sure how I always forget about that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Gleeoks getting to double tap an existing strike is rude.

But then again launching eye'd arrows at them so they can never do anything is also rude so maybe we deserve each other.