Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Kind of a GPU issue: When using a CRT, most games revert to the stock refresh rate unless they're running at the desktop resolution. So at 800x600 Half Life 2 will run at 75Hz, even though the monitor can do 120Hz. It'll run fine at 120 if I first change the desktop resolution to 800x600 (using a custom resolution set up in NVCP).

Any simple way around this for games that don't let you set the refresh independently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm currently running a 2070 that seems to be on its way out, temps are hosed and there's so much RGB bullshit on it that I'm wary of taking it apart to redo the thermal paste. If I'm not overly worried about higher performance and just want something that'll handle similar loads without becoming a jet engine, should I just grab a 3060 12GB?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Newegg has a Refurb 3090 available for $670.

I picked one up if anyone wants to roll on the refurb lotto with me.

That's pretty good. If only I had an iota of faith in Newegg, I would be in for that sweet, sweet VRAM. It sucks that the 4090 is the only option with 20gb+ in the 40 series.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I realize it very much isn't HDR (there's a lot of brightness clipping), but bright lights in the dark on a CRT have that similar "pop" of luminance.

(can't really capture that with an SDR photo, that you will probably view on an LCD, but here's one anyway)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 24, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Newegg has a Refurb 3090 available for $670.

I picked one up if anyone wants to roll on the refurb lotto with me.

This is so tempting, since it’d fit in a 7,1 Mac Pro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

$700 RX 7900 XT at Microcenter. Says $750 on the listing, but $700 when in cart. Plus Starfield.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

Store only, and seemingly not available at all locations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Rinkles posted:

$700 RX 7900 XT at Microcenter. Says $750 on the listing, but $700 when in cart. Plus Starfield.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

Store only, and seemingly not available at all locations.

Amazon will occasionally offer the same card for the same price, should one not be near a microcenter. The 7900xt was of dubious value at its launch price, but I think $700-$750 is more than reasonable.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Four $275 used Dell 3080s are up for sale at Jawa for those who are interested, seller is reputable and I've bought a GPU from them before: https://www.jawa.gg/product/20818/DELL-GEFORCE-RTX-EOM-3080

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

change my name posted:

Four $275 used Dell 3080s are up for sale at Jawa for those who are interested, seller is reputable and I've bought a GPU from them before: https://www.jawa.gg/product/20818/DELL-GEFORCE-RTX-EOM-3080

description says 3070?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

description says 3070?

It's sold out anyways but I think that's a mistake, the Dell OEM 3070 has a different backplate and only 1 8-pin power connector (photos show 2)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
<a wild-haired mountain man from the YOSPOS territories stumbles out of the woods, waving around a video card and yelling about things>

So, I got gifted this card a while back - 1080ti hybrid

Sadly over the weekend the pump's gone noisy, and I suspect that it'll be difficult, expensive or impossible to find a replacement unit.

What i would like to do: Just convert this to an air cooled card. Space is not a concern and as a matter of fact, the larger and more ridiculous the HSF is, the better. Do not care about appearance.
What i would like to do less, but would still entertain: Find an AIO that I can swap out the busted bits for and keep it as a hybrid setup.
What I really don't want to do: scrap it because I can't find parts to do either of the above.

It is not used for gaming, strictly RTX voice and transcoding.

Can anybody guide me in a direction to give it a new lease on life?

e: i tried the thing where you purge out air bubbles by holding the radiator above the card for a bit, no change in noise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

description says 3070?

Still a good deal even if its a 3070 IMO lol

I bet it sold out quickly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

<a wild-haired mountain man from the YOSPOS territories stumbles out of the woods, waving around a video card and yelling about things>

So, I got gifted this card a while back - 1080ti hybrid

Sadly over the weekend the pump's gone noisy, and I suspect that it'll be difficult, expensive or impossible to find a replacement unit.

What i would like to do: Just convert this to an air cooled card. Space is not a concern and as a matter of fact, the larger and more ridiculous the HSF is, the better. Do not care about appearance.
What i would like to do less, but would still entertain: Find an AIO that I can swap out the busted bits for and keep it as a hybrid setup.
What I really don't want to do: scrap it because I can't find parts to do either of the above.

It is not used for gaming, strictly RTX voice and transcoding.

Can anybody guide me in a direction to give it a new lease on life?

e: i tried the thing where you purge out air bubbles by holding the radiator above the card for a bit, no change in noise.

It's expensive and comes with no fans, but this thing is compatible with the 1080 Ti. Or the NZXT Kraken G12 is an adapter for mounting CPU AIOs to GPUs. See the specs tab for compatibility information (it should work with your 1080 Ti)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Two interesting options. Somebody mentioned that G12 elsewhere, and i really like the look/size of that first link. I abused Corsair _heavily_ a few months back when they were selling a bunch of primo fans on sale for $4.99 each so i have about a dozen Corsair 92/120/140mm fans of various models in a pile in the corner.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You could also buy little bar shaped heatsinks for the VRMs and memory, then a generic big heatsink for the processor itself. If you're really just doing encode and voice, then you will hardly need cooling. Alternatively you can sell it as is and buy a used 2060 and be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Raijintek heatsink comes with memory/VRM heatsinks too. Though the thermal pads they come with are poo poo. They're supposed to be sticky on both sides, but the heatsinks are prone to falling off. Using some kind of thermal epoxy may be better. e.g. this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I already ordered a 4060 (i know, i know, it was $289) to replace it - which will help in the long run because the RTX Broadcaster poo poo wants a 2000 or newer - but i wanna throw this in my headless linux machine for Handbrake and Plex transcodes, and that thing is all Noctua'd up with big rear end air coolers and slow fans.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
it's extremely annoying that the only Ada Generation quadros out are the A6000 bigboi and the A2000 that uses a dual-slot low-profile formfactor nobody built servers for.

give me an update to the A4000 single-slot you cowards

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's extremely annoying that the only Ada Generation quadros out are the A6000 bigboi and the A2000 that uses a dual-slot low-profile formfactor nobody built servers for.

give me an update to the A4000 single-slot you cowards

So that would be a pro AD104? Can a single slot cooler handle 200w, or would they clock it down compared to the 4070? I think the A4000 used GA104 if I am not mistaken.

I'm tired of gigantic cards too, though not enough that I would ever pay for a blower card on my personal work PC.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Yudo posted:

So that would be a pro AD104? Can a single slot cooler handle 200w, or would they clock it down compared to the 4070? I think the A4000 used GA104 if I am not mistaken.

I'm tired of gigantic cards too, though not enough that I would ever pay for a blower card on my personal work PC.

I believe it was a 3070 Ti core downclocked to require a 140W single slot cooler. Had my eye on one personally for a while - just couldn’t square the circle on the price.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s the opinion towards 7900XT at $700? Is that good given our crappy pricing circumcisions?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the Quadros are generally slower than the RTX cards so you might as well wait for blower RTXs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

What’s the opinion towards 7900XT at $700? Is that good given our crappy pricing circumcisions?

Pardon?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

Magnificent typo, though I agree with the sentiment that video card pricing is painful. IMO, 7900XT for $700 = good. If it had released at $750, AMD might have had a winner.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

buglord posted:

700 bucks for what's slightly faster than a 3090 in general seems like a pretty good price I'd say.

edit: lol i didn't even notice the typo, incredible

Shipon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 25, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

buglord posted:

ouch

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yudo posted:

Power will come way down due to factory underclock - 3070 was a 220W TBP in its gaming incarnation and 140W in the A4000 with the single-slot blower (boost clock is specified at 1560 MHz) despite actually having a few more cores unlocked (same as 3070 Ti, but with GDDR6).

Anyway you could probably do a 4070 ish SKU in about the same form factor, I'd think. It'd still have to be way underclocked of course but Ada is actually even better at this, Ada is actually at the very top of its power curve and gets almost no scaling from additional voltage, but what I've heard is that it drops a ton of power if you are willing to underclock a bit. Which is probably the shape of things to come for 5nm/4nm/3nm/2nm products.

Really it's more about the form factor than anything, I want it for a NAS build and the chassis only has single-slot (and standard length ish). Also, I really don't know of any workstations/servers that are particularly built around the odd combination of long+low profile 2-slot blower either. I guess maybe they're intended to be put into a 2U server chassis directly on the board, with 2-slot spacing on the motherboard? It's just a very weird product to me although maybe it makes sense for some particular edge compute use.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

buglord posted:

It's a hell of a cut!

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

I believe it was a 3070 Ti core downclocked to require a 140W single slot cooler. Had my eye on one personally for a while - just couldn’t square the circle on the price.

shrike82 posted:

the Quadros are generally slower than the RTX cards so you might as well wait for blower RTXs

Paul MaudDib posted:

Power will come way down due to factory underclock - 3070 was a 220W TBP in its gaming incarnation and 140W in the A4000 with the single-slot blower (boost clock is specified at 1560 MHz) despite actually having a few more cores unlocked (same as 3070 Ti, but with GDDR6).

Anyway you could probably do a 4070 ish SKU in about the same form factor, I'd think. It'd still have to be way underclocked of course but Ada is actually even better at this, Ada is actually at the very top of its power curve and gets almost no scaling from additional voltage, but what I've heard is that it drops a ton of power if you are willing to underclock a bit. Which is probably the shape of things to come for 5nm/4nm/3nm/2nm products.

Really it's more about the form factor than anything, I want it for a NAS build and the chassis only has single-slot (and standard length ish). Also, I really don't know of any workstations/servers that are particularly built around the odd combination of long+low profile 2-slot blower either. I guess maybe they're intended to be put into a 2U server chassis directly on the board, with 2-slot spacing on the motherboard? It's just a very weird product to me although maybe it makes sense for some particular edge compute use.

Thanks all. That makes sense. Perhaps PMD is right given how well Lovelace under volts. I doubt it is a major priority for team green, though I think it would be a useful form factor.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lenovo 4060
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18958/lenovo-develops-geforce-rtx-4060-in-miniitx-formfactor

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can't put the power connector on the end of a gaming card that's illegal

i'm telling jensen

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

i'm telling jensen

Some of my favorite GPUs I ever had in hindsight were that setup. ATI X800 Pro, and the AMD 5850/5870.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

buglord posted:

just a little off the top, thanks

7900XT at $700 is good, it's sort of splitting the difference between 4070 Ti and 4080 and costs about the same as 4070 Ti right now. The feature/driver argument is well-trodden but NVIDIA is selling you 12GB in that price range vs the 7900XT at 20GB, and the 7900XT is 34% faster than a 4070 and 10% faster than the 4070 Ti (1440p raster from the meta-review). You still should be adding maybe 10% slack for DLSS and XeSS performance here, but AMD is selling you quite a bit more raster and a lot more VRAM to make up for it.

Early "meh" reviews were based on it being $900 (and false hope of midrange blowing it away in value), at $700 it's a different story imo. That puts it in sparring distance with the 4070, and it's fundamentally a way higher-end card design while the 4070 is really a midrange product. At $700 lol ok it's $100 more than the 4070, and no DLSS, but it's an actual flagship card at a decent price and has more VRAM and 34% more raster perf. And as for the 4070 Ti, $749 is just way too much money to spend on a 12GB card. 4080 needs to be $900 at absolute most.

7600 (7500 6GB cutdown?), 4060, 4070, 7900XT, and 4090 are almost the only current-gen parts worth bothering with. And I think the value argument of used/clearance last-gen stuff diminishes at $700+.

NVIDIA and partners been rumored to have a lot of this stuff built out already, on boards, they were building a ton in 2022 and waiting for Ampere to sell through, like building a ton of 4060 8GB and 4070 Ti 12GB and so on. And nobody wants to write down inventory that's on the books, they'll shunt production elsewhere and wait for it to sell through, just like Ampere and RX 6000. So some of these super dumb NVIDIA SKUs may be things they built out and now have to wait for them to actually sell through before they can do some of the coarse adjustment ($500 4060 Ti 16GB/$1200 4080 are both absurd unsalable products).

Finally done with the Ampere inventory bubble - now onto the Ada inventory bubble.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 25, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Some of my favorite GPUs I ever had in hindsight were that setup. ATI X800 Pro, and the AMD 5850/5870.

it's fun revisiting old video cards and observing how the cooling solutions for them were so much smaller in scale

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

i'm telling jensen

God I wish there was a 3080/4070 with a power connector on the end, having two cables running up the middle looks janky as hell

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the popular theory is that nvidia (usually) forbids gaming cards from having end-mounted power connectors to make them harder to fit into servers, but cards with oversized PCBs wouldn't fit into servers regardless of the power connector position so they could at least let us have it in those cases

if you check the workstation versions of nvidia cards, they do have the power connectors on the end

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

buglord posted:

We might want a Geforce in the sheets but we often end up with a Radeon off the streets.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

repiv posted:

the popular theory is that nvidia (usually) forbids gaming cards from having end-mounted power connectors to make them harder to fit into servers, but cards with oversized PCBs wouldn't fit into servers regardless of the power connector position so they could at least let us have it in those cases

if you check the workstation versions of nvidia cards, they do have the power connectors on the end

In gaming cards the cooler (especially these days) is way longer than the actual board, the board on my Zotac 4070Ti is about 2/3rds the length of the cooler which is probably why the SFF single fan 4060s are the ones getting end mounted connectors.

shrike82 posted:

it's fun revisiting old video cards and observing how the cooling solutions for them were so much smaller in scale

I especially love the really old cards that are just a small fan and heatsink plopped on the GPU die itself with the rest of the board bare.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

In gaming cards the cooler (especially these days) is way longer than the actual board, the board on my Zotac 4070Ti is about 2/3rds the length of the cooler which is probably why the SFF single fan 4060s are the ones getting end mounted connectors.

I especially love the really old cards that are just a small fan and heatsink plopped on the GPU die itself with the rest of the board bare.

the pattern started well before short PCBs became a thing though, on the full-length reference designs you could see they have footprints for an end-mounted power connector (to be used on workstation cards) or side-mounted power (for gaming cards) on the very same PCB layout

i'm guessing the lenovo card is exempt from the rule because it's an OEM-only part, i think the ada ITX cards sold at retail all have the power connector in the usual intentionally awkward spot

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

njsykora posted: