Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Had a dragon of some sort visit Copenhagen a few weeks ago, and I remembered the photo just now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was out getting some food today, and was surprised to see a family of pronghorn here in the middle of town. It's not too uncommon further out towards the edges, but it's rare to see them this far in.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

drat thats cool

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They are freaky-looking things. Closest living relatives are giraffes and okapis iirc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like em, they're much more interesting than deer as the default large animal to see running around. And they're fast, too - the fastest land animal in North America, and in the top few worldwide. They can hit highway speeds if they're spooked.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Add mosquitoes (:smith:) and fireflies (:unsmith:) to the list of bugs that seem to have really enjoyed the mild winter

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm going on a trip to Tasmania soon and I will probably have a bunch of stuff to post, and I kinda want to get back into hiking/nature photography in general. I was wondering what the best image hosts are now that imgur seems to be getting worse and is full of ads on mobile. I'm okay with paying a bit if the hosting is good and the site useful and ad free. Figured I'd ask here but if there's a better place to ask I can go elsewhere.

edit: tax

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2023

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

This emerald moth on work's front door this morning was kind enough to sit still for the ~60 photos that got smooshed into this image:

Looks like they've had a few close calls based on the missing wing scales.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
WOWZA, that's a great shot! Great model too from the sound of it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm going on a trip to Tasmania soon and I will probably have a bunch of stuff to post, and I kinda want to get back into hiking/nature photography in general. I was wondering what the best image hosts are now that imgur seems to be getting worse and is full of ads on mobile. I'm okay with paying a bit if the hosting is good and the site useful and ad free. Figured I'd ask here but if there's a better place to ask I can go elsewhere.

edit: tax

There’s always Flickr.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There’s always Flickr.

Doesn't that make you link to the flickr social media album poo poo?

Well whatever.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 24, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ladybug (or Ladybird if you're british)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well whatever.

I use imgbb when the attachment function isn’t working on the Awful App.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well whatever.

I don't know what that means but Flickr gives you bbcode to paste in (here with the extra links for photo name and user name deleted)

here pulling only the img part out of the code so it doesn't link back.

I haven't really used anything else to share here so can't speak to how easy it is over other hosts.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
BABIES! And is that mom up top or a different species?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
different species, i believe, they're a little ways from each other. but i'm no spider-man

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mozi posted:

different species, i believe, they're a little ways from each other. but i'm no spider-man

Curious that you always seem to be around in the right place to get perfect photos, though...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
there was a spider under my pillow last night o_o

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

there was a spider under my pillow last night o_o

So, this morning, there was a silver dollar under your pillow, right? From the spider fairy?

Flower crab spider. They can change color over several days to match whatever plant they hunt on. They just chill on flowers until their meal comes strolling by.

I have no clue what species the babies in the other picture are.

Ivan is being a rude rear end in a top hat again and sitting by the feeders.

So Wee Mad Arthur used the feeder behind him instead.
I’ve seen one of the girls do the same when the other females won’t let her get a drink, since they won’t come near the cat. She just uses the scary predator as a shield while remaining out of his reach.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 25, 2023

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

coastal VA trail cam friends

raccoon

squirrel

eastern coyote? this pupper has HUGE pawprints and I'm glad to get him on camera somewhat

turkey family

deer

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

shooting range friends

and on the way home we followed a rainbow all the way to the end and there were just these goats

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

So, this morning, there was a silver dollar under your pillow, right? From the spider fairy?

I have no clue what species the babies in the other picture are.

If there was a silver dollar it was a very small spider-size one :(

I'll definitely be monitoring the babies and will update with any new developments.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Here's a fun one. Two bigass bumble bee mimic robber flies getting busy.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

This guy just dropped down right next to my food. I’m going to guess that the steam woke it up so it decided to move. It stayed there long enough for me to take the picture and disappeared as soon as I looked away.

According to Google, this most likely a male grass spider. So the spider species that set up some super fancy condos in my mom’s bushes. They would run from 1 funnel balcony to another through the bush, showing off their ability to build fancy, roomy apartments from silk that comes out of their butts.

My attempt at building a home from stuff that comes out of my butt was not nearly as successful. Must be my lack of spinnerets.

Bored fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 25, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bored posted:

This guy just dropped down right next to my food. I’m going to guess that the steam woke it up so it decided to move. It stayed there long enough for me to take the picture and disappeared as soon as I looked away.

My attempt at building a home from stuff that comes out of my butt was not nearly as successful. Must be my lack of spinnerets.

We do have a home-building and repair thread

:kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

tiny friend tried to settle in at my basement work space

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I believe this is a Ladybug larva - found it on the same plants as the adult I posted yesterday.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Critterquest journal - July 2023

The turkeys have started banding together...I don't know if this is good or bad :tinfoil:

First, there was one: I accepted & befriended it with a small gift of nuts & blueberries.

Soon, there were two - a lovely couple with even temperament, a bit chatty at times.

Then...there came FOUR :stare: a veritable tiny herd of modern dinosauruses

This morning....an addition to the flock, a FIFTH feathery boi joining the Turkey Club (no sandwich pun intended)

This has been an interesting turn of events...should I not return to the thread, please call 911. Report any posts disparaging Thanksgiving, with egregious misspelling, or random gobbling nonsense. I will continue diligently monitoring the situation on all fronts, pray for me.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 27, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone! I just caught up on the last 400 posts or so (my wife likes to read this thread with me) and basically none of the images hosted on ibb.co load. I got one to load after opening it in a seperate tab and refreshing it a few times, so they're not gone, it just looks like that host can't hack it right now. Just an FYI.

Meanwhile, now that I'm caught up, some critters:

My folks place in colorado springs is near a park that was full of bugs. These were the most photogenic:

and the, I presume, female of the same species:

Back home (bay area california) we've been painting and this jumper was trying to hide from me amongst the painting stuff. I had to sort of gently follow her around with the phone to get a decent shot. I needed to shoo her anyway, all this stuff was gonna get put in the garage shortly.

A very pretty and noisy borb in Mendocino, back in May

April: we wandered in a local arboretum and spotted bugs doing spring things

I have a whole lot of blurry photos of this huge flying fuzzy orange bug. I think a bumble bee of some variety? Xylocopa sonorina? I wish I had a better shot but they were zooming a lot and never seemed to land or get close.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
possibly a hummingbird moth?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's a bee fly of some sort.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I think valley carpenter bee is right, there seems to be some huge eyes on that boy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

looked at some pics and that's a likely ID, the yeti

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That looks like a pretty big jumper. I don’t think I’ve seen them that big I only see tiny ones, and rarely.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Our friends are still hanging around the neighborhood:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Butt smile! :buddy:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 27, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Our friends are still hanging around the neighborhood:

Nice, any idea what they are? My big wonky bird identification skills don't go much beyond herons.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 28, 2023

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sandhill cranes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

We had some sandhill cranes round my parents farm a couple months back, i dont know why they pick places like the middle of barren fields or off the sides of roads to hang out but its neat to see them.