Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Clark Nova posted:

They got got for fake amazon reviews when amazon decided to prove they were ~doing something~ about the problem.

e: it is, of course, still possible to buy a five-pack of five-star rated, 1000+ review FLMNKSBIOUWGR brand MFI certified lightning cables for $3 that will literally start falling apart before you can plug them into your phone

The most baffling thing is that, unlike other alphabet soup brands, their products were perfectly fine and the bulk of the reviews were genuine. It was something like 1-3% of boosted reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

SlowBloke posted:

The most baffling thing is that, unlike other alphabet soup brands, their products were perfectly fine and the bulk of the reviews were genuine. It was something like 1-3% of boosted reviews.

Probably had some metrics showing it competed too much with Amazon basics poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Same with Ravpower. I have a ton of their stuff and it was well made at 60% cost of Anker (which has gotten as expensive as other more well known 3rd parties) and they were pulled off Amazon. You can still find their stuff on their own site and on unbranded Amazon listings as well.

They weren’t even buying “fake reviews” they were reimbursing people for posting Amazon reviews. They were still real buyers (although their opinions were heavily slanted)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SlowBloke posted:

Lol, I guess they hired an MBA who said they needed to boost their numbers? That sucks. I like what I own and like I said they are (or were) recommended by legit websites like Wirecutter which is where I go for a quick recommendation/starting place.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

My oldest are from 2013, and I have under 2 GB total on my phone. iCloud says 15 GB. (I do delete things, though.) Are you all not using iCloud Messages?

yup i am, i’ve got 21gb of messages content on my phone. lots of video, that sort of stuff. i just have enough storage i don’t think it’s bothering to offload much, and i’m very much not concerned about it since i’ve still got 100gb free on my phone.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

They got got for fake amazon reviews when amazon decided to prove they were ~doing something~ about the problem.

e: it is, of course, still possible to buy a five-pack of five-star rated, 1000+ review FLMNKSBIOUWGR brand MFI certified lightning cables for $3 that will literally start falling apart before you can plug them into your phone

Those brands get hit for fake/sponsored reviews too, it’s just that they usually don’t last long enough to build up name recognition like Aukey/RAVpower did.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Love it when you click on the top rated external SSD (12TB for $79) and all the reviews are for like coffee mugs and vitamin supplements.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Some Twitter users publicly posted about how companies like Aukey would include a little card in the order essentially telling you that they will refund you the price of the product if you give them a 5 star reviews and Amazon caught wind and banned the bigger names doing it.

It's hard to trust anything on the Internet, nowadays - Reviewers are just looking for affiliate clicks, and most companies have to buy reviews to compete against other established brands. Finding legitimate reviews on Google is harder now, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 23, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Corb3t posted:

Some Twitter users publicly posted about how companies like Aukey would include a little card in the order essentially telling you that they will refund you the price of the product if you give them a 5 star reviews and Amazon caught wind and banned the bigger names doing it.

It's hard to trust anything on the Internet, nowadays - Reviewers are just looking for affiliate clicks, and most companies have to buy reviews to compete against other established brands. Finding legitimate reviews on Google is harder now, too.

I still have the cards since i used to pretty buy everything aukey. The cards suggest to leave a positive review if you liked the product but no hints at free money (I would have made bank on it if they did lol).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have an Aukey LED desk lamp that I've been using daily for like 4 years now :shobon: Fake Amazon reviews are definitely a real problem, though.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

I have an Aukey LED desk lamp that I've been using daily for like 4 years now :shobon: Fake Amazon reviews are definitely a real problem, though.

Yes that was the great irony, the Aukey products were absolutely of decent quality. I believe I have an Aukey vent mount clip as my one and only car phone mount for about 4 years as well, and it has been excellent.

I wouldn't care enough to make an account on a non-Amazon site when it breaks to get a replacement though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Aukey dashcam has been great for two years. Why did they have to die while FGHOXXY and LIQQRL live on???!!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I did give an Aukey product a bad review and they definitely offered to refund me 2x to remove the review.

It got a little out of hand there.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

slave to my cravings posted:

I replaced the battery (was <80% capacity) on my 12 mini about a month ago because it was losing charge pretty quickly and was often warm to the touch. Still having the problem a month later with the new apple store replaced battery. It drops from 100% to 70% in 2 hours overnight while doing nothing! New battery is 100% capacity. Literally no data in the battery usage section for those 2 hours. I cleared out a bunch of space by offloading photos, iOS updated, turned off Bluetooth, stopped sharing my location, turned off background app refresh, literally everything I can think of to improve battery performance. Is it time to just factory reset and set up as a new device? Anyone else have this problem and that fixed it?

I'm facing pretty much the same issue as you are with my 11. I'm probably going to try that and will let you know if it fixes my issue.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 16.6 is out now if you aren't on the 17 beta.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like a sucker for using the default wallpapers but they’re actually pretty decent. I think I’ve used the built in ones for a few years now? I especially like the new astronomy themed ones in iOS17 that do a neat little zoom in animation once you unlock your phone and go to your Home Screen. Overall, the entire update feels pretty meh aside from a few new features that I enjoy. But with how hard everything else tech is enshittifying, I guess I should be happy that nothing is actively getting worse/more user hostile in iOS 17, at least that I can tell?

For those with really old phones, it runs about the same as 16 on my XR. There was an initial day and a half where it was a little sluggish but now it feels just like I remember.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

buglord posted:

I feel like a sucker for using the default wallpapers but they’re actually pretty decent. I think I’ve used the built in ones for a few years now? I especially like the new astronomy themed ones in iOS17 that do a neat little zoom in animation once you unlock your phone and go to your Home Screen. Overall, the entire update feels pretty meh aside from a few new features that I enjoy. But with how hard everything else tech is enshittifying, I guess I should be happy that nothing is actively getting worse/more user hostile in iOS 17, at least that I can tell?

For those with really old phones, it runs about the same as 16 on my XR. There was an initial day and a half where it was a little sluggish but now it feels just like I remember.

If you're into Nintendo, they very specifically released some iPhone res wallpapers for summer TotK

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I asked in the home automation thread but figured I’d ask here too

Is there no way to share a Home Key? I assumed you could through Wallet but nope. I just installed an Aquara U100 and it works wonderfully but I’d like to let my mom have access to the house, ideally without adding her as a member of the house. The only option I see is guest codes

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Missing Donut posted:

I'm facing pretty much the same issue as you are with my 11. I'm probably going to try that and will let you know if it fixes my issue.

I ended up doing a factory reset with no restore from back up and it seems to have fixed the problem. It could have been a location services issue or find my phone issue or something related to migrating the phone across 3 different generations. Either way it seems to have worked and I went like 4 hours without my phone dropping a single % from 100 while on low power mode. I’ve kept location services off for now but still pretty wild. Find my phone is still on but location is disabled for it so you can ping it but won’t see its location on a map.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I asked in the home automation thread but figured I’d ask here too

Is there no way to share a Home Key? I assumed you could through Wallet but nope. I just installed an Aquara U100 and it works wonderfully but I’d like to let my mom have access to the house, ideally without adding her as a member of the house. The only option I see is guest codes

Here's the directions for home keys.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/unlock-your-door-with-a-home-key-iph0dc255875/ios

Since the home key is part of your 'home' a user would have to be part of your house to use it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Dark Mode suppose to switch off when the Sleep Alarm goes off? I just started using the Sleep Alarm and noticed it’s been doing that, even though it’s still dark out (and according to Weather.app the sun didn’t rise for another 1+ hours). I have Dark Mode set to auto from Sunset to Sunrise.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 25, 2023

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

slave to my cravings posted:

I ended up doing a factory reset with no restore from back up and it seems to have fixed the problem. It could have been a location services issue or find my phone issue or something related to migrating the phone across 3 different generations. Either way it seems to have worked and I went like 4 hours without my phone dropping a single % from 100 while on low power mode. I’ve kept location services off for now but still pretty wild. Find my phone is still on but location is disabled for it so you can ping it but won’t see its location on a map.

I’ve always limited location services to just a couple apps and only while using the app, just on principle. I don’t think my phone experience has ever been degraded by that setting, but give it a shot and see if it works for you.

I also reset my phone last night and I woke up with the phone using 1% of the battery overnight, so it seems like the reset fixed my phone as well. Maybe it’s just a good idea to reset the phone after replacing the battery.

I had been considering a reset for a couple weeks, and your post was the final motivation I needed to give it a shot. So thanks for the post and your follow up, my phone will be a lot more usable today!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Missing Donut posted:

I’ve always limited location services to just a couple apps and only while using the app, just on principle. I don’t think my phone experience has ever been degraded by that setting, but give it a shot and see if it works for you.

I also reset my phone last night and I woke up with the phone using 1% of the battery overnight, so it seems like the reset fixed my phone as well. Maybe it’s just a good idea to reset the phone after replacing the battery.

I had been considering a reset for a couple weeks, and your post was the final motivation I needed to give it a shot. So thanks for the post and your follow up, my phone will be a lot more usable today!

:cheers:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also just realized you could just reset Location & Privacy settings with the Reset button in settings. That seems useful to start over.

Edit: wow that sure resets a lot of settings, like basically all prompts for Face ID and Bluetooth and Health etc.

Edit 2: hmm, lots of Health apps don’t seem to particularly notice having all their permissions revoked, so you have to turn them off and on to get it to reprompt you. Or just go in to the Health app and toggle them back on manually.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 25, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was there was a way to reset all notification settings in a similar way.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
As good a thread as any to ask this - could do with some kind of hub for smarthome stuff, and it might be nice to have a homepod mini in the kitchen. Does anyone know how it holds up in a shared home? As in, where we are not all on some apple 'family' network, but are just flatmates. Is stuff gonna fall apart? Am I going to get random peoples voicemails or they mine?

edit: probably useful to point out that not everyone in the flat has an iphone but also my partner and I are the only people in the flat with smart home controlled stuff

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 25, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh poo poo, Apple Music shows the animated album artwork on the now playing window now. Sick.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My iphone 12 suddenly started getting all stuttery and slow recently. Now its like this all the time. What the gently caress?

I havent changed anything or done anything different. I hope Apple didn't nerf iphones again, and do that planned obsolescence bullshiz.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
they did op, sorry. you have 72 hours to buy a new iphone. you don't wanna find out what happens after that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ChocNitty posted:

My iphone 12 suddenly started getting all stuttery and slow recently. Now its like this all the time. What the gently caress?

I havent changed anything or done anything different. I hope Apple didn't nerf iphones again, and do that planned obsolescence bullshiz.
Owned bitch. Old phone much?? Lmfao!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nuke it 😈

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

What is your battery health percentage? My phone started going wonky when it hit 80%.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ChocNitty posted:

They've never done that poo poo. They may not allow certain features in OS updates/upgrades on older models but there's no lines of code in them that says "make the iPhone 8 run like poo poo.'

I would give it a hard reset in addition to checking the battery health.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

My phone (14 pro) was getting weirdly slow/stuttery earlier today. Rebooted it and it was fine. Probably just some app behaving badly.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Kalman posted:

My phone (14 pro) was getting weirdly slow/stuttery earlier today. Rebooted it and it was fine. Probably just some app behaving badly.

That happens regularly with both my iPad and iPhone. It also happened regularly with my android phones. I don’t really sweat it until it happens at an inconvenient time, when I’ll proceed to bitch about it for 5-10 seconds.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jose Oquendo posted:

They've never done that poo poo. They may not allow certain features in OS updates/upgrades on older models but there's no lines of code in them that says "make the iPhone 8 run like poo poo.'

On an iPhone 12 it's not an update making your phone slow, but it's incorrect to say that they've never done it.

From time to time they sign old OS versions (accidentally?) and you can downgrade your iPad 2 to IOS5 or your iPhone SE to IOS9. The speed difference is night and day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of slowness, does Spotlight take forever randomly, or is it just an old phone thing? Sometimes I can type “Sl” and it’ll immediately show Slack, other times I’ll have to type “Slack” and I’ll have a delayed result after 10 seconds or just no result period.

I’m kinda hoping it’s just my old phone but I could have sworn I saw someone with a 14 here say they were having this issue and that doesn’t bode well for me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

buglord posted:

Speaking of slowness, does Spotlight take forever randomly, or is it just an old phone thing? Sometimes I can type “Sl” and it’ll immediately show Slack, other times I’ll have to type “Slack” and I’ll have a delayed result after 10 seconds or just no result period.

I’m kinda hoping it’s just my old phone but I could have sworn I saw someone with a 14 here say they were having this issue and that doesn’t bode well for me.

It’s an old phone thing

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

~Coxy posted:

On an iPhone 12 it's not an update making your phone slow, but it's incorrect to say that they've never done it.

From time to time they sign old OS versions (accidentally?) and you can downgrade your iPad 2 to IOS5 or your iPhone SE to IOS9. The speed difference is night and day.

Old software running faster on old hardware isn't evidence of the new software deliberately knee-capping old platforms, it's the result of continuing feature development (required by the market) and a focus on recent platforms (updated platforms also required by the market).

Apple like everyone else isn't trying for perfection, they are trying for "just good enough" to keep the business viable. You can argue that their standard for "just good enough" is better or worse than other businesses, but guaranteed they are never trying for perfection. Supporting old platforms when doing new features is very expensive for development, testing, and support, so the "just good enough" strategy is to stop supporting old stuff because the loss in revenue from people with old platforms walking away completely is more than offset by people adopting the new platforms. There could be a way to support everything with minimal cost while keeping adding features (which is necessary in this market), but nobody has figured it out yet.

Alternatively, during release planning, someone has the job to add the line item "Make platform X-3 dogshit slow, heh heh heh" and then they assign that line item to the intern they have in from CMU for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What can I do to make the battery wear faster? Battery health on my 13 Pro is at 85%, and I'd love to get a free replacement under AppleCare before it expires on October 1. I think it needs to be at 80% before they'll do a replacement? But even if I can get it down to 82/83 I feel like my chances are good.

EDIT: Actually - I'm definitely going to be getting a screen replacement before AppleCare is up (I live that case-less life and my screen has a ton of micro scratches and one real scratch that can catch a fingernail on it). If I go in for a screen replacement AND a battery replacement at once - are they going to do both to my phone? Or are they just going to give me a new (refurb) phone?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 27, 2023