Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I use OneNote for work stuff a lot. I wouldn't go to bat for it or anything, but I've found it mostly intuitive to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Has any human being ever used Onenote?

Oh you thought you deleted those printers three times already?

Theeeeeey're back!

I use it as a catch bin for links and infographics. Half the time though I forget it even exists along with the notes therein.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

teen witch posted:

I don’t have any kids so no ponies in this race, but apparently trying to get daycare for kids is REALLY insane these days. Super expensive and very few slots.

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

*im not wondering, let’s be real.
Childcare is actually insanely loving expensive. Daycare, preschool, whatever. We ended up paying $7,200 for our kid to go to preschool for a year and the place was poo poo and our kid hated it. Naturally, you couldn't withdraw for a partial refund.

As for your question as to whether teaching is such a poorly compensated job because it is regarded as "women's work," but yes, that absolutely is a component.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Time_pants posted:

Childcare is actually insanely loving expensive. Daycare, preschool, whatever. We ended up paying $7,200 for our kid to go to preschool for a year and the place was poo poo and our kid hated it. Naturally, you couldn't withdraw for a partial refund.

As for your question as to whether teaching is such a poorly compensated job because it is regarded as "women's work," but yes, that absolutely is a component.

lol they're making us pay kid rent now. I've heard people say their daycare bill is 1800 a month, my apartment in Los Angeles is less than that a month.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Theeeeeey're back!

I did when I was in university, but that's mostly because I had Surface devices so I just hand wrote all my notes on them. Was really convenient, especially if you had a (pirated) digital textbook too because then you could just clip the actual diagrams straight from it and paste it into your notes.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Very uniquely Canadian thing but Shopper's Drug Marts don't have any employees outside the pharmacy anymore. All checkouts are self checkouts and the whole store is run on the honour system now. Weren't we told if minimum wage didn't go up this wouldn't happen? I'm starting to think that we might have been mislead...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Ok so how many times did you Onenote users use a OneNote printer driver?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Somehow less than zero times.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I feel like they should make all printers run of bit blockchain, just to you know concentrate all the inherent evil IT stuff in one place.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Can you toss $100 their way to have a credit on the account and then just keep the credit topped off each quarter?

I get it's an example of enshittification, I just always try to fix things

Good Idea, might be worth a try.

Buce posted:

50 dollars a quarter?????

water is so loving expensive in portland

What can I say, New Zealand is a wet country. My electricity sometimes hits $100/month in winter though, and that's for one person in a small flat. I used to share in a top of the line fibre connection and that cost $120/mo too.

Time_pants posted:

I was talking to a someone at a party a while back and it was pretty eye opening. They were talking about if she gave up work and took care of the kids, the household would be something like a $150/week worse off. Essentially one adult was working purely to pay for the daycare.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zero, but I also haven’t printed anything at work since probably 2018

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I got so sick of ads i got a RaspberryPi to make a thing called PiHole that blocks all ads across your home network. After setting the PiHole up and doing a bunch of stuff in the command prompt and watching lots of youtubes, I had to change some kind of port forwarding on the router. But I could not, because the router is a Comcast router and I was blocked from changing these settings. God drat piece of poo poo.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

You should get your own router and modem. I have my own and comcast is constantly trying to tell me it’s outdated and too slow so they can milk that extra money out of me on a monthly basis.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
farts

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

holefoods posted:

You should get your own router and modem. I have my own and comcast is constantly trying to tell me it’s outdated and too slow so they can milk that extra money out of me on a monthly basis.
xfinity's app will test your modem speeds and let you know whether it's taking advantage of the speed you're subscribed to

the app will even issue an upgrade through the mail if you're using their modem

then they send you the exact same piece-of-poo poo modem they already gave you originally

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Theeeeeey're back!

OneNote is perfect for one very specific type of data being presented in a very specific way. I can't imagine it being good for literally anything else.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

skooma512 posted:

lol they're making us pay kid rent now. I've heard people say their daycare bill is 1800 a month, my apartment in Los Angeles is less than that a month.
"nobody wants to work"

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
… boners

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

skooma512 posted:

My wife worked at a childcare center for like 14 years and in the early 2010s, it cost $2400 a month to send a toddler-aged kid there. It's a, uh, upscale "child development center" and she had the kids of football and basketball players, lawyers, VPs and such in her classes, but that's still a lot. Even with her significant employee discount, we couldn't afford to send our kid there.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
grocery stores should go back to being 24/7.

more businesses should offer daycare on site. if you want people to not work from home, at least meet them halfway with certified care for their kids there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThinkTank posted:

Very uniquely Canadian thing but Shopper's Drug Marts don't have any employees outside the pharmacy anymore. All checkouts are self checkouts and the whole store is run on the honour system now. Weren't we told if minimum wage didn't go up this wouldn't happen? I'm starting to think that we might have been mislead...

it owns because it's super easy to steal stuff for fun

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Who needs child care. Just get a goat pen and a guard goat then you can just plop your child in there for however long you need.

More children should be raised by goats.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Time_pants posted:

OneNote is perfect for one very specific type of data being presented in a very specific way. I can't imagine it being good for literally anything else.

"Onenote is for taking notes! And it's free for everyone! People will FLOCK from word and use this weird, different program now, because everyone will be using Microsoft Surface and taking digital notes with a pen! Who needs good spell checking, it's just notes! Also, I love Microsoft Bob." - some Microsoft engineer.

If I'm collaborating with others, at least give me robust grammar and spell checking so the output is presentable. It's the worst of both worlds for me.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
AFAIK OneNote had a feature where you could paste in an image of text, and it would extract the text which you could then edit as you please (you had to edit anyway because the feature was never 100%). I'll award Microsoft 1 point for actually doing something new and useful..

Since I'm feeling generous, I also want to congratulate Prime Video for an actual kick rear end feature: the option to stop all autoplay. gently caress I hate autoplay so much, I pretty much always watch the credits and let my mind reflect on what I just watched. But streaming shits all over a quiet contemplative moment as you sober up from a gritty war epic that ended 15 seconds ago and suddenly the trailer to Surfboard Bong is blasting out your speakers. So loving obnoxious.

HBO had a kick rear end feature too: Leaving This Month which really helped me decide what to watch, for obvious reasons. Of course it's gone now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Microsoft bob would take off like wildfire if they gave someone passionate about it full control, the world is ready for strong skeumorphic design again

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
College course articulation.

LIsten, if this isn't going to actually count at all towards my degree, don't tease me with, "We accepted all your credit, as gen eds. I know your first choice school accepted them all as major requirements for this program... Seems like the only thing they didn't accept was you. Sorry, bad joke... Anyway, so, you know, you get to take them over, how cool is that?!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Microsoft bob would take off like wildfire if they gave someone passionate about it full control, the world is ready for strong skeumorphic design again

The world wasn't ready for Microsoft Bob, which was perfect in all possible ways.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

aniviron posted:

The world wasn't ready for Microsoft Bob, which was perfect in all possible ways.

There's a better world, a perfect world, where Microsoft bob became the prominent OS globally, alas that be not a world any of us will ever see.

:(

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Where the hell do you work

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Milk containers suck poo poo now. The old gallon jugs had a piece of the cap scored with a pull tab so you just very easily pulled the scored piece of cap off and BOOM, your milk is ready to be enjoyed. I hate that little thing under the cap now that’s supposed to peel off the tamper-proof membrane, but 9 times out of 10 just rips right off and you have to stab the membrane and peel it off with your fingers. I have a pretty strong grip and even I have trouble removing that drat thing. I can’t imagine how much harder it must be for elderly people with arthritis and the like.

It’s not just milk, either, but orange juice, tea, and anything else that comes in a one gallon jug.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also stuff that comes in those "resealable" plastic bags with a ziplock strip -- they seem to fail about half the time. either one side of the strip isn't glued strongly enough to the plastic and it just rips off after a few cycles, or the "cut here line" is in the wrong place and leaves a 1 mm of plastic to grip above the strip, or they don't align so you can't seal.

it's not exactly something that's gotten worse, but rather something i'd think manufacturing processes could've gotten right by now. some brands seem to to better than others, but anything that my local grocery store brand puts in those bags has a coin flip's chance of working.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Dip Viscous posted:

The coffee machine at work went from "push button, receive cup of coffee" to making us log in and scan fingerprints. Not only is it conceptually stupid as gently caress, the fingerprint reader stops recognizing my fingerprints every couple of days and I have to re-register. If I can register fingerprints at will without any other additional verification, how can they pretend it has a point? There was probably some rear end in a top hat getting 700 cups of coffee a day, but this doesn't solve it.

“we have spent $5,000 on the new coffee machine to potentially save $100 over the course of the year”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The price, quantity and quality of packaged food is going to drive us all to healthier foods

Until those are also price gouged (more )

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

You Are A Elf posted:

Milk containers suck poo poo now. The old gallon jugs had a piece of the cap scored with a pull tab so you just very easily pulled the scored piece of cap off and BOOM, your milk is ready to be enjoyed. I hate that little thing under the cap now that’s supposed to peel off the tamper-proof membrane, but 9 times out of 10 just rips right off and you have to stab the membrane and peel it off with your fingers. I have a pretty strong grip and even I have trouble removing that drat thing. I can’t imagine how much harder it must be for elderly people with arthritis and the like.

It’s not just milk, either, but orange juice, tea, and anything else that comes in a one gallon jug.

Sounds like you need the Milk Master 2000.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

also stuff that comes in those "resealable" plastic bags with a ziplock strip -- they seem to fail about half the time. either one side of the strip isn't glued strongly enough to the plastic and it just rips off after a few cycles, or the "cut here line" is in the wrong place and leaves a 1 mm of plastic to grip above the strip, or they don't align so you can't seal.

it's not exactly something that's gotten worse, but rather something i'd think manufacturing processes could've gotten right by now. some brands seem to to better than others, but anything that my local grocery store brand puts in those bags has a coin flip's chance of working.

yeah what's up with tear here stuff? I swear this poo poo used to work fine. now I just get out scissors every time. did they have to make them bullshit because too many people were just hulking out and tearing it apart or something? it's like less than useless now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Those built in zip locs are awful, just get a bunch of these

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dip Viscous posted:

If you're not registering your fingerprint as ShrekLust42069 I don't know what to tell you.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Dip Viscous posted:

I wanna hear more about this coffee maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

First it's the fingerprint coffee machine next it will be the anus print toilets.