Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dorium posted:

Well I went to go see Oppenheimer today and before that the trailer for the Exorcist played. I don’t remember the last time I’ve been in an audience where the entire audience LAUGHED. Just not small chuckles and chatter with whoever they were with, but big full belly laughs.

It was a scene man.

lol this happened in my screening yesterday too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

CelticPredator posted:

Rhodes imo really does elevate it. He’s so unhinged and hilarious

Rhodes is so unhinged that I'm worried he may be running for president in 2024.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I’M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW FRANKENSTEIN AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU’RE DOIN’ WITH MY TIME

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The dream with hands in the walls still haunts my nightmares

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna say it

It made me smile when that showed up in stranger things

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My favorite will always be Night but I adored Day when I saw it. I fell asleep before the TLDI showing but it sounds like the interviews were incredible. Day is just so entertaining and arresting with great performances, but it's that unforgettable score that really sells it for me. At times it feels straight from Zero Escape. Also the opening is magnificent, and thanks to M1 A1 by Gorillaz is permanently seared into my brain. Awesome film that gets way too bad a rap.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

ay is just so entertaining and arresting with great performances, but it's that unforgettable score that really sells it for me. At times it feels straight from Zero Escape. Also the opening is magnificent, and thanks to M1 A1 by Gorillaz is permanently seared into my brain. Awesome film that gets way too bad a rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dhURpGFy6g

Starts with the Lucio Fulci Tropical Zombi style themes but then ends up squarely in the George Romero humanity is hosed and you are "The Last of Us" among the zombies theme

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 25, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW FRANKENSTEIN AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU’RE DOIN’ WITH MY TIME

Too long for a thread title, sadly.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In clickbait list news, AV Club posted their 20 greatest haunted house movies today (https://www.avclub.com/20-best-haunted-house-movies-ranked-1850661917):

20. Dark Water (2002)
19. The Uninvited (1944)
18. Sinister (2012)
17. The Conjuring (2013)
16. The Woman in Black (1989)
15. 13 Ghosts (1960)
14. Paranormal Activity (2007)
13. The Changeling (1980)
12. The Others (2001)
11. The Orphanage (2007)
10. Lake Mungo (2008)
9. Beetlejuice (1988)
8. Crimson Peak (2015)
7. Poltergeist (1982)
6. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
5. His House (2020)
4. House (1977)
3. The Haunting (1963)
2. The Shining (1980)
1. The Innocents (1961)

Obviously, feel free to mock the most egregious snubs and baffling inclusions, but this is really an invitation for recommendations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nightmare on Elm Street is a haunted house movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

not including The Legend of Hell House is absolutely disqualifying

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Evil Dead is a haunted house movie and a drat good one.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The omission of Evil Dead make me think they were considering "cabin in the woods" as a separate sub-genre, but that only explains SOME of the ones they whiffed on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess you can say the evil dead movies are possession movies but so is the conjuring so it counts too

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

No Bill Rebane's The Game? For shame. Why, that film has it all: an incomprehensible plot, dreadful directing, a skeleton...

Hausu being in is pleasant, it's one of my favorites. The first Conjuring over The Conjuring 2 is not a choice I would have made but I guess the first one is much more of a Haunted House vs. the demonic possession of 2. Housebound would have been a great inclusion even if it's somewhat on the line as to what constitutes a Haunted House Movie. Sweet Home (1989) was pretty solid!

I would count Dave Made A Maze as a sort of haunted house variant, at least of the Funhouse variety, and I enjoy that movie a lot but know that's sort of out of the list's purview.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Paranormal Activity is explicit (maybe the sequels made this explicit?) that it's not a haunted house, it's a haunted lady with haunted artifacts.

Shining doesn't even take place in a house.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I wanted to do a theater double feature of Cobweb and Talk To Me this weekend since Barbenheimer went perfectly for me last week (two perfect films and in Barbie my film of the year), but the weather's deciding to be completely lovely for me (high 90s Wednesday through Saturday) so hopefully both are still playing next week

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 25, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

Paranormal Activity is explicit (maybe the sequels made this explicit?) that it's not a haunted house, it's a haunted lady with haunted artifacts.

Shining doesn't even take place in a house.

what is a person but a flesh house

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Event Horizon is a better haunted house movie than 13 Ghosts is

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Event Horizon is a better haunted house movie than 13 Ghosts is

13 Ghost ain’t got poo poo on Thir13en Ghosts

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Opopanax posted:

Oh and the normal warning when Descent talk starts up: do not, under any circumstances, watch Descent 2

I did not know there was a descent 2 and I'm gonna watch it and you can't stop me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s always fun to watch weirdo garbage sequels of great films that you’ve never heard of

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

I did not know there was a descent 2 and I'm gonna watch it and you can't stop me

You won't come back the same.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm 99% sure my love for the original made me see Descent 2 at some point but I can't remember a second of it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its bizarre that they left off House 1985 as a haunted house film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat, forgot how extremely good City of the Dead is. What a cool loving movie.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s always fun to watch weirdo garbage sequels of great films that you’ve never heard of

BRB going to watch American psycho 2

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There can’t be a Descent 2 because, as we’ve clearly established, she is never getting out of that cave.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She got out of it in 2

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

There can’t be a Descent 2 because, as we’ve clearly established, she is never getting out of that cave.

there was a cave inside the cave

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm still shocked that there were three sequels to Psycho and that I ended up liking them all

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

there was a cave inside the cave

but could she escape the cave inside herself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The cave isn’t a cave but a big ol butt

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess we're big old suckers for disappearing mannequins and Deep Lore, cause we watched all the Hell House LLCs and the sequels were ok (if, yes, diminishing returns and the silly messianic archetype being applied to the media mogul in 3)

We also watched Return of the Living Dead and that was great. My wife doesn't like zombie movies at all and she still enjoyed it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Crescent Wrench posted:

In clickbait list news, AV Club posted their 20 greatest haunted house movies today (https://www.avclub.com/20-best-haunted-house-movies-ranked-1850661917):

20. Dark Water (2002)
19. The Uninvited (1944)
18. Sinister (2012)
17. The Conjuring (2013)
16. The Woman in Black (1989)
15. 13 Ghosts (1960)
14. Paranormal Activity (2007)
13. The Changeling (1980)
12. The Others (2001)
11. The Orphanage (2007)
10. Lake Mungo (2008)
9. Beetlejuice (1988)
8. Crimson Peak (2015)
7. Poltergeist (1982)
6. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
5. His House (2020)
4. House (1977)
3. The Haunting (1963)
2. The Shining (1980)
1. The Innocents (1961)

Obviously, feel free to mock the most egregious snubs and baffling inclusions, but this is really an invitation for recommendations.

Random thoughts:

I haven’t seen the 1989 Woman in Black, maybe I should give it a shot

The original 13 Ghosts is not a good movie, I would even put the also terrible 2001 remake above it.

His House is very good but it feels too recent to say it’s an all-time great.

I’d put The Changeling and The Orphanage higher on the list, Crimson Peak much lower or maybe leave it off.

The lack of The Legend of Hell House is indeed a snub, it’s better than at least half of these.

Can’t really argue with the top three, even if I would personally rank them The Haunting > The Innocents > The Shining.

thank you for coming to my DEAD Talk

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cosmic horror is basically a haunted house, but the house is the known universe.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Cosmic horror is basically a haunted house, but the house is the known universe.

Coil has a song called 'The Universe is a haunted house'

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tag yourself

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astISOttCQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm 99% sure my love for the original made me see Descent 2 at some point but I can't remember a second of it

The only truly egregious bullshit in D2 is that in the 15 minutes since the first movie ends the Last Girl 1) ditches her working vehicle in favor of stumbling through the mountains and 2) spontaneously develops PTSD-induced short-term amnesia. Beyond that it's just more Descent, but not as good because now we're all familiar with the premise and they don't really do anything further with it. Still kind of worth it for the guano latrine scene if nothing else.

alf_pogs posted:

but could she escape the cave inside herself

What is a person except a flesh cave?

e:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 25, 2023