Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Philonius posted:

There's a lot of factors that compromised the shuttle.

NASA studied a number of concepts for a reusable launch vehicle, some of which would be more effective but more expensive to develop. Most concepts would be fully reusable too:

Nixon ended up authorizing the design that would be the cheapest to develop, even though everyone already expected it to be the most expensive in operation.

To secure continuing funding amidst the post-Apollo budget reductions, NASA wanted to make the military a key stakeholder in the project. This added some complicating design requirements. For example, the air force insisted that the vehicle should be able to launch into a polar orbit, deploy a satellite, and then land back at the launch base one orbit later. This means the shuttle needed the capability to steer some 1000 miles to the side when re-entering, as the Earth will have rotated by that amount under your orbital path in the hour it takes to go once around. To be able to do that, the shuttle would need to have much bigger wings that it otherwise would, which dramatically increases the area that needs protecting by a heat shield. This rules out the tried and tested metallic heat shields, which means relying on the fragile tiles that not only led to the loss of Columbia, but were extremely time consuming and expensive to service after each flight.

There's a comprehensive book on the subject available here : https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4221.pdf . It's a case study in feature creep.

sorry for necroposting but this sounds infuriating. thank you. I will read and hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EasilyConfused posted:

Child labor and terrible work conditions and racism? Sign me up!

finally communism Nazbols can't get behind

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Last one is obviously Ted Cruz

Actually that's Дэвид Прозопагнозки.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Emphasis on a dysfunctional targeting process.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Girkin cinematic universe promo looking sick

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Freedom? No, Strelkov!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

it's missing this picture

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Lol I made that up completely but life imitates art.

Don't do this without some indicator that it's a joke.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Kchama posted:

Don't do this without some indicator that it's a joke.

The lathe of heaven hears jokes too. :shrug:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Here's the finalized version. I, too, run dark mode and thought the text was poo poo.

Sign me the gently caress up

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

tiaz posted:

The lathe of heaven hears jokes too. :shrug:

That would explain the timeline we are in

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

zone posted:

Emphasis on a dysfunctional targeting process.
That's got to be the military intelligence equivalent of "aggressive disintegration at the molecular level"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/25/7412771/

quote:

Defence Intelligence has published a classified report for Russia's top military and political leadership, which contains information on the obstruction of the grain deal.
Details: In general, the text of the document is devoted to the technologies used to impede the implementation of the grain corridor and, as a result, led to the final breakdown of the agreement.

According to the report, the so-called "joint coordination centre" saw its main task as minimising the volume of grain exported under the grain agreement.

In particular, the document states: "High-quality inspection of vessels was also one of the key elements in curbing the uncontrolled growth of grain exports from Ukrainian ports. The activities of the Russian inspectors were conducted in strict accordance with the developed methodological documents on the organisation of ship inspections. As a result of the inspections, 46 vessels were restricted from participating in the Initiative, and 303 vessels were restricted for a total of 342 days".

The measures to disrupt the Black Sea Grain Initiative were divided into several stages.
At the first stage, on the initiative of the Russian president, Russia's participation in the grain agreement was suspended from 10 October 2022 to 3 November 2022.
Special attention was paid to the disruption of grain supplies under the World Food Programme: "Ukrainian attempts to use the Black Sea Initiative to continue the so-called ‘Grain from Ukraine’ programme involving vessels chartered under the World Food Programme have been stopped. Such vessels were registered only after submitting written commitments not to participate in such actions".

The authors of the report conclude: "The accumulated archive of knowledge will allow, when solving similar problems, to achieve a high level of efficiency in the shortest possible time".

The Ukrainian Defence Intelligence believes that if the grain agreement is extended, Russians will use all the accumulated "experience" to effectively disrupt the agreements.

The Ukrainian agency believes that the document shows that all actions to disrupt the grain deal are part of a single, pre-designed plan, and the targeted shelling of Ukrainian port infrastructure is just another step in its implementation.
Any tankies want to weigh in on this one? any at all?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

zone posted:

"I can't believe Amerikkka would do this"

The youtube video by the Anders guy linked yesterday fits with my general take on the grain deal, and it's yet another example of how "good faith" compromises with Russian interests, backed up by the ever present threat of Russian terror bombing and of broader humanitarian crises, is something that usually hurts more than it helps, although that's a lesson that 'political decorum' seems intent on re-learning the hard way every time an opportunity comes up

I'm curious to see what's going to happen going forward, and how Ukraine is going to get its grain moving again, and what Turkey's position will be on the continued militarisation of the Black Sea

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

zone posted:

I don't think we can definitively state this is an intentional attempt by Russia to use food as a weapon and starve millions of people for the political ends of a genocidal tyrant.

Its hotly contested and there is a body of academic opinion that this might just be administrative ineptitude rather than intentional...

...Oh sorry, thought this was the holodomor thread

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

zone posted:

Striking a blow against big agribusiness!! :ussr:

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Exceeds the size limit :( :( everything about it is perfect however

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

Finally looked it up, the limits are: 30kB max, up to 90x25px

The gif I was working with was 4 pixels too tall, so I had to take some more liberties and squish stuff down.

Here's the final, FINAL smilie: BEHOLD:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

The gif I was working with was 4 pixels too tall, so I had to take some more liberties and squish stuff down.

:perfect:

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

:five:

e: ok maybe a tiny change so that the text looks like a speech bubble...? Or just ship it.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

:five:

Edit: спаси́бі!

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 25, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

zone posted:

*In insanely intolerable voice* Ukraine was perfidiously encouraging african countries to rely on ukraine grain to blackmail thier warlords into sending their enslaved militia armies to die in world war 4 (currently occuring and started by the ukranazis).

By stopping the grain exports russia has encouraged a free an independent africa and ended racism.

*Huffs exhaust from admiral kuznetsov*

Further more, this is ACKSHULLY americas fault

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Saw this in d&d image thread, not sure what country it's from but the green sign next to the door doesn't seem to be in english

zone
Dec 6, 2016

quote:

Alex Parker Returns
From the field they report that Kleshcheevka, which is on the flank of Artemovsk, is on the verge of defeat and shameful surrender. It was possible to knock out our infantry with the help of these same cluster munitions.
Given the lack of reserves and rotation, the fall of Kleshcheevka is only a matter of time. Tuvan degenerate back for his own.
Blaming cluster munitions for demolishing you, I can understand. But why is literally everything Shoigu's fault when it's down to brass tacks that you buffoons can't fight properly?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mobby_6kl posted:

Saw this in d&d image thread, not sure what country it's from but the green sign next to the door doesn't seem to be in english

I think its Lithuania, I remember The Guardian's journalist sharing it when he was at the NATO summit.

IIRC, this is the shuttle bus that took journalists to the summit.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

*In insanely intolerable voice* Ukraine was perfidiously encouraging african countries to rely on ukraine grain to blackmail thier warlords into sending their enslaved militia armies to die in world war 4 (currently occuring and started by the ukranazis).

By stopping the grain exports russia has encouraged a free an independent africa and ended racism.

*Huffs exhaust from admiral kuznetsov*

Further more, this is ACKSHULLY americas fault

Even better, POCCNR's propagandists said yesterday that they already lost WWIII and are now fighting WWIV with all of NATO. Make of that what you will.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

:five: Gimme gimme gimme!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

I think its Lithuania, I remember The Guardian's journalist sharing it when he was at the NATO summit.

Yea you can see a blurry Lithuanian flag on the soldier's sleeve

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

Can I have this as a gang tag instead?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

:yeshaha:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Just thinking about how with Russia's use of the letter Z and the recent Twitter rebrand, the weird letters in the alphabet are really having a poo poo time of it right now. Thinking of poor Y right now.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

:kiss:

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

Amazing now I need it!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683795147870416897#m
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1683807151108546560#m
Colonel Serhiy Cherevaty, spox for Eastern Command, reported that POCCNR was driven out of Andriivka. And Osman from the Aidar battalion claims that Ukrainians now control half of Klischiivka, while the Z bloggers claim their troops are withdrawing.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Disco Pope posted:

Just thinking about how with Russia's use of the letter Z and the recent Twitter rebrand, the weird letters in the alphabet are really having a poo poo time of it right now. Thinking of poor Y right now.

Q got rode pretty hard, too

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Q got rode pretty hard, too

I think anything after P is on thin ice.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

You beat me to it. I was going to use my vast geoguessr knowledge to identify the soldier's flag badge.

:arghfist:

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014

Disco Pope posted:

If only we had heeded the warning W tried to give us in the early 2000s.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

luv it

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

what about ₽

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

.. Thinking of poor Y right now.

Is that a Y.... or a Þ in disguise? :cheeky: