Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

spincube posted:

Drake no: being horrified + disgusted at the depths some companies will sink to in order to keep their employees hungry, desperate, and fighting each other
Drake yes: blaming the employees

More CEOs should sink to the depths of the Titanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I think I am failing upwards. Rapid promotions where I have excelled, but the next one is being forced on me and I have no interest or experince with the role. I know if i don't do well they'll make me stick it out because they have "invested in me".

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Chocobo posted:

I think I am failing upwards. Rapid promotions where I have excelled, but the next one is being forced on me and I have no interest or experince with the role. I know if i don't do well they'll make me stick it out because they have "invested in me".

Congrats, Peter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's more of a Peter principle situation.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Chocobo posted:

hell yeah, fail even harder and see where it takes you.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Chocobo posted:

If you gently caress it up hard enough to make it someone else's issue, but not hard enough to get fired, you'll be promoted to a position where you'll have nothing to do.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

goatface posted:

That's more of a Peter principle situation.

Didn't know that term, that's the one.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I don’t normally post hot takes online but I can’t hold this in anymore:

If you’re in the market for a Very/Ultra High Vacuum cryopump and you buy from anyone other than Sumitomo Heavy Industries, you’re throwing your money away.

I know organizations that use CTI cryos, and I pity them more than I despise them.

Sumitomo cryo pumps: Accept no other, they’ll suck like your mother.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh thank god you said something I was just about to pull the trigger on a Very/Ultra High Vacuum cryopump on Alibaba.

Kinda sucks tho, was really looking forward to locking that caped rear end in a top hat and his sugardaddy in a large block of ice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm happy to hear that because I live in the city where Sumitomo began and they are still the biggest and most important company here (metal mining, forestry, chemical, heavy industries, materials research...)

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Tell them they do good work, I’m working on two machines side by side, one CTI one Sumitomo, and I want to throw the CTI machine into the drat ocean.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Someone came to work early today and microwaved fish for breakfast.

I... have no words.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Our marketing guy eats either a can of tuna or eggs every day for lunch, I had to use the phone in his office once when he was out and the smell of the mouthpiece almost made me throw up.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If a company has "Heavy Industry" in their name, there's a non zero chance they will build fighting robots eventually.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Skanky Burns posted:

I... have no words.

10am every day a guy in my office will crack open a thermos and eat black beans with a spoon for the next 20 minutes.

He's in the bathroom every half hour so I figure he has chrons or ibs or something. But that 20 minutes of metal on metal scrapping is torture.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One dude on my team once brought in some broccoli that he nuked and must has overcooked because it made the break room and our area smell like someone took a giant greasy poo poo. He kept insisting it smelled fine to him... Until about the third person not on our team asked if there was a problem with the restrooms because it smelled like one had backed up and no one wanted to go check.

At another job I worked with a dude who inhaled M&Ms. I don't mean he ate a lot - though he did. No, this mother fucker would put some in his hand, and suck them into his mouth. It sounded like he was eating soup.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slurping your M&Ms is how you show your compliments to the chef.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ravus Ursus posted:

10am every day a guy in my office will crack open a thermos and eat black beans with a spoon for the next 20 minutes.

He's in the bathroom every half hour so I figure he has chrons or ibs or something. But that 20 minutes of metal on metal scrapping is torture.

Exactly same meal my Sims 1 family enjoyed first time I played and forgot to buy them a means of cooking food.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Skanky Burns posted:

I... have no words.

Establish dominance

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cthulu Carl posted:

One dude on my team once brought in some broccoli that he nuked and must has overcooked because it made the break room and our area smell like someone took a giant greasy poo poo. He kept insisting it smelled fine to him... Until about the third person not on our team asked if there was a problem with the restrooms because it smelled like one had backed up and no one wanted to go check.

At another job I worked with a dude who inhaled M&Ms. I don't mean he ate a lot - though he did. No, this mother fucker would put some in his hand, and suck them into his mouth. It sounded like he was eating soup.

I worked with a guy who would occasionally show up with a mini slow cooker and plug it in under his desk so his chili or stew would be ready for lunch. You could smell it from a mile away; especially the time he showed up drunk, forgot it was there, swung around in his chair and knocked the crock pot over. The second you walked through the door the scent of chili would hit you for over a week after that one. That place was one where you simply couldn't put anything in the kitchen without it being stolen immediately. If he had put the slow cooker in the kitchen there wouldn't be anything in there by lunch. Because of that most of us just kept our lunches at our desks to avoid more intraoffice conflicts.

In current job stuff: I pushed back to hard on some program managers in the morning call because they've been asking where their quote was since two weeks before they had an approved drawing. I just unloaded on them and reminded the people involved that they had taken over two months to get me something I could send to the vendor and that it had only been a week since then while our standard lead time for a quote is two weeks. Lots of "but I want it" responses and them insisting that because the vendor has a previous operation on the same part they should have no problem quoting us for these completely different operations with different machining requirements in different areas. The two people most directly involved kept shouting "they've done this before" but couldn't explain when that was or how we possibly communicated those operations to the vendor when this was the first release of the drawings. The overall manager of the program had to diffuse the situation by demanding we took the conversation offline as it was pretty clear the project team had no idea what they were talking about. I've been on calls and emails since 8AM because of this and nothing gets us closer to a quote.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

We are having a meeting about the fifteen hours of meetings we had yesterday, and then I'm having a meeting about why we should not have a meeting about meetings but we should just maybe not have that many hours in a day ever let alone nothing but meetings.

Also the parent company in another country forced everyone in the home city back in office and immediately had a 40% attrition rate, so yesterday was mostly "it will be 90% attrition there and we've been remote first for fifteen years, don't try us or we'll force a sale to someone who won't gently caress with us and we're your only bloodbag."

I think they got the hint. I hope. Probably not, lol.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Randy Travesty posted:

We are having a meeting about the fifteen hours of meetings we had yesterday, and then I'm having a meeting about why we should not have a meeting about meetings but we should just maybe not have that many hours in a day ever let alone nothing but meetings.

Dilbert flavoured Kafka

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Barudak, are you going to hit your goals?
Yes
Lower them

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure they're not doing a fraud?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Comically inept money laundering scheme thwarted by Barduk's inability to fail upwards.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Does every single system we use have to be complete garbage?

Need to get documents to a client to DocuSign.

The way it should work: Docs created in system, info goes from another system to DocuSign, you adjust a couple of things and send.

The way it worked today: Docs created in system. System says it's about 2% too large of a file to send to DocuSign. Painstakingly and manually redownload documents, do a Microsoft Print to PDF in grayscale toner saving mode, painstakingly and manually reupload them to get it just BARELY under the limit for the system to put the stupid loving docs in DocuSign.

Manually tag the documents in DocuSign. Choose that they are correct and go to upload. Throws up an error code saying something is wrong with them, but not in a way that makes it easy to fix. Double check each and every field. Google the error code and get sent to DocuSign developer websites. I am not a web developer. I have no idea how to fix this, and if you want me to learn to code, I need to make 50% more than I currently do.

By this point I have already stayed an hour late. I put in an IM to the person I am helping with this (admittedly, she reviewed my docs on a different account in return, but mine took about 15 minutes), who had already left detailing the error, and walked away.

This week is going to be a poo poo show.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
This is probably fake but I still tweaked my back from cringing so hard:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm quitting to go do mushrooms in the woods until the bombs fall

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

They're just trying to hide the fact that ChatGPT is doing their job

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

love 2 explicate my thoughts on the most recent sprint

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Takes No Damage posted:

The most painful part is that the final line requires the quote attribution to make it rhyme. :doh:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Love to meet with our agile coach to get told we’re doing it all wrong, then zero follow up until a year later with a different coach to repeat the process.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm so agile I can't be found when its time to train me on it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Manager: Why weren't you at the agile training?
Me: Priorities changed :smuggo:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Love to meet with our agile coach to get told we’re doing it all wrong, then zero follow up until a year later with a different coach to repeat the process.

Have you tried communicating this in a rap?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Members of the legal team of a former employer once did a rap video about "Being Candid"
It was two white law professionals wearing sunglasses at a conference table.

You can imagine how bad it went from there.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Outrail posted:

Comically inept money laundering scheme thwarted by Barduk's inability to fail upwards.

Springtime For Hitler-branded Industrial Equipment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's not a coach that's a review.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

toplitzin posted:

Members of the legal team of a former employer once did a rap video about "Being Candid"
It was two white law professionals wearing sunglasses at a conference table.

You can imagine how bad it went from there.

Oh my god. Twenty years ago my division did this all-day motivational team building event where they basically read lee Iacocca’s autobiography at us and made us do challenges and one of them was to write and perform a rap. gently caress me I have not thought about that in forever and recalling it now is giving me a visceral reaction.

I’m monkeyhate and I’m here to say
I’d like to make lovely cars but in a software way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gotta be honest, if my job tried to make me write and perform a rap I'd be looking for another job the next day.

gently caress it, just refuse on the spot.