Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

really cool how well the new guys did this basho

Yeah, it was great to see them all get double figure wins and special prizes. Shonannoumi is really reaping the rewards for keeping at it for 9 years, 7 of those in the 3rd division, really holding to the philosophy of Kaizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comments/1584x8y/tochinoshin_health_update/

It looks like Tochi is undergoing some sort of stem cell treatment for his wrecked body. According to his roughly translated post, it seems to be working too! Really hope it continues to deliver for him, he deserves a nice long retirement.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I hope Tochinoshin is happy and healthy in his retirement :)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Via the subreddit I stumbled on the following wacky gameshow. Pro click if you want to watch a whole lot of familiar sumo faces compete against [assorted athletes] in pushing cars, flipping tires, shoving people out of a ring etc. I don't speak a word of Japanese but I appreciate watching the beefy sumo squad do physical feats.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1WG41187Ka/

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 24, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Grumpy Old People of the Yokozuna Deliberation Council held their post-basho meeting:
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1683542099650592789
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1683542101991014410
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1683542104092360713
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1683542106407616512

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 24, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They seem happy. Has someone increased their meds?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like that YDC comments always read like middle school progress reports.

Wrestler A is a big, bright boy with a good future as long as he keeps working hard!

Wrestler B's manners are lacking and we hope he makes friends soon.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
So given how he was at sekiwake for so long, if Hoshoryu wins in September, that's probably the rope, right?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I believe the precedent is quite strong that it needs to be back-to-back yusho/equivalent as an ozeki. If he were to win in September or November, and get a runner up at the other, he would get it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
There has been exactly 1 promotion to Yokozuna that spent only 1 basho at Ozeki, the 16th Yokozuna Nishinoumi, promoted in 1896, it will probably never happen again outside of some major rework of how the ranking system works.

Edit: Actually, looking at it closer that's not even technically true as I phrased it, Nishinoumi spent 2 Basho at Ozeki in 1885 before being demoted and later getting re-promoted, I don't really know how to read the scores either, like in the basho after his initial Ozeki demotion he got 4-2-1-2d-1a, wtf does that mean? :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The YDC has already been burned by underperforming promotes in the past, so they'll always be conservative when it comes to recommending a promotion.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
The other part of it is, I think they consider wins against other top ranked rikishi to be very important. So he almost needs these folks like Terunofuji and Takakeisho to stay healthy into the second week so he can beat them. I think he could get the rope without it, since there's such a power vacuum, but it's a very strange dynamic currently.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I'm just wondering if that power vacuum might cause the old men to go a little crazy, but nah, y'all are right, that's too hard of a precedent to break.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

acejackson42 posted:

I'm just wondering if that power vacuum might cause the old men to go a little crazy, but nah, y'all are right, that's too hard of a precedent to break.

if it's such a power vacuum then he should be able to just win two yusho, you know?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Brut posted:

I don't really know how to read the scores either, like in the basho after his initial Ozeki demotion he got 4-2-1-2d-1a, wtf does that mean? :shrug:

4 wins, 2 losses, 1 absence, 2 hikiwake (draws), 1 azukari (no decision).

Draw calls have been mostly been replaced by mizu-iri (water break, then resume or restart) -- there hasn't been a true draw since 1974.

No-decision calls have been replaced by torinaoshi.

e: There also used to be "itamiwake," a special kind of draw used for when a torinaoshi or matta was called but one of the wrestlers was injured in the first fight. They eliminated that call in the 1970s, changing it to "a wrestler must either fight or forfeit" -- and that in turn has led to some really loving horrifying scenes where wrestlers fight again while clearly suffering from a concussion. Which has led to even more awkward JSA rules forbidding a wrestler from fighting if they've suffered a concussion prior to the fight.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 25, 2023

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Ex-Gagamaru's YouTube channel has posted a translated video of his visit to Miyagino stable. Nothing too revelatory but it's a nice peak into the day-to-day stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8irnohFEE

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I did not realize how much I would enjoy Gagamaru, Kaisei and Hakuho just shooting the poo poo about life after retirement.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

I believe the precedent is quite strong that it needs to be back-to-back yusho/equivalent as an ozeki. If he were to win in September or November, and get a runner up at the other, he would get it.

I doubt they'd give him for a yusho/Jun yusho. If they didn't give it to Taka for a Y/D they ain't giving it to a younger less proven guy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

pseudodragon posted:

I doubt they'd give him for a yusho/Jun yusho. If they didn't give it to Taka for a Y/D they ain't giving it to a younger less proven guy.

Yeah it depends on the score, Takakeisho's was 12-3 for both, I think if they were like 14-1 for both with only loss to Terunofuji, he'd get the rope. Instead it was losses to M1 Takayasu (Who ended up being in the 3-way playoff), M2 Meisei, K2 Tobizaru and a playoff loss to M9 Abi (lol), and then in the next one losses to K Kotonowaka and K Kiribayama, and M1 Tobizaru. On top of that, I think there were some henkas in there in one or both tournaments? not totally sure.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Bentai posted:

It looks like Tochi is undergoing some sort of stem cell treatment for his wrecked body. According to his roughly translated post, it seems to be working too! Really hope it continues to deliver for him, he deserves a nice long retirement.

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

anakha posted:

The YDC has already been burned by underperforming promotes in the past, so they'll always be conservative when it comes to recommending a promotion.

Never forget

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%8Dji_Kitao

6'7" judoka

Never won a thing

Expelled in infamy

Did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzubfn5LgRA

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Brut posted:

it will probably never happen again
tbh I'm pretty sure we'll never get a yokozuna again, period. Especially since this is a sport where promising prospects instantly get horribly injured in a way where they're never much good ever again afterwards

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
They could eliminate it as an official rank and call it a return to older traditions or something to safe face.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
People getting injured and leaving sumo has been happening for centuries. It's why there have only been 70 or so in 300 years. It's not a bug It's a feature.another yokozuna will rise. Will they be Hakuho level? gently caress no but most yokozuna only won like 2 or 3 basho ever. Terunofuji is already one of the greatest of all time taking in his historical comparisons.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

tbh I'm pretty sure we'll never get a yokozuna again, period. Especially since this is a sport where promising prospects instantly get horribly injured in a way where they're never much good ever again afterwards

I know newer fans were spoiled during the 4 Yokozuna era but this is absurd.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Flesnolk posted:

Especially since this is a sport where promising prospects instantly get horribly injured in a way where they're never much good ever again afterwards

I think Hakuho/Miyagino has said that trying to fix that is one of his long-term goals., depends on how many old men gotta cycle out of the JSA

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drip too powerful

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I think Hakuho/Miyagino has said that trying to fix that is one of his long-term goals., depends on how many old men gotta cycle out of the JSA

If they don't get broken, the next generation of JSA leadership is probably going to come down to Kise/Nishonseki and Hak/Miyagino and both of them seem pretty progressive.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just don't gently caress it up like Takanohana did.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Hol' up that's a new japan pro wrestling tracksuit

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Flinger posted:

Hol' up that's a new japan pro wrestling tracksuit

I mean, the sumo to professional wrestling pipeline is very real. It could happen. Or at least he might do a few guest appearances while he still has name recognition.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Gagamaru is doing a series where he visits various different stables, and got permission to release a video showing off the training regimen at Miyagino. Some fun cameos (Ishiura, former Kaisei) as well as a lot of gritty reality of the training process. The person who shared this with me described the first couple of minutes as "completely cursed knowledge' and I'm inclined to agree, but Gagamaru is very funny so it's worth it. The queueing process for getting training is also absolutely wild to me (rushing in to touch the winner after a match) but does explain something that had been a mystery to me when watching things like Sumo Prime Time. You also get to see some personal yokozuna instruction which was intense as hell.

But as far as the modernization elements go, they show off Kiho going through recovery procedures for his foot (Lisfranc injury that knocked him out of the tournament). I also know Naruto beya (former Kotooshu) is also very all-in on sports science stuff and has their wrestlers getting custom nutrition plans and such rather than just chanko and sleep.

(edit apparently my brain just completely ignored it being posted earlier, sorry)

wodin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 26, 2023

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I sure hope so, because his golden boy Hakuoho is clearly one more bout from losing use of that arm entirely

Ice Phisherman posted:

I mean, the sumo to professional wrestling pipeline is very real. It could happen. Or at least he might do a few guest appearances while he still has name recognition.

He could also just be a fan, pro wrestlers seem to like sumo a lot and vice versa - sumo is particularly popular with joshi wrestlers from what I gather

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's the song tag for me

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

anakha posted:

Just don't gently caress it up like Takanohana did.

Yeah, all Takanohana had to do was shut up and wait his turn. He's 10 years younger than Hakkaku and 12/13 years older than Hak/Kise with the only other Yokozuna of his generation still in the JSA being Musashimaru and I doubt the golden boy loses an election to a foreigner. That would have given him a nice decade long run at the top.

Hell, slow play it enough and he could probably have convinced Hakkaku to step down early before Hak/Kise got enough experience to be threats.

But between Hak watching his boys go down with injuries and Kise being the poster boy for how fighting injured can wreck a career, either should at least have the motivation to pull some reforms.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I'll believe the reforms when I see them, as it is, from the videos of training and from how their guys are fighting just as injured, I'm thinking the only reforms are "we bought a brand new building" instead of "we rented a basement of an old building".

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Any word on who's going up from makushita? I know those usually get announced relatively quickly.

wodin posted:

Gagamaru is doing a series where he visits various different stables, and got permission to release a video showing off the training regimen at Miyagino. Some fun cameos (Ishiura, former Kaisei) as well as a lot of gritty reality of the training process. The person who shared this with me described the first couple of minutes as "completely cursed knowledge' and I'm inclined to agree, but Gagamaru is very funny so it's worth it. The queueing process for getting training is also absolutely wild to me (rushing in to touch the winner after a match) but does explain something that had been a mystery to me when watching things like Sumo Prime Time. You also get to see some personal yokozuna instruction which was intense as hell.

But as far as the modernization elements go, they show off Kiho going through recovery procedures for his foot (Lisfranc injury that knocked him out of the tournament). I also know Naruto beya (former Kotooshu) is also very all-in on sports science stuff and has their wrestlers getting custom nutrition plans and such rather than just chanko and sleep.

(edit apparently my brain just completely ignored it being posted earlier, sorry)

This was a pretty interesting video; I don't think I've really seen behind-the-scenes training stuff like this before.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

I'll believe the reforms when I see them, as it is, from the videos of training and from how their guys are fighting just as injured, I'm thinking the only reforms are "we bought a brand new building" instead of "we rented a basement of an old building".

IIRC one of the features of Nishonseki's building was private rooms for lower division guys which while its probably the lowest possible bar to clear, it does show some thought for Rikishi quality of life and was apparently enough of a revolution to be brought up in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Brut posted:

What are they supposed to do about fighting injured? They don't set the banzuke and determine promotions. Anybody who wants to gain/keep ranks has to fight injured and there's nothing Miyagino/Nishonseki can do about that from their positions in the JSA. Sure, he could say "Hakuoho, sit this one out, let that arm rest", but that would mean he'd just go 0-15 at M17, end up down in the bottom of Juryo again, and maybe take another two bashos to climb back out of that hole.

Reforms there are a long term goal that will require more sway in the JSA than they currently have.