Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So it looks like Zenimax Online Studios (ZOS) treats trans people like trash. (note: summary at 3:50:24) It really sucks as trans people have so few legal protections so depending on where the jurisdiction is ZOS could get away with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is it just me, or are there like A LOT more resource nodes in the Telvani Peninsula?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Base game is currently free on Epic. If it's like the Steam version once you have it you can launch separately.

If you're like me and the bar swapping and weaving combat doesn't click for you: single bar heavy attack builds work fine, can be competitive with the meta if you have the Oakensoul legendary. I had fizzled out on the game but changing to an Oakensoul build and plugging in an old xbox controller (default mappings on PC are surprisingly good) made it a whole new game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ossipago posted:

Base game is currently free on Epic. If it's like the Steam version once you have it you can launch separately.

That's not true of the steam version.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ossipago posted:

If you're like me and the bar swapping and weaving combat doesn't click for you: single bar heavy attack builds work fine, can be competitive with the meta if you have the Oakensoul legendary. I had fizzled out on the game but changing to an Oakensoul build and plugging in an old xbox controller (default mappings on PC are surprisingly good) made it a whole new game.

Getting Oakensoul is a major hurdle though...

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

It is but it's totally worth it, I'm soloing world bosses and dungeons now with it.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Can you somehow set up alerts with Tamriel Traders (I've only been using the website)? I keep seeing stuff get snapped up almost instantly and would love to know how they're doing it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's the current go-to add-on for migrating settings between characters?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SplitSoul posted:

What's the current go-to add-on for migrating settings between characters?
Settings: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3418-SyncedAccountSettingsMasteroshi430sbranch.html#info
Keybinds https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1174-VotansKeybinder.html

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Can mods be used on the Steam version of ESO?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Can mods be used on the Steam version of ESO?
yeah, the only difference between steam and non-steam is steam has a login hook that logs in automatically. It's the exact same install.

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just started today, and I am looking for an invite.

In-game name: @Liverslapper

Liverslapper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 21, 2023

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What's the best way to approach this game nowadays? I had a copy at release that I ran through its own launcher. Now, I see you can get it on Steam or Epic. I also have Gamepass and it's on there too. Is there functionally any difference between which of these I use to download the game again?!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're all the same aside from login method I believe. I'd say stick to the standlone version because you might be able to get deals on expansions via places like GMG

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
I've been playing this on egs for a bit and it's pretty fun but are there any redeeming factors to the horrific monetization schema? the multiple overlapping "necessary" recurring costs really rubs me the wrong way.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Saraiguma posted:

I've been playing this on egs for a bit and it's pretty fun but are there any redeeming factors to the horrific monetization schema? the multiple overlapping "necessary" recurring costs really rubs me the wrong way.

What would be the multiples? You can easily ignore everything except ESO Plus, which may as well be required for the craft bag functionality.

I can't think of anything else even remotely necessary, and so far I've cleared all the base game and the first 4 DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, and Dark Brotherhood).

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Offkorn posted:

What would be the multiples? You can easily ignore everything except ESO Plus, which may as well be required for the craft bag functionality.

I can't think of anything else even remotely necessary, and so far I've cleared all the base game and the first 4 DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieves' Guild, and Dark Brotherhood).

ESO plus, the latest expansion which doesn't come with ESO plus (idk if Necrom is the first to do this or it's always been like this) and honestly just 2 armory slots and having to go back home every time you want to change your build both seemed stifling to me.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Saraiguma posted:

ESO plus, the latest expansion which doesn't come with ESO plus (idk if Necrom is the first to do this or it's always been like this) and honestly just 2 armory slots and having to go back home every time you want to change your build both seemed stifling to me.

If you have ESO+ the expansions will show up a year after relesse so you just gotta wait. Also ESO+ comes with crowns that you can use to buy armory slots.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Is there any way to have the game recognize a Nintendo Pro Controller outside of using Accessibility mode to force it? Because some of the UI when that mode is on such as chat is pretty dire.

Also using it to force the gamepad UI means I can't use any addons.

Danakir fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 25, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Saraiguma posted:

I don't know that I've ever wanted to change my build back and forth. I think I've changed builds twice - one on my warden and once on my Sorc, but that was more because the build I started using ended up being not quite a great as I thought.

To be fair, I did create a second warden for S&S+Frost Staff, but it was mostly to try it out. of course I leveled that character to 50. :haw:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Saraiguma posted:

For the armory, use one slot for a primary build. Leave the other blank and use addons to populate your builds. Like other stupid monetization things in the game, it's half assed and stupid greedy, but not actually much of an issue to bypass or ignore. (definitely easier on PC, though)

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Just started playing the game with my partner because it’s free on EGS, was wondering if the first post is still good info-wise, and also how do you make characters look good when creating them? It seems harder than other ones I’ve played. And what kind of fashion can I look forward to?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

weast posted:

Just started playing the game with my partner because it’s free on EGS, was wondering if the first post is still good info-wise, and also how do you make characters look good when creating them? It seems harder than other ones I’ve played. And what kind of fashion can I look forward to?

30+ Imperial City Dungeon runs: No Mora's Whispers lead.
Just got hit once by a random bloodfiend: Instant Vampirism.

My rng is cursed.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

weast posted:

They say fashion is the real endgame of ESO lol. You can use outfit stations to "override" the look of whichever item you're wearing and you can get motif styles to get more options for the outfit station.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

weast posted:

The first post is still good, if outdated info.

My advice:
1. Play what you want and like. There are no gimped builds. Just try-hards and everything else.
2. Do NOT grind unless you wish to hate the game. It’s not built like that. Questing and dungeons give you more exp faster than collecting 6000 bear butts.
3. Dolmens also give great exp but do other things too.
4. Use the 150% experience scrolls when you get them, especially early on. You’ll level stupid fast.
5. Crafting is optional, but the dailies are a good source of exp and gold. You can unlock crafting only after level 5, and the trainers have to be first talked to in your alliance’s first major hub or DLC hubs. After you start the certification quests they’ll port to the crafting areas.
6. Be a murder hobo. Run around, do what you feel, and don’t be afraid to pic a direction and go. You find really neat stuff that way.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Also don’t buy crowns, the crown store is mostly s rip off. Just use the crowns you get with eso plus (if you gave that) to get armory slots or whatever.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Some other stuff I've been enjoying:

- Do watch build videos to get ideas, but don't obsess about always having a meta build, the meta changes all the time and some of the gear is stuff that you can only get from dungeons/trials. Having said that, a lot of the easier to get gear is really good. I have been testing a set called Hexos' Ward and I really like how it plays, basically getting crits gives you a huge damage shield so you're pretty much invincible as long as you're constantly attacking. https://eso-sets.com/set/hexos-ward. Currently I already have six different sets that I have tried and they have all been overland/craftable sets that you can buy from guild traders.

- Join a trading guild, there are many with no mandatory dues that survive on cheap raffles and some have decent traders so you can sell your stuff. I sell my blue/purple set gear for 5k/10k (more if it's a popular set with a good trait) instead of selling them for peanuts to npc merchants. Although if you want to level crafting you're probably better off if you deconstruct everything instead until you get to level 50 on the corresponding skill.

- Once you go past level 50 and start getting into champion point levels, you will get strong enough to solo some world boss and dungeons and it is awesome, feels great to finally kill a stupid boss that one shotted you earlier.

This game is great in that builds are very flexible and if you gently caress up you can just do it all over again for a nominal fee (or for free with the free armory station)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's also hard to gently caress up BADLY. A lot of the skills in your kit will be underperformers compared to the BLEEDING EDGE BEST META PVP/PVE POWER GAMER FUEL SPONSORED BY GATORADE: IT'S GOT THE MEATS, but it's not like they will stand out terribly badly unless you're doing high-end raiding.

More important than the specific skills is whether you have a general MMO skill order down: Buff yourself, throw dots on the bad guys, and spam a direct damage skill in between keeping buffs and dots up.

Also, the newer regions like Summerset, Vvardenfall, and ELSWEYR tend to be way more awesome than the regions released at time of first publication. I openly am hugely biased toward doing Northern then Southern Elsweyr before anything else because the characters all rule and the lore there in particular is juicy as hell. Summerset too.

poo poo I fucken cried doing Summerset a few times.

FYI this game's philosophy is that fewer side quests of higher quality is better than many side quests of "kill 50 trolls." Each one is trying to talk about the story of the land and people in some substantial way.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 28, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm giving this a try because it was free on Epic and there's a trial of their subscription. I made a Sorc and decided to keep things simple by using a destruction staff and light armor. I get that almost every skill can be leveled, but for now I'm just focused on what seem to be my schools of magic.

I have a DD skill and am unsure yet if I'm supposed to prioritize that (it looks like it does alot of damage) while mixing in light and heavy staff attacks. In any other game weapon skills are usually supplementary to button skills. At such a low level it probably doesn't make any difference.

I've collected a bunch of crap including food and drink. I'll hang on to some of those to keep buffs up. Do food and drink have separate buff slots?

Some of my items have a magnifying glass on them. Is that for the crafting "research" skill? I get the impression that if you don't sub crafting is not worth pursuing because your storage will be overwhelmed by ingredients.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm giving this a try because it was free on Epic and there's a trial of their subscription. I made a Sorc and decided to keep things simple by using a destruction staff and light armor. I get that almost every skill can be leveled, but for now I'm just focused on what seem to be my schools of magic.

I have a DD skill and am unsure yet if I'm supposed to prioritize that (it looks like it does alot of damage) while mixing in light and heavy staff attacks. In any other game weapon skills are usually supplementary to button skills. At such a low level it probably doesn't make any difference.

In a very general sense, yes. You light attack in between casts and use heavy attacks when you need to restore mana. Like most games it goes: Apply DOT, Cast Skills, Basic attack in between, and Heavy Attack to gain resources or when the enemy is Off Balance. This varies greatly based upon your build, weapon effects, poisons, etc. When you get high enough level you kill things so fast, you don't really have to cast anything. My 1000+ level Nightblade is like that - trash mobs die so fast, I don't even have time to cast anything.

quote:

I've collected a bunch of crap including food and drink. I'll hang on to some of those to keep buffs up. Do food and drink have separate buff slots?

Food and Drink use the same slots, but Potions are separate.

quote:

Some of my items have a magnifying glass on them. Is that for the crafting "research" skill? I get the impression that if you don't sub crafting is not worth pursuing because your storage will be overwhelmed by ingredients.

Correct. You may as well research them. I'm pretty sure you get EXP for doing so, you get entries in the 'sticker book' of items collected, and at some point in the future if you decide to craft, you have a bunch of stuff you're able to build without having to start researching.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you! I didn't realize that the heavy attack restored resources.

EDIT: Despite the console-y feel this game definitely has the Elder Scrolls vibe. I need to slow down and get into the story.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 28, 2023

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

Food and drink are leveled. Also cheap to craft. Anything you find while leveling up use or sell. Don't keep old food. Once you reach CP160(level cap) then just sell any food you pick up and craft what you want.

Dick Trauma posted:

To emphasize what Doctor Zero, you want to research even if you don't plan on crafting. With the reconstruction system and gear collection, you want to be able to remake gear in a trait you want.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Also master crafting writs are a great way to get XP after CP160 and you’re gonna need to have the traits researched if you want to do the equipment master writs.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Am I missing something obvious, or is it in fact a really good idea to stock up on the Cyrodiil gold vendor's non-binding gold necklaces to resell during the week?

It doesn't seem like many do it (the lowest offers for one of the necklaces right now is 400k when you can buy it for 150k), so I'm a bit paranoid there's a catch here.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Offkorn posted:

Am I missing something obvious, or is it in fact a really good idea to stock up on the Cyrodiil gold vendor's non-binding gold necklaces to resell during the week?

It doesn't seem like many do it (the lowest offers for one of the necklaces right now is 400k when you can buy it for 150k), so I'm a bit paranoid there's a catch here.
Some people flip them, yes. However you need to make sure the set is something people want. You also often have to wait quite a while before you get a meaningful return. I'd be careful judging on listings you see, right now, they're probably holdovers from before it went up on the vendor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it necessary to try and level everything? I see videos saying that you should be mixing armor types, weapon types... mixing everything so that all skills of any kind of constantly going up. One video showed that skills on your bar are the ones that will level but there's so few slots I don't know how you could keep everything in sync.

EDIT: VVV Thank you! I think I saw that in a video but didn't understand. Now I do.

EDIT 2: Oh they have queues. I keep getting stuck with just 1-3 seconds left. Guess the new players have overwhelmed their servers.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 29, 2023

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it necessary to try and level everything? I see videos saying that you should be mixing armor types, weapon types... mixing everything so that all skills of any kind of constantly going up. One video showed that skills on your bar are the ones that will level but there's so few slots I don't know how you could keep everything in sync.

You should just to see what you like and you never know what changes will happen, the skill lines level super fast.

Back in my day (hurr hurr) the best way to level skill lines that you don't normal use was to put 1 skill from that line on your back bar (so your 2nd bar is like 5 skills of poo poo you normally don't use) and when you turn in quests you swap to that bar, levels them super fast and keeps your front bar for smashing/blowing things up while you're out in the world.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This discussion has opened my eyes on a few points, I've not understood ESO combat very well. I'm running a dps sorceror and didn't realize the obvious use of heavy attacks that let my magick replenish. Would have saved a few soul gems! Also need to really up my gear, its pretty average, but I'm working on maxing my crafting, already maxed alchemy and working on clothing and woodworking. Once I can research enough stuff I can go craft a good set and get the neat stuff from instances.

It's really really good to do crafting writs for as many crafts as you can do in one hit. It can get annoying for some of them, having to run around looking for resources, but at my CP level there's lots of goodies and it speeds up levelling in the crafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: VVV Thank you! I think I saw that in a video but didn't understand. Now I do.

EDIT 2: Oh they have queues. I keep getting stuck with just 1-3 seconds left. Guess the new players have overwhelmed their servers.

Watch some guide videos by Deltia's Gaming

No really go do it, he's so good at explaining the flow of ESO combat