Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Seems like a good faith contract to me. He gets ~3M more than he would’ve on the tag this year. (Which IIUC is also $1M more than a 20% bumped second tag next year.) The Giants get more cap flexibility this year and next offseason. Both sides wanted him to be in camp and now he will be. And it all got done very quickly. I am surprised but deignted by this news. Hooray Joe Schoen. Hooray beer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Getting them on the WR tag won't do anything except get them released and have to accept lesser FA contracts

what now? an RB market where the franchise tag isn't ~$10m wouldn't fix everything by any means, but it would absolutely impact the market for the position in free agency. if teams didn't at least value their RBs at the level of the franchise tag then no one would be using it on them

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Seems like a good faith contract to me. He gets ~3M more than he would’ve on the tag this year. (Which IIUC is also $1M more than a 20% bumped second tag next year.) The Giants get more cap flexibility this year and next offseason. Both sides wanted him to be in camp and now he will be. And it all got done very quickly. I am surprised but deignted by this news. Hooray Joe Schoen. Hooray beer!

it's a great deal for NYG as a team but where are you getting an additional $3m? the $2m signing bonus is not additional money, it's expedited money

e: this keeps on getting worse
https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1683826090253361153

stuker fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 25, 2023

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Oh I thought a signing bonus was additional instant money that didn’t count against the cap. In that case he’s getting what would be next year’s bumped tag value. Not as good of a deal (and less than what they offered mid season last year allegedly) and yeah without a no-tag clause he could be screwed again next year. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that again

E: oof yeah having all of his incentives be tied to making the playoffs is even worse. I mean they certainly see themselves as contenders, trading for Waller and such. But Saquon better hope this isn’t another 2016->2017 situation for em

elime anning fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 25, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He should've sat out all of camp and then played on the tag. This deal is pretty insulting lol

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Oh I thought a signing bonus was additional instant money that didn’t count against the cap. In that case he’s getting what would be next year’s bumped tag value. Not as good of a deal (and less than what they offered mid season last year allegedly) and yeah without a no-tag clause he could be screwed again next year. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that again

He's 100% getting screwed next year lol. If he has a good year they will just tag him again and if he gets hurt again which is likely, he's going to get nothing. But then again Dalvin Cook is better and younger than Barkley and he's gonna have to play for like 6M this year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Getting them on the WR tag won't do anything except get them released and have to accept lesser FA contracts

If they'd have to accept lesser FA contracts they wouldn't be franchising them. It makes 0 sense for the best RB's in their prime years to be cheaper then WR's like Michael Gallup or Corey Davis

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

stuker posted:

what now? an RB market where the franchise tag isn't ~$10m wouldn't fix everything by any means, but it would absolutely impact the market for the position in free agency. if teams didn't at least value their RBs at the level of the franchise tag then no one would be using it on them

it's a great deal for NYG as a team but where are you getting an additional $3m? the $2m signing bonus is not additional money, it's expedited money

e: this keeps on getting worse
https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/1683826090253361153

he's screwed

Nov 6, 2002

Seems real bad.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1683808936023953409

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

mcmagic posted:

He should've sat out all of camp and then played on the tag. This deal is pretty insulting lol

He's 100% getting screwed next year lol. If he has a good year they will just tag him again and if he gets hurt again which is likely, he's going to get nothing. But then again Dalvin Cook is better and younger than Barkley and he's gonna have to play for like 6M this year.

Cook is almost two years older than Barkley.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm convinced the 20% kicker must have gotten included in the new deal because i don't believe anyone can be so blind as to negotiate a contract without realizing you're giving up a likely $2m for that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

stuker posted:

i'm convinced the 20% kicker must have gotten included in the new deal because i don't believe anyone can be so blind as to negotiate a contract without realizing you're giving up a likely $2m for that

Every tag has that requirement, by raising his salary to the FT number this year, tagging him next year would still require the 20% bump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrLogan posted:

You're right. IDK why it feels like Barkley has been around forever.....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is he in deep to loan sharks and just really needs 2 mil or something?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MrLogan posted:

And also beat his girlfriend (not that that is an issue to most NFL GMs)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: he belongs on the Giants

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aaron Hernandez's older brother arrested after planning school shootings.

This is after he got arrested for throwing a brick at ESPN's campus awhile back.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kalli posted:

Every tag has that requirement, by raising his salary to the FT number this year, tagging him next year would still require the 20% bump.

i'm not a lawyer so i'm sure there's something i'm missing, but i thought that the 20% kicker only applies for two consecutive franchise tags? if next year's deal is his first agreement to the traditional franchise tag, NYG doesn't have any obligation to provide him with a 20% raise from this deal because he did not play the 23-24 season under a franchise tag (even if it's effectively the same)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

stuker posted:

i'm not a lawyer so i'm sure there's something i'm missing, but i thought that the 20% kicker only applies for two consecutive franchise tags? if next year's deal is his first agreement to the traditional franchise tag, NYG doesn't have any obligation to provide him with a 20% raise from this deal because he did not play the 23-24 season under a franchise tag (even if it's effectively the same)

Nah, the way the franchise tag works is it's the calculated number based on existing contracts or 120% of the previous year's salary, whichever is greater. It's just that since virtually every NFL contract has signing bonus / roster bonus numbers all over the place, the salary is rarely high enough for that to come into play outside of if they were just franchised.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1683849043229786112?s=46

lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This cannot be serious.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The gently caress? He didn't play last year.

He's 37

He had 14 catches 2 years ago.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kalli posted:

Nah, the way the franchise tag works is it's the calculated number based on existing contracts or 120% of the previous year's salary, whichever is greater. It's just that since virtually every NFL contract has signing bonus / roster bonus numbers all over the place, the salary is rarely high enough for that to come into play outside of if they were just franchised.

makes sense, but if signing bonus/roster bonus money is excepted from that won't he still be in the same situation now that he's receiving $2m up front?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This cannot be serious.

*Glass breaks* By god that's Drew Brees' music!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Assuming he doesn't make the 53 he gets to retire as a Saint instead of the typically ceremonial 1 day contract.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

mcmagic posted:

Dalvin Cook will be lucky to get the vet min, let alone 6 mil

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

You can’t take snaps away from Taysom Hill, you will regret this!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

lol

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He already has offers from NE, MIA and NYJ that are above vet minimum

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

He already has offers from NE, MIA and NYJ that are above vet minimum

Don’t the Jets have Breece Hall? Did he get hurt? I assume Dalvin isn’t…Cooked lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Seahawks legend Jimmy Graham.

Guess the Saints won that trade after all.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, if it's cheap enough and he knows that he'll effectively be a coach and not a player and having him as a player rather than coach avoids some nfl rule they're trying to skirt, seems fine.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

If they'd have to accept lesser FA contracts they wouldn't be franchising them. It makes 0 sense for the best RB's in their prime years to be cheaper then WR's like Michael Gallup or Corey Davis

I'm saying if the franchise tag number on RB was higher than it is now, no one is ever going to franchise tag a RB and they will just let them go and draft a new guy. RB free agent contracts already are not high, if more of them flood the market it isn't going to go up

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
That RB zoom call must have been a disaster for Saquon to come out and sign that contract

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

I'm saying if the franchise tag number on RB was higher than it is now, no one is ever going to franchise tag a RB and they will just let them go and draft a new guy. RB free agent contracts already are not high, if more of them flood the market it isn't going to go up

The only RBs getting FA contracts right now are the ones that are either mediocre or have been run into the ground. The good RBs get franchised until they’re run into the ground which is part of why the contracts for FAs are so low, because good and still fresh RBs don’t hit the FA market.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

RB free agent contracts aren't high because they die in their mid-upper 20's which you can hold onto them through a rookie contract + 2 franchise tags if needed. If you make it so they effectively can't be franchised, then you'll see RB's get your typical extensions after year 3 to lock them up until their late 20's and then they're toast, and in the process the best ones would start seeing contracts approaching mid-2nd tier WR contracts instead of 3rd-4th tier ones like they're reduced to now.

Teams do value RB's, two just got drafted highly, a hella expensive one was traded for roughly the value of a 1st last year and 3 were franchised this offseason. Teams value young, productive running backs.

It's just the rest of the FA market for RB's is trash because the good ones are dead by the time they hit FA.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Nodoze posted:

the objective in raising the franchise tag number for RBs isn't to have tagged deals drive up the average RB salary; it would be to discourage the use of the franchise tag so those players are part of the free agency class

raising that number does mean there will be more RBs in the market, but the players who get freed up like this will also be setting the market for a top-tier RB. NYG (or anyone else) may decide they'd rather get a young guy than paying more/longer for the guy they would have tagged, but now there are 31 other teams involved in setting that price

it's really just the dynamics of free agency in the NFL (and hell the draft too)-- the value of new contracts is highly dependent on the alternative players available and the franchise tag ensures that top talents at the position are not available

stuker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 25, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The RB market is just poo poo, I doubt Barkley would even make 10.1MM a year in free agency. Teams are learning that RB second contracts never really work out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why did they keep calling the NFL's championship game "The Super Bowl" after the AFL-NFL merger? Seems like they should've just reverted back to calling it "The NFL Championship Game" since it was no longer a unifying championship game between two separate leagues.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

RB free agent contracts aren't high because they die in their mid-upper 20's which you can hold onto them through a rookie contract + 2 franchise tags if needed. If you make it so they effectively can't be franchised, then you'll see RB's get your typical extensions after year 3 to lock them up until their late 20's and then they're toast, and in the process the best ones would start seeing contracts approaching mid-2nd tier WR contracts instead of 3rd-4th tier ones like they're reduced to now.

Teams do value RB's, two just got drafted highly, a hella expensive one was traded for roughly the value of a 1st last year and 3 were franchised this offseason. Teams value young, productive running backs.

It's just the rest of the FA market for RB's is trash because the good ones are dead by the time they hit FA.

I hope Frank Gore realizes his boxing career isn't going anywhere and comes back to keep gaining three+ yards a carry just to do his part helping out proving old RBs are at least somewhat useful. Depending on circumstances.

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

Why did they keep calling the NFL's championship game "The Super Bowl" after the AFL-NFL merger? Seems like they should've just reverted back to calling it "The NFL Championship Game" since it was no longer a unifying championship game between two separate leagues.

Because "Super Bowl" loving rocks and even the dummies back then knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/1683869796784545792?t=FMRk3iwcpoPIF0lgqHzA1Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/1683871054748319744?t=0V5JUjgLPfRaCqXD8QTopA&s=19