Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Honestly, I haven't climbed to huge heights or anything (Im a mid 40s boomer who hasn't played an FPS seriously since Quake 2), but I climbed from mid Bronze to now bouncing between high Gold low Plat simply by applying mostly Awkward's principles. Just off angle, distract people at the beginning of team fights, and take up 2 people's attention as much as possible. You will win. Thats it, thats the skill. The more you can do that without dying, the higher you will climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've found the secret is just to play pharah, no one likes looking up

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
when I started playing OW1 taking offangles was like the very first thing I did and it would completely gently caress everyone and I ended every game being called a smurf

there's just certain fundamentals of FPSes and team-centric FPSes that don't change. I'd always try to cause mischief and problems in Return to Castle Wolfenstein on a flank and it usually worked there too

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Like I totally get that the intent vs. impact of "weird hyper-over analysis" was way off base, definitely wasn't directed at anyone who is an elite player at this game & is hyper passionate about it & is incredibly distressed at the state of the game at the highest levels. It was just a dumb throw-away phrase my fingers shat out as a kind of amalgamation of everything I comprehended after catching up on the thread and I sincerely didn't mean any offense towards a lot of the valid insightful stuff I read. I don't really keep track of poster's names/reputations etc. so it was a very poor choice of words. I mostly come here just to get caught up with news because I don't bother going to other sources for news about this game.

So let me be a clown for the thread a bit as a way of an apology.

After reviewing a game where I was like "jesus loving christ my team ruled in this quickplay match how did my get my drunk rear end get carried so hard?". Like yeah midgame I knew "yeah Bap threw lamp perfectly after pulse, Mercy got a perfect rez off where I died below the steps". And I remembered this video Metro made on youtube about like.... "not being hyper-fixated on KDR/stats etc." And as I'm reviewing the game I realize... oh yeah I think I know EXACTLY what would sync up to this poo poo like Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz. It's the opening of Episode 5 from a gem of a podcast called Transmissions from Jonestown.

Here's the half-baked thing I came up with & never finished & uploaded to a vimeo throwaday for the thread. I have no delusions or aspirations of being a "content creator" or somehow monetizing any poo poo I do for this game, it's just goofy poo poo I share with my friends.

https://vimeo.com/848239064
https://vimeo.com/848239064

My gameplay is FAR FAR from perfect, which is kind of the point. Kind of was going for an iceberg-ish "Potg vs. the reality of the match" thing, before I gave up cause like... who is gonna give a poo poo about this right? I'm sure anyone here playing comp in the current meta even at like high-platinum/diamond could roast my mistakes a thousand times over (especially not landing a single shot on the Ana on those incline steps, cringe as gently caress). But I think there is an interesting kind of 'well yeah he's definitely not playing "optimally" re: target priority, positioning etc. BUT... it kinda makes sense because he's not following a Robocop script and... rolling to pharah is... weird but unexpected, kinda odd and goofy but whatever do you bro'

In the old OW1 thread I remember seeing a lot of fun, enthusiastic poo poo about the game. One line that always stuck with me was "dunning and kruger are the names of reaper's shotguns".

Like I get it, maybe the game sucks right now but a lot of people are still having fun with it and maybe now that Diablo 4 launched some more resources can get back to the game & spit shine it into something that's interesting to both the elite god-tier scrimming Top 500's and the more 'ah I just like to gently caress around with my various old-head gold to GM friends in QP' types like me.

So feel to roast that video or whatever, I just want to inject some levity into the thread before we're all just staring at that Overwatch logo waiting for R.I.P. to fade into existence over it.

Edit: oh yeah here's the Metro video for like, actually good content and not just a jokey-poo poo-post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzMAYBH7Gk

Edit 2: And the source audio. Sorry it's a bit scratchy, Guyana ain't exactly gentle to cassettes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_lnhRjZn0

Edit 3: And also someone said something about that cringe sexualization of the characters and how Blizzard leans into that a bit and like... yeah that stuff's.... maybe "weird" but I mean not everyone who's a fan of the game has that kind of fixation. So maybe this is a response to that as well.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 29, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Also as much of a rug-pull as the PvE poo poo is/was, I'm still kinda excited to go for high-score chases with a group of people committed to it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZxsMm7uek

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

im depressed lol posted:

Like I totally get that the intent vs. impact of "weird hyper-over analysis"

you're fine, it's not a wrong statement, people do get way into analyzing stuff and it is weird from most perspectives. like it doesn't make much sense from the pov of just trying to blast stuff and have fun with some buds, which is itself kind of the core problem with overwatch: so much of the game is counter-intuitive in really serious ways that make serious attempts to play to win basically the inverse of everything you'd expect the game to be if you're just picking it up. At a certain level you aren't trying to stay alive more, you're staying alive less and deliberately. you aren't shooting more you're shooting less, etc.

i do kind of wonder if OW could have a resurgence some day stripped of all the stupid artificial esports stuff and if the OW team (insofar as it is still getting dev resources, which uh who knows how much that is at this point) oriented the game more towards just being a fun brawly team shooter for people to play very casually, but idk that probably requires another round of balancing and reworking and I doubt they want to give the game that much more time and energy still. that said, idk that's an awful long shot and OW2 was really the big chance to recapture some of the magic and the players

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 25, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At a certain level you aren't trying to stay alive more, you're staying alive less and deliberately. you aren't shooting more you're shooting less, etc.

This is kind of a big thing. It's not as prevalent now but it used to be that if you went "gently caress it" and died to reset, people would yell at you for giving the enemy a paltry 200hp of ult charge or whatever.

Or even things like "i've got my ult, i'm fairly sure they don't have a defensive ult yet, lets not shoot anyone and get into position". Back when I was scrimming with the WC team we had entire fights where we'd not fire a single shot until we were literally on top of the enemy because we knew we had ults and they didn't quite have them yet.

But yeah, higher level is hosed. It also kinda makes talking about the game hard, because the feedback between, say, high level CS is way easier to see (this fucker can aim, nade spots, etc) whereas high level OW is so hidden in comparison.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the hidden aspect of it and the insanely high apm (im not really sure this is the right phrase tbh, decisions per minute may be more accurate) of high level overwatch is also probably responsible for a certain level of gamer rage and "i should be in diamond but my silver teammates are dragging me down' . The level of dpm means scrubs like me watch gm level play and the constant stream of decision making is really hard to decipher. watching pros dissect bronze gameplay can be helpful but ultimately in the moment you might not even know you made five bad decisions in between the ones you are aware of. i find it super exciting and motivating despite not really getting any better but ive noticed at super low level play people are either angry as hell or super chill. theres very little in between. if this was a new game id probably be interested in fastidiously replaying my matches to analyze how i could improve and maybe even send some in to those youtubers that analyze low level play but im pretty happy to chill for the most part

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

you're fine, it's not a wrong statement, people do get way into analyzing stuff and it is weird from most perspectives

Thank you for this, I appreciate getting at least some feedback that I'm not totally off the mark, but I still do mean that apology to anyone it might have rubbed the wrong way regardless. A quickplay McCassidy comes into my thread, toots his own dick, and calls ME gay!?

I generally don't like watching most 'pro' Overwatch streams. Got a strong dislike of twitch gamer-bro culture. Also that flouride gamer stare that a lot of twitch grinders have gives me disconcerting uncanny valley vibes Youtubes' more my speed; via the youtube algorithm I see a bunch of cool content, like emongg is hilarious, karq is a gift to the community, metro mentioned previously etc. But after I gave up on comp back in the golden days of OW1 Season 4-5 (peak 3750ish masters, I bring it up purely because I thought OW1 stats were lost forever but I recently re-watched some old footage where my rank was visible), the exhaustion of endlessly looking for tips/tricks started feeling a lot more like homework/studying than anything. And on top of that... is it truly realistic to expect that your random grab-bag of algorithmically ranked teammates queueing for an 'esport' are:

A.) reading from the same playbook & aren't poisoned by subpar advice via bad influences/bad google skills
2.) haven't reached their peak SR and are rolling back down that hill
&
2CP.) have the same philosophy about team cohesion/online gaming in general and won't make everyone on the team give up before they even get going because they aren't playing a 'meta' comp

The fun for me in a crazy, frenetic, twitchy, beautiful game like Overwatch (with highly praised yet still IMO underrated sound design) is figuring out a play-style that suits you and the odd joy of the sissyphian struggle to continuously try to improve your skillset. Folding Ideas had a great video about the odd nature of how the WoW community ruthlessly chewed up everything Blizzard could throw at them, youtube title "Why it's rude to suck at Warcraft" & yeah it's a brilliant piece of media check it out or whatever. But the most interesting concept I took away from it was (lovely paraphrasing warning) this dichotomy of intrinsic play vs. extrinsic play. To me, Overwatch is 1 million percent an intrinsically rewarding gameplay experience. The excitement of pulling off some stupid nutty thing every once in a while that saves a fight, landing a stupid sleep dart, mercilessly pounding and pinging discorded targets as zen- it's all so... FUN to me.

But there are a lot people who hop from game to game and are more concerned about like... an external letter grade/number go up/loot drop reward etc. than just the love of a game. And they can't exactly express... WHY they are upset at losing so they grasp at straws/blame others/blame the balance of the game etc. to soften the blow of not getting what they feel they are entitled to. I see a lot of discourse about Overwatch kind of being an odd-duck half-moba/half-FPS and that maybe they should lean one way or the other but I dunno... I think it's cool that game is a bit broad in scope like that & is trying this weird tight-rope act trying to appeal to a broad cross-section of game-enjoyers. Let me just re-state it again, I'm not suggesting being mad at this game for the right, valid reasons from a top-tier players perspective is a 'cope' or whatever. I respect the poo poo of people who really loving devour a game's dynamics & suss out the bullshit. So hey if the game's got problems, you have the experience/dedication to articulate them I'll say 'yeah man, I believe you. makes sense. hope they make it better!'

I think I'm good at keeping my ego in check, I almost never tilt and if a thought occurs to me like 'hm, why I am not being healed....' I just assume the supports are doing their best and if I feel particularly miffed I'll review the game from their perspective to see if there was something I was oblivious to; maybe I wasn't maintaining LOS as well as I thought, maybe I should have swapped to protect them better etc. The game replay/history feature is such a cool tool, and maybe it's just a given & super obvious that if you want improve you should naturally 'review your god drat matches/gameplay mercilessly with as little bias as possible before QQing/tilting that your team is poo poo& it's impossible to climb out of the metal ranks' but maybe it's.... TOO much a given and people need to realize they should be doing that way more than they think.

Also here's a dumb anecdote about 'subpar advice'.

So I play QP a lot/exclusively nowadays and get random add's all the time from people because I'm always clowning around in the game doing poo poo like endlessly spamming 'I'm sorry" to supports as a bit, have a knack for odd voiceline-spam combo's & reciprocation, and pinging targets is second nature to me. Or maybe I manage to pull some dumb "I shouldn't be alive!" magic trick as Cassidy because I manage to two-tap the squishies in a 2v5 against a team that is most likely playing off-main & I some how win the fight. Whatever the circumstance, a support on my team adds me.

I start duoing in QP with them. After a few games I'm curious, so I check the profile. Masters rank, sounds right. Great player. But then in a match on Hollywood on attack I just slam-pick Cassidy because I like to pew-pew. Maybe a minute in I realize their tank is really good at controlling space at the choke, our tank can't/just wants to play a less than mobile tank so high ground is a problem. Our tank is having a rough time trying to get in for whatever reason. Ana's in a nest pocketing the enemy tank. There's a Torb, no DPS hitscan. So I need to swap to try and salvage this game, because eh I don't care I'll play whatever is best for our comp vs. theirs if I'm halfway decent at it- I'm usually not stubborn, whatever's good for the team. So I feel dicey and think 'gently caress it I'll go Pharrah!'- I love playing Pharrah but usually at whatever MMR I'm at it's like a single fight at most will occur and I have to swap because there's always a closet hitscanner that will outplay me everytime. But I can pop the turret using cover and that's one less thing to worry about, right?

But then this Masters support player says "why did you swap to pharrah? don't you know torb counters pharrah?" and I think (but don't say) "wait.... why do you think Torb counters Pharrah? If I hug cover as I shoot at the turret I'm fine. Am I being trolled? Am I an idiot? Does this person think I'm just going to blast off into the open air and let the aimbot turret kill me?" It was really striking how 'matter of factedly' the person just spat that out.

So, I dunno.... is there a blithe of trash advice on the net about this game? After they said that I googled a bit and saw a lot of incredibly low-effort 'counter' charts for OW2 on 'websites' that barely qualify as such. A lot of them were so... weird & nonsensical shite to me as a dude who has played the game since pre-release beta. Like, Junkrat as a hard counter to D.Va? What loving SR is that happening at?

Edit: Also just bit a more context I have been playing online FPS's for like 20 years so maybe I'm just naive & assume people should just 'know' when something is bullshit if they give it more than a moment's critical thought. But I dunno, I could be dumb and torb actually IS a pharrah counter & the thread can roast me. Why not, I'm a clown!

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 25, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

im depressed lol posted:

But then this Masters support player says "why did you swap to pharrah? don't you know torb counters pharrah?" and I think (but don't say) "wait.... why do you think Torb counters Pharrah? If I hug cover as I shoot at the turret I'm fine. Am I being trolled? Am I an idiot? Does this person think I'm just going to blast off into the open air and let the aimbot turret kill me?" It was really striking how 'matter of factedly' the person just spat that out.

So, I dunno.... is there a blithe of trash advice on the net about this game? After they said that I googled a bit and saw a lot of incredibly low-effort 'counter' charts for OW2 on 'websites' that barely qualify as such. A lot of them were so... weird & nonsensical shite to me as a dude who has played the game since pre-release beta. Like, Junkrat as a hard counter to D.Va? What loving SR is that happening at?

Edit: Also just bit a more context I have been playing online FPS's for like 20 years so maybe I'm just naive & assume people should just 'know' when something is bullshit if they give it more than a moment's critical thought. But I dunno, I could be dumb and torb actually IS a pharrah counter & the thread can roast me. Why not, I'm a clown!

At best torb is/was a soft counter to phara. Unless torb is cracked and can yeet chetos at you consistently, or is a master turret placer in hidey bullshit areas. I wouldn't consider him a hard counter though. Lots of new players do not understand phara's 3d movement and how to take advantage of it. They recently reduced his turret damage down to 11 from 14.

I'd be much more worried of: Widow/Ash, Soldier/Bastion/Baptist, Cass, Anna.
But torb? Low on my list. Unless again, cheatoing you to death.

Edit: Even if something is a hard counter to you, until its actively preventing from doing your job, there is no point to switch. I have been in plenty of QP games (and even a few weird comp games) where entire teams are trying to shut you down as a phara and can't, because your team is serving as a great distraction!

Edit 2: You actually tried something different, instead of continuing to ram your head into the wall. That should be celebrated, even if it didn't change the outcome. Lots of people will instant pick something and refuse to swap off, which is just as much of a problem. I get its QP, but no one came here for you to sit and throw a tantrum and not play with the other 4 people on the team.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 25, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Rawrbomb posted:

At best torb is/was a soft counter to phara. Unless torb is cracked and can yeet chetos at you consistently, or is a master turret placer in hidey bullshit areas. I wouldn't consider him a hard counter though. Lots of new players do not understand phara's 3d movement and how to take advantage of it. They recently reduced his turret damage down to 11 from 14.

I'd be much more worried of: Widow/Ash, Soldier/Bastion/Baptist, Cass, Anna.
But torb? Low on my list. Unless again, cheatoing you to death.

Edit: Even if something is a hard counter to you, until its actively preventing from doing your job, there is no point to switch. I have been in plenty of QP games (and even a few weird comp games) where entire teams are trying to shut you down as a phara and can't, because your team is serving as a great distraction!

Edit 2: You actually tried something different, instead of continuing to ram your head into the wall. That should be celebrated, even if it didn't change the outcome. Lots of people will instant pick something and refuse to swap off, which is just as much of a problem. I get its QP, but no one came here for you to sit and throw a tantrum and not play with the other 4 people on the team.

Yeah man, exactly. You feel me. Like I know my limitations on the flying babe, when I go to Pharrah I peak tab a lot more often because the instant I see them swap to hitscan I'm gonna book it to spawn and swap. It's just.... very "odd" to me how non-chalantly a person at a fairly high rank would drop something so asinine with such dull confidence.

"I know what a war crime is."

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1655402345193254917

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you look at the top500 for dps its all mostly pharah and echo (unless that's changed in the last week) because those characters are also overtuned to poo poo, hitscan isn't really strong enough against them.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

dogstile posted:

If you look at the top500 for dps its all mostly pharah and echo (unless that's changed in the last week) because those characters are also overtuned to poo poo, hitscan isn't really strong enough against them.

Yeah man but I loving suck at Pharrah compared to the 0.001 percenters, creme de le creme DPS masters of Overwatch lol.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

dogstile posted:

I play Pharah into Masters and have since release, and i would actually argue she's undertuned lol. She is extremely reliant on her team to really be effective. The game is really about break points and timing more than it is about anything else as discussed earlier.

If I 100% acc rockets into you, but they are 3 seconds apart, all I've done is build supp ult charge. If they 1 second apart I'm a Goddess of the Skies and am absolutely Bullshit according to the lobby. Literally one flick of a defense matrix/suzu/negating ability can be the difference between a team wipe and a dead Pharah, it really is that touchy.

And I think thats dumb as hell. It shouldn't be that twitchy and it is only that twitchy because there are so many ways to just negate accurate shooting/good positioning with the creep of invulnerability actions.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

dogstile posted:

From this season

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

Lot of those guys up there are going to have some sort of mercy pocket, and that completely changes everything. Ontop of it being top 500.

Just phara, and just echo are not the problem. Phara/Echo + Pocket is. Its hard to 1v2 to a pocket, so now you need to invest 2 players to counter. Which might be a losing strat depending on what is punching you in the face from the frontend.

toadee posted:

From this season

That's Yzna, they're absolutely insane at phara, they almost 100% have a pocket in those games.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 25, 2023

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

im depressed lol posted:

"I know what a war crime is."

Lmao that High-Noon fakeout on the mercy hahaha

*fingerguns*

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

heard u like girls posted:

Lmao that High-Noon fakeout on the mercy hahaha

*fingerguns*

Exactly! You get it.

Like, this is my favorite dead gay forum & my favorite dead gay game. And this brown-eye-rated thread's vibe is starting to feel like we're on the S.S. Kappatanic lining up to drink some cyanide-laced flavoraid as if it's some inevitability and like... yeah. It loving sucks that currently the best players in the world in this awesome game get to the top of those stairs only to realize it loving sucks up there. I dunno... I don't even know what loving rank I am. Am I bronze? Sure, if that's what the computer says I am.

I'll be a clown for the thread if it at least makes the waiting in that line a little more bearable for the lurkers & elites alike until Blizzard gets their poo poo together and actually respects their developers and gives them the resources to make the game the jewel it deserves to be. Here's some dumb poo poo I made 4 years ago. It has like 34 views.

"Do you plan for your death?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7UL2oBQ_u4

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 25, 2023

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

im depressed lol posted:

Also as much of a rug-pull as the PvE poo poo is/was, I'm still kinda excited to go for high-score chases with a group of people committed to it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ZxsMm7uek

That's what really gets me, tbh. I know it's not everyone's cuppa, but an always-up score attack mode with rotating maps and a few variables that change every few months would have been a reasonable consolatory offering while they "reconsider the direction they want to take PvE in.". It would have held things together a little better than whatever you want to call what we're getting.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Are we seriously not going to get a loving leaderboard with the new PvE? What the gently caress man, like come on!

Arcade-style poo poo like that is an easy hook for replay. And yeah, 'well actually, the score can be manipulated and isn't always consistent-' I loving ground those modes to the depths of hell with my buddies I know my man.

Edit: Wait, is it confirmed we won't get a leaderboard? Kinda lost my mind for a split second.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 25, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Once we see that PvE I'm sure it will be so amazing that there will be no doubts left as to why they needed to kill OW1 and gut half the game for it.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I’m at least hopeful that the inevitable incoming shutdown of the OWL will allow them to refocus efforts elsewhere on the game.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

As much fun (and as easy) as it is to bash on whatever tv-dinner style missions we're gonna get.... Overwatch is the best "feeling" FPS I've ever played so even if it's just 'pew pew various cool looking robots in copy-pasted environments' I'm kinda cool with that.

I dunno how much the 'community' gave a poo poo about the high-score chases, maybe they were dismissed as a waste of time or 'luck-based, no skill gg ez not worth my time gotta go pop 3 adderall and sign into my 5th widow alt and poo poo on bads' or whatever. But man, developing strats with 3 other people as you figure out first an 'optimal' strategy to first clear the map on the highest difficulty and then eventually developing a 'master plan' to break Top 500/200/50 with various organically developed tech that plays to everyone's strengths is a surprisingly engaging experience.

Especially if the people you're playing with are cool and want to do it without having senpai streamer in the back of their brain dictating how they "should" do it before you even make an attempt. Don't get me wrong, hitting a wall sucks and sometimes looking for a tip or two can be a godsend but there's something really fulfilling about DIYing a lot of it through trial and error. Especially against an AI opponent.

But like.. if there's no leaderboard and they just give us some dumb spray or a weapon charm no one actually gives a poo poo about for clearing it.... that sucks and someone should redline in a leaderboard feature ASAP. Even if it becomes a 'thing' and it becomes impossible for me to even break Top 10k... I dunno, the goalpost's moved; now breaking Top 10k is the mission.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 25, 2023

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lord Packinham posted:

I’m at least hopeful that the inevitable incoming shutdown of the OWL will allow them to refocus efforts elsewhere on the game.

Yeah, refocus on making actually decent skins :haw:

I'm kidding, but I dunno if they actually will get efforts put somewhere else at this point.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the hidden aspect of it and the insanely high apm (im not really sure this is the right phrase tbh, decisions per minute may be more accurate) of high level overwatch is also probably responsible for a certain level of gamer rage and "i should be in diamond but my silver teammates are dragging me down' . The level of dpm means scrubs like me watch gm level play and the constant stream of decision making is really hard to decipher. watching pros dissect bronze gameplay can be helpful but ultimately in the moment you might not even know you made five bad decisions in between the ones you are aware of. i find it super exciting and motivating despite not really getting any better but ive noticed at super low level play people are either angry as hell or super chill. theres very little in between. if this was a new game id probably be interested in fastidiously replaying my matches to analyze how i could improve and maybe even send some in to those youtubers that analyze low level play but im pretty happy to chill for the most part
you have the exact same phenomenon in counter-strike

overwatch is just way more unintuitive where shoot gun at man and hit them a lot can be the completely wrong or subpar play a lot of the time

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

another reason why I love quickplay is like, yeah the particular QP game this clip is from sucked. the matchmaker didn't really do so hot. but it was 11am and it was probably more concerned with filling the seats period than any sense of fairness. anyway 2 leavers and no backfill so we're all just goofing off.

but hey, the enemy sombra was playful and she gave me a neat clip to demo how loving much I love the sound in this game. I don't know how people can get so jaded and not constantly accolade the sound in this game; like HEY! take a tip from a fellow game-enjoyer if you haven't done something similar already; get rid of those garbage can green gamer razr headsets or whatever you got and get a pair of ~$100 headphones or whatever (I got a pair of sennheiser's that have lasted me like 8 years, very nice) and a good headphone amp that hooks up to the audio-optical port on your pc. you'd be amazed.

you might need to let the clip loop once or twice so the quality stabilizes because the emerald cuck ain't exactly good with computers.

https://twitter.com/earthklaans/status/1675500585477439488

like, I made a friend in quickplay in early days of overwatch. and he was weird cause like, I was always super nice to him but he would constantly neg me in games. but i'm chill and figure 'eh maybe he's just going through some poo poo, whatever let him talk' but he started getting more and more assertive about it. so eventually i was just like 'dude, like you keep blaming me for poo poo in game and... you loving play this game with lovely pc desktop speakers. what the gently caress is wrong with you?' and like... he just ghosted me lol. like a vampire geting hit by daylight. how weird, yet actually not cause that's very typical gamer-brain-rot.

Edit: pfffft.. my memory is so bad like... the game is clearly filled but for whatever reason I thought there were leavers.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

comedyblissoption posted:

you have the exact same phenomenon in counter-strike

overwatch is just way more unintuitive where shoot gun at man and hit them a lot can be the completely wrong or subpar play a lot of the time

its a fair point but it does add a whole extra level of complexity to the game. i get why people dont like it, its reasonable to say you want to shoot people in an fps game, but i really enjoy it. theres situations where letting our zen build trans faster by not pumping ana heals into an orbed dps in a quiet moment is the right call but i often dont think about that until its too late

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

bold of you to assume I'm not listening to grindcore much, much louder than the game audio

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

it might be just that i dont know anyone that has a pc hooked up to a home theatre or that hdmi audio is pretty good nowadays but it never occurred to me you could get a computer with an optical out port. i actually thought they werent even widely supported nowadays just bc last time i had a 7.1 setup i had a hell of a time getting my cheap stereo that only had optical to talk to my amp because the expensive amp only had hdmi and the converter cables caused weird distortion

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 26, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prop...hunt...?

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

it might be just that i dont know anyone that has a pc hooked up to a home theatre or that hdmi audio is pretty good nowadays but it never occurred to me you could get a computer with an optical out port. i actually thought they werent even widely supported nowadays just bc last time i had a 7.1 setup i had a hell of a time getting my cheap stereo that only had optical to talk to my amp because the expensive amp only had hdmi and the converter cables caused weird distortion

Weird. I haven't built a new PC in a while but the last 3 PC's I made had a S/PDIF toslink port built into the motherboard. I was really tired when I wrote that post & should have used the proper terminology.

Is that not common anymore? I remember it being so ubiquitous that it would probably have been almost impossible to purchase a motherboard that didn't have one.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

This is what I mean by "Headphone amp". Sorry for the kinda vague language.

Seems like they don't sell this specific one anymore but this is the last model I recommended to a friend. Not very pricey, maybe $50? Definitely don't fall for any audio-phile snake oil, it's a very cheap device to produce.

Edit: Yeah it's more a DAC with a headphone out than a "true" headphone amp. I've seen odd setups where a person would have one of these AND a tube headphone amp but... yeah you don't need that poo poo just get a box like this and plug your headphones in direct.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 26, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javik the Seer posted:

I play Pharah into Masters and have since release, and i would actually argue she's undertuned lol. She is extremely reliant on her team to really be effective. The game is really about break points and timing more than it is about anything else as discussed earlier.

I'd argue she's actually easier at lower elo's because if you can convince someone to pocket (and no, asking for teamwork in a team game is not unreasonable) then the enemy dps is going to be much, much worse at shooting you down. It goes from "i have to be careful and play around cover" to "i can concuss blast myself directly at them and they'll probably still miss".

Rawrbomb posted:

Just phara, and just echo are not the problem. Phara/Echo + Pocket is. Its hard to 1v2 to a pocket, so now you need to invest 2 players to counter. Which might be a losing strat depending on what is punching you in the face from the frontend.

Even if you have two hitscans, they're still nowhere near as good as the pharah pocket because oh how quickly she can delete them. Typically pharmercy requires most of a team to swap to counter them, it goes from "hey you need hitscan" to "hey you need two hitscan, dva, mercy and probably ana".

Even then she's so safe that she can still effectively poo poo on a team and cause enough of a distraction (remember the distraction argument from a couple pages ago?) that the rest of the team just barrels through.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

tyrelhill posted:

yea you cant take the game seriously anymore, just qp in comp and dgaf about losing

This is the way. Having a great time!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Echo/Phara mercy is the bastion of high mmr overwatch

More of a test of your team's coordination and communication than an actually oppressive strategy, but unlike bastion you really need 3-4 members of your team to be on the same page in order to deal with it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

I'd argue she's actually easier at lower elo's because if you can convince someone to pocket (and no, asking for teamwork in a team game is not unreasonable) then the enemy dps is going to be much, much worse at shooting you down. It goes from "i have to be careful and play around cover" to "i can concuss blast myself directly at them and they'll probably still miss".

Even if you have two hitscans, they're still nowhere near as good as the pharah pocket because oh how quickly she can delete them. Typically pharmercy requires most of a team to swap to counter them, it goes from "hey you need hitscan" to "hey you need two hitscan, dva, mercy and probably ana".

Even then she's so safe that she can still effectively poo poo on a team and cause enough of a distraction (remember the distraction argument from a couple pages ago?) that the rest of the team just barrels through.

half the success of pharahmercy is that the other team starts screaming at their hitscan for not handling pharahmercy and things spiral from there lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That and just randomly spamming rockets where the healers have to peek.

I've lost count of the amounts of fights i've won because a damage boosted rocket has hit an Ana that i'm not even really aiming at.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

dogstile posted:

I'd argue she's actually easier at lower elo's because if you can convince someone to pocket (and no, asking for teamwork in a team game is not unreasonable)

Absolutely man, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

And let me tell you (too lazy to find the screenshot) the second I read a gamer-brain-rotted DPS dumby having the audacity to think blue-chat was a safe space to type "POCKET ME YOU RETARD" like an abusive shitheel I quickly made orange-chat a blistering inferno that logged every single stupid mistake he made during the match afterwards.

It's quickplay, & I usually try to do my best- but there's no SR on the table so no biggie I'll gladly spend half the game playing whitehat Overbully. No SR to lose/gain, but maybe that guy got some SSRI's after I mercilessly ridiculed him.

Edit: Oh and just for the record I was the second DPS, not the support he was being mean to. and there's no loving way they were not a he

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 26, 2023

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

field balm posted:

bold of you to assume I'm not listening to grindcore much, much louder than the game audio

But does the grindcore got Dolby Atmost? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

half the success of pharahmercy is that the other team starts screaming at their hitscan for not handling pharahmercy and things spiral from there lol

Yeah and some people don't understand that on some maps you can just kind of ignore them and concentrate on killing the other three members.