Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The US army is probably one of the few organisations in the world that actually has the resources to do something about it.

On some level they must realise that their forever war against brown people has to wind down eventually, and they'd probably be able to sleep better if they switched to 'forever climate maintenence.' But then they're very much in the 'but I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs' camp.

There's probably a way of getting them to do it, if you could pitch it as ongoing contracts to PMCs to maintain the infrastructure.

Or just promise them an extra [number that can only be expressed via complex graphs] trillion a year once they do solve it. We'd have a worldwide network of 'cloud lazers' by next tuesday.

The army corps of engineers has done some genuinely incredible projects, and also some genuinely incredible damage with ill advised modifications to river courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

She must run a pretty lovely communications agency if she's that unaware of major ongoing world events.

Like calling up her media partners in 2 WTC on September 12th 2001 levels of blissfully unaware.

When I worked in a a local supermarket a women was talking about her holiday to her friend while at the till. She was complaining about the 'racket' outside the complex.
She had gone to Egypt in 2011.

UK holiday makers are oblivious.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

JoylessJester posted:

When I worked in a a local supermarket a women was talking about her holiday to her friend while at the till. She was complaining about the 'racket' outside the complex.
She had gone to Egypt in 2011.

UK holiday makers are oblivious.

This Daily Mash piece is very on-point about Rhodes. https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/non-britons-also-fleeing-rhodes-20230724238032

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In fairness to some, airlines and travel agencies are utter cunts when it comes to making sensible decisions about when they should or shouldn’t consider your trip scuppered and give you your hard earned money back.

When Covid first kicked off I’d paid for a holiday to Tokyo and despite the border being closed to tourists there was still no option to cancel my trip, with them not at all seeing a problem with flying us out to a country that was going to turn around and put us straight back on a plane home because the loving border is closed, and I had to sit and wait until they luckily changed the time of one of the flights which meant I could take advantage of the fine print that said they could be cancelled if there were changes made that I felt weren’t compatible with my original plans.

I would likely have been able to claim on the travel insurance if that hadn’t happened since it was all arranged pre-Covid but gently caress me there’s just no room for common sense in maximum capitalism hellworld I guess.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

In fairness if you're paying circa £7500 for a trip to Greece, you should have travel insurance and ATOL baked into the package for that kind of money else what the gently caress are you doing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

In fairness if you're paying circa £7500 for a trip to Greece, you should have travel insurance and ATOL baked into the package for that kind of money else what the gently caress are you doing

None of that matters in the face of most of the fine print, unless the home office puts out a “maybe don’t fly into hell this week” notice it’s pretty tough to claim you weren’t able to travel and be covered unless you got particularly lax insurance at a high premium

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH the expense and logistical hassle of going abroad is a big part of why I don't leave the country.

Even if you like holidays I can't imagine paying thousands for them and enduring the flights and faff necessary, as opposed to just... going to the coast or the lakes or something for a day or two.

I'd need a holiday to recover from the stress of going on holiday.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

TBH the expense and logistical hassle of going abroad is a big part of why I don't leave the country.

Even if you like holidays I can't imagine paying thousands for them and enduring the flights and faff necessary, as opposed to just... going to the coast or the lakes or something for a day or two.

I'd need a holiday to recover from the stress of going on holiday.

Many people find their lives enriched by experiencing cultures that aren't based around Yorkshire pudding and nonceing

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My understanding is that while holidays booked through travel agents are more expensive and they might try to strong-arm you, if you persevere, you are more likely to get your money back. Particularly if you have insurance or threaten to involve consumer protection authorities.

If you book flights and stay all on your own, it is much, much harder to get refunds back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Many people find their lives enriched by experiencing cultures that aren't based around Yorkshire pudding and nonceing

Sure and if i could just snap my fingers and teleport there's lots of places I'd go, but the expense and grief is a big hurdle.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Sure and if i could just snap my fingers and teleport there's lots of places I'd go, but the expense and grief is a big hurdle.

I've just come back from 2 weeks in the alps for a once in a lifetime trip and the two travel days were annoying and crowded but they were completely, 100% worth it for the joy of being somewhere else and having new experiences, seeing new sights. The lakes are nice but other parts of the world are definitely worth seeing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

My understanding is that while holidays booked through travel agents are more expensive and they might try to strong-arm you, if you persevere, you are more likely to get your money back. Particularly if you have insurance or threaten to involve consumer protection authorities.

If you book flights and stay all on your own, it is much, much harder to get refunds back.

This is about the long and the short of it but the difference is “little chance outside of some near-apocalyptic scenarios” vs “virtually no chance at all”.

There really are very few ‘acceptable’ reasons they’ll allow for you to not travel and get a refund once they’ve got your money.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you’re paying for the ATOL insurance really, you can much more easily book the flights transfer and hotel much cheaper by yourself

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

She must run a pretty lovely communications agency if she's that unaware of major ongoing world events.

Like calling up her media partners in 2 WTC on September 12th 2001 levels of blissfully unaware.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

A friend and I had booked "the holiday of a lifetime" in 2020 - I was 60 that year. Not only was my 60th birthday party a 45 min zoom call with relatives, but obviously our trip was cancelled (which I was glad about because I couldn't really afford it - £3k each). We got our money back via the travel agent very smoothly so I'm extremely glad I persuaded my friend that for such a holiday as that we should not try to book our own flights accommodation interior trips as we would be much more protected via an agent. We booked and paid first half before COVID.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
As I have recently learnt to my detriment, travel agencies are there to hold your hand when things are going well, but as soon as anything goes wrong their absolute number one priority is making sure that they don't spend so much as a tenner on helping you out.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Angry about needless holidaying.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The flying is part of the fun of travelling for me. Airports are interesting places and you can get drunk at any hour. Just going on a voyage around our globe is an exhilarating experience.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Being on a plane is bizarrely one of the few things in life that makes my anxiety go away entirely, because I have absolutely no agency or ability to affect anything whilst in flight so my brain somehow just switches that part off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like getting the train places, just again expensive and a pain in the arse if something gets cancelled.

Not a fan of planes though, humans were not meant to be more than 5 feet off the ground which I know because if I go higher than that I feel the angry eye of god looking at me.

It might be nice to take, like, a sleeper train into germany or something, but again horribly expensive.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 25, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I do want to travel again and find it really worthwhile, but at the same time I find it incredibly relaxing to just go and stay in a cabin in the countryside somewhere where I can just wander around in nice surroundings with no obligations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
At the airport terminal I feel so unusual

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Being on a plane is bizarrely one of the few things in life that makes my anxiety go away entirely, because I have absolutely no agency or ability to affect anything whilst in flight so my brain somehow just switches that part off.

concerning behaviour for a pilot but ok

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If the kids are UNITEed they will never be divided... erm

https://twitter.com/AMSZ66/status/1683822258500894720?s=20

Haven't quite cancelled mine yet (too late to stop this month's direct debit).

What have Unite done? I'm a bit out of the loop on the union.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think they capitulated to Labour at the recent policy forum circle-jerk

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/weirdmedieval/status/1683872652207722496?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that that's basically exactly what they were writing at pompeii as well.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s as if JRR Tolkien had been let loose on a toilet cubicle wall with a sharpie after 6 pints

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1683878590729932800

:toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

It’s as if JRR Tolkien had been let loose on a toilet cubicle wall with a sharpie after 6 pints
That would just be a big spunking cock with "the hard spirit of concupiscence" written under it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That front page is also a spunking cock with some words under it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

Ihumans were not meant to be more than 5 feet off the ground which I know because if I go higher than that I feel the angry eye of god looking at me.

Nah, that’s just tall people, we might seem intimidating, but we’re just normal people

Taller and therefore better, but not gods

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The idea we live in any kind of democracy needs to be stopped until we figure out what the hell is going on.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol the parody never ends

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1683874223910006788

"Except opportunities to eat, gently caress that."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My Labour government will shatter the class ceiling so that it is equally illegal for rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brendan has decided to flip the record and get mad about people getting mad about Barbie. Some rare Brendans in the comments

https://twitter.com/speccoffeehouse/status/1683827021040721923?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The replies are grand

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The worst Brendan you know just made an excellent point.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If the kids are UNITEed they will never be divided... erm

https://twitter.com/AMSZ66/status/1683822258500894720?s=20

Haven't quite cancelled mine yet (too late to stop this month's direct debit).

If you're in a work environment where Unite actually exist or have a good retired members branch near you then don't be silly, this is exactly the same thing as all the idiots saying they're leaving the NEU because of that Ukraine motion. It's a union, not a political party. You're in it for workplace power and can organise to change all the other political bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean... how do you get change without threatening to withdraw your participation? A union of all places should understand that you can't just ask for things and expect to get them.