Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's good that the game is coming out soon, because if it reviews well, people can post Tekken Ate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I played a bit of Friends of Mineral Town today and when the game started I realized that oh, this was part of like the three Harvest Moon games that had like the same cast of characters and similar settings, and my childhood Harvest Moon was Back to Nature, which was one of them, so there's a lot of character and music stuff that's tickling my brain in a good way.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Waffleman_ posted:

I played a bit of Friends of Mineral Town today and when the game started I realized that oh, this was part of like the three Harvest Moon games that had like the same cast of characters and similar settings, and my childhood Harvest Moon was Back to Nature, which was one of them, so there's a lot of character and music stuff that's tickling my brain in a good way.

childhood harvest moon playing instead of going outside :salute:
oops I guess that one doesn't exist anymore

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I would challenge the “shenmue is good” goons to play them again

Playing a game again is antithetical to being a goon with an opinion

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Replay a game? I don't even select "retry" when I die in a game. I'm a loser who couldn't save the world, no sense pretending otherwise, everyone knows.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I would challenge the “shenmue is good” goons to play them again
I replayed them immediately before shenmue 3 came out, and thinking it's about time for another replay

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing FFIX again instead. I'm very bad at jumping rope

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so naraka puts you in the hall of fame based on your city, state and region and apparently it thinks i'm in some place called Texline but i looked it up and that is a tiny town 630 miles away. and i can't change it :v:

but hey now i get to wear a nifty lil icon next to my name for a week. i'll take it

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Games Forum posted:

It turns out it was accidentally set to private! I fixed it :)
Thanks! Watching it while work is slow today.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Totk got me spoiled. Diablo 4, and Remnant 2, look too repetitive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

so naraka puts you in the hall of fame based on your city, state and region and apparently it thinks i'm in some place called Texline but i looked it up and that is a tiny town 630 miles away. and i can't change it :v:

but hey now i get to wear a nifty lil icon next to my name for a week. i'll take it

so begins the story of one player's journey to become the number 1 Yoto in the tri-state area

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Runa posted:

so begins the story of one player's journey to become the number 1 Yoto in the tri-state area

Who will claim the crown of the first Delmarva champion?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Not really possible with today's TVs. Maybe? I think the console needs internal hardware to support it? There is this coming out eventually someday https://polymega.com/ that has a lightgun peripheral, and the console is designed to play Sega CD, Saturn, and PlayStation 1 games. But I am not entirely sure how exactly they make this possible. I just know retro light gun games do not work on modern TVs, and this makes me sad because I still love playing Sega Saturn games, which has many light gun games.
i dont think the Polymega is ever coming out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i dont think the Polymega is ever coming out

Yeah its been coming out for years now.

[edit]
Actually it does look like people have them but they are forever backordered, there is a good review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyYXL7JO4Gs This took any interesting I had for the system, and smashed them against a rock lol.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 25, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been playing a little everquest, as I do once a decade or whatever, and im suddenly realizing that the spiritual successor of eq, is grindr. the whole experience of shouting in zone for buffs and binds and groups, and then getting hits from a lot of weirdos and trying to suss out which ones are going to get you killed or flake, is still extremely relevant in 2023

anyway im in castle crushbone now which is the best mmo zone's anyone ever come up with

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are a couple Everquest spiritual successors that I have been waiting on, but they are either forever in development, or took peoples kickstarter money and then disappeared.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

honestly im not really interested in anyone's take on straight up eq-likes at this point, I think the wells been thoroughly mined for a long time now. if you're shooting for eq nostalgia now you gotta do something really weird with it, like nevergrind online, or that itch.io game about exploring an abandoned mmo, or dread delusion kind of (more of a kf like tbf). otherwise all the old freaks that like eq are just going to keep occasionally playing eq

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

when is risk of rain returns coming out, I'm tired of waiting :shepspends:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kefa posted:

I forgot about this and would also like to know

The original owns, though multi was always a huge pain in the rear end to set up with port forwarding nonsense

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kefa posted:

Yes, i'm looking forward do this one too. I like the original Risk of Rain more than the sequel.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

RBA Starblade posted:

The original owns, though multi was always a huge pain in the rear end to set up with port forwarding nonsense

Hopefully it does come out this year as promised.

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know about risky before the sequel but ror2 ended up being one of my all-time favourites. Wasn't a huge fan of ror1 after playing ror2, but the changes they're bringing to RoRR got me excited. I do see the appeal of 2D for this game of game though. RoR2 is essentially just running around enemies and hoping you don't get hit because it's virtually impossible to dodge everything.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dabir posted:

Dark Souls 1 plays fine today. You want to talk about genre-defining clunkers, Phantasy Star Online, the original, is a fully 3D game whose camera controls are as follows:
  • L1: Recenter camera behind character

• No, really, that's all you get.

worked for Jet Set Radio

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What genre did jet set radio help define

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I tested a DS4 that's been unused for a couple of years, and the left and right buttons don't work anymore. Pretty sure that wasn't the case when I last used it (I kept it in a drawer in a dry room). Is that kind of passive deterioration rare?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dabir posted:

The concept of love

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dabir posted:

the genre of good dreamcast games that got unjustly bad sequels

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Diablo 4 thread is the most cursed thread I have seen in a long while, if not ever. Everyone hates the game, all the other posters, and themselves.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

whats funny is that underneath all the horrible microtransaction/pay to win bullshit in Diablo Immortal i remember hearing multiple people say the game itself was actually pretty good and fun to play

i haven't heard about (or experienced) a single positive thing in diablo 4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kerrzhe posted:

ehem

Kerrzhe posted:

speaking of which it turns out all i had to do to have a fun time with diablo 4 is roll a necro and skip the story

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be honest, I did enjoy what I played, though I did get bored of my Barbarian early on. I am thinking about rolling a Druid or something else sometime.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man whatever fun i might have been having in that moment was very short lived in retrospect

the early levels are whatever, especially on your first character. the mid levels (20s-30s) are probably the only place the game shines, when you have your skills and passives unlocked and are just playing through the campaign or doing stuff on the map. but then by the time you hit 50 you start to realize that your build isn't ever going to really change later on, the levels are going to slow down exponentially, and the endgame consists of just running the same dungeons you've already been doing, over and over and over again. every dungeon looks the same, helltides are a pain in the rear end, gearing up is a pain in the rear end. just one thing after another being bad. and on top of that the first season patch is such a huge shitshow they apologized for it

i regret paying $70 for it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is "randomly sends unprompted button presses to the console" a common PS3 controller defect? It's happening with both the ones I own. Like every so often it'll just act like I smashed my palm into the face buttons.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dabir posted:

Dunno about genres but tech-wise it's the originator of cel shading.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm hyped!

A cool thing in Six Ages that activated part of my brain forever was that horse riding is a type of magic, you can't learn it by practice no matter how hard you try. If you don't have the magic, you gotta use chariots. That's some dope mythology.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I retract my Spider-man Remastered is perfect statement

Cause I forgot about the constant forced stealth/Mary-Jane/Miles Morales sections.

I don't want forced stealth

I want pictures of Spider-man!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

emSparkly posted:

Is "randomly sends unprompted button presses to the console" a common PS3 controller defect? It's happening with both the ones I own. Like every so often it'll just act like I smashed my palm into the face buttons.

Probably some gunk in there. Take them apart and clean the contact points with isopropyl alcohol. Warning: PS3 controllers are a nightmare to put together again.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Someone romhacked a 1988 McDonald's game for the NES called Donald Land and replaced all the sprites with art based on the 1977 animated movie Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure and called it Raggedy Land with Ann and Andy. I never had a Raggedy doll growing up or watched said movie, but it looks like a nice effort. One of the romhack's co-authors previously did the Thief and the Cobbler romhack of Super Mario Bros. 2 after releasing a fan restoration of the movie

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 25, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

whats funny is that underneath all the horrible microtransaction/pay to win bullshit in Diablo Immortal i remember hearing multiple people say the game itself was actually pretty good and fun to play

I really want to like Diablo 4 but so much of its design is something I personally dont find enjoyable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1683857027121152002?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone tried making a Diablo 1 clone, that was the best one IMO. Spooky, lonely, desecrated horror vibe with a singular mission to beat up the devil. Sometimes you ory a cool weapon off a corpse or find a treasure stash but mostly you're trying to survive with what you can get your hands on, balancing any gold you find with limited potions you need to buy carry. Also it has an ending where you just stop playing it.