Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grand Fromage posted:

They say they fixed death waves.

Googling said that as long as you don't zone too many residentials at once then this shouldn't be an issue anymore? I have been filling in Res very slowly and I haven't come across any issues yet at 45k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

but that's the point. if they actually fixed death waves then you should be able to zone a big swath of residential at once without any problems

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I wish they would add in stuff like advisors and city board members. Some sort of political stuff you could ignore if you wanted but could add a little spice to the simulation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That’s the kind of thing I actually think could make an interesting expansion. Or a terrible one if handled poorly.
I think it’d be possible to set it up in such a way it could be detached from whatever future systems are added while still being meaningful.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'd love for C:S2 to have proper advisors with characterization. The SimCity 2000 and 3000 advisors had so much character. Well, 3000's did at least. On reflection, most of the characterization of 2000's advisors was entirely the work of Bob Mackey. Regardless, give me more goofballs like the SC3k cast.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

Me with a single road weaving a 250 km track through my city since I never unlocked intersections.

You need mods for the ultra-thin aspect ratio maps to let you build the Saudi Line City

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started a simple city and on the very first road had a weird problem where whole blocks were missing the zoning grid. I kept destroying and rebuilding the roads thinking that I was doing something wrong and sometimes the missing grid would reappear as I built and then disappear, and then my water and sewage pumps weren't operating even though power and pipes were correct, and then I decided to just wait for the new game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dick Trauma posted:

I started a simple city and on the very first road had a weird problem where whole blocks were missing the zoning grid. I kept destroying and rebuilding the roads thinking that I was doing something wrong and sometimes the missing grid would reappear as I built and then disappear, and then my water and sewage pumps weren't operating even though power and pipes were correct, and then I decided to just wait for the new game.

They added a zoning toggle in the last patch. On, off, or one side of the road only. It's just to the left of the snapping options.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m a little concerned that I might become hyped for this game. Spore taught me never to be excited about a video game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I wish they would add in stuff like advisors and city board members. Some sort of political stuff you could ignore if you wanted but could add a little spice to the simulation.

I've been thinking this could be a great addition to the genre for some time now. Likely tricky stuff to balance, but worth the effort imo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

They added a zoning toggle in the last patch. On, off, or one side of the road only. It's just to the left of the snapping options.

:negative:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It happened to me too and I've been playing with the zoning adjustment mod for years. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I know why it works that way, but I really hate that the vanilla "no zoning" tool and the Zone Adjustment mod both prevent you from slapping a ploppable down on the side of the road that's been denied zoning.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I cleaned up the mess and then even though my town was tiny I was out of money already. I'd forgotten that you don't get all the money back when you bulldoze and I did a TON of bulldozing trying to figure out what I'd done wrong.

START AGAIN

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqzV0Bnofk

Biffa talking about his experience building the city featured in the latest dev diary.

He was asked to make a city that made money, whereas 2 dollars 20 was asked to make something more aesthetic and show off-y, hence why it wasn't making money.
Money making is a more challenging, but doesn't slide into micromanaging sliders. You probably need to plan out your service building purchases at least a bit.
Despite having played the Beta he's still learning from the dev diaries.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 23, 2023

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Honestly out of all of the changes, I'm almost the most hyped for the prospect of the game actually being somewhat challenging. I know a lot of people are into the model trainset side of these kinds of games, but I love seeing the visuals of the city more as... the manifestation of a series of good city-making decisions on the player's part.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Koramei posted:

Honestly out of all of the changes, I'm almost the most hyped for the prospect of the game actually being somewhat challenging. I know a lot of people are into the model trainset side of these kinds of games, but I love seeing the visuals of the city more as... the manifestation of a series of good city-making decisions on the player's part.

Luckily there is the option to disable money right from the start for the Bonsai garden players.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Anno posted:

Does anyone here frequent non-video game city planning/general city stuff content? Maybe it’s a weird question but, despite living in the outskirts of a decently sized city for almost half my life now I’ve never really thought about it came to be/where it’s going etc. a whole lot, and getting hyped for CS2 has me interested in the concept more broadly.

If you want to watch C:S Let's Play meets leftist polemical, you can't go past donoteat01's channel. He's really just using C:S as a visual medium for talking about IRL stuff.

Not Just Bikes also looks at real-world urban planning (no connection to C:S), from a lens particularly critical of car-centric infrastructure.

Robert Caro's The Power Broker is ostensibly a biography of Robert Moses, a ruthless New York city planner who effectively consolidated power around himself for a decent chunk of the 20th century, but more broadly offers a fascinating look into both urban planning and the way political power works in America. Caro is a gifted writer who makes the characters come alive on the page, and is also an intensely dedicated researcher/interviewer; he interviews not just big players like Moses, LaGuardia, etc but people from the low-income neighbourhoods Moses bulldozed to build his freeway overpasses. It's a massive tome, which is also available as an audiobook.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m so hyped for it that it may well be the final push I needed to get a new drat computer lmao

My desktop finally gave up the ghost last month and I'm limping along with an OG Surface Book for now, but I reckon my next build is going to be C:S2 centric.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 24, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It was getting time to replace my desktop anyway so it was an easy decision to move that timetable forward a few months, given that the back half of this year contains CS2, Armored Core VI, Phantom Liberty, and Starfield, literally all of which I want to be able to crush

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I spit my tea all over the monitor.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

New feature highlight: Power and Water

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aNNVd9pH9Q

Looks like there is still some kind of water simulation, shows flow arrows on the rivers.

Electricity seems more complex too, you need to add more substations with HV connections if the draw gets too high for one area.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I feel like this is a good compromise between the SC style run a line there and forget about it and W&RSR style "you need a transmission line. no not that one, this one."

i do hope there is an option or mod to have aboveground lines just for visual effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I wish W&R was a bit less absolutist about its connection ranges, and being able to use the road grid to lay the actual lines is welcome too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Holy moly, groundwater? that’s susceptible to pollution??? :eyepop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Breaking into a cold sweat when they say surface water is the same as in the first game.

"while buildings not placed roadside need to be connected manually." Buildings that can be placed without a road without Move It, you say.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Awesome. Thank you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The dev diary didn't have much, most important thing IMO was that high voltage power cables can be run underground so you don't have to have those towers running all over the city.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dev diary also specifically mentions hydroelectric depends on "the water simulation" so yeah that's a confirmation.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/development-diary-6-electricity-water.1593173/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those buildings on the dam... lol

I think those are supposed to be on the ground.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The dev diary didn't have much, most important thing IMO was that high voltage power cables can be run underground so you don't have to have those towers running all over the city.

Oh thank god lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it's been 7 years, surely they've tweaked the water simulation and made the physics less buggy :shepface:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

More likely that they'll mention the water sim in the developer insights, but I expect they probably built on third party fluid sim modules for unity as their base and so would likely be using a much newer one in CS2.

OwlFancier posted:

Those buildings on the dam... lol

I think those are supposed to be on the ground.

The sewage outlets aren't animating either, I suspect this whole area is still in dev.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 24, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

More likely that they'll mention the water sim in the developer insights, but I expect they probably built on third party fluid sim modules for unity as their base and so would likely be using a much newer one in CS2.

The sewage outlets aren't animating either, I suspect this whole area is still in dev.

IIRC the first game's simulation was something along the lines of a grad project that one of their devs did that was just kind of laying around so they included it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I kinda hate it personally but I think they'd be silly to take the water sim out, it's probably the most notable part of the game for a huge chunk of the general audience.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mod that changes viscosity and shaders to make it into pudding.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I’m looking forward to the “Economy & Production” dev diary scheduled for 8/14, and *maybe* the one after, “Citizen simulation & lifepath”? Felt way too easy to print money in CS1. Really hoping for something substantial.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Koramei posted:

I kinda hate it personally but I think they'd be silly to take the water sim out, it's probably the most notable part of the game for a huge chunk of the general audience.

I loved loving with the water in C:S. I don't think the water enjoyed being hosed with, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i just want to be able to build maps where narrow rivers arent just series of tidal waves