Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Have you considered turning those tidal waves into a method of bulk-deleting houses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i just want to be able to build maps where narrow rivers arent just series of tidal waves

spam water sources along the course of the river to regulate it. gently caress dams

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

If the water Sim isn't trash it actually can add some interesting interaction with weather and tides and potentially sea level rise.

Where you need to build breakwaters and sea walls to deal with regular storms instead of just huge tsunamis.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given they're doing climate and weather as a big deal, maybe they will.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

People getting pissed off about needing to build resilient infrastructure would be funny af.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just want to be able to do something with water without it being the apocalypse every time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Having to deal with flooding in a realistic way would be quite neat. CS1s approach to water wouldn't lend itself well to that, however.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i just want to be able to build maps where narrow rivers arent just series of tidal waves

Texture along the riverbed will prevent the river tsunamis. I achieved it in my first LP city by just setting raise/lower land to a random strength and spamming left and right clicks as I moved along the riverbed.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
robust water simulation to force people to build and maintain infrastructure in an intelligent way sounds great. a giant, demented blob with a penchant for climbing up mountains due to unfathomable rage at encountering a rock was not great

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I very much would enjoy it if deepening some riverbeds for spare soil did not reverse the entire flow of the river somehow.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hope that freeway exit building is easier in the new one because I'm about to give up on my new city because it makes me crazy. I watch the videos and I have no idea how this comes so easily to everyone. I know what I want, but getting the tools to do it feels impossible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The people who've played it have mentioned it works better. Do you have Move It and Network Anarchy? Those make the process way simpler.

I've started just using prebuilt workshop ones more often too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope that freeway exit building is easier in the new one because I'm about to give up on my new city because it makes me crazy. I watch the videos and I have no idea how this comes so easily to everyone. I know what I want, but getting the tools to do it feels impossible.
Unless they specifically say they're using the base game, I guarantee you that every video you're watching is using multiple mods. Traffic Manager, Move It, and Network Anarchy are the "look, the roads just don't work right without these" holy trinity.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think that like with alot of games I'm just too stupid to play this. I still enjoy watching the videos though so there's that. I'll uninstall and wait for the new one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I think that like with alot of games I'm just too stupid to play this. I still enjoy watching the videos though so there's that. I'll uninstall and wait for the new one.
You're not stupid, you're just new. What's driving you crazy right now? We'll help!

Also you can watch this series, it's what got me up to speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8YwpngbzE&t=2s

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
It was probably already noticed, but I just realised that the CS2 base game will be available on Gamepass from day 1.

Can't wait to find out how hopeless I am at city planning.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd love some kind of disaster-management SimCity-esque game built from the ground up to revolve around that kind of play. Climate change forcing policy changes, weather defenses, refugees and migration forcing sponsored housing, maybe eventually adaptation to all-indoors air conditioning and whatever for big parts of the city. I think you could do tons of interesting things with a survival-game esque city builder.

But... not sure I want that to be in Skylines 2. Building up roads and neighborhoods is too fiddly, you get too invested in the things you're making. Ripping it away will be kind of frustrating if that's not a core tenet of the game. E.g. I can enjoy making a foundation of rural farmland in SC4 and then paving over it as my city grows, because I knew that was the plan from the word go and intentionally never cared much about the farmland. With the rest though, I don't have that outlook, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. There's a reason most people save the game ahead of unleashing disasters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some of these choices are so confusing. Why does a solar power plant have high noise pollution? Why do batteries have noise and air pollution?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

Koramei posted:

But... not sure I want that to be in Skylines 2. Building up roads and neighborhoods is too fiddly, you get too invested in the things you're making. Ripping it away will be kind of frustrating if that's not a core tenet of the game. E.g. I can enjoy making a foundation of rural farmland in SC4 and then paving over it as my city grows, because I knew that was the plan from the word go and intentionally never cared much about the farmland. With the rest though, I don't have that outlook, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that. There's a reason most people save the game ahead of unleashing disasters.

I agree. Disasters in these games tend to be less “can I survive this?” and more “can I remember where I plopped all these custom mailboxes and hedges?”.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Grand Fromage posted:

Some of these choices are so confusing. Why does a solar power plant have high noise pollution? Why do batteries have noise and air pollution?

“Well we have to give it a downside”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume "noise pollution" is just a general "kinda lovely to live next door to" stat. I really don't imagine it will cause a problem. It didn't really in CS1 for all people couldn't stop whingeing about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It doesn't seem like noise pollution is as damaging in 2 but air pollution will make citizens sick. Whole neighborhoods full of Chuck McGills freaking out about the battery fumes.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

“Well we have to give it a downside”

Solar already has downsides! It's expensive per megawatt (which also I wish they would stop doing like it's still 1993 but that's another conversation) and it doesn't work at night so you have to build batteries.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 27, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

You're not stupid, you're just new. What's driving you crazy right now? We'll help!

Also you can watch this series, it's what got me up to speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8YwpngbzE&t=2s

I've been struggling mightily with building a new interchange so that my industrial district can connect directly to the nearby highway. I've watched the videos by City Planner and Biffa and the way they fly through construction leaves me baffled. I understand the basic idea but translating that to actual clicks has been impossible for me. There are some canned interchanges but they're gigantic and require destroying alot of the nearby highway to make it line up.

I'm going to spend some time playing with the elevation tools to try and get a better feel for it, but I will always loathe guide videos that show you maybe the first two clicks and then switch to 8x speed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been struggling mightily with building a new interchange so that my industrial district can connect directly to the nearby highway. I've watched the videos by City Planner and Biffa and the way they fly through construction leaves me baffled. I understand the basic idea but translating that to actual clicks has been impossible for me. There are some canned interchanges but they're gigantic and require destroying alot of the nearby highway to make it line up.

I'm going to spend some time playing with the elevation tools to try and get a better feel for it, but I will always loathe guide videos that show you maybe the first two clicks and then switch to 8x speed.

What type of interchange are you trying to build?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

audible solar panels and batteries creating air pollution gives me hope that the devs will also be brave enough to properly simulate 5g towers melting people's brains and windmills causing mass bird and insect extinction

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

You don't need a dedicated exit for your industrial traffic unless your existing interchange is getting jammed up. Also, the game offers you a few pre-built ones, you can just pause the game, bulldoze the highways where you want the interchange, plop down a pre-built one, and then reconnect the highways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The simplest exit to build is just the old overpass type.

Highway is already in place. The first thing you want to build is the yellow part. Pick a four or six lane road, move it up in the air two or three taps--you'll adjust this later. Send it straight across your highway, with each end a unit or two away from the side of the highway.

Next are your ramps. Here you're going to start with the regular old one way highway ramp roads, if traffic is bad you can adjust this later. It doesn't really matter where you start. Click on one end of the yellow part, drag your road roughly parallel, and tap page down until it's ground level. Build this (again, you can adjust it later). Next you want to join the highway. Make sure anarchy is on, switch to the curved road tool, and connect. You may have to use Move It to slide the node around. If you want to future proof this somewhat, make the ramp pretty long so there's room for traffic to stack up. Check to be sure the road is going the right direction, use upgrade and right click to swap that.

Do that again for the other three. Switch the highway now, you want a segment or two of four lane on either side of the ramps (so not under the yellow part). That gives cars a place to merge or get off.

Now you can make it look better. Drag around nodes and change road curve, or use the arrange at line mode in Network Anarchy. Also use the slope tool. If the middle of the ramp looks stupid, use Node Adjuster to change that from a flat to a slope--click on Node Adjuster, click the node, then you'll see the option in the pop-up. Move the overpass up or down so it's just a bit taller than a semi truck.

Last steps. Go to TM:PE and make sure the on/off ramps have a lower speed limit than the highway, then check that the lane arrows force everyone to turn rather than allowing anyone to go forward. That will prevent idiots from getting off the highway then immediately back on. Click the stop sign/yield sign tool and set yield to both of the offramp intersections with the yellow part. At this point you should be good to go. It's going to be annoying the first several times you do it, those YouTube dudes have done this a thousand times which is why it looks easy.

If you're trying to do this without Move It, Network Anarchy, and TM:PE uh. Don't.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 27, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Kyte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqzV0Bnofk

Biffa talking about his experience building the city featured in the latest dev diary.

He was asked to make a city that made money, whereas 2 dollars 20 was asked to make something more aesthetic and show off-y, hence why it wasn't making money.
Money making is a more challenging, but doesn't slide into micromanaging sliders. You probably need to plan out your service building purchases at least a bit.
Despite having played the Beta he's still learning from the dev diaries.

This is an enjoyable listen. For obvious reasons he’s unable to talk about things that haven’t been announced yet, so it’s technically nothing new, but I’m hyped because from what he saying, there’s a lot more meat on the bone overall for those who felt like path to riches in 1 was a little too straightforward.

I’m trying to temper this hype with the possible fact that he can’t heavily criticize the game, so for all I know he might just be another arm of the PR campaign, but I dunno - seems like promising news? He also claims that unlock progression is better. I thought it was kind of annoying and limiting in CS1 so I disabled it entirely for a more SC4 experience.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The Dev blog says "This power plant only produces noise pollution, making it a green option" so my interpretation is that all power plants and batteries produce similar amounts of noise, it's just that noise is the only pollution of solar and that's why it was mentioned.

And why there's noise there is just because it's a large industrial site with ongoing operations and people maintaining and shouting and forklifts driving around refitting panels and etc, so don't plop it in the middle of your residential.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Here's a tutorial on how to build the Partial Clover Leaf interchange, it's pretty step by step and easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7veft1XFgNU

Here's another tutorial (same guy) for another ParClo, that's slightly more advanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E8fUa_9ajU

Filthy Lucre fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 27, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is close to exploit territory but is there some sort of mod that overhauls the noise pollution system? I get that you're going to be pretty miserable if there's a highway on one side of your house and a heavy industry rail on the other, But the only disease you're going to die of as a result of living right next to a metro station is priapism.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Game Anarchy lets you turn it off. I did that in my current game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Fromage. If noise pollution was the killer it is in this game there's no way you would have survived Chengdu.

Maybe make it only affect light residential or make some policy where residential costs more but insulates against noise pollution.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 29, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Interestingly before I hosed around with mods I downloaded financial district and I think it's introduced a memory leak into the game.

Trying to load anything takes like 6 minutes and then it crashes including a blank map.

Edit: used sky to deactivate all assets and mods, reinstalled the game. Vanilla fresh reinstall still has the memory leak. Guess I'm not revisiting.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 29, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

turn off the TV posted:

audible solar panels and batteries creating air pollution gives me hope that the devs will also be brave enough to properly simulate 5g towers melting people's brains and windmills causing mass bird and insect extinction

I’m picturing Charlie Day’s “kitten mittens” commercial from Its Always Sunny popping up in the Twitter feed thing, but with solar panels somehow.

Followed a few weeks later with an increasingly unhinged Pepe Silvia rant/cork board about solar panel noise pollution.

Make it happen, Paradox :colbert:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good news is I figured out my issue bad news is it's that one of my ram sticks died coincidentally at the same time I bought Financial districts and that's the real issue.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Eifert Posting posted:

the only disease you're going to die of as a result of living right next to a metro station is priapism.

I can't make any sense of this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Duodecimal posted:

I can't make any sense of this.

Living immediately next to a metro station will give you such a powerful convenience boner that you die.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

<cut to suggestive footage of trains going in and out of tunnels>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's true, when the subway station by my apartment in China finally opened I was rock hard for a week.