Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh my god i never even thought of unpacking the... file called a PACKAGE file let me try that lmao...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'd also try getting Snow Leopard (10.6) and installing that. The mac may need that to start, then it can software update from there.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

holy poo poo piss this may be working

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I've solved it! I don't think it was the most optimal way of doing it, but I got it done! Silly Burrito pointed me at the right direction but it wasn't the actual ultimate solution, because it still led to issues:

1. Downloading "Install macOS High Sierra.app"

This was not as straightforward as going to Apple's page as suggested. I found a blogpost explaining how it's done at https://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/download-complete-macos-high-sierra-installer/ , but basically

(a) Get the MacOS High Sierra Patch Tool at http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/
(b) Download the file by doing this:

This eliminated the need to unpackage the .pkg file, which unpkg was giving me trouble as well.

2. Making a bootable USB stick

I tried the patch tool mentioned above, and Install Disk Creator as Burrito suggested, but both of these gave me errors. I ultimately fell back to my original reddit solution of
code:
 cd /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/
codesign -s - -f createinstallmedia

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume
3. Installing the drat thing

loving finally. Now it's just to find out if I can even install chrome or firefox on this thing! Thanks all

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Awesome, glad it worked!!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

I know under certain conditions (which I don't remember but which happened more than once on my old '12 MBP), flattening & reinstalling meant I had to first install the original OS it shipped with (Mountain Lion, I think), then upgrade a few times until I got to Catalina. That's my only "reinstall the OS" experience with Apple (fingers crossed my M1 MBP doesn't have to jump thru those hoops in a worst-case scenario) & it was somewhat annoying.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 23, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm guessing it was missing a load of firmware updates which made the whole process a lot more difficult than it needed to be. Make sure you run software update a load until nothing is left and then try stepping through to the latest supported OS release if High Sierra isn't it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
(EDIT: This should go to Tech Support sorry bye)

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 23, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

MuadDib Atreides posted:

what actually is Arc? What does it do? The website doesn't explain

It’s a web browser that treats websites more like apps, which in practice means that rather than an address bar at the top you have a sidebar where you can pin things like your gmail or YouTube to be web apps that are constantly running in the background.

It also stacks your tabs into two categories separated by a line. Tabs above the line are basically bookmarked, and tabs below the line get deleted after 24 hours. You also have separate workspaces that you can quickly flip between, and a fancy copy/paste zone where you can scoop our entire chunks of website (and have them still work as live web content like a little window into the original website.

It’s very easy to move tabs and between workspaces and the navigation and gesture controls are all intuitive and fluid. Looks nice too. It all ends up feeling like an operating system for websites. So I’d say for work you just use a ton of web apps like gdocs and social media managers and Wordpress or whatever it’s a nice way to navigate and manage all that.

I agree, they don’t explain it well, and the media blitz they did earlier this year made it all seem a lot more vague and confusing. It’s a web browser that treats tabs and bookmarks as interchangeable and manages them in a more intuitive way. That’s really it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

what actually is Arc? What does it do? The website doesn't explain

My previous impressions/comments on Arc, and 5 more invites.

Corb3t posted:

macOS-only (coming to Windows later this year) Chromium-based browser that is attempting to shake up expectations around what a browser does. It has some Pretty cool features outlined here.

One of my favorite features, Boosts, let you Un-Enshittify many websites with ease, making them halfway useful again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

I personally love Arc's powerful Command Bar.

You can even directly search sites from it:
https://twitter.com/browsercompany/status/1646580021858037760?s=20

Corb3t posted:

Edit: Invites used, will post more next week.

I made the switch to Arc as my primary browser this week after using Firefox for the last year or two. Arc still feels noticeably snappier than Firefox, and appears to use less battery life as well.

It took me a couple days to get used to the sidebar navigation layout, but I love that I can use my trackpad or horizontal scroll wheel on my mouse to jump between different spaces/profiles - I setup 3 different spaces with 3 different profiles (Personal, Work, Hobbies), and now I can easily jump to my ~20-30 pinned tabs in seconds.

Arc boosts are also really fun to play with, there's even an online community of boosts that de-enshittify many social networks.

I made an effort to reduce my extensions drastically, as well - I've only installed 1Password, Choosy, Raindrop.io, TrackMeNot, and AdNauseum instead of your standard Ublock.

Other nice features include Being able to search a specific site from the search bar, the ability to easily right/bottom split another window, as well as Arc's mini video player - the way it pops up when you go to another tab with full controls is really nice.

Really, the only thing I miss from Firefox is their Bookmark keywords, which allowed me to assign a shortcut to my bookmarks.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What is the go to smooth scrolling app to make normal people mice not feel terrible? Smoothscroll seems nice but doesn’t play nice with BTT. Also I’m not paying :10bux: a drat year for a scrolling app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Warbird posted:

What is the go to smooth scrolling app to make normal people mice not feel terrible? Smoothscroll seems nice but doesn’t play nice with BTT. Also I’m not paying :10bux: a drat year for a scrolling app.

SteerMouse. It's a one time purchase and has a free trial, I believe

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How about Mac Mouse Fix

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

mos is another good free option that does smooth scrolling and also allows you to invert the mouse scroll separate to the trackpad.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank for the EQ recommendations earlier in the thread!

And the scrolling recommendations. I can't stand the Magic Mouse and the fact that you can't force macOS to treat a regular scroll wheel as "1 wheel click = X number of lines" like Windows is probably the most frustrating thing about macOS for me. It attempts to simulate touch scrolling, but my brain always interprets it as input lag.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And the scrolling recommendations. I can't stand the Magic Mouse and the fact that you can't force macOS to treat a regular scroll wheel as "1 wheel click = X number of lines" like Windows is probably the most frustrating thing about macOS for me. It attempts to simulate touch scrolling, but my brain always interprets it as input lag.

Pretty much all the mouse software mentioned (I can only speak to SteerMouse as I haven't tried the others in months since I settled on it) will have the option to scroll number of lines. I have it set to 5

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Ventura 13.5, Monterey 12.6.8 and Big Sur 11.7.9 were released today :siren:

Like anyone cares, the above updates are available through Software Update.

There's an issue with Mac Pros not mounting SATA drives after sleep that was supposedly fixed in Ventura 13.5.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I care, OP :kiddo:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Clark Nova posted:

I care, OP :kiddo:
Me too. :glomp:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Ventura 13.5, Monterey 12.6.8 and Big Sur 11.7.9 were released today :siren:

Like anyone cares, the above updates are available through Software Update.

There's an issue with Mac Pros not mounting SATA drives after sleep that was supposedly fixed in Ventura 13.5.

I think that was just for the 2024 ASi Mac Pros, for the 5 people who bought them! :haw:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually use third party mouse software so I can make my scrolling as smooth as possible - I’ve even turned off the ratchet scrolling on my MX Master 3. It’s certainly not for everybody.

Ideally, I’d just buy a magic trackpad and keep it to the left of my keyboard just so I can easily use MacBook-like gestures at my desk - I hate not having access to per-app four finger gestures that let me jump between tabs in most apps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ok I'll stop saying no one cares

At the moment even I care a little as it turns out I can't apply the Rapid Security Updates on my MP 5,1 and a couple of 2012 machines running Ventura 13.4.1 because they require (at least) Haswell CPUs; this means no pre-2013 models including the TrashCan Pro) the full point releases don't require them for some reason which I am sure someone in the know will come along and explain..

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey Arc fans just to say I switched back to it this week and it seems like whatever was making it super resource intensive before is now fixed. It's no longer making my MBA suspiciously warm, and it's stopped showing up as 'using significant energy' on the battery monitor. So I'm jumping back in!

Also, the upcoming macos update will apparently let other browsers use your keychain info. Does anyone know if this is already in the MacOS beta? If so, is it implemented in Arc?

Lack of Keychain support is still the one thing that's stopping this from effortlessly becoming my main browser. They always highlight it in their newsletter as a big bit of user feedback so they're clearly aware of it.

Oh and I also miss the pinch to show all tabs gesture from safari. But I guess this browser's whole deal is to dissuade you from having more tabs open than you need anyhow.

edit: wait never mind it's still guzzlin' battery way more than Safari. hmmm.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 25, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Grumbles posted:

Also, the upcoming macos update will apparently let other browsers use your keychain info. Does anyone know if this is already in the MacOS beta? If so, is it implemented in Arc?

Lack of Keychain support is still the one thing that's stopping this from effortlessly becoming my main browser. They always highlight it in their newsletter as a big bit of user feedback so they're clearly aware of it.

Supposedly, when you have the Sonoma beta installed, then the "iCloud Passwords" extension will allow you to use Keychain in Chromium browsers. Firefox support is coming later.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh, great. I hope it's not as terrible as the one they've had out for a while for Windows PCs. On the Windows extension, any time you want to enter a password, you need to click the keychain button, and then enter an authorization code given to you by a pop-up. It's real clunky. Hoping this one will be a little more slick.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Arc is now at 1.0, and no longer has a waitlist fyi

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

101 posted:

Arc is now at 1.0, and no longer has a waitlist fyi

They write that they care about privacy, so what is their business model exactly? Will there be a premium version?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

natlampe posted:

They write that they care about privacy, so what is their business model exactly? Will there be a premium version?

This... is a really good question. My baseless speculation would be that they're going for some big payout from Google for default search engine privileges once the user base is big enough (Firefox mostly survives because Google pays them half a billion dollars a year for this). Or maybe they're hoping to get bought by a bigger fish? Interviews make all their goals seem kind of lofty, and using the browser feels kind of like what chromebooks should have felt like. So maybe there comes a point where it's a lightweight web based OS for whatever the chromebooks of tomorrow look like?

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVda3zFLlhc oh they've got a video answering that here. Ideas mentioned are paid Arc for Teams and a user generated market for boosts (their actually kind of cool feature that lets you tweak whatever you want in live websites). There's also this interview https://www.protocol.com/browser-company where they say 'it's too early, we're a startup', but also mention search licensing (the google thing I mentioned above)

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 25, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/rsgnl/status/1683857096654176257

How times change..

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I remember pirating an ipod touch ios major version upgrade back in the day

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Wikipedia posted:

Apple later allowed free downloads of the OS, especially for customers of older and no longer officially supported Macintosh computers, starting on June 30, 2021.
Lmao that mustve pleased like 7 whole nerds

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never understood why Apple charged for OS upgrades considering they were basically a big hardware copy protection dongle

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Never understood why Apple charged for OS upgrades considering they were basically a big hardware copy protection dongle

Iirc it was some sort of legal/contractual stipulation that required mountain lion and updates prior to it to cost $, maybe preventative action to avoid some weird antitrust exposure?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thanks Ants posted:

Did your new ISP provide you with IPv6 and your firewall was previously configured to use IPv6 where available so is now announcing IPv6 prefixes into your network?

Coming back to this. It was a simple solution... it was actually NOT connected to the general Wifi we use, but rather a walled off guest Wifi for some VR devices. CompanyVR vs CompanyVP was the SID and I just misread it in the dropdown.

All good!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Iirc it was some sort of legal/contractual stipulation that required mountain lion and updates prior to it to cost $, maybe preventative action to avoid some weird antitrust exposure?

Yeah it’s something weird like this and I think the same thing applied to iPhone OS’s first update too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was quite a sea change just getting it down to :20bux: when prior to that any OS upgrade would cost upwards of $129 thanks to the Windows precedent.

Great way to ensure people stay with outdated software forever

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't even think OSX updates had any sort of license or product key back then - I sure as hell wasn't paying any money to upgrade my 2005 PowerBook's OS while I was in college.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Corb3t posted:

I don't even think OSX updates had any sort of license or product key back then - I sure as hell wasn't paying any money to upgrade my 2005 PowerBook's OS while I was in college.

I think there was also a long period where products purchased within it would not pay for updates because it was included as a line item in the final purchase price.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i have an insane question

I swear to god music sounds better from my M1 macbook pro than it does from my iphone 11. Using beats fit pro.

impossible to describe, it just sounds more full. i've switched back and forth with the same track, the difference is obvious. the equalizer is off on my phone, and i don't know of such a thing on my macbook

is there a setting or something somewhere i'm missing...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

macOS can apparently do the aptX codec if the headphones support it, iPhone cannot. I don't know if your headphones can.