Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Perestroika posted:

I'm currently getting into Insurgency Sandstorm, and one thing I do enjoy is that there's quite thorough bullet penetration mechanics. Turns out that bit of sheet metal fence won't be protecting you from much of anything, and even brick wall only goes so far. Best of all is that it really gives a role to the heavier guns that would otherwise just be sort of overkill. When agun says "anti-materiel", it means it. :allears:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/495308924178661377/1131290492622086144/boop.mp4

Arma takes the cake with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cix07R1vlhI&t=715s

And I would like to note how terrifying it sounds when a machine gun is firing at you in Arma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od6tJw2280&t=224s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into it, but in Fallout New Vegas iirc you learn that the Fiends, a wildly unpredictable raider gang of drug addicts and lunatics, are being kept supplied by the Legion to keep the NCR garrisons at New Vegas busy and off-balance. The Fiends are also specifically equipped with energy weapons of all kinds, high-end ones at the point when you encounter them, to a degree matched only by the Brotherhood of Steel. (when not charging at you with hilariously weak gimmick melee weapons like pool cues. Or in the case of Driver Nephi, dangerously powerful gimmick melee weapons) I'd assumed that the Legion, who famously disdain advanced technology and don't use energy weapons, are sending all the ones they acquire to the Fiends just to get some use out of them.

it's possible. high-ranking legionairres do use hi-tech stuff though (e.g. displacer gloves, thermal lances); the low-tech-only line is just for the rank and file

another option is that the fiends looted vault 3 when they took it over

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

And I would like to note how terrifying it sounds when a machine gun is firing at you in Arma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Od6tJw2280&t=224s
Heck, this video was extremely interesting breakdown how gun sounds work. I used to follow dslyecxi years ago, but not anymore so I hadn't seen it before. Thanks for sharing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's possible. high-ranking legionairres do use hi-tech stuff though (e.g. displacer gloves, thermal lances); the low-tech-only line is just for the rank and file

I think it's probably a bit of both. Also note that the high-tech stuff the Legion uses is mostly melee weapons, which still fit with their usual fighting style.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Exoprimal is about two teams racing through objectives to win, but if you both finish within 15 seconds of the other the game just gives both teams the victory.

Doesn't ever tell you it's doing this, but it's nice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who is the market analyst that keeps looking at fun concepts for chill co-op games and adds pointless competitive modes to them. And where do they live. I just have questions.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Who is the market analyst that keeps looking at fun concepts for chill co-op games and adds pointless competitive modes to them. And where do they live. I just have questions.

If this is about Exoprimal it just kinda works. I dunno, I've never been into hero shooters but somehow this racing against other teams with maybe 30 secs of PvP at the end of the match does it for me.

Plus the story is bonkers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's a biome in remnant 2 that rips off bloodborne so relentlessly and so shamelessly that it becomes an art form in itself

and the few parts of it that aren't taken directly from bloodborne tend to be spookier

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

:same:

And why is PvPvE an exclusive thing? You have PvP, and you have PvE code in your game. Can't you separate that out for those of us that don't feel the competitive urges?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:same:

And why is PvPvE an exclusive thing? You have PvP, and you have PvE code in your game. Can't you separate that out for those of us that don't feel the competitive urges?

Exoprimal is apparently adding a pure PvE mode later on because people have been asking for it so much.

How they didn’t think people would want something like that to the point it apparently didn’t occur to them to include it from the start is baffling.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Tarkov is popular so we gotta have pvpve

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Exoprimal would be very boring without the PvP. Two teams competing is like the fundamental design philosophy underneath everything. Even the PvE mode is competitive with another team.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Necrothatcher posted:

Exoprimal would be very boring without the PvP. Two teams competing is like the fundamental design philosophy underneath everything. Even the PvE mode is competitive with another team.

The game is sold entirely on shooting dinosaurs, why would the players want to shoot anything else?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The bit about exoprimal dragging it down for me is that pvp bs. I am having fun fighting dinos with my friends i dont need a poorly designed AI character calling me slow while that happens

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Speaking of Vault 3, I think the game trolled me pretty good with Motor Runner. During the game you get the choice to not kill people by making deals with them. You get the same option with Motor Runner and even get a "speech check succeeded" but then he refuse to accept the deal and fight you anyway.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I loved this little detail in Mafia 3: because the game is set in 1969, when you're driving through tunnels, the radio gets tinny and kinda crappy. And then once you're out of the tunnel, the sound clears up again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA is also quite good at messing with the radio in a way that fits the time period. When someone is just about to call you in GTA IV, the car radio will make that irritating electronic hum and stutter. It's almost eerie how well done it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmmQgEDOf08&t=4s

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I loved this little detail in Mafia 3: because the game is set in 1969, when you're driving through tunnels, the radio gets tinny and kinda crappy. And then once you're out of the tunnel, the sound clears up again.

It's not as fun as the radio thing, but if you go into a bar/restaurant that says "whites only," you'll get yelled at by people and have a "Trespassing" warning on-screen... until you go into the kitchen.

I really liked the documentary framing story, particularly John Donovan testifying before the committee. That also includes the post-credits scene, with a rare appropriate use of "Fortunate Son."

The music in that game was generally really good and well-used, except for the modern-day punk covers or whatever that play during the final mission. What the gently caress was that poo poo?

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 23, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA SA has a number of lines specific to the very last mission state where Los Santos incites a full on riot and you can only hear them if you hijack a cop car and hit the radio. They're kinda scary when you consider the whole scenario is based on the' 92 LA riots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggx2Od2PFlI

"Ganton's burning..!" That's Grove Street :ohdear:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

beats for junkies posted:

It's not as fun as the radio thing, but if you go into a bar/restaurant that says "whites only," you'll get yelled at by people and have a "Trespassing" warning on-screen... until you go into the kitchen.

I really liked the documentary framing story, particularly John Donovan testifying before the committee. That also includes the post-credits scene, with a rare appropriate use of "Fortunate Son."

The music in that game was generally really good and well-used, except for the modern-day punk covers or whatever that play during the final mission. What the gently caress was that poo poo?

That post credits stinger was legit one of the first things I ever heard about the game. It's one of those things that you hear described and go "well surely they're exaggerating." But no. They weren't. It's actually why I'm playing now. I had to see how they got to that point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

GTA is also quite good at messing with the radio in a way that fits the time period. When someone is just about to call you in GTA IV, the car radio will make that irritating electronic hum and stutter. It's almost eerie how well done it is.

The remote detonator in Hardspace Shipbreaker also does this, even though it's set hundreds of years in the future :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

The remote detonator in Hardspace Shipbreaker also does this, even though it's set hundreds of years in the future :shrug:

Lynx Corp only gives you the best* equipment available!

*priced

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In H:S, you're a (literally) disposable grunt who has to rent their probably second hand equipment. I think it makes thematic sense that your remote detonator interferes with your radio. The radio also cuts out when you bop your head.

e:f, b with more words

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hel posted:

The game is sold entirely on shooting dinosaurs, why would the players want to shoot anything else?

Absolutely. I played the demo/beta thing they released a while back and was loving shooting dinosaurs. Then they go, 'Now it's a competition!' and I immediately quit out.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing an RPG on switch called Destiny Connect: Tick Tock Travellers (where children have to time travel to try to figure out why time froze on the stroke of midnight of the new millenium and weird machines started attacking anyone who was still unfrozen). I like the central mystery because it's such a weird situation and the enemies have a lot of cute puns in their names. Also some of the progression mechanics like upgrading the robot party member and strengthening skills make really noticeable differences and are really satisfying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've started playing Dodgeball Academia and it has a feature I'd love to see in every game (but I understand is not simple to make): under the Languages menu, you can turn on something called "Learning Mode", and set it to a different language. This will let you, at any time, press a button to make a translation of text on the screen show up in the language you have chosen (or change UI elements into the language you have chosen). Any time. Mid-battle, dialogue, in a menu, whatever.

So, for example, I could set the game to English, and then set the Learning Mode language to Japanese(which I don't speak very well). I press a button, and now any UI text turns Japanese. If there is dialogue on the screen, it stays in english but a japanese translation shows up at the bottom of the screen. It's amazing. My gf speaks pretty good french, and I can set the languages to English/french (you can change the learning language dynamically with the push of a button), and she can just read the French and refer back to the English dialogue if there's any word she doesn't quite get.

I would use this in every single game it's available in, dang.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CJacobs posted:

That particular sound takes me back to middle/high school in the strangest way. :kiddo:

Getting older sucks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

I think it's a 'If it's not broke don't fix it' situation. Like how we're still using floppy disks as save icons despite that being outdated for nearly everyone.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing Aeterna Noctis, which is similar to Hollow Knight with a few gameplay tweaks. It's got it's ups and downs (literally a Darkness vs. Light story to kick things off, the player character and enemy designs looks a little bit like AdventureQuest), but there's a few things that have really stood out (some minor area/mechanic spoilers, but I won't spoil some of the real "oh poo poo" moments):

• All of the movement is very snappy and fine-tuned, if you played Hollow Knight then a lot of that muscle memory slots right into this game pretty well. There's a few quirks to get used to, but it controls wonderfully.
  • The movement starts out pretty basic, and your classics do show up eventually (double jump, dash, pogo) but after the second or third main story dungeon it introduces a new mechanic: the crystal arrow. When you fire the crystal arrow, it travels at an OK speed through the air. Within a certain distance of the arrow during this flight, or when the arrow is stuck into a surface, you can press LT to instantly teleport to where the arrow is. This opens up movement in a huge way, and the entire back half of the game relies on it for its platforming puzzles.
  • The area designs are gorgeous. The opening area is a dark, rainy, dreary place that looks like it belongs in Hollow Knight. Once you get past its Eastern Wall, you move to a Catacombs area with lots of spike and spear traps. After that you can go down into a cavern/mine area, but if you keep going East you'll end up at the Tower of Light, a gigantic, radiant tower with a huge column of light pulsing in its center. It occasionally overloads with Light and fires off the column straight up through the center of the entire tower, distorting the area around it and really selling just how powerful that beam of light is.
  • There's also an area that looks like it came straight out of Brutal Legend. Metal spikes? Check. Raining Blood? Check. Red/Black shadow creatures? Check. Is it all a bit hokey? Yes. While the Tower of Light belongs to the Queen of Light (whom is your greatest enemy that you're locked into an eternal battle with), this area is yours, motherfucker. King of Darkness has to have his lake of blood and whatnot :allears: It's so funny that, presumably, he's made the place up like this on purpose. You just know this dude's bedroom has a 10-CD Player with 9 albums of Slayer/Megadeth/Metallica and 1 album by The Cure.
  • The game has "Noctis" difficulty (hard mode), which is what the game was originally designed around. It's hard. The second Catacombs area has a few rooms that are reminiscent of the White Palace from Hollow Knight, complete with timed spear traps jutting out of the floors, walls, and ceilings. That area is before Main Dungeon 1 of 7.
  • To offset this, the game hands out checkpoints like it's candy on Halloween, and the "bloodstain" mechanic a la Dark Souls can be negated by equipping a gem at one of the warp points.
  • There's also a constant reminder in the Pause menu that you can lower the difficulty to "Aeterna" (easy* mode that was added after release) at any time, and you can also raise the difficulty as well. There's differences with platforms, traps, enemy placement, boss health, and all kinds of stuff. The only thing the game penalizes you with is the achievements: if you want the "beat X boss in Hard Mode" achievement then obviously you can't do it on easy mode.
  • There's a gem that makes your Double Jump a Triple Jump. It's honestly the only way I'd play the game, because there's some jumps that would require messing with other abilities that you can just do a triple jump instead. It feels almost designed with the triple jump in mind, but judging from some discussion threads I've seen online, there's definitely a group of people out there who think it's not the "true experience" if you use it, so it's not original with the game.
  • Bosses hit that perfect balance where the first fight is "what the gently caress is happening I'm already dead" and by the time you beat the boss, you're pogoing off their head instead of scrambling for heals between phases, just because you can.

*easy does not mean Aeterna Mode is a cakewalk, it's still challenging, but it's easier than Noctis mode

To close out the post I'm gonna toss a few timg'd screenshots of the game I pulled from a few review sites:

Game's pretty! :buddy:

bawk has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Jul 24, 2023

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Nexomon Extinction is a pokemon clone that has two great little things going for it. First, enemy trainers reset very quickly so you can grind money/exp super fast if you feel like it. Second, the writing does not take itself seriously at all. One of the side quests is from a ghost who asks you to go to his old house and delete his browser history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bawk posted:

I've been playing Aeterna Noctis, which is similar to Hollow Knight with a few gameplay tweaks. It's got it's ups and downs (literally a Darkness vs. Light story to kick things off, the player character and enemy designs looks a little bit like AdventureQuest), but there's a few things that have really stood out (some minor area/mechanic spoilers, but I won't spoil some of the real "oh poo poo" moments):

• All of the movement is very snappy and fine-tuned, if you played Hollow Knight then a lot of that muscle memory slots right into this game pretty well. There's a few quirks to get used to, but it controls wonderfully.
  • The movement starts out pretty basic, and your classics do show up eventually (double jump, dash, pogo) but after the second or third main story dungeon it introduces a new mechanic: the crystal arrow. When you fire the crystal arrow, it travels at an OK speed through the air. Within a certain distance of the arrow during this flight, or when the arrow is stuck into a surface, you can press LT to instantly teleport to where the arrow is. This opens up movement in a huge way, and the entire back half of the game relies on it for its platforming puzzles.
  • The area designs are gorgeous. The opening area is a dark, rainy, dreary place that looks like it belongs in Hollow Knight. Once you get past its Eastern Wall, you move to a Catacombs area with lots of spike and spear traps. After that you can go down into a cavern/mine area, but if you keep going East you'll end up at the Tower of Light, a gigantic, radiant tower with a huge column of light pulsing in its center. It occasionally overloads with Light and fires off the column straight up through the center of the entire tower, distorting the area around it and really selling just how powerful that beam of light is.
  • There's also an area that looks like it came straight out of Brutal Legend. Metal spikes? Check. Raining Blood? Check. Red/Black shadow creatures? Check. Is it all a bit hokey? Yes. While the Tower of Light belongs to the Queen of Light (whom is your greatest enemy that you're locked into an eternal battle with), this area is yours, motherfucker. King of Darkness has to have his lake of blood and whatnot :allears: It's so funny that, presumably, he's made the place up like this on purpose. You just know this dude's bedroom has a 10-CD Player with 9 albums of Slayer/Megadeth/Metallica and 1 album by The Cure.
  • The game has "Noctis" difficulty (hard mode), which is what the game was originally designed around. It's hard. The second Catacombs area has a few rooms that are reminiscent of the White Palace from Hollow Knight, complete with timed spear traps jutting out of the floors, walls, and ceilings. That area is before Main Dungeon 1 of 7.
  • To offset this, the game hands out checkpoints like it's candy on Halloween, and the "bloodstain" mechanic a la Dark Souls can be negated by equipping a gem at one of the warp points.
  • There's also a constant reminder in the Pause menu that you can lower the difficulty to "Aeterna" (easy* mode that was added after release) at any time, and you can also raise the difficulty as well. There's differences with platforms, traps, enemy placement, boss health, and all kinds of stuff. The only thing the game penalizes you with is the achievements: if you want the "beat X boss in Hard Mode" achievement then obviously you can't do it on easy mode.
  • There's a gem that makes your Double Jump a Triple Jump. It's honestly the only way I'd play the game, because there's some jumps that would require messing with other abilities that you can just do a triple jump instead. It feels almost designed with the triple jump in mind, but judging from some discussion threads I've seen online, there's definitely a group of people out there who think it's not the "true experience" if you use it, so it's not original with the game.
  • Bosses hit that perfect balance where the first fight is "what the gently caress is happening I'm already dead" and by the time you beat the boss, you're pogoing off their head instead of scrambling for heals between phases, just because you can.

*easy does not mean Aeterna Mode is a cakewalk, it's still challenging, but it's easier than Noctis mode

To close out the post I'm gonna toss a few timg'd screenshots of the game I pulled from a few review sites:

Game's pretty! :buddy:

AN is a lot of fun but yeah releasing with Kaizo Mode being the default really turned a lot of people off it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

One of the side quests is from a ghost who asks you to go to his old house and delete his browser history.

IDK sounds like a very good reason to tarry on this mortal plane to me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

AN is a lot of fun but yeah releasing with Kaizo Mode being the default really turned a lot of people off it.

I dunno, so far I've had two times where I had to stop and walk away from a particularly tough part only to find out I'm at a place too early and missing an important upgrade. After coming back to it, it was manageable with checkpoints.

Except the emperor's tomb. That place is Kaizo. It took me over 100 deaths to clear door 4, which was brutal. Probably easier on Aeterna but I'm a stubborn bastard and just got a new controller that let me breeze through a different tough area, so I didn't want to admit defeat :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bawk posted:

I dunno, so far I've had two times where I had to stop and walk away from a particularly tough part only to find out I'm at a place too early and missing an important upgrade. After coming back to it, it was manageable with checkpoints.

Except the emperor's tomb. That place is Kaizo. It took me over 100 deaths to clear door 4, which was brutal. Probably easier on Aeterna but I'm a stubborn bastard and just got a new controller that let me breeze through a different tough area, so I didn't want to admit defeat :v:

It should be noted that the current version is easier than the launch version, with more generous checkpointing and some really really lovely jumping physics fixed. It was a really hard sell when it came out but it's improved a lot.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This is less "little thing in a game" and more "the 'game' is a little thing", but Placid Plastic Duck Simulator is both an adorable and V I B E S screensaver-type thing. :allears:

Chill by a pool (either tropical or ski lodge), listen to lo-fi beats/vaporwave, and watch rubber ducks slowly spawn. Some of them have weird abilities and will interact with each other!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Destiny Connect: Tick Tock Travellers on Switch, which is very cute and has quite charming writing. It has fun takes on common cliches, like when the protagonist first gets curious about this weird thing that happened outside of town a few months prior and wants to investigate, and her cowardly friend is just like "Are you sure? This sounds dangerous, think about this!" and she's just like "You're right, I wasn't thinking... we don't even know where it happened. We'd better ask around!" and he's like "That's NOT what I meant!"

Also the primary story beats so far are weird enough that it's pulling me in as the thing that first gets the protagonist to time travel is that on the stroke of midnight at the start of the year 2000, everyone in town is frozen except for a small group of random people, and everyone who isn't frozen gets attacked by the town's machines that come to life and become malevolent, so why the hell that's happening is a fun mystery.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It should be noted that the current version is easier than the launch version, with more generous checkpointing and some really really lovely jumping physics fixed. It was a really hard sell when it came out but it's improved a lot.

That explains a lot! Probably also where the triple jump gem came from, I can't imagine playing without it.

There's still some wonky physics in the really precise places. Door 4 of the emperor's tomb has a nook you're supposed to quickly wall jump to in order to reset your jumps, with a very clearly safe ceiling to bonk your head on underneath some spikes. The spike hitbox goes through that ceiling, so if you bonk your head you die.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been slowly working my way through AssCreed Black Flag, and I'm up to the point where I'm actively going out doing ocean combat and upgrading my own ship, it's a lot of fun. It was some of my favorite stuff in Odyssey, so I'm pleased to see it holds up jumping back a fair number of releases in the series. It definitely feels a lot closer in execution than the parkour and combat, which feel like they still had a ways to go in terms of refinement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

God, Destiny Connect has the most bonkers acronym. This has to be the wonkiest acronym ever. The Boss's name is status MAX. What does MAX stand for? It's actually Mechanical Absorption Combat Kiln System. The Acronym's words actually spell MACKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Honestly English would be a lot more efficient and a lot cooler if cks/ks was always just replaced with an x.