Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Who was the Asian Ken supposed to be and why was Beach Ken so insecure around him?

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not sure about the scene.

In the real world Barbie timeline/canon Ken and Barbie are going through a "separation, but are still good friends". This was announced a year or two before they released Barbies of the world, which featured Asian Ken. They (most likely) made one of the most iconic couples break up... just to make sure Barbie doesn't have an an Asian boyfriend, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you think I'm dissing Allan you're sorely mistaken. That guy will throw hands at the drop of a hat.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
haven't watch it yet, but yea this is gonna break records since at my theater, its devoting like 90% of all screens to it. And looking at the seat reservations, they look like they're actually getting filled.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

GateOfD posted:

haven't watch it yet, but yea this is gonna break records since at my theater, its devoting like 90% of all screens to it. And looking at the seat reservations, they look like they're actually getting filled.
I've never seen my local theater so packed as I have for this movie (and presumably Oppenheimer as well), and that's in a decently sized city. Almost every showing on opening weekend was sold out, there were massive crowds when I saw it on Saturday, and on Sunday when I went back to see Oppenheimer there was a huge line just to get tickets scanned, which I've never seen before (at least since before theaters started doing assigned seating).

Also my audience had great energy, this is a fun one to watch in the theaters.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Tuesday is my theatre day since it’s my day off, so looked at what was available, and it’s all pretty filled on a weekday. (Granted, it is still summer break for most)
Yea like I know most people hate people in theatres. But I enjoy a packed audience

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 25, 2023

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
This movie was terrific and a lot of fun. Yeah the feminism it was purveying was very cishet, but it would have been naive to expect anything more than that from The [BRAND] Movie. For a blockbuster of this size I’m impressed they were able to make the social commentary that they did, to be honest. E.g. I was not at all expecting Ken getting red pilled to be a major plot point.

Crocobile posted:

Also I’m shocked horses were coded as a male thing. 0% horse girl representation.

This is one of the only things that really didn’t resonate with me. The only “horse people” I’ve come across in my life have been girls/women (extremely anecdotal, I know).

Is the joke a straight-up “this is a stereotypically male thing” that didn’t land with me because of where I grew up and live (urban areas in Europe), or was there a different layer to the joke? I was trying to parse it in the same vein as the Godfather and acoustic guitar strumming jokes, but it didn’t work for me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Yea unless they trying to link horses with cowboys, but I remember seeing tons of girl marketed horse toy accessories and such.
And Lisa in early Simpsons was very into horses and pony’s as one of her traits

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's definitely weird. For boys, a horse is just an accessory to a cowboy or a knight. Girls are the ones where the horse is the main toy or just as important as the main toy. That was a weird a aspect to the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Because Barbieland is specifically Gloria's doll-rated fantasy, Kendom is her distorted image of what "boy culture" is like.

This is why it's totally out of touch and based on stuff like: a young Sylvester Stallone, cowboy toys, 90s beer commercials, karate bandanas, Matchbox 20, Bill Clinton, the musical 'Grease'....

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

All Ken knows is that horses look cool, are strong and fast, and get to run free - of course he would use that as the animal of choice for the Kens.The joke is that Ken has no idea that affinity for horses is a gendered thing in the real world, so in his misguided attempt to be uber-masculine he fixates on an animal associated with little girls.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Because Barbieland is specifically Gloria's doll-rated fantasy, Kendom is her distorted image of what "boy culture" is like.

This is why it's totally out of touch and based on stuff like: a young Sylvester Stallone, cowboy toys, 90s beer commercials, karate bandanas, Matchbox 20, Bill Clinton, the musical 'Grease'....

That brief sequence in Century City makes a lot more sense now. :tipshat:

As an aside, it was mentioned upthread that the girlboss feminism of the 2010s is now considered gauche and kinda over. I had noticed this in my circle for awhile but for a mass market blockbuster to heavily imply that too really drives home how widespread the abandonment of that particular type of feminism has been.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gloria felt like she had some Tina Belcher hours growing up though which still makes it weird the horsegirl fell through the cracks.

Even as a kid I feel like I remember seeing commercials for Barbies that came with horses. Everything else is spot on though

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Alrite, gonna watch it today, only because everyone else is too.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Another thought: the plot with the board could've been excised; they could've just failed at crossing into Barbieland as they don't accomplish anything meaningful there or come to represent anything. Actually, what should have happened: the Mattel board comes to Barbieland, sees the aesthetics of patriarchy and goes oh, this is just the veneer of power, here is what power is; they impose capital, because they are a board; Barbieland is under threat of real-rear end patriarchy now and there are stakes and reasons for both Barbies and Kens to see the lil gender and subjectivity veil and make some effort to grapple with it. Obviously this doesn't fly since it's an official Mattel film. So instead Will Farrell gets some good lines but is otherwise just kinda there.

This is a good post and I liked it. I wasn't inclined to reject Barbie wanting to be human out of hand but it does answer my question earlier. I think if they'd pushed the "being [occupying a personally realised subject position] is complicated, do you want it" with America rather than the old lady it would've been a lot cleaner, but I guess America has to exist in the realm of "lean in" feminism, herself answering questions no one in the film actually meaningfully asks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't think a movie has to have core themes. It is absolutely fun to analyze them (btw, thanks for the Foucaltian analysis upthread, that was awesome!) though.

Yeah, the Mattel board took WAY too much of the movie. Maybe it's just that I'm not a Will Ferrell gal.

e: Doc Fission, I think the point is that Ruth is Barbie's God creator. It's different when your creator gives you permission to do something than when your owner gives you permission. The creator doesn't play with/manipulate you; the creator helps you comprehend yourself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is driving me nutty

Was there a significance to the high school being named Davy Crockett

There is none in CA the only one is in TN

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Alan Smithee posted:

This is driving me nutty

Was there a significance to the high school being named Davy Crockett

There is none in CA the only one is in TN

it was shot at paul revere middle school in la, i assumed it was just a production thing were it was an easy swap from one bit of hagiography americana to another without needing to think about it too much

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I wonder if that choice had anything to do with the fact that Davy Crockett had some pop culture relevance around the time Barbie was invented. There was that TV show, song, and the raccoon hat thing. (I was also associating the horses = patriarchy bit to 50s/60s westerns.)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Bon Voyage to reality and good luck restoring the membrane that separates our world from theirs so you don't get cellulite! WOOOO!!

I was worried the marketing machine would raise my expectations too high but this was really enjoyable. I love deadpan existential humour, throw in an animatronic pooping dog and I'm laughing. Margot Robbie does great work here and is dropping tears like her life depends on it. Ryan Gosling really commits to the bit.

I have no idea how Greta Gerwig's screenplay managed to clear the Mattel/Barbie brand guidelines. Even acknowledging the belief that Barbies sent the feminist movement back by fifty years is a surprising inclusion to a heavily corporate film. Based on the opening weekend it's clearly working out for them though.

During the ending scene with Barbie and Ruth my Fitbit notified me that my heart rate was at 130 and asked if I was okay. Never had that happen before. I don't think I liked it though? Toppling a patriarchal society but choosing to live in one even more vulnerably just to be didn't strike me the same was as Lady Bird calling her parents. But then again, I'm just a Ken.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shneak posted:

But then again, I'm just a Ken.

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Back from it.
Ryan Gosling as Ken was great. And really delivered in every scene he was in. He became Ken. Margot was also very good as Barbie. Followed by Weird Barbie.

As many said, the Mattel board overstayed, they could have just stayed where they were and the only scene needed was them tempting Barbie in the box. I hate Will Ferrel. Them acknowledging this happened before kind of opens up a lot more questions on the reality of the world that didn't need to have. I jiv'ed with Ken and I think they balanced it well when he tried to just walk into jobs in the real world, and denied because of credentials and just goes back to his land. Him parrot'ing back at Barbie her lines to him in the beginning was a good scene.

I liked the inclusion of the mom, the daughter was kind of meh. Like, is there really only Beach Kens in existence? Ryan's character identified as Beach Ken, but it looked everyone was Beach Kens. I wished there was a lot more dance choreography and songs than what they had. Was really into it, but then they cut most of the numbers out of nowhere. One of the best little details I liked is the doll-like way Barbie or Ken moves. I laughed when Ken put on two pairs of shades. Only other joke I liked was the commercial for depressed barbie.

The final climax conflict of stopping the men from voting to change the constitution was kind of meh. Do Kens even have the right to vote there? Are there even laws. Aren't there more Barbies than Kens, wouldn't they have won anyway.

Barbie choosing to be human was ok. Guess once you go flat feet, you can't go back.

oh, when it was "Kenland" I was like oh man, i would love a Ken doll with Ken accessories when I saw the MKII arcade cabinet toy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

They could sell a million of Ken's Mojo Dojo and I bet they will. People will "ironically" buy them and display them.

I did wish, a lot, that in the final shot of Barbieland there had been a little pointer to Ken Street. Surely the Kens deserve a street with their own houses.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What did the father say in Spanish at the end?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why settle for being a Ken when you can be an Allan?

:preacher:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"I'm very proud of you"

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"I'm so proud of you."

Pinball fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 26, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Joke Answer: "I gotta get me one of those mojo dojo house houses..."

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Doesn't Barbieland adjust itself based on who is playing with Barbie? Gloria isn't an active participant in Kendom's creation so I'm not sure how this reading is supported

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Rarity posted:

Anyway, the one exception: The Barbies dismantling the Kens by using their feminine wiles to play on their emotion was some pretty regressive bullshit instead of showing them how the patriarchy harms men too. Still loved the movie though. Maybe my favourite cinema experience ever???

It’s a meta political commentary.
Barbie land is the fantasy world, a utopian model. In Grettas words:
“What we've come to with Barbie is that it is authentically artificial”
The Barbies seize political control through distraction and causing infighting among the rival opposition. Ultimately their grand strategy is simply to vote and regain control of the Supreme Court. It’s self aware camp, mocking the fantasy of what’s happening in reality with politics and the Supreme Court. In reality people can’t just Vote in a replacement Supreme Court.

just a reminder that Gretta played with Barbie as a lost hollow synthetic toy icon that’s needing to face existential reality and ultimately everyone works together to save the fantasy world but not reality. But regardless of the flaws, there’s soul and it plays with cinema as authentically artificial

https://filmhounds.co.uk/2023/07/how-authentic-artificiality-and-the-bimbo-saved-barbie/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Doesn't Barbieland adjust itself based on who is playing with Barbie? Gloria isn't an active participant in Kendom's creation so I'm not sure how this reading is supported

In the same way that Barbie is specifically Gloria's Barbie, the unstated implication of the film is that there are Barbielands generated by anyone heavily invested in the "Barbie" brand. Since Gloria's Barbieland is purely imaginary, it also includes toys that Gloria is aware of but hasn't necessarily owned or played with. Some of the toy-concepts, as we see from her sketches, are products that don't even exist - but that she invents for herself. That's the entire plotline of Barbie getting anxiety.

And, later, it's why Kendom happens: it's Gloria's weird idea of if what happens Barbie if the character 'fails' and the brand is somehow 'overtaken by boys'.

Gerwig helpfully explained the joke in an interview. Asked why she included a joke about #ReleaseTheSnyderCut, she replied:

"I don't even really know. I knew Zack Snyder's Justice League was a thing, but I didn't know the contours, all the ins and outs. ... And I think that was the point: it was like Barbie had a vague knowledge of it, and then - all of a sudden, in a certain state - it really meant a lot to her. And then it went away."
-Greta Gerwig, edited for grammar & clarity

Like Gerwig herself, none of the characters in the film have actually seen Justice League, and they consequently hold no actual opinion of it. Gloria is only vaguely aware of it as "a boy thing", and the citizens of Kendom behave accordingly.

It's like in Solaris, when Kelvin interrogates this copy of his wife, and he realizes that she is sourced entirely from his memories. She is only Kelvin's distorted, incomplete idea of his wife.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 26, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Really good movie. Very smart and funny.

The mom's deprogramming pep talks and the creator's conversation with Barbie hit my wife hard. Touched on things she has struggled with.

Some loving hilarious jokes. I'm gonna miss this stuff when the writer's strike kicks in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Badger of Basra posted:

"I'm very proud of you"

That was the political statement they were upset with him for saying?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That was the political statement they were upset with him for saying?

No that was “sí se puede” or “yes we can” which is a slogan I believe from the UFW strikes of the 70s

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

movie getting an interesting reception in china:https://thechinaproject.com/2023/07/25/in-china-barbie-triggers-heated-discussions-on-patriarchy-and-feminism/

quote:

On popular Chinese film review site Douban, Barbie currently has more than 210,000 reviews and an admirable rating of 8.6 out of 10. The majority of the comments are positive, with many pointing to its feminist message as a highlight. “It was the best moviegoing experience I’ve had in a while. I saw it in a theater packed full of women and we were completely on the same page when laughing at things we could relate to. Greta Gerwig is such a genius to make a blockbuster that tackles serious issues like patriarchy and capitalism,” a Douban user from Sichuan wrote. Another female viewer from Jiangsu, who gave Barbie five stars, said, “As Chinese women, we don’t get a lot of opportunities to go to the cinema and watch something made almost entirely from a female perspective.”

Some fans of the film mocked those who criticized it for being anti-men and too feminist. In a Weibo post that has received more than 310,000 likes, its creator shared a selection of negative reviews about the film on Douban, writing, “I’ve told you guys that some people would freak out over the film and my prediction was right.” In a screenshot included in the post, a Douban review says, “This film promotes problematic values. Women already have too much power now. What else do they want? We are living in a feminist society at the moment!” Another comment states, “Feminism is a cult. This is trashy propaganda.”

“Seeing these men lose their minds over Barbie just makes me like the film more,” a female Weibo user responded to the backlash, while another person wrote, “Rather than preaching ideologies, this film is a comedy for the most part. It’s not even that radical. But this is still too much for some men to take. This is hilarious!”

On Chinese social media, there has been a slew of posts about men walking out of Barbie screenings in displeasure. “I went to see Barbie with a girlfriend yesterday and a man was so offended that he stormed out of the theater. It’s crazy how a film could trigger such a dramatic reaction from him!” a Xiaohongshu user wrote. “I saw several men who went to see the film with their girlfriends and had their headphones on throughout the screening. Some even left before the screening ended,” another woman wrote, adding that these reactions “enhanced the satirical nature” of the film.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Badger of Basra posted:

No that was “sí se puede” or “yes we can” which is a slogan I believe from the UFW strikes of the 70s

Yeah, UFW started using it during César Chávez era.
I still see/hear it regularly here in south Texas.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sí se puede is also basically coopted as a generic cheer now, but considering who this is it's probably the former yeah

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

I haven't laughed that hard in a movie since Jojo Rabbit. It strikes the right chord of self-deprecating meta absurdism that flicks my giggle switch. Lots of pink-wearing patrons laughing along made the theater experience especially memorable. It wasn't until afterwards when my friend asked me "How did Barbie make you feel as a man?" did I suspect I was being brainwashed by a feminist toy commercial.

In the same way that Barbie is specifically Gloria's Barbie, the unstated implication of the film is that there are Barbielands generated by anyone heavily invested in the "Barbie" brand. Since Gloria's Barbieland is purely imaginary, it also includes toys that Gloria is aware of but hasn't necessarily owned or played with. Some of the toy-concepts, as we see from her sketches, are products that don't even exist - but that she invents for herself. That's the entire plotline of Barbie getting anxiety.

I agree with this but also think the Real World is also Gloria's interpretation of her work, daughter, and self-image. The exclusively inferior portrayals of Barbieland and Real World men are due to Gloria's resentment of her bosses' greed, her husband's docile incompetency, and her ex's mansplainations. As Barbie red-pills herself to accept real womanhood, Gloria's fulfils her fantasy of creating new doll designs and restores her mother-daughter bond.

Despite portraying men negatively, it felt like a comedy roast more than dehumanizing propaganda.

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 26, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When I saw Burn After Reading this old couple ran out of the theater when the dildo chair showed up. It was one of the funniest theater experiences I've ever had and I think about it every time I watch the movie. If I saw a bunch of grumpy dudes with headphones storm out of Barbie I think that would top it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maybe the funniest thing to happen in journalism in the past 50 years is reporting on individual social media comments and how many likes they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Fred Dawes posted:

I haven't laughed that hard in a movie since Jojo Rabbit. It strikes the right chord of self-deprecating meta absurdism that flicks my giggle switch. Lots of pink-wearing patrons laughing along made the theater experience especially memorable. It wasn't until afterwards when my friend asked me "How did Barbie make you feel as a man?" did I suspect I was being brainwashed by a feminist toy commercial.

I agree with this but also think the Real World is also Gloria's interpretation of her work, daughter, and self-image. The exclusively inferior portrayals of Barbieland and Real World men are due to Gloria's resentment of her bosses' greed, her husband's docile incompetency, and her ex's mansplainations. As Barbie red-pills herself to accept real womanhood, Gloria's fulfils her fantasy of creating new doll designs and restores her mother-daughter bond.

Despite portraying men negatively, it felt like a comedy roast more than dehumanizing propaganda.

Yeah, Ken makes more sense as a character if its part of Gloria's husband- resentment , both Ken and husband have a weak grasp on Spanish. They can't talk to her.

Another clue that the realworld is Gloria working through mother poo poo is Sasha, and her nickname, are named after Bratz dolls, the anti barbies. Her friends all resemble the other bratz-dolls. She conceptualized herself and her daughter as a toy product dialectic.

Its really a mothers midlife crisis film, complete with a post-partem depression baby doll bashing fantasy vision at the beginning.