Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBk4NYhWNMM

After a tiff with Warner Brothers over streaming being not real art or something, famed director Christopher Nolan has moved to Universal to follow up the mega success of Tenet with his new film, Barbie. While a bit of a swerve for the established director, who previously was known for cerebral dramas and gritty, grounded sci-fi fare, Nolan has decided to make a film providing some form of meta-commentary on a toy line that has defined generations of young girls, a simultaneous celebration and deconstruction of the character - similar to what he did for Batman, but now turned to something Nolan has always been passionate about writing; female characters.

Filmed in 70mm IMAX, a format supported by approximately thirty theaters nationwide and capable of converting to digital resolutions of up to 18K, Barbie will be Nolan's newest gambit to prove Cinema Isn't Dead and will probably still look okay on your local mall's digital projector from 2002. While plot details have been kept secretive, Barbie will likely deliver all the postmodern riffs you can expect from other toy classics like The Lego Movie, Battleship, and Playmobil: The Movie.

What movies do I have to watch before this one?

Oh, boy.

Will there be an original soundtrack?

No, but Nolan has recommended accompanying your three-hour drive to a proper IMAX theater with f#a# ∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Is this Cillian Murphy's final role?

Sadly, this is the final role Murphy filmed before turning into an actual Ken doll, but production is still wrapping on his role for Kraven the Hunter.

Is the Aqua song in this?

I don't know but that would be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who is this movie for?

The movie theater previews kinda flew over the younger kids’ heads, and I’m not sure if people dancing in a pink house or barbie getting sexually assaulted is supposed to pack the theater with kiddos.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Who is this movie for?

Me.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
my 65 year old father has expressed interest in seeing this, saying it looks funny.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
The trailer that parodied 2001 made me legit laugh. Maybe the movie will be funny? Doubtful, but maybe.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

3 A.M. Radio posted:

The trailer that parodied 2001 made me legit laugh. Maybe the movie will be funny? Doubtful, but maybe.

That trailer was cool and made me want to see the movie. The second trailer is not nearly as cool and made me lose interest in seeing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

[
Is the Aqua song in this?

I don't know but that would be pretty funny.

The Nicki Minaj song from the movie soundtrack samples the song.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Who is this movie for?

The movie theater previews kinda flew over the younger kids’ heads, and I’m not sure if people dancing in a pink house or barbie getting sexually assaulted is supposed to pack the theater with kiddos.

Gooniest thing I can imagine to look at a movie tracking for a $100 million+ opening weekend and say “who is this movie for?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Who is this movie for?

How are you even on the internet and you have this question?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It looks like the 90's Brady Bunch and Addams Family-style of lovingly taking the piss and I need more of that in my life.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

The NYT had an interesting write up of the movie/Gerwig. It mostly got me really excited, I think I'm most nervous about how they pull off Ken becoming red-pilled lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Captain Jesus posted:

That trailer was cool and made me want to see the movie. The second trailer is not nearly as cool and made me lose interest in seeing it.

Many such cases!

But I'm def still gonna see it and hope for the best

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

How are you even on the internet and you have this question?

I should have known better :corsair:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Okay just returned from an early screening of Barbie, here's some thoughts

Evening showing not too late (although everything ends late now), mostly youngish (late 20s to early 30s) crowd of women, gay men and boyfriends + 1 family with two tiny ~5 to 6 year old girls. One of the girls asked very loudly before the movie started "Why are there no kids here? It's about Barbie". Excited at the start, she scowled through out the whole movie. The 2001 moment from the trailer went down like a lead balloon. "Why are they destroying their own dolls?" was asked.

So yeah, not a film for kids, but a film kids can see (even though there's more than a couple extended double entendres and the thematic heart of film is not interesting or really relevant to kids). Probably as good an attempt at a feminist Barbie film as you can get without completely destroying the BRAND. (side note: they talk a big game about the idea of Barbie but you can feel Barbie the brand really squeezing the movie). A surprising amount of leeway given to joking/commenting about Mattel's and Barbie's flaws. The movie tries over and over again to have it's cake and eat too but really can't resolve the internal contradictions of a feminist Barbie movie. It can't satisfactorily change Barbie, her world, or the real world so largely settles for conflict and changing things within the logic of the film. Unfortunately, one of the big pieces of world building/plot logic that the film is based is that Ken and Barbie do not have a romantic or intimate relationship, which if you've seen how children play with Barbie and Ken is not true (especially as they get older).

Someone above mentioned the 90s Brady Bunch and Addams Family movies as comparison and that stands up. But imagine a completely neutered version of those and one which aggressively tries to remove all possibilities of camp from the movie. There's camp stuff in there (kind of) but it's buried rather than overt like the 90s movies. For example, Alan, Ken's "buddy" is kept as far a way from Ken as possible, I can't remember if they even interact. It's weird and probably indicative of how brand controlled this movie actually was, that a Barbie movie feels as conventionally heterosexual as this one does.

I found it enjoyable but not much more than that. I did see a number of watery eyes during the sappy bits, so clearly people will get more out of this one than I did.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 19, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I mean, if any movie's gonna feel like it's neutered, it would be Barbie, wouldn't it

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm not going to lie I've really enjoyed seeking out film guy conversations about how they don't get the appeal of this movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve just returned from an employee screening of this movie.

It’s loving insane. I can’t really catalog all my thoughts about it in any order because they’re so scattershot and disparate but I read a review that characterized it as the most “anti-blockbuster blockbuster” movie ever made and that seems about the right of it. I was expecting a Greta Gerwig flavored Barbie movie; what I got was a Greta Gerwig movie that just happened to star Barbie. Overall I greatly enjoyed it but I feel like its overall messaging and emotional thrust somehow both doesn’t completely work and utterly aware it doesn’t completely work. It feels like a movie that somehow uses the fact that it is not completely emotionally satisfying and sort of…confused to its benefit, trying to address some sort of deeper, quixotic statement about the human condition and internalizing its own hypocrisies and recognizing the dichotomy as deeply personal and human over, say, whatever bullshit Joss Whedon shits out when he puts a hat on something regressive while engaging in it. Ultimately it meets the viewer in good faith and tries to be honest and reflective of the human experience instead of just pointing it out to win imaginary cinemasins points like, again, everything Whedon has ever put out. That all being said, it’s an exhausting and overwhelming watch that never lets up, although ultimately I did very much enjoy it.

Oh, and the final scene is perfection. No notes. It’s, sincerely, a perfect final note to tie the movie up with and genuinely a beautiful sequence.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 20, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

thoughtdump post: saw an early screening in LA last night. i knew i was going to enjoy it, but i didn't think it was going to be THIS good.

ryan gosling is a comedic loving genius. my friend and i were loudly cracking up basically every time he was on screen. the whole audience was way into everything going on pretty much the entire time.

as for the demographic, it was mostly late twenties and thirty-somethings, but to my surprise there were a few adolescents there with their parents. i actually wound up sitting next to a little girl who had to have been maybe 11 or so? her and her mom were dressed up, and the kid seemed to be enjoying it more/as much as the parent. the kid leaned over to whisper something to the mom when greta gerwig and noah baumbach's names appeared on screen in the beginning and i chuckled thinking she was like "see, mom, that's the guy who did squid and the whale!"

i, along with a handful of others in the theater, wore deliberately over the top pink outfits, and i've never felt more spiritually connected to other film goers than this. not even for opening night at endgame or whatever. everyone was full send for something ridiculous and it was tons of fun.

and as ridiculous as the movie can be and mostly is, i think there's a good amount of greta/noah "real world heaviness" to it (applied through the lens of a toy brand) that lends credit to the movie for anyone who might disregard this as some cash grab to sell more products. the ending montage accomplishes so much with so little, and i couldn't help but think that it was far superior to what damien chazelle was trying to accomplish at the end of babylon (which was loving awful).

the juxtaposition of how men and women are, should be, are perceived, etc is done really well (again, for toy brand) and i appreciate how far they went with it. i think it says some things people won't expect it to say, and it says them more blatantly than a lot of other movies would or could get away with bc of the subject matter. at the end of the day, it can be criticized for being hypocritical bc no matter how meta or self referential mattel goes about the barbie brand, this movie is undoubtedly going to sell more barbies. but who loving cares? it works as a comedy and has some genuinely heartfelt things to say.

someone upthread asked who this movie was for. after the credits rolled, i couldn't help but think "who ISN'T this movie for?" i would recommend it to anyone i know whether they*like movies* or not, and if anyone who gives it a chance and thinks it's bad, i'd be pretty surprised.

i'm seeing it again tonight

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Sounds like it ISN’T for kids though, which is a shame, because i wanted to see it with my daughters.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i would say it's not for younger kids who you don't want to have hear direct references to vaginas and penises .

it's also not for men with fragile egos. there's a healthy amount of poking fun at the patriarchy that will trigger macho meatheads. i have bro dude tendencies, and i roll my eyes at some marvel shoehorned social commentary poo poo, but i'm also able to laugh at the "condition" of men in modern society and how absurd it is. this movie can be seen as a take down of masculinity (and im already seeing women on my instagram stories feed posting about how this movie will crush the patriarchy or whatever), but what i love about the movie is that in my opinion it actually shines a light on how men also have confusion about how or what they're supposed to be. it pays respect to all involved, tho i suppose there might be some backlash around lack of trans inclusion? but i wouldn't expect mattel to touch on that subject (either that or im ignorant to any that is included)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fez_machine posted:

It's weird and probably indicative of how brand controlled this movie actually was, that a Barbie movie feels as conventionally heterosexual as this one does.

Also I have no idea what this guy is talking about, the climax of this movie is one of the gayest things ever put on screen short of actual gay sex.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

i would say it's not for younger kids who you don't want to have hear direct references to vaginas and penises .

I wouldn't mind that at all but it sounds more like the movie would be boring for kids aged 4-7.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don’t think little kids, like kids under tiktok age and aren’t at least somewhat online, would get Literally Anything out of this movie outside the loving incredible set and prop design. Like every joke is based off poking fun at the weird sexist/sex-positive dual role Barbie the doll plays in modern society, with a heaping helping of commentary on corporate capitalism, pinkwashing, and general neoliberal thought. There’s not a bunch of pratfalls and pies being thrown in faces is my point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This movie will be the defining pop culture moment of our generation

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Almost everyone at my screening tonight was dressed in pink, which was fun. I don’t have many clothes in that color, so a pink Reservoir Dogs tshirt felt the obvious go to.

It’s just a small indie theater and I liked that there was enough demand they added a last minute second screen so everyone could see it. Also like the memes predicted, during the quiet bits with sincere speeches I could clearly hear the bombs boom over from the Oppenheimer screening. Perfection.

Overall the movie is controlled chaos from the word go. It covers all bases with such confidence you stop worrying that it’s going to crash and burn and just ride it. It’s every bit as loving weird as hell as I was hoping, and made me genuinely laugh more than anything I’ve seen in forever.

Gosling is absolutely fantastic and from what I remember of the trailers they’ve left most of his stuff a surprise. He’s so good you forget how perfect Margot is at times.

Really glad that after a final sequence in a white void where the concept of humanity is mulled over the film decides to end on a silly gag.

Kinda feel sorry for kids who would just want to go see a straight forward Barbie movie, though. It is PG-13 though so that’s on the parents.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Is Cock Ring Ken featured at all?

Atma_Weapon
Jun 18, 2004
There was one joke I missed with Michael Cera's character: It's when he tries to sneak out of Barbieland with the mother and daughter. I thought he said something about an Allen making it out before, but ??? happened. What was it?

The watching The Godfather joke was dead-on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atma_Weapon posted:

There was one joke I missed with Michael Cera's character: I thought he said something about an Allen making it out before, but ??? happened. What was it?

The bit where he mentioned that all members of NSync were Allans?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Atma_Weapon posted:

There was one joke I missed with Michael Cera's character: It's when he tries to sneak out of Barbieland with the mother and daughter. I thought he said something about an Allen making it out before, but ??? happened. What was it?

The watching The Godfather joke was dead-on.

He said “All of N*Sync? Allans! Yes, even him!”

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the mansplaining montage, especially the starter bit with the godfather, had me gasping for breath

there were a few moments that didn't really land but for the most part the movie walks its high wire act very well

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Felt like I was watching a high budget SNL skit. Couple of decent gags, but overall felt like a vapid meta commentary on the Barbie IP but it can't go far enough because it's the official Barbie movie.

The feminism commentary is the most basic cishet specific version of feminism, so I couldn't really connect with it on that angle either. Ryan Gosling was fun though.

Disappointing movie overall.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Roth posted:

Felt like I was watching a high budget SNL skit. Couple of decent gags, but overall felt like a vapid meta commentary on the Barbie IP but it can't go far enough because it's the official Barbie movie.

The feminism commentary is the most basic cishet specific version of feminism, so I couldn't really connect with it on that angle either. Ryan Gosling was fun though.

Disappointing movie overall.

Homie you’re retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

Yeah but as the film points out the basics of feminism are just absolutely loving undermined and need to be restated plainly and loudly

The movie wields the message with a sledgehammer but goddamn it loving needs to, especially because this is going to be a massive hit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I, Butthole posted:

Yeah but as the film points out the basics of feminism are just absolutely loving undermined and need to be restated plainly and loudly

The movie wields the message with a sledgehammer but goddamn it loving needs to, especially because this is going to be a massive hit.

I just found it alienating. The movie is very invested in what being a woman is like, and a lot of it was exclusionary for a non-passing trans woman.

I suppose that is accidentally true to my experience with how people to speak to me about feminism as a trans person. Even now some mouth breathing goon is calling me a retard for having very light criticism of the Barbie movie that just taught them feminist ideas from 2013 tumblr.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To rephrase a different way: All I got out of this on a deeper level than finding some gags funny was gender dysphoria.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

I just found it alienating. The movie is very invested in what being a woman is like, and a lot of it was exclusionary for a non-passing trans woman.

I suppose that is accidentally true to my experience with how people to speak to me about feminism as a trans person. Even now some mouth breathing goon is calling me a retard for having very light criticism of the Barbie movie that just taught them feminist ideas from 2013 tumblr.

Yeah I'm keenly aware that I'm approaching it from a straight white dude angle and I'm really not trying to be all like "yes but baby steps for the hets, you'll get there!!" but being in the trenches of high school teaching film and media made me feel very receptive to the message in a mainstream film.

I also feel like Gerwig and co might have been held back by Mattel is certain measures (Hari Nef being the victory there) as the thing is still at the end of a day a commercial to convey a product. Was a movie about Barbie (written by both gerwig and baumbach who to my knowledge haven't got a track record of trans representation anyway iirc) ever really going to have that? It probably should in a perfect world but realistically society and the film industry is only at a point where basic feminism can be stated plainly like this (and received as well as it is) if this flick is a barometer

It's hosed and horrible and I know saying that I got some small element of hope out of it doesn't answer the issues your lived experience had with it, but it shouldn't invalidate the (however basic) progress it marks invalid, right?

E:

Roth posted:

To rephrase a different way: All I got out of this on a deeper level than finding some gags funny was gender dysphoria.

this sucks in particular because some of my trans students are hella hyped to see it this weekend. I know not all experiences are shared but reflecting I could see that

I know my history means I probably shouldn't make declarations about the validity or importance of the message but I do want to discuss it because it's inevitable that the films gonna be a success and I wanna know how to approach that when talking to diverse crowds. I dunno if I'm talking myself in circles or just justifying it to myself but is there real harm in acknowledging the feminism is adherent to straight cis hegemony while also acknowledging that it fails the trans community? What's the entry point of that discussion?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Homie you’re retarded

gently caress off, nerd

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 21, 2023

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's fine, I'm more just dealing with my own dysphoria this weirdly caused in me.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Roth posted:

It's fine, I'm more just dealing with my own dysphoria this weirdly caused in me.

Don't feel pressure to respond to my dumbass questions BTW - I'm not trying to bait out an internet slapfight, I just am very aware I have no loving clue but you also aren't responsible for teaching me this poo poo. Hope you are feeling better and good cos you rule <3

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Saw this and Oppenheimer at the end of last night

Babylon was my film of the year until I saw Barbie. I don’t think anything is beating Barbie for it. Holy poo poo that was so fun and perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Hollismason posted:

Is Cock Ring Ken featured at all?

Yes, in a group of discontinued dolls. He also has one line; "I have a special earring!". He appears again during the credits when they show off select Barbie & Ken dolls.